Crown Princess Victoria's Eveningwear Part 8: August 2018 - December 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of wearing a gown from 20 years ago (Anne has done that very well at times) ...but some of them need to stay in mothballs.

LaRae

I agree that this is one gown that should've stayed in 1995 (even in 1995 I'm thinking it would've looked a bit outdated - 1985, yes :ermm:). Victoria's gown is rather clumsy and I agree that the colours are rather wishy washy. The massive bows and general vibe of the dress makes it look like a cheesy children's dressing up princess dress to me as well.

Said about Victoria's dress:
Camilla Thulin, fashion designer and expert
- "It's a good one that you have dared to choose one of the Queen's old festive dresses! This is a real couture dress and I'm incredibly pleased with that choice, it's incredibly nice. And it feels so right today to reuse. This is also a vintage dress that is also quite fashionable.
Cia Jansson, editor-in-chief at Elle
- But looking closer to the pictures, it looks like it's lifting a bit from the floor when the crown princess wears it, there is a little 50's feeling.
Nobelfestens mest omtalade! Allt om Victorias retro-glamour _ Svensk Damtidning

Aftonbladet's fashion expert Nina Campioni
"I get both goose pumps and tears in my eyes when I see Crown Princess Victoria come in an indescribably beautiful dress by designer Nina Ricci. Yes, you think, that's fine and so, but Vickan is always nice? Well, remember, Mama Queen Silvia was wearing the same dress on Nobel in 1995. Now that Victoria is wearing it again, it will create waves across the world's royal house - recycling in this way has not been trendy if you say so. But now - in 2018 - sustainability and recycling are more trendy than ever, and with role models like Victoria, I suddenly feel that it may be possible to stop the climate crisis in time. Hello Victoria - Your choice of dress is more important than maybe both you and we can understand!"

On 6th December the president of Finland hosted Independence Day reception where the theme was environment and sustainability.
It's great to see that Victoria and minister Alice Bah Kuhnke continued the theme today.

Last edited:
I think this gown is fabulous. It’s not an ordinary style, nor color, and it displays that gorgeous grey (silk taffeta?) beautifully.

Oh that dress is just hideous. The colours, the bows, the taffeta, the length. Oh bad choice Victoria.

I don't mind the upper part and the colors look good on her. The rest is just horrible. It's a crappy dress and not worth a repeat. Burn it.

I like the pink top - the rest needed to stay in the back of the wardrobe. Great hair and tiara.

I think it looked great on her mom, but not so perfect on Vic. And I really looked at it to see why I was not wowed. I could not figure it out. It looks nice enough, just not as wow as a dress that size should strike me.

It's a cute thing to rewear Mom's closet - but maybe just s bit less often? Or have things re-styled to update them just a scoosh?

I thought the stying was solid though - she did what she could with it.

Re-styling would have been the way to go. There's nothing wrong with wearing vintage pieces, but some styles don't always work for the current decade. Losing the bows at the back is a must.

Yep, a complete miss for me, which is quite rare for CP Victoria.

The dress should have stayed in the 90's and the hairstyle with the Connaught Tiara is too severe.

I'm with the red-gown club.

I dislike her Nobel Prize gown. The upper part is beautiful but I dislike the rest of the dress and the bows. Overall, a disappointing gown.

Imho, this gown is a bit too short for Victoria, who is slightly taller than Silvia.
I agree with you. It is great to see Crown Princess Victoria recycling her mother's dress though.

So excited to come home and se the Nobel looks. Usually rock the night. So disappointed :sad:

I don't get the borrowing dresses from mom. All for recycling but your own.

The length is awful. The bow on the back is hideous. Dress looks like a cheap fairy tale costume not expensive gown.

I love she is wearing my favorite tiara and hair is great.

:previous: We are such a diverse bunch here and I have to admit initially I didn't like it. However, seeing it in movement made me really love it. The great designers of the past really knew how to make a dress look feminine and Nina Ricci was one that knew how to make her look like a woman.

These days dresses from the design collections are hard to imagine on a real woman with a bust, waist and bottom and this particular dress really enhances Victoria's shape because she has "shape". She even managed to combine the colours that were on trend then, but in a muted way that didn't overpower the wearer. I actually think the rose coloured top looks better on Victoria than it did on her mother and the slight lift in the front was caused by the underskirts being a little too boofy. The weight of the bow at the back ensured the back didn't lift.

Crown Princess Victoria's Eveningwear Part 8: August 2018 -

The length is awful. The bow on the back is hideous. Dress looks like a cheap fairy tale costume not expensive gown.

I love she is wearing my favorite tiara and hair is great.

I finally saw the dress from the back. Hideous is a good word for the bow.

I’m not a fan of the skirt shape either. I think it’s the taffeta.

I think the color combination works though. Her tiara and hair are lovely.

After yesterday's gorgeous statement gown, it was expected that Victoria would wear something simple today. She looks great today, as she did yesterday.
https://files.svenskdam.se/uploads/2018/12/victoria-daniel-ibl-700x1093.jpg

Hairdo
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010030011P15445561321734318

I'm still ecstatic about the feelings what Victoria's statement by wearing queen Silvia's old gown yesterday caused for me. To see her make such a statement at the Nobel Prize ceremony makes me admire her even more, if possible. And I also thought, like many others, that the Nina Ricci dress looked better on Victoria than on queen Silvia. Perhaps because Victoria was 41 years old when wearing it, queen Silvia was 51.

Last edited:
Much better! That dress is beautiful, and the tiara and hairstyle are perfect.

The off shoulder red dress looks fabulous on her.

Victoria looks so gorgeous. A much better look compared to last night. She looks fantastic in red!

Oh my goodness......Victoria is looking outstanding..perfection all the way. Now this is the way to dress........this gown is just stunning on her and her hair and jewels and make-up........pure perfection all the way!

Much better than yesterdays dated gown ,red is a gorgeous colour on Crown Princess Victoria.

So much better than last night!

LaRae

Stunning, beautiful colour and amazing design :flowers:

Now this is what I expected last night. On point ?

Much better than the ugly ball gown! She looks regal and elegant. Great comeback from both Victoria and Sofia!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom