The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 PM
RubyPrincess168's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Prairie, United States
Posts: 1,655
The second dress looks a little too prom-ish to me.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Sunnystar's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon, United States
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Now I am intrigued...I looked very closely on another message board and there was very definitely a ruffle.

Now I am going to rush off to study it even closer!
There is definitely a ruffle.

I am, by no means, a master couturier, however, I do sew. A LOT. And by "a lot" I mean a lot of formals for young ladies. I've lost track of the number of formals that I've made in the past 15 years but it's easily a couple hundred. Just in the last three months, I've made 6 formals, some far more elaborate than others.

A ruffle doesn't have to have to be gathered at the seam, though that's often how ruffles are created. However, you can also add a ruffle by cutting the fabric for the ruffle on the bias and adding a slight grade outwards, which will give just a gentle, flowing ruffly effect. This is most certainly the case with Madeleine's dress.

I like the sketch a lot more than the actual dress. The waist is, as others have noted, just a bit too high. I'd have dropped the waist maybe an inch or so. And, I probably would have added just a couple inches more of fabric in the skirt at the waist, to give just a bit more poof. I'm not sure how much more though because it might have looked too frumpy and unflattering on her hips if there was too much extra fabric added into the skirt. But, I definitely would have had more than was there because there's not enough and the gather of the skirt to the waist is just too tiny. It fooled a couple of others, upthread, into thinking that it was a straight seam when it's not. I also think the skirt would have benefited from a more pronounced use of lace, similar to the way it was used on her illusion neckline. Yes, you can see the lace but the sketch just has some oomph to it that the reality is lacking.

Finally, others have noted that there is something not quite right with the cut and this isn't quite correct. There is something not quite right with the fit, especially on the side back section of the dress. I saw a couple of pictures where the fit was obviously loose and while you don't want a dress you plan on wearing for hours upon hours while eating, dancing and celebrating to be skintight, the fit should have been smooth when she was standing.

These are all, in all honestly, rather nitpicky items though. I think the dress is really beautiful. I loved her makeup, the veil and tiara. I really loved the bodice front. It was quite a lovely look and well worth getting up at 7am on a Saturday morning to witness. Especially seeing how affectionate and obviously in love Christopher is with his bride.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 AM
bertie5252003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,199
I have to say I just loved the shoes .... Thanks Marika for posting the close up I love them on trend without being OTT.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Those were some amazing shoes I must say, such fantastic shoes paired with a far from fantastic dress. I would sleep in those shoes. I am seriously givin up on trying to figure out what is going on at the bottom of her dress; whatever it is it shouldn't have been done.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
There is definitely a ruffle.

I am, by no means, a master couturier, however, I do sew. A LOT. And by "a lot" I mean a lot of formals for young ladies. I've lost track of the number of formals that I've made in the past 15 years but it's easily a couple hundred. Just in the last three months, I've made 6 formals, some far more elaborate than others.

A ruffle doesn't have to have to be gathered at the seam, though that's often how ruffles are created. However, you can also add a ruffle by cutting the fabric for the ruffle on the bias and adding a slight grade outwards, which will give just a gentle, flowing ruffly effect. This is most certainly the case with Madeleine's dress.

I like the sketch a lot more than the actual dress. The waist is, as others have noted, just a bit too high. I'd have dropped the waist maybe an inch or so. And, I probably would have added just a couple inches more of fabric in the skirt at the waist, to give just a bit more poof. I'm not sure how much more though because it might have looked too frumpy and unflattering on her hips if there was too much extra fabric added into the skirt. But, I definitely would have had more than was there because there's not enough and the gather of the skirt to the waist is just too tiny. It fooled a couple of others, upthread, into thinking that it was a straight seam when it's not. I also think the skirt would have benefited from a more pronounced use of lace, similar to the way it was used on her illusion neckline. Yes, you can see the lace but the sketch just has some oomph to it that the reality is lacking.

Finally, others have noted that there is something not quite right with the cut and this isn't quite correct. There is something not quite right with the fit, especially on the side back section of the dress. I saw a couple of pictures where the fit was obviously loose and while you don't want a dress you plan on wearing for hours upon hours while eating, dancing and celebrating to be skintight, the fit should have been smooth when she was standing.

These are all, in all honestly, rather nitpicky items though. I think the dress is really beautiful. I loved her makeup, the veil and tiara. I really loved the bodice front. It was quite a lovely look and well worth getting up at 7am on a Saturday morning to witness. Especially seeing how affectionate and obviously in love Christopher is with his bride.
I agree with your observations about the fit. The waist could have been slightly lower and the skirt fuller. In fact I was convinced Madde would have a "poufy" bridal gown because that seems to be her style.

But as for the bodice not fitting quite right, I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Love the top, not so much the skirt. So glad not to see the hideous Cameo Tiara!
The Cameo gets lots of love on most Royal message boards but I have always hated it. It always seems either too large or too small for the head of the person wearing it and it just looks, weird imo, even though it's historical significance is impressive.

I also hate the fact that it limits the type of bridal veil that can be worn.

I am relieved Madeleine passed it over.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Sunnystar's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon, United States
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree with your observations about the fit. The waist could have been slightly lower and the skirt fuller. In fact I was convinced Madde would have a "poufy" bridal gown because that seems to be her style.

But as for the bodice not fitting quite right, I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.
You know, I hadn't considered crash dieting as a cause for the bodice not quite fitting right but I think you're absolutely correct. Goodness knows I've made enough dresses where the fit changes drastically when the wearer loses or gains weight. Or when loaned to someone with a completely different body type.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Nikki63's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Yellow Roseville, United States
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.

Valentino would have slit his own throat rather than let Maddie go down the isle with the dress not fitting right. Chances are good she either consciously dieted, or the stress got to her.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Bine221's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki63 View Post
Valentino would have slit his own throat rather than let Maddie go down the isle with the dress not fitting right. Chances are good she either consciously dieted, or the stress got to her.
You are probably right. I have seen this un-perfect fit in TV as welll - especially if they showed pics from the back.
BYe Bine
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,652
I thought Madeleine looked lovely and I really like her dress, especially the veil/train. Here are some photos I found online, I apologize if they have been posted before:

http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.co...63417-copy.jpg
http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/u...-Rundquist.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...2_964x1448.jpg
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 AM
cdm's Avatar
cdm cdm is offline
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: België, Belgique, Belgium
Posts: 1,301
At first I wasn't wow-ed about the dress.
But total image was really pretty, her hair, jewelry, make-up, dress, shoes and bouquet.
On TV the details of the dress weren't that visible.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM
PrincessofEurope's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: *, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,196
Agree with what others here have posted that the waist line of the dress just isn't right - it would have been better lower. Also it became apparent in the carriage ride that the off shoulder and drop v back of the dress didn't quite work as well or sit properly.

It is a very romantic style gown with the lace and frill and I think suited better to a younger bride - and by that I mean one in her early 20s. However she did look very nice and she went her on way with the tiara (I adore this modern fringe tiara) and by not using the family veil. Too me this was a clear indication of her making a statement that this is a family wedding - not a massive royal state event as she isn't the heir and Chris isn't going to join the family for duties.
__________________
This is the stuff of fairytales

Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM
biboquinhas's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portugal, Portugal
Posts: 3,116
is it supposed to be a one shoulder dress?
__________________
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE provides food for an animal in a shelter or sanctuary. Feed an animal in need, click for free.http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
biboquinhas's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portugal, Portugal
Posts: 3,116
Any good photo of the other dress???
__________________
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE provides food for an animal in a shelter or sanctuary. Feed an animal in need, click for free.http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Princess Luna's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 954
Princess Madeleine did look FANTASTIC, the dress was amazing ! And I am so very happy that she didn`t wear the Cameo :-)
__________________
~ I'm just coming down to earth. ~ Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, After announcement of her engagement to Prince Charles, February 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
I think that the idea of Princess Madeleine's wedding dress design resembles her sister's wedding dress too much.
It may be an original design, but the idea is - in my opinion - copied from her sister. Off the shoulder and no sleeves.
I don't know, I guess I had not expected a dress this "simple" in style. Perhaps a 3/4 sleeve or so.

She does look very happy and radiant, and her groom was beaming and big smiles, but I'm not a (particular) fan of her dress. It's not ugly, not at all, but for me not special either.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 06-09-2013, 03:30 PM
AlisaVilgh's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 25
I like her tiara and flower before it.
Perfect shoes.
Very sensitive groom)))

The dress......casual....I expected something more tender.... Like the princess from Disney cartoon))) maybe like her second gown.

But the gown to service......too havy lace in the top....maybe must be plain in this area.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 PM
agogo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: côte d'océan Pacifique, United States
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think so too, just as Caroline of Monaco was the most naturally gorgeous princess of her generation.

But if Madeleine doesn't chuck the cigarettes and suntans, she is going to age in the unfortunate way her aunts and Princess Caroline have, and her beauty is going to soon be a very distant memory.
I completely agree, Madeline is a beautiful princess and so was Caroline. the sun does more damage to skin that anything else. Anyone indulging in these habits pay a huge price.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 06-09-2013, 04:42 PM
mum mum is offline
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: pretoria, South Africa
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but I love, love , love it and think Madde looks absolutely stunning.
Then I guess that we are both in the minority, because I also love the dress and everything that goes with it!!!! The ruffle that so many are complaining about is very soft and romantic and incorporate so well with the train!! If you think about royal wedding dresses in the past where ruffles were used, I always got the impression that it was added to maybe make the dress look longer - by that I mean it didn't appear as part of the original design. With Princess Madeleine's dress it is the complete opposite - the ruffle is part of the design and is part of the train. My home language isn't English and I wished that I could have expressed myself better!!
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 06-09-2013, 05:00 PM
soraya's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: somewhere, France
Posts: 682
I don't know if this have been already posted
Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill's royal wedding: best moments
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wedding Tiara of Princess Madeleine of Sweden Marengo Royal Jewels General Discussion 83 06-14-2013 08:42 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 beatrice borromeo best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit 2016 catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events dom duarte duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll felipe vi grand duchess josephine-charlotte grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess charlene fashion princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises