Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the Duke of Kent was already then the Duke of Kent, having succeeded his father in 1942.

And he is the only peer who paid homage to The Queen who will possibly now pay homage to Charles III depending on whether that part of the ceremony is kept. I hope they don't limit the homage to just William but allow Charles' brothers and his mother's cousins to pay homage as well. But with Charles' smaller royal family I suspect that there will be a much more limited homage from royal peers.

I notice that The Duke of Norfolk was received by The King yesterday. I am sure that they were discussing the events for Saturday with the Accession Council, the subsequent Proclamations and The Queen's funeral but they may have touched on the coronation as The Duke of Norfolk, as Earl Marshal, is responsible for the preparations for all these events.

I do know that The Duke has the plans for the coronation on his computer which has been updated regularly e.g. earlier this week he would have updated the name of the UK's PM.

Last edited:
I believe the Coronation, and the PoW Investiture, will both happen in the late Spring and/or summer. The UK is most likely heading into a very rough winter and the government will want something to lift the mood and spirit of the Kingdom afterwards.

Absolutely, the aftermath of brexit and rising inflation has hit many brits hard. Specifically, inflation has risen by 10.1%, hitting a 40 year high. Certainly not ideal especially given the rise in energy costs in a heatwave that's passing through much of Europe.

And he is the only peer who paid homage to The Queen who will possibly now pay homage to Charles III depending on whether that part of the ceremony is kept. I hope they don't limit the homage to just William but allow Charles' brothers and his mother's cousins to pay homage as well. But with Charles' smaller royal family I suspect that there will be a much more limited homage from royal peers.

For some reason i thought that at least al, Royal Dukes would do such, but with Harry's feelings about his family that he uttered in recent years (and are planned in his upcoming book), it will be interesting to see if he particpates as such

i don't want to start a whole 'Sussex' debate here, but he did get himself in a peculiar position imo
but the coronation will likely be months away, who knows what will change, sometimes a shock like this changes people (not that it was unexpected, with QEII's advanced age, but i think Harry, like many of us, sort of thought his grandmother would make it to 100, and i think he always counted on her 'protection', for lack of a better word)

I was someone who mused about tiara guesses and whatnot in the past but now I definitely have a feeling that people won't be wearing them at his coronation. I could be wrong but it seems like something of another era and looking at the trends since 1953, that type of ceremony would be out of place in this day and age. Though, I could be wrong and maybe they want to keep the ceremony of old.

For Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation, the procession to Westminster Abbey included foreign royalty and heads of state riding in various carriages and coaches.
For King Charles III's Coronation, will heads of state and foreign royalty travel to Westminster Abbey by carriage?

For Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation, the procession to Westminster Abbey included foreign royalty and heads of state riding in various carriages and coaches.
For King Charles III's Coronation, will heads of state and foreign royalty travel to Westminster Abbey by carriage?

I hope so. I hope most traditions are kept. :flowers:

I doubt Charles is going to have a huge coronation, whether early or late next year. The UK's economy is in the toilet, and while yes, coronations bring in lots of tourists, expecting taxpayers to foot the bill for a huge to-do doesn't seem prudent. Not to mention, do enough people care about that stuff nowadays? I mean, does the common man or woman in the UK really care that much? It's a far different world from 1953.

Tiara will most definitely be worn - it is a state occasion of the highest caliber. However, I do not think we will have the same procession as the previous coronation. Too expensive, plus a security and logistical nightmare. It's a shame, the Queen of Tonga was a highlight of that procession.

I doubt Charles is going to have a huge coronation, whether early or late next year. The UK's economy is in the toilet, and while yes, coronations bring in lots of tourists, expecting taxpayers to foot the bill for a huge to-do doesn't seem prudent. Not to mention, do enough people care about that stuff nowadays? I mean, does the common man or woman in the UK really care that much? It's a far different world from 1953.
Have you watched the outpour of sympathy at the proclamation and afterwards when The King returned to the Palace?!
I know not many people during the late Queen´s reign believed there wouldn´t be much of an interest of that "stuff", as you are pleased to call these ancient rituals and traditions, which really shocks me to read on a ROYAL forum and only days after the death of one of the greatest heads of state this world has ever seen, but watching the proceedings of the past two days and what we will all witness in the week to come, I´m very much convinced, we will see in the weeks building up towards the next coronation, a fever gripping the nation and beyond, we haven´t been witnessing since decades!

And yes, Charles´s and Camillas coronation ceremomny will be a bit altered and modernised, but still be a great and grand occasion bringing once more the british nation together!

Sure? As far as I know only the british court and Royalty rode in a carriage while foreign royal guests arrived in limousines (The Queen of Tonga as a monarch of the Commonwealth had the special honour to ride in a coach after the ceremony in W Abbey)

[.....]

but watching the proceedings of the past two days and what we will all witness in the week to come, I´m very much convinced, that we will see in the weeks building up towards the next coronation, a fever gripping the nation and beyond, we haven´t been witnessing since decades!

I didn't say there wouldn't be interest, I asked if given the economic situation in the country, would it be prudent to expect the taxpayers to foot the bill for something on par with what QEII had for her coronation 70 years ago? People's attitudes about the monarchy have also changed since then. Of course, there will be a coronation, and of course, it'll be televised and all that jazz, but is it going to be far more scaled-back than what has been done in the past? I would think it would be.

Last edited by a moderator:

As mentioned, I'm not sure they did go in carriages (except for the royalty from British protectorates), but in any case, I think we'll be lucky if they don't come in a bus.

I don't think it'll be on the same scale as the Queen's coronation was. But, at the same time, even at a time of economic difficulties caused by the war in Ukraine, most people aren't going to want a really scaled-back, cut-price affair: people expect pomp and ceremony.

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of things the cost of a coronation is probably equal to the annual paper clip budget of the Home Office or whatever.

I agree it won't be the extravangaza of 1953. I would imagine the number of military involved would be similar to the 4000 or so that parade on Bastille Day in Paris. And that happens every year.

Last edited:
As mentioned, I'm not sure they did go in carriages (except for the royalty from British protectorates), but in any case, I think we'll be lucky if they don't come in a bus.

The heads of state and foreign royalty would probably be greatly disappointed if they had to travel to Westminster Abbey in a bus. After all, they are not tourists. They are here to attend a coronation.

I know that at the time of the Queen’s wedding to Philip (shortly after the war and six years before the Coronation) there weren’t enough carriages to go round and they had to borrow some from Sir Alexander Korea’s film company!

However, I’m sure there will be enough nowadays (hopefully in excellent condition) and if there aren’t enough limousines then others will be lent or hired.

I think Charles will have a huge coronation yes it might be altered a bit but it will be massive for the country. William will also have a big ceremony too

In King George V's Coronation procession to Westminster Abbey in 1911, representatives of foreign royal families and governments travelled in fourteen carriages.

I think the plans for the coronation, code-named "Golden Orb" have been on the burner for years, probably decades, and fine-tuned just as regularly as Operations Unicorn and London Bridge which are now moving seamlessly forward under the eagle eye of The Earl Marshall, the Duke of Norfolk. King Charles will definitely be kept updated on these operations as they move inexorably forward just as he will be about "Golden Orb".

I think Charles will have a huge coronation yes it might be altered a bit but it will be massive for the country. William will also have a big ceremony too

I completely agree.
I think Britain needs a distraction and something to celebrate - gather around if you will - and that I think is wholeheartedly supported by the British government.
So I think it will be pomp and circumstances at full throttle.

As for William, that remains to be seen though.

hope not. I expect a moderate degree of ceremony but in present circumtances, not a big big ceremony. It costs too much and its out of palce

Sure? As far as I know only the british court and Royalty rode in a carriage while foreign royal guests arrived in limousines (The Queen of Tonga as a monarch of the Commonwealth had the special honour to ride in a coach after the ceremony in W Abbey)

Queen Salote's attendence at the coronation was a break with tradition because other reigning monarchs usually don't attend the coronation or inauguration of another monarch.

Queen Salote's attendence at the coronation was a break with tradition because other reigning monarchs usually don't attend the coronation or inauguration of another monarch.

And at the coronation of King Charles III probably her grandson, King Tupou VI will meet the same honour.

It feels wrong to talk about the coronation but I have a Question, most likely we will see heirs to the throne at coronation, Like The Crown Prince of Denmark, Norway and Victoria of Sweden, The Princess of Orange and Duchess of Brabant are "pretty safe" but what about the Princess of Asturias? Leonor will be17th next month and depending on when the coronation takes place she would not be of legal age. Hence my question, if the coronation is before October 31, 2023 and Leonor hasn't swore allegiance yet, could she still be the official representative? Or would Elena then travel to the coronation?

I have the same question about Leonor. Elisabeth, Amalia and Moulay Hassan are now of legal age. So they'll probably go (not sure about Moulay Hassan, perhaps his uncle will go instead of him). We also have the same issue with Bhutan, though I'm not sure if there was a Bhutan representative at the previous coronation.

Do we have a list of the royalty guests present at QEII's coronation?

And Prince Jacques, Marquis de Baux, is also still a child.

And also Crown Prince Lerotholi of Lesotho will not be of legal age then (he will turn 15 in April 2023).

I have the same question about Leonor. Elisabeth, Amalia and Moulay Hassan are now of legal age. So they'll probably go (not sure about Moulay Hassan, perhaps his uncle will go instead of him). We also have the same issue with Bhutan, though I'm not sure if there was a Bhutan representative at the previous coronation.

Do we have a list of the royalty guests present at QEII's coronation?
I hope the list is correct
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_royal_guests_at_the_coronation_of_Elizabeth_II
The Count and Countess of Barcelona are missed-representing Spain

And Prince Jacques, Marquis de Baux, is also still a child.

And also Crown Prince Lerotholi of Lesotho will not be of legal age then (he will turn 15 in April 2023).
Princess Caroline can represent Monaco. As for Lesotho, maybe Lerotholi's eldest sister can go. She has the same age as Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom