British Royal Jewels of the Past 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that most jewelry owned by Queen Charlotte was eventually auctioned off, as her will requested, or ended up with the Hanovarians. Did Queen Mary manage to buy back any of Queen Charlotte's jewelry?
I don’t think she bought any of Queen Charlotte’s jewels

What happened with the Plunket Tiara, worn by Elizabeth II in 1973?

What happened with the Plunket Tiara, worn by Elizabeth II in 1973?
It belonged to the Barons Plunket, it is unknown if the family retained it or sold it at some point. It was a tiara a good friend of the Queen’s lent to her.

:previous: It is good that the Teck Ears of Wheat Tiara is with the grandchildren of Princess Alice. It is one less tiara sold at an auction.

:previous: It would have been good if a way could have been found for the Sapphire Necklace to have gone back to the main British Royal Jewels collection.

There is the Fife fringe tiara that was a gift from her parents that the Fife family still own. One of her rivières were sold a long time ago and there was Queen Victoria’s chain necklace, but that was sold after Alexandra of Fife died. Maud’s trustees sold her amethyst tiara/necklace, pearl diamond and opal tiara and the cabochon bracelet/tiara.

Another Pearl gem of Queen Mary was the Queen Mary Pearl and was later given to her daughter Mary,Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood.

https://www.ssef.ch/the-queen-mary-pearl/
Queen Mary gave some pearl necklaces to the Duke of Windsor who of course gave them to Wallis. He went to Olga Tritt to add an extra pearl pendant and I think a black pearl which was an earring. Not to mention the Prince of Wales feather brooch that Charles wanted, but Elizabeth Taylor got it. After Wallis death, Kelly Anne Klein bought it as gift from Calvin, after they divorced the necklace was sold and hasn’t been seen since.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: It would have been good if a way could have been found for the Sapphire Necklace to have gone back to the main British Royal Jewels collection.

It was after WWII and her son James was 16 and as such and his mothers jewels were auctioned by trustees acting on his behalf.
Perhaps the jewels were offered to the BRF for sale but were declined?

Perhaps the jewels were offered to the BRF for sale but were declined?

We are unlikely to know if the jewels were offered to the mainline of the BRF.

If it was after WW2, the BRF would have gotten the Greville bequest recently, and the jewel caskets would have been pretty full.

We are unlikely to know if the jewels were offered to the mainline of the BRF.

If it was after WW2, the BRF would have gotten the Greville bequest recently, and the jewel caskets would have been pretty full.

Might not have been offered especially as it with Post war austerity and just sold off as the young Duke did not need them.

The small bandeau that was actually a necklace was a gift from the Duke of Westminster to Queen Mary.

:previous: It was unfortunate that the Cambridge Sapphire Tiara was sold at auction.
It is unfortunate whenever any royal jewels are sold.

You are of course right, Tommy. It is displayed at Kensington Palace.

I agree that it'a a stunning piece. But I think that it's great that it now on show for the public instead of being auctioned off to an anonymous bidder. Since the family had to let it go because of the taxes, this was the very best solution. I do hope that the other two tiaras can still be taken out of display and being worn from time to time. Especially the fringe would make a lovely wedding tiara for the family.
The Fife fringe tiara belongs to the Fife family and the BRF already has a few fringe tiaras

What a really interesting article. Thanks for posting. Prss Louise certainly had many jewels given to her as wedding gifts and the photos in the article showing the royal relatives were lovely. One thing I did notice in the photo of the wedding scene is that neither of Louise’s brothers were to the fore. Perhaps George was away at sea but no sign of Prince Eddie in the vicinity either.

Thankfully her tiara is still in the UK and wasn't broken up or sold off to pay off inheritance taxes!

Back
Top Bottom