Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will have been sitting in the coach house for long period of time, paint will fade and chip. and it is of course heavy and now it is considered a problem to have horses pulling something so heavy. Time to consign it to history.

It isn't the paint that is the expensive bit - it is the gold gilding that is the expensive bit and it has to be done every time it is use.

I don't know why but just that it has to be and has been every time it has been used.

Chipping is one of the reasons of course and it does go a lot further than along The Mall.

Why does it need to be regilded? How can gold wear down from a trip over the Mall? That is really a "sandwich with monkey" (bogus story).

And one of the few metals that does not tarnish like silver or copper, in nugget or gilded form. As long as horses are not pulling a carriage up hills for whatever distance, it cannot be asking that much of them.

Last edited:
Other then the countries previously listed, who attends the coronation? Any Family, friends, any everyday Citizen, especially invited?

Other then the countries previously listed, who attends the coronation? Any Family, friends, any everyday Citizen, especially invited?
Friends attend, royals, aristocrats, family members attend (basically anyone with connections to the monarch in any way).

This will depend greatly on how many seats there are, which will be one of the major decisions that will have to be made. Prior coronations involved extensive construction in the abbey to add thousands of extra seats.

I think the size/scope of the coronation will entirely depend on the economic situation in the UK at that moment. I mean, if people are still dealing with inflation, exorbitant energy costs (assuming the war in Ukraine is still going on), and other similar issues, are people going to turn out to watch people parade by them in horse-drawn golden carriages?

I've never seen a coronation live, as it's happening, so even here in the U.S., I think it would have some interest, but there are already complaints now about the scope and duration of mourning for QEII (including complaints of free speech abridgment). An expensive coronation would only magnify those complaints, IMO.

And one of the few metals that does not tarnish like silver or copper, in nugget or gilded form. As long as horses are not pulling a carriage up hills for whatever distance, it cannot be asking that much of them.

of course it is asking a lot of horses to pull heavy carriages. and there are hilly streets in London. I hope heartily that it is not going to be carriages.

I think the size/scope of the coronation will entirely depend on the economic situation in the UK at that moment. I mean, if people are still dealing with inflation, exorbitant energy costs (assuming the war in Ukraine is still going on), and other similar issues, are people going to turn out to watch people parade by them in horse-drawn golden carriages?

I've never seen a coronation live, as it's happening, so even here in the U.S., I think it would have some interest, but there are already complaints now about the scope and duration of mourning for QEII (including complaints of free speech abridgment). An expensive coronation would only magnify those complaints, IMO.

I hardly see how free speech is being abridged. Yesterday in Wales, I think, I saw a man in the crowd openly shouting next to Charles that they couldn't pay for heating while they had to pay for the "King's circus". There were also two Welsh nationalists who were holding signs in English and Welsh calling for the title of Prince of Wales to be abolished.

There was indeed one young man tackled by law enforcement in Scotland earlier in the week, but, for breach of the peace, which is legal in the UK, and not for his speech. I doubt he was arrested or charged with any criminal offense, but I cannot confirm that.

Keep in mind that, not only in the UK, but also in Canada and most of Europe, the limits to the exercise of free speech are narrower than in the US. For example, hate speech is unlawful in most countries and no connection to "clear and present danger", now replaced by "imminent lawless action", has to be established as in the United States to warrant prosecution (or detention?).

Last edited:
I hardly see how free speech is being abridged. Yesterday in Wales, I think, I saw a man in the crowd openly shouting next to Charles that they couldn't pay for heating while they had to pay for the "King's circus". There was one young man tackled by law enforcement in Scotland earlier in the week, but, for breach of the peace, which is legal in the UK, and not for his speech. I doubt he was arrested or charged with any criminal offense, but I cannot confirm that.

Keep in mind that, not only in the UK, but also in Canada and most of Europe, the limits to the exercise of free speech are narrower than in the US. For example, hate speech is unlawful in most countries and no connection to "clear and present danger", now replaced by "imminent lawless action", has to be established as in the United States to warrant prosecution (or detention?).

I said "complaints of free speech abridgment" meaning other people felt that's what it was, not that I thought that's what it was.

of course it is asking a lot of horses to pull heavy carriages. and there are hilly streets in London. I hope heartily that it is not going to be carriages.

There is some concern that centers around the strength and stamina of a horse. In that light they might want to consider looking at a few other breeds. If the coronation becomes a rolling commercial for electric vehicles it would be an abomination imo.

https://horseyhooves.com/strongest-horse-breeds/

Last edited:
There is some concern that centers around the strength and stamina of a horse. In that light they might want to consider looking at a few other breeds. If the coronation becomes a rolling commercial for electric vehicles it would be an abomination imo.

I don’t think people are suggesting no carriages at all just not the Gold Coach which is much heavier. Clearly carriages were used at Ascot, for William and Harry’s weddings and also Trooping the Colour.

Routes can be planned so horses only need to travel on the flat or gentle slopes. It’s not in stone that they have to use the exact same route that was used 70 years ago.

The route for this Coronation may well be shortened and changed somewhat. I think the route nearly 70 years ago was probably chosen so more people (in a non digital age) could come to London to view the procession, and because a large number of troops from the Empire/Commonwealth were marching. That won’t be the case for this Coronation, I feel.

I really hope Prince Louis will be at the Coronation....he was one of my favorite things about the Platinum Jubilee.

That kid is a pistol!
I can appreciate "cute" as much as anyone and agree that Prince Louis is indeed a "pistol". However, I think that is one pistol best kept well holstered.

When I watch the Coronation I will be watching a sacred ceremony with great historical significance. The King is my King and millions of others like me around the world will be participating in our hearts and hearing the beauty of words not spoken since my Queen spoke them seventy years ago.

Nowhere in that sacred time and space is there a place for that little pistol. The cameras will, I hope, be concentrated on the ceremony and not wander around looking at the periphery. There will obviously be time both before and after the ceremony to enjoy looking well at the spectators, perhaps a lull when the King is anointed (Queen Elizabeth's anointing wasn't shown at all).

There will be many, many other chances to be engages by cute, […]small children.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we will see Camillas children and grandchildren attending the coronation!

I guess we will see Camillas children and grandchildren attending the coronation!

Camilla's children and perhaps grandchildren might are presence but I doubt that we will see them much if any. It is charles' big day so hid spouse's children not matter so much.

Are Camilla's children even well-known anyway?

Camilla's children and perhaps grandchildren might are presence but I doubt that we will see them much if any. It is charles' big day so hid spouse's children not matter so much.

Are Camilla's children even well-known anyway?

Her son Tom is food writer and food critic and has appeared as a critic on cooking tv shows, like BBC's Masterchef (to be honest, i would recognize him probably sooner than many of the royal cousins :flowers: )

I can appreciate "cute" as much as anyone and agree that Prince Louis is indeed a "pistol". However, I think that is one pistol best kept well holstered.

When I watch the Coronation I will be watching a sacred ceremony with great historical significance. The King is my King and millions of others like me around the world will be participating in our hearts and hearing the beauty of words not spoken since my Queen spoke them seventy years ago.

Nowhere in that sacred time and space is there a place for that little pistol. The cameras will, I hope, be concentrated on the ceremony and not wander around looking at the periphery. There will obviously be time both before and after the ceremony to enjoy looking well at the spectators, perhaps a lull when the King is anointed (Queen Elizabeth's anointing wasn't shown at all).

There will be many, many other chances to be engages by cute […], small children.
Precisely. I don’t see why people think it imperative for him to be there. He won’t remember this at all and it’s a very long event that can make him restless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Precisely. I don’t see why people think it imperative for him to be there. He won’t remember this at all and it’s a very long event that can make him restless.

Charles spent a short amount of time at his mother's. He was the same age as Louis. So that is probably why many are curious about Louis going for part of it. They didn't keep little Charles there for the whole thing, and I would assume no one is expecting Louis to stay for the whole thing.

Charles spent a short amount of time at his mother's. He was the same age as Louis. So that is probably why many are curious about Louis going for part of it. They didn't keep little Charles there for the whole thing, and I would assume no one is expecting Louis to stay for the whole thing.
But Charles was the eldest son and senior most Prince so naturally it would be expected given his position at the time, Louis is a junior cadet and given his last outing, I don’t think it’s necessary. He’s unpredictable.

But Charles was the eldest son and senior most Prince so naturally it would be expected given his position at the time, Louis is a junior cadet and given his last outing, I don’t think it’s necessary. He’s unpredictable.

Well, I'm not talking about suitability. Just age appropriateness. And his grandpa did it at that age, so he could too. Of course who cares what any of us think. It will be whatever William and Catherine decide. Or Grandpapa King.

That Gold Coach is a glorious thing … here are some photos I took of it in 2014.

Attachments

• 7E1A7F41-B0CE-4DC2-A137-E1B688384A0F.jpg
    7E1A7F41-B0CE-4DC2-A137-E1B688384A0F.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 43
  • C28FD5DA-8387-41B2-A20F-FA3E3979B9AD.jpg
    C28FD5DA-8387-41B2-A20F-FA3E3979B9AD.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 43
  • E74A5DB6-771B-4903-9B44-F84B8E64D748.jpg
    E74A5DB6-771B-4903-9B44-F84B8E64D748.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 179C8F88-690C-408D-B1AF-069B8B3B19FA.jpg
    179C8F88-690C-408D-B1AF-069B8B3B19FA.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 43
Some more photos.

Attachments

• 99DD341D-58D1-4C48-890A-C633167DFEC1.jpg
    99DD341D-58D1-4C48-890A-C633167DFEC1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 72E0927D-777D-4BC4-AF41-669E574DA84A.jpg
    72E0927D-777D-4BC4-AF41-669E574DA84A.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 83C059A0-9E79-43D5-8E51-EB3012D8EAAA.jpg
    83C059A0-9E79-43D5-8E51-EB3012D8EAAA.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DCB00CBE-7740-4EB4-825F-D020A461F010.jpg
    DCB00CBE-7740-4EB4-825F-D020A461F010.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 46
And more photos.

Attachments

• FAE3FB77-DCA9-49B6-BDE5-057107C2CDD4.jpg
    FAE3FB77-DCA9-49B6-BDE5-057107C2CDD4.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 42
  • B1577E46-46F9-49FC-BE53-BF49DE0B83FF.jpg
    B1577E46-46F9-49FC-BE53-BF49DE0B83FF.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 9289966B-85FA-4967-A372-803CBE70C7CB.jpg
    9289966B-85FA-4967-A372-803CBE70C7CB.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DFFDEFA8-F4DE-4F40-B88F-EBC5EC0B6F42.jpg
    DFFDEFA8-F4DE-4F40-B88F-EBC5EC0B6F42.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 41
And last photos.

Attachments

• C8FE150E-3844-46DE-87A2-80E8D0414238.jpg
    C8FE150E-3844-46DE-87A2-80E8D0414238.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 2E6DCDCF-B107-4AE0-81F7-5A921388E4F9.jpg
    2E6DCDCF-B107-4AE0-81F7-5A921388E4F9.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 3498C7CD-AAAC-427E-A61A-7EB39FD4AB4C.jpg
    3498C7CD-AAAC-427E-A61A-7EB39FD4AB4C.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 50
  • E9823058-7373-4E21-9EC7-C1123290D2FD.jpg
    E9823058-7373-4E21-9EC7-C1123290D2FD.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 47
He might grow up (calm done) quiet a bit at school - some kids do. They can decide the week of the coronation.

Abomination? Really? There is no law that says there have to be carriages, and i cant' see what is wrong with using cars

Carriages would be more ecological.

Abomination? Really? There is no law that says there have to be carriages, and i cant' see what is wrong with using cars

The term came to mind a few years ago, seeing the Jaguar at Harry's wedding --- stripped of it's engineering heritage and brilliance.

There are few sights in the world that make the type of visual impact expertly groomed horses and tack do. Yes, no ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom