Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Pre-Funeral Discussion and Reception

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believed he used a helicopter or vehicle. When I visited London in 2016, I arrived at Stansted Airport and caught the train. It was a smooth ride, but it still took 45 min or so (can't recall). I doubt the President will go by train.

It’s being reported that senior officials have asked The Prince and Princess of Wales to consider taking Prince George to the State Funeral.

It’s being reported that senior officials have asked The Prince and Princess of Wales to consider taking Prince George to the State Funeral.

We don’t know whether they intend to or not. Or did I miss something. Given the presence of some great grandchildren yesterday I would hazard a guess the oldest 5 may be there.

We don’t know whether they intend to or not. Or did I miss something. Given the presence of some great grandchildren yesterday I would hazard a guess the oldest 5 may be there.

The new reporting about this is just out FigTree.

Still “under discussion”, “good for the public to see”, for the young Prince to attend “in some capacity”, “ a powerful symbolic message”.

I personally could see him walk in with his parents and then at some stage … away from the cameras … be taken aside/ home. Job done.

I don’t see the possibility of any other of the children being there … it will be George or none.

Prince George is 9 years old, I think he can go, just like Princess Charlotte. I think he should go, especially George, who is called to be king one day.

The new reporting about this is just out FigTree.

Still “under discussion”, “good for the public to see”, for the young Prince to attend “in some capacity”, “ a powerful symbolic message”.

I personally could see him walk in with his parents and then at some stage … away from the cameras … be taken aside/ home. Job done.

I don’t see the possibility of any other of the children being there … it will be George or none.

It’s the Daily Mail and their article has vast inaccuracies. If George goes. The two older than him go.

They may all go to the service in St George.

The Wales have so far not let their children near anything when the other four of similar age were all their yesterday and I do find that odd.

Prince George is 9 years old, I think he can go, just like Princess Charlotte. I think he should go, especially George, who is called to be king one day.

Of course, it is a matter for his parents to decide, but I agree with Blog Real. He is 9 years old and second in line to the throne. He should be able to attend at least the shorter and more intimate committal service at Windsor if the funeral service at the Abbey is deemed too much for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Human Rights activists are unpleasantly surprised that the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia received an invitation and will be attending.

See: Verontwaardiging over uitnodiging aan Saudische kroonprins voor uitvaart Elizabeth - https://nos.nl/l/2444978

Protocols and Exhaustion

Photos of the Royal Family standing at the procession for the queen appeared on television today. Members of the family are beyond exhaustion. Guards and lords should be allowed to stand instead of the family. Many of the family are diabetic and long hours standing can cause them great pain. I ask that officers of the military, guards, barons and lords please go to see the queen. Offer to stand for any member of the family. Show up ready to work. Plead with the king to allow it. The king has had covid twice and must not stand for hours. Find any retired guards and ask them to stand in shifts. To the family I send my best wishes that you all get some rest. It is important to remember the queen and allow people to mourn, but not at the risk of the rest of the family.

All my love,
Suzzanah

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos of the Royal Family standing at the procession for the queen appeared on television today. Members of the family are beyond exhaustion. Guards and lords should be allowed to stand instead of the family. Many of the family are diabetic and long hours standing can cause them great pain. I ask that officers of the military, guards, barons and lords please go to see the queen. Offer to stand for any member of the family. Show up ready to work. Plead with the king to allow it. The king has had covid twice and must not stand for hours. Find any retired guards and ask them to stand in shifts. To the family I send my best wishes that you all get some rest. It is important to remember the queen and allow people to mourn, but not at the risk of the rest of the family.

All my love,
Suzzanah

I suspect many of the family, especially the King, are emotionally and physically exhausted. But none of them stood vigil at the lying in state for very long. It has been mostly guards.

Certain members of the family have been visiting those queuing to pay their respects to HM but not for very long either and there have been some days of downtime for most of them.

After the funeral the royal household has an additional week of mourning which is when I suspect many of them will get as much rest as they can before resuming official duties.

For many the ritualised mourning of planning and attending a funeral and the practical realities of death can actually help them process grief (although there's nothing on this scale for most people) and I suspect most if not all have wanted to take part in what they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako arrived at London Stansted Airport on September 17 around 6:30pm. They are staying at Claridge's hotel during their visit.

Photos: AP Images, Asahi
The Imperial couple flew on a government plane and apparently a 2nd government plane flew to Brussels as backup? Twitter following #JF01 and #JF02

There always is a 2nd aircraft when the Imperial Couple travels.Has been so with Emperor Akihito as well.

Btw,stop that mask nonsense,the pandemic is over,it has become an endemic,like the flue..

Last edited:
There always is a 2nd aircraft when the Imperial Couple travels.Has been so with Emperor Akihito as well.

Btw,stop that mask nonsense,the pandemic is over,it has become an endemic,like the flue..

Masks have for the longest time been common in south, east Asia, long before covid. And I don’t think it’s anyones business to say what someone else’s feel comfortable with. Each to their own.

And it has not yet been classed as an endemic illness.

The Bidens have arrived - flew into Stansted Airport. So, arrangements were made for one of the other London area airports, as expected.

Stansted is the airport usually used when POTUS visits. It was used when Trump visited in 2019 as well.

That sounds completely ignorant and arrogant to me:ermm:.

Japan still has the mask requirements so far. I know they're not in Japan now but still make sense for them to wear masks. And yes FigTree is right, wearing masks is a completely normal thing in east Asia, pandemic or not, sick or not.

I didn't know a 2nd plane was normal for the emperor, interesting. Thanks Lucien although I disagree about masks.

Thank you FigTree and W.Y.CII. Yes, wearing masks is normal in East Asia.

I also think it's prudent because what if they get Covid or get exposed to Covid between now and Monday? Imagine traveling all the way to the UK and not being able to attend the state funeral.

Kyodo also reports the Imperial couple will not meet Japanese living in the UK during their brief visit to prevent the spread of infection.

I suppose the invitation may have looked something like this, the invitation for the King of the Ashanti:
Thanks Skippy. I hope to see Masako attend all or most events but realistically I expect she will focus her energy and physical condition for the funeral.

It’s the Daily Mail and their article has vast inaccuracies. If George goes. The two older than him go.

They may all go to the service in St George.

The Wales have so far not let their children near anything when the other four of similar age were all their yesterday and I do find that odd.

The couple will do what is right for their children, which I do not find odd.

We need to remember William has first hand experience of a funeral.

At that time it was the press and public clamouring for public mourning. We have heard their thoughts since then regarding the experience, so why don't we let them decide as a family.

At the heart of this is a family mourning their beloved mother, grandmother and great grandmother.

William has refused to be pushed into other things in his life and he will only do it if he thinks George can handle it. Remember George will be sitting in full glare of the cameras in the front row, that might be too much for the boy.
Let them do what is right without looking for conspiracy theories,

All my love,
Suzzanah

What if they want to honour their mother in doing this, why should that be taken away from them. It is for 15 minutes.

All my love,
Suzzanah

Out of interest, who is diabetic and how do you know? I’m not aware of any reports of diabetes in the Queen’s family.

never heard of any in the RF being diabetic much less "many" of them

Prince Michael of Kent does not have the Garter and his wife does not have the family Order. I doubt King Charles III will give it to them.
Prince Harry does not have the Garter too . Princess Margaret did not have the Order but Princess Alexandra of Kent has it.

Prince Michael of Kent does not have the Garter and his wife does not have the family Order. I doubt King Charles III will give it to them.
Prince Harry does not have the Garter too . Princess Margaret did not have the Order but Princess Alexandra of Kent has it.

Prince Michael of Kent is a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, which he wore at Westminster Hall when the Queen's coffin arrived for the lying in state. That is the same decoration by the way that was given to King Albert when he was still Prince of Liège.

It just occurred to me that, unlike his father who wore the insignia of a GCVO to the Queen Mother's funeral, King Philippe is the only reigning European king who does not have a UK order. Nobody replied to my previous question about dress code, but if the European monarchs are in uniform tomorrow, as I expect them to be, King Philippe will have to wear his order of Leopold while the other kings (Carl Gustaf, Harald, Willem-Alexander, and Felipe) will be wearing the sash of the order of the Garter and Grand Duke Henri will be wearing the RVO.

Last edited:
I don’t think anything’s been said about the dress code.

Prince Andrew has just issued a tribute.

It may all be too much for the children. If George goes, I would think that Savannah, Isla and Mia will too, but we’ll have to see what happens.

I don’t think anything’s been said about the dress code.

Prince Andrew has just issued a tribute.

It may all be too much for the children. If George goes, I would think that Savannah, Isla and Mia will too, but we’ll have to see what happens.

Thanks, Alison H. Hopefully someone will post a link to Prince Andrew's tribute.

I am also waiting for a reply to my question on whether the foreign monarchs will join the funeral procession across London as was the case in the funerals of Edward VII, George V and George VI. I would guess that probably they will not (many traditions have been changed or "modernized" for Queen Elizabeth II's funeral), but I wish they could join.

The Air Force plane with the Spanish Royal Family and the Minister for Foreign Affairs arrived at RAF Northolt a few minutes ago. They have traveled in one of the small Falcon planes, and not in the Airbus they use for state visits.

Very considerate of the Belgian monarch to travel by train to mitigate traffic and congestion at the busy London airports. If only President Macron could do the same... Well, maybe he will.

The Air Force plane with the Spanish Royal Family and the Minister for Foreign Affairs arrived at RAF Northolt a few minutes ago. They have traveled in one of the small Falcon planes, and not in the Airbus they use for state visits.

Thank you, Lula. Is there any footage of the King and the Queen's arrival and were they accompanied by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia?

Last edited:
Thank you, Lula. Is there any footage of the King and the Queen's arrival and were they accompanied by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia?

No, it's information about the plane, I don't think there are photos of their arrival. Juan Carlos is not part of the official entourage nor is he an active member of the Royal family, so he does not use government planes... he will fly from Abu Dhabi.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia are staying at the Spanish Embassy and Juan Carlos and Sofía at a hotel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom