British Royal Christmas 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do you think the wider extended family will be invited at Sandringham for Christmas? The queen didn't invite them, so why would Charles? The luncheon was for the wider extended family (including her cousins and their families), while the Christmas holiday at Sandringham had a more limited attendance. Those invited were the queen's children, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren and her niece and nephew with their children (all with their spouses of course).

Only in recent times. For a long time, her uncles, aunts and cousins would be their too. Right up to when her own grandchildren were children.

Why do you think the wider extended family will be invited at Sandringham for Christmas? The queen didn't invite them, so why would Charles? The luncheon was for the wider extended family (including her cousins and their families), while the Christmas holiday at Sandringham had a more limited attendance. Those invited were the queen's children, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren and her niece and nephew with their children (all with their spouses of course).

I remember that a few years ago (could be longer than a few years) HMQ had her nieces and nephews and perhaps her cousins to Sandringham for Christmas. I remember reading that some staff rooms were being used by family members so that there would be enough room for everyone.

I remember that a few years ago (could be longer than a few years) HMQ had her nieces and nephews and perhaps her cousins to Sandringham for Christmas. I remember reading that some staff rooms were being used by family members so that there would be enough room for everyone.

Her niece (Sarah) and nephew (David) were invited right until the end - as I already mentioned in my post.

I'm not sure when her cousins stopped coming but more recently it had been reduced to the group I described (although in somewhat changing composition each year as family members started to celebrate with the other half of their families as well).

BRF Christmases were not always at Sandringham, they were at Windsor and then moved to Sandringham, I think due to the fire. I think the luncheon came about as a means for The Queen to have a gathering of all her family including her cousins (George V) descendants since Sandringham could not accommodate that large of a group. Plus since Windsor is in the London area, if all of George V's descendants gathered together for Christmas, I doubt that they needed to be housed, they just drove to Windsor from their London area residences.

ETA:
I remembered after posting that the first Christmas broadcast by George V was from Sandringham, but that did not mean that the entire family was present.

From https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-christmas-0 :
The Royal Family traditionally spends Christmas and New Year at Sandringham House. The Queen's country estate in Norfolk. During the sixties, when Her Majesty's children were small, many Christmases were celebrated at Windsor Castle, where The Royal Family spends Easter. But since 1988, when the castle was being rewired, Royal Christmases returned to Sandringham.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Charles first Christmas message. I expected him to have less of a Christian message and wasn't disappointed (it was there but I felt is wasn't a real thing to him as it was to the late Queen). I enjoyed seeing Camilla decorating the Christmas Tree and the other working royals, but would have liked a glimpse of the cousins who are also still working.

I really enjoyed seeing, and hearing, his views on the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

I do wish that the choir was better - at the end I couldn't understand a word they were singing and I do believe that a choir singing a choral should be understandable. The harmony was overwhelming the less mature voices singing the words.

All in all - a good first attempt which was full of platitudes of course, but that is also expected as that is all that the late Queen ever said in these things. At least he didn't just sit at a desk with photos around him.

Nice turnout for the Christmas Service at Sandringham. I saw - Charles, Camilla, the Wales (including Louis), the Yorks (including Andrew and Wolfie), the Wessex's, Peter with daughters, Zara with Mike, Mia and Lena as well as Tim. I didn't see Anne but probably simply missed her. Also saw Sarah and I think her two sons and Earl Snowdon.

I don't think anyone was missed from the King's immediate family other than the very young ... Sienna, August and Lucas all absent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not great photos so far. All there except maybe Anne. Fergie wasn’t there. Andrew too. Savannah, Mia, Isla, Lena and Woolfie.

Most of them looked fairly meh but Beatrice looked amazing.

Last edited:
Almost everyone is there this year! It shows a great support for Charles! Well done!

Loved to see Wolfie too!

Presumably these three wee ones will still be at Sandringham - just not at church.

I would assume so. I couldn't imagine them being left in London or Gloucestershire while their parents are in Norfolk. They are simply too young at less than two years old each to attend. I wouldn't expect any of them for another couple of years assuming Charles continues to invite his siblings and their families.

Has anyone seen anything of Anne? It would be unusual for her to miss this service unless she was unwell. Tim was there along with her children and grandchildren (maybe she was on 'granny duty' with Lucas or even sharing with Fergie on 'granny duty' with Sienna and August as well). Those two would be an interesting pair to see being grannies together as they are both a lot of fun but in different ways.

Have seen a Video from the arrival of Family at Church and Anne wasn't there. Also Lena wasn't.

Have seen a Video from the arrival of Family at Church and Anne wasn't there. Also Lena wasn't.

I saw Lena - with Mike and Zara as the arrived. Tim and Mia were also with them. They were the last to arrive.

I would be surprised if she went to a Christmas mass. Mass is a very Roman Catholic term and not usually used in relation to the CoE. We just say 'church' or a 'church service' - regardless of whether it is communion or simply a prayer service.

Divine Service was the first service of the day and the one which they all attended with children was simply a Morning Prayer service - some readings, some carols and a short sermon but not communion.

I would be surprised if she went to a Christmas mass. Mass is a very Roman Catholic term and not usually used in relation to the CoE. We just say 'church' or a 'church service' - regardless of whether it is communion or simply a prayer service.

Divine Service was the first service of the day and the one which they all attended with children was simply a Morning Prayer service - some readings, some carols and a short sermon but not communion.

I am surprised a communion service is not held on Christmas day.

I enjoyed Charles first Christmas message. I expected him to have less of a Christian message and wasn't disappointed (it was there but I felt is wasn't a real thing to him as it was to the late Queen). I enjoyed seeing Camilla decorating the Christmas Tree and the other working royals, but would have liked a glimpse of the cousins who are also still working.

I really enjoyed seeing, and hearing, his views on the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

I do wish that the choir was better - at the end I couldn't understand a word they were singing and I do believe that a choir singing a choral should be understandable. The harmony was overwhelming the less mature voices singing the words.

All in all - a good first attempt which was full of platitudes of course, but that is also expected as that is all that the late Queen ever said in these things. At least he didn't just sit at a desk with photos around him.

May I ask where you’ve seen it? I didn’t think it had aired yet and I haven’t been able to find it

I also don’t recall Anne being at the Christmas carol service which all the family attended.

She wasn't but she did have four other engagements that day including an Investiture in the afternoon.

May I ask where you’ve seen it? I didn’t think it had aired yet and I haven’t been able to find it

I am in Australia and we had it hours ago. It is the last 10 minutes of the evening news here so about 8.30 am in the UK.

The UK is one of the last countries in the world to get it while NZ gets it first and then it airs in the rest of the Commonwealth as Christmas Day unfolds around the world.

I am surprised a communion service is not held on Christmas day.

They do go to communion.

They go to two services - the first is Divine Service which is a full communion service and is held about 8.00 am in the UK.

Then about 11.00 a.m. they walk past the crowds who are held back from entering the road where they walk until after the royals have returned to the big house after communion.

If you look at the pictures there are some of Charles walking to church with Sarah and David and returning with Zara and Mike. Then later he walks to church with Camilla.

The children don't attend the communion service until after they are confirmed as in the CoE it isn't the norm to take communion until after confirmation which is normally done around 14 - 16 years of age.

Wow, George is a very talented kid! What an amazing painting done by a 9 year-old. Well done!

This painting is wonderful. George is really talented. :flowers:

Prince George is very talented! Very nice surprise!

Back
Top Bottom