Danish Royal Family, Current Events 1: April 2003 - March 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
more photos
Denmark's Queen Margrethe (R) and members of her family including Prince Consort (L) wave as the Marine One helicopter carrying U.S. President George W. Bush takes off from the grounds of Fredensborg Palace in Denmark, July 6, 2005. Bush celebrated his 59th birthday with Denmark's Queen Margrethe and members of her family before flying to Scotland for the G8 Summit.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 158
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 225
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 171
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 225
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 152
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 205
  • b10.jpg
    b10.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 165
  • b9.jpg
    b9.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 148
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 180
and more pics

Attachments

• b11.jpg
    b11.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 163
  • b12.jpg
    b12.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 169
  • b`7.jpg
    b`7.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 189
  • b13.jpg
    b13.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 160
  • b14.jpg
    b14.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 150
  • b15.jpg
    b15.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 133
  • b16.jpg
    b16.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 161
  • b17.jpg
    b17.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 157
Thanks for all the photos everyone. I think the photos of the Queen's daschund sneaking in the crates are cute.:p

It seems that the First family were received quite warmly by the royal family. It was also nice gesture to present the President with a "birthday" cake.

PS. The Crown Princess looked very radiant in her gold and white ensemble.

Alexandria said:
It's the head of the Danish government, though I don't know what his name is.

He's the Prime Minister of Denmark, Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

I believe I read a few years back (I just thought about this while working...crazy what you can think of when you'd rather be doing anything then what you're suppose to be doing!) that quite a few Kings/Queens travel with their own cooks and eat only meals of those cooks as well... so maybe it's not looked upon as an insult so much as a protocol...just a thought.

I agree that people need to keep their personal feelings towards Bush out of their opinions of things he does out of necessity. By this I mean, it's obvious there are quite a few people on the boards who dislike President Bush for whatever reason, and their posts are attacks towards Bush... it's as though people don't take into account that he is a leader of a nation and there are somethings that he is required to do... and somethings we will never understand, but are policy. I do believe that this cook incident is just that, policy, and to comment that he wanted his cook to make him a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich (as though he is a simple man), or to say something along the lines of, "...it's Bush so it doesn't surprise me..." seems quite rude. (I'm paraphrasing so people get the jest, there were many comments such as these, I'm not trying to single anyone in particular out, those two types of comments and comments simply stick out in my mind at the moment.) I, obviously am a Bush supporter, so my views and offences probably come off as such... but at the same time, I supported Clinton, so this can't be simply writtend off as my political view as far as which "side" I support. In my opinion, President Bush is my president, at this point, I need to support him... I think my mind set is kind of that of, "I can talk poorly of him, but those who don't live in the US can't...childish I know, but it's a deep loyalty that you can't really fault...

Anyway, that's my two sense. Went off on a tangent...sorry! Hope everyone is enjoying their days...or nights...or whatever... I'm off to enjoy some very beautiful (and HOT) Colorado summer sunshine! At least while it lasts...it's suppose to rain later this evening...go figure.

Yes, in the years that I have followed the British royal family and their travels, I have read quite a few references to the Queen's food being prepared by members of her staff while abroad. I don't know that this always is the case but I know it has been in some situations. I do wonder how often this happens as a matter of security and we simply don't know about it.

Britters said:
I believe I read a few years back (I just thought about this while working...crazy what you can think of when you'd rather be doing anything then what you're suppose to be doing!) that quite a few Kings/Queens travel with their own cooks and eat only meals of those cooks as well... so maybe it's not looked upon as an insult so much as a protocol...just a thought.

That may be and all but I would not be so forgiving towards them either. They may do this and all but if we don´t know about it then we have no reason to comment. I heard that King Hussein of Jordan was one of them. I can perfectly understand that. However, this president(and really it could be any president. Maybe previous presidents did this. But I doubt Taft did. He probably ate everything near and far anyway). But if he is the first president to do this then it´s a shame that his advisors think this. But I still think it´s an insult to your hosts. A leader of a country is still a guest.

princess gertrude said:
I understand completely about the President's security concerns. Although, IMO all the blame doesn't need to go on the advisors either.

[FONT=verdana, arial] According to Politiken, Mrs. Bush wanted to go to a Danish kindergarten. This happened while the president was talking to the Danish PM. Evidently, each little kid had to be body searched and their lunch boxes searched.

Also what about the dog? Stole 4 sandwiches after all. He should have been stopped. Geez. A security lapse. :)
[/FONT]

Reina said:

Good grief. That´s an interesting pose there by the Crown Prince. Good question. O, to be a fly on the wall or, in this case, a fly on the table...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A very nice gesture by Her Majesty to have a cake for the President. Although I'm a little taken aback by the item about the President bringing along his own chef. I would imagine Danish food is pretty top-notch stuff, and I personally would want to eat what my host(ess) was eating. But perhaps there were reasons of security, if not palate.:confused:

Dennism said:
It was reported that the meal, fish and venison, was cooked by the Queen´s own cook. But that President Bush´s meal was prepared by his own cook. Either a major insult to his hosts or maybe he was not confident on the Danes knowing how to make a proper peanut butter and jelly sandwich.:)

Either that or he's on a specific diet.

I really don't understand why some of you are complaining about the food situation. Sure it was prepared by his own chef, but the Prez and family ate off the Danish fine china, drank out of the goblets, sat next to their hosts, talked to them, and were quite polite. WHy the fuss?

Anyway. Fred looked like he enjoyed conversing with Jenna. I have not seen him like that in a long, long time. Anyway, the Danish PM is quite handsome.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it strange that the President and Frederik were seated together, when normal etiquette would have placed a woman (perhaps Mary) between them?

This may sound strange, but why is Jenna accompanying her parents on their official trips?Does anyone else find that a little strange?

Maybe b/c his wife was beside the Prince. Also b/c Jenna needed a companion and it would not be right to have the PM there as he woudl have needed to accompany Mary. So I guess since Jaochim and ALex weren't there there was this arrangement. But I don't relaly know.
lizzie said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it strange that the President and Frederik were seated together, when normal etiquette would have placed a woman (perhaps Mary) between them?

Hmmm...maybe the same reason Chelsea accompanied her parents (the Clintons) on their trips.
Gosh so many 'strange' theories.
Little_star said:
This may sound strange, but why is Jenna accompanying her parents on their official trips?Does anyone else find that a little strange?

Little_star said:

What other chance would she have to meet royalty?:rolleyes:

Reina lets just calm down, no need to get all huffy and puffy:)

Little_star said:

It was mentioned that after the G8 conference, and the Pres goes back to Washington, the First Lady and Jenna would be meeting up with Barbara (the other twin) in Africa. Apparently Barbara is doing volunteer work with an AIDS-related organization over there.

I think Chelsea also accompanied her parents on official trips too.

Reina, it was a perfectly valid question.I f I recall correctly, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, Chelsea was under the age of 18 when she accompanied her parents on foreign trips. Jenna is, 22 or 23, and let's face it has no obvious purpose or role at the G8 summit or on the trip to Denmark.

ette, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need new glasses or was Bush's birthday 'cake' actually a giant donut? :D Shows the Queen's great sense of humour again! I wonder if the cake was eaten or just admired if it was baked by the court's cook...

I have to disagree with the comments that Jenna and Fred would make a good couple. Just imagine that roundfaced, spoiled texan with a tiara and hugging a punchbowl on some big ball or something... Maybe it's just that she is a Bush...

Poor Mary, I'm sure that Mr. Rasmussen is nice company but still.. I believe Mary would have had more fun if she had been able to talk to some new people as well. It seemed to me she was trying to peek over the table to see her hubby. :p

must say I would rather sit next to Mr Rasmussen than a bush any time

was the donut cake iced? just a random thought :)

sm1939 said:

Me to sm 1939 me to... I think i woud have a normaly conversation with my Prim Minister then i woud have with President Bush. ( I hope i have not offended anyone with my opinion about Bush)

sm1939 said:

I would too! :) I'm not saying that Bush would have been nice company, just that the conversation seemed to be livelier on Fred's side of the table. And then there's the thing that I usually do miss my husband on large dinner parties as he's always wrapped up in some heated conversation and generally tends to vanish somewhere in parties. Not to say that I would be a bore, just that all these events usually have something to do with his acquaintances and that I have the unfortunate 'luck' of being sat next to a bore or two who are impossible to chat with... :rolleyes:

Ah, what do I really know... :p

Britters said:

I agree that people need to keep their personal feelings towards Bush out of their opinions of things he does out of necessity. By this I mean, it's obvious there are quite a few people on the boards who dislike President Bush for whatever reason, and their posts are attacks towards Bush... it's as though people don't take into account that he is a leader of a nation and there are somethings that he is required to do... and somethings we will never understand, but are policy. I do believe that this cook incident is just that, policy, and to comment that he wanted his cook to make him a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich (as though he is a simple man), or to say something along the lines of, "...it's Bush so it doesn't surprise me..." seems quite rude. (I'm paraphrasing so people get the jest, there were many comments such as these, I'm not trying to single anyone in particular out, those two types of comments and comments simply stick out in my mind at the moment.) I, obviously am a Bush supporter, so my views and offences probably come off as such... but at the same time, I supported Clinton, so this can't be simply writtend off as my political view as far as which "side" I support. In my opinion, President Bush is my president, at this point, I need to support him... I think my mind set is kind of that of, "I can talk poorly of him, but those who don't live in the US can't...childish I know, but it's a deep loyalty that you can't really fault...

Anyway, that's my two sense. Went off on a tangent...sorry! Hope everyone is enjoying their days...or nights...or whatever... I'm off to enjoy some very beautiful (and HOT) Colorado summer sunshine! At least while it lasts...it's suppose to rain later this evening...go figure.

Well said! :)

Britters said:

Well here's my two cents: Only Americans can criticize the president, but Americans can criticize any royal family they desire? I call that double standards. What sheer arrogance!:eek:

I agree, I don't think American's should criticize another countries political decisions, or their leaders...and I try not to (as far as politics are concerned), because it wouldn't be right. I don't care if you criticize President Bush's clothing (as I do with the Royals), or if you comment on how he looks as though he's incredibly bored, or tired, or whatever...but commenting on the leader of another countries political moves isn't right... I don't comment on other countries political motives, so I'm not really setting a double standard, now am I?

More then all that, the comments that have been made on this particular thread are attacks on President Bush's person based on disagreement with his political views, and that, to me, isn't right or fair. This is suppose to be a politic's "free" board, so comments such as those posted before go to far...they are means of expressing political disagreement, however shaded someone thinks it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom