British Royal Christmas 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as i can recall the Kent's and Gloucesters have never been at Sandringham for Christmas

The Kents and Gloucesters haven’t been with the rest of the RF for Christmas day since the festivities moved from Windsor Castle to Sandringham in the 80s/90s (some say it occurred after the fire, some say before it, maybe with the linked in restoration work that was the cause of the fire). The Queen use to host Christmas Day at Windsor with church at St George’s before moving to Sandringham for the rest of the holidays. As Windsor is so much bigger, and closer to other Royals residences, they were all able to attend. Sandringham is further away and much smaller (even the current number of royals we see if said to mean squeezing in) so the Queen only invited her immediate family which by the end meant her children, their children and her niece and nephew (even Sarah and David seem to be on a rota with the Queen’s grandchildren which I always assumed was for reasons of space, maybe now Anmer can be used it allows a little more room)

The late Queen use to host a preChristmas christmas lunch at BP for everyone inc Kents and Gloucesters and Charles has done same at Windsor before heading to Sandringham.

Last edited:
Sophie 25.
Completely agree.
Just my opinion that Sarah will use ANY opportunity to publicize and monetize her connections to The Royal Family.

Hey how do I post a screen grab? It's from a Facebook post from the Royal School of Needlework. They worked on Charles' coronation robes and Kate's wedding veil. I thought people might be interested in it.

I'm getting caught up on all the Christmas news but I don't see a discussion about whether William and Katherine attended the before Christmas family lunch. If they weren't there, does anyone know why?

They weren't seen arriving or leaving, but that's probably because they just walked over from Adelaide Cottage. I don't think there's any suggestion that they weren't there.

I'm getting caught up on all the Christmas news but I don't see a discussion about whether William and Katherine attended the before Christmas family lunch. If they weren't there, does anyone know why?
I read in a British paper they were there and came in a back door.

Since the luncheon moved to Windsor Castle, there's been very few arrival/departure photos of the BRF attendees. The Wales are close enough to walk to the Windsor Castle from Adelaide Cottage.

Any questions regarding moderator actions should be addressed via PM to one of the British forum moderators, not brought up in the thread. Doing so is explicitly against forum rules:

Complaints about moderator actions should not be made in the threads; instead, send a private message to the moderator concerned or an administrator.

It seems that Camilla’s children and grandchildren were not staying at Sandringham in spite of several tabloid reports that they would be. I really didn’t expect them to be there as Tom and Laura seem to enjoy staying at their own homes and their father probably joins them, with Camilla coming later.

Do we know that for sure, or is it because they did not attend church. To be fair it is never announced who attends, it is people spotting at the church.

They weren't seen arriving or leaving, but that's probably because they just walked over from Adelaide Cottage. I don't think there's any suggestion that they weren't there.

Since the luncheon moved to Windsor Castle, there's been very few arrival/departure photos of the BRF attendees. The Wales are close enough to walk to the Windsor Castle from Adelaide Cottage.

Even if William & Catherine drove, they do not need to use an external gate to enter the castle periphery, and hence, they are unlikely to be photographed.

Do we know that for sure, or is it because they did not attend church. To be fair it is never announced who attends, it is people spotting at the church.

It is unlikely we will know for sure of the P-B children and grandchildren were at Sandringham or not. My guess is that they were there, and probably just preferred not going to the church and being pictured.

I agree. The BRF don't typically release the names of their private guest list, so it's possible that the Queen's children and their families were there.

Sarah wasn’t seen at Church last year but everyone believed she was there. Likewise Anne was “absent” from church last year or year before because she was ill but no one thought she wasn’t there.

Do we have any idea where British royals spend the New Year? I know the late Queen used to stay at Sandringham until February, but does King Charles?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about the Waleses attendance at the pre-Christmas luncheon. I'm disappointed that we don't get photos of their arrival but entering without photographers is probably best for their family.

Do we have any idea where British royals spend the New Year? I know the late Queen used to stay at Sandringham until February, but does King Charles?

For many years now, Charles and Camilla have spent New Year's at Birkhall in Scotland. They leave Sandringham right after the Boxing Day shoot.

Camilla used to leave Sandringham right after the Queen's Christmas message to spend the rest of Christmas Day with her children and grandchildren. She would fly to Scotland a bit later than Charles who was even known to leave on Christmas Day itself. Last year he stayed for the Boxing Day shoot.

For many years now, Charles and Camilla have spent New Year's at Birkhall in Scotland. They leave Sandringham right after the Boxing Day shoot.
Following the accession, I do not think a pattern of them going up to Scotland for New Year's has yet been established. Lets see how things develop over the next few years.

Why does the press refer to James, Earl of Wessex's attendance at Christmas Day church service a rare public outing?
He has obviously been seen inpublic before.

KIng Charles, Queen Camilla, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester attended Sunday Church service at St Mary Magdalene church today, December 31:

** dailymail article **

KIng Charles, Queen Camilla, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester attended Sunday Church service at St Mary Magdalene church today, December 31:

** dailymail article **

The Queen's sister, Annabel Elliott, and the Duke & Duchess of Richmond also joined the King & Queen at church this morning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom