The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Royal Highness

The second dress looks a little too prom-ish to me.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Now I am intrigued...I looked very closely on another message board and there was very definitely a ruffle.

Now I am going to rush off to study it even closer!
There is definitely a ruffle.

I am, by no means, a master couturier, however, I do sew. A LOT. And by "a lot" I mean a lot of formals for young ladies. I've lost track of the number of formals that I've made in the past 15 years but it's easily a couple hundred. Just in the last three months, I've made 6 formals, some far more elaborate than others.

A ruffle doesn't have to have to be gathered at the seam, though that's often how ruffles are created. However, you can also add a ruffle by cutting the fabric for the ruffle on the bias and adding a slight grade outwards, which will give just a gentle, flowing ruffly effect. This is most certainly the case with Madeleine's dress.

I like the sketch a lot more than the actual dress. The waist is, as others have noted, just a bit too high. I'd have dropped the waist maybe an inch or so. And, I probably would have added just a couple inches more of fabric in the skirt at the waist, to give just a bit more poof. I'm not sure how much more though because it might have looked too frumpy and unflattering on her hips if there was too much extra fabric added into the skirt. But, I definitely would have had more than was there because there's not enough and the gather of the skirt to the waist is just too tiny. It fooled a couple of others, upthread, into thinking that it was a straight seam when it's not. I also think the skirt would have benefited from a more pronounced use of lace, similar to the way it was used on her illusion neckline. Yes, you can see the lace but the sketch just has some oomph to it that the reality is lacking.

Finally, others have noted that there is something not quite right with the cut and this isn't quite correct. There is something not quite right with the fit, especially on the side back section of the dress. I saw a couple of pictures where the fit was obviously loose and while you don't want a dress you plan on wearing for hours upon hours while eating, dancing and celebrating to be skintight, the fit should have been smooth when she was standing.

These are all, in all honestly, rather nitpicky items though. I think the dress is really beautiful. I loved her makeup, the veil and tiara. I really loved the bodice front. It was quite a lovely look and well worth getting up at 7am on a Saturday morning to witness. Especially seeing how affectionate and obviously in love Christopher is with his bride.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I have to say I just loved the shoes .... Thanks Marika for posting the close up I love them on trend without being OTT.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Those were some amazing shoes I must say, such fantastic shoes paired with a far from fantastic dress. I would sleep in those shoes. I am seriously givin up on trying to figure out what is going on at the bottom of her dress; whatever it is it shouldn't have been done.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
There is definitely a ruffle.

I am, by no means, a master couturier, however, I do sew. A LOT. And by "a lot" I mean a lot of formals for young ladies. I've lost track of the number of formals that I've made in the past 15 years but it's easily a couple hundred. Just in the last three months, I've made 6 formals, some far more elaborate than others.

A ruffle doesn't have to have to be gathered at the seam, though that's often how ruffles are created. However, you can also add a ruffle by cutting the fabric for the ruffle on the bias and adding a slight grade outwards, which will give just a gentle, flowing ruffly effect. This is most certainly the case with Madeleine's dress.

I like the sketch a lot more than the actual dress. The waist is, as others have noted, just a bit too high. I'd have dropped the waist maybe an inch or so. And, I probably would have added just a couple inches more of fabric in the skirt at the waist, to give just a bit more poof. I'm not sure how much more though because it might have looked too frumpy and unflattering on her hips if there was too much extra fabric added into the skirt. But, I definitely would have had more than was there because there's not enough and the gather of the skirt to the waist is just too tiny. It fooled a couple of others, upthread, into thinking that it was a straight seam when it's not. I also think the skirt would have benefited from a more pronounced use of lace, similar to the way it was used on her illusion neckline. Yes, you can see the lace but the sketch just has some oomph to it that the reality is lacking.

Finally, others have noted that there is something not quite right with the cut and this isn't quite correct. There is something not quite right with the fit, especially on the side back section of the dress. I saw a couple of pictures where the fit was obviously loose and while you don't want a dress you plan on wearing for hours upon hours while eating, dancing and celebrating to be skintight, the fit should have been smooth when she was standing.

These are all, in all honestly, rather nitpicky items though. I think the dress is really beautiful. I loved her makeup, the veil and tiara. I really loved the bodice front. It was quite a lovely look and well worth getting up at 7am on a Saturday morning to witness. Especially seeing how affectionate and obviously in love Christopher is with his bride.
I agree with your observations about the fit. The waist could have been slightly lower and the skirt fuller. In fact I was convinced Madde would have a "poufy" bridal gown because that seems to be her style.

But as for the bodice not fitting quite right, I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Love the top, not so much the skirt. So glad not to see the hideous Cameo Tiara!
The Cameo gets lots of love on most Royal message boards but I have always hated it. It always seems either too large or too small for the head of the person wearing it and it just looks, weird imo, even though it's historical significance is impressive.

I also hate the fact that it limits the type of bridal veil that can be worn.

I am relieved Madeleine passed it over.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I agree with your observations about the fit. The waist could have been slightly lower and the skirt fuller. In fact I was convinced Madde would have a "poufy" bridal gown because that seems to be her style.

But as for the bodice not fitting quite right, I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.
You know, I hadn't considered crash dieting as a cause for the bodice not quite fitting right but I think you're absolutely correct. Goodness knows I've made enough dresses where the fit changes drastically when the wearer loses or gains weight. Or when loaned to someone with a completely different body type.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.

Valentino would have slit his own throat rather than let Maddie go down the isle with the dress not fitting right. Chances are good she either consciously dieted, or the stress got to her.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki63 View Post
Valentino would have slit his own throat rather than let Maddie go down the isle with the dress not fitting right. Chances are good she either consciously dieted, or the stress got to her.
You are probably right. I have seen this un-perfect fit in TV as welll - especially if they showed pics from the back.
BYe Bine
Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I thought Madeleine looked lovely and I really like her dress, especially the veil/train. Here are some photos I found online, I apologize if they have been posted before:

http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.co...63417-copy.jpg
http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/u...-Rundquist.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...2_964x1448.jpg

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Serene Highness

At first I wasn't wow-ed about the dress.
But total image was really pretty, her hair, jewelry, make-up, dress, shoes and bouquet.
On TV the details of the dress weren't that visible.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Agree with what others here have posted that the waist line of the dress just isn't right - it would have been better lower. Also it became apparent in the carriage ride that the off shoulder and drop v back of the dress didn't quite work as well or sit properly.

It is a very romantic style gown with the lace and frill and I think suited better to a younger bride - and by that I mean one in her early 20s. However she did look very nice and she went her on way with the tiara (I adore this modern fringe tiara) and by not using the family veil. Too me this was a clear indication of her making a statement that this is a family wedding - not a massive royal state event as she isn't the heir and Chris isn't going to join the family for duties.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

is it supposed to be a one shoulder dress?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Any good photo of the other dress???
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Courtier

Princess Madeleine did look FANTASTIC, the dress was amazing ! And I am so very happy that she didn`t wear the Cameo :-)
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

I think that the idea of Princess Madeleine's wedding dress design resembles her sister's wedding dress too much.
It may be an original design, but the idea is - in my opinion - copied from her sister. Off the shoulder and no sleeves.
I don't know, I guess I had not expected a dress this "simple" in style. Perhaps a 3/4 sleeve or so.

She does look very happy and radiant, and her groom was beaming and big smiles, but I'm not a (particular) fan of her dress. It's not ugly, not at all, but for me not special either.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Commoner

I like her tiara and flower before it.
Perfect shoes.
Very sensitive groom)))

The dress......casual....I expected something more tender.... Like the princess from Disney cartoon))) maybe like her second gown.

But the gown to service......too havy lace in the top....maybe must be plain in this area.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think so too, just as Caroline of Monaco was the most naturally gorgeous princess of her generation.

But if Madeleine doesn't chuck the cigarettes and suntans, she is going to age in the unfortunate way her aunts and Princess Caroline have, and her beauty is going to soon be a very distant memory.
I completely agree, Madeline is a beautiful princess and so was Caroline. the sun does more damage to skin that anything else. Anyone indulging in these habits pay a huge price.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but I love, love , love it and think Madde looks absolutely stunning.
Then I guess that we are both in the minority, because I also love the dress and everything that goes with it!!!! The ruffle that so many are complaining about is very soft and romantic and incorporate so well with the train!! If you think about royal wedding dresses in the past where ruffles were used, I always got the impression that it was added to maybe make the dress look longer - by that I mean it didn't appear as part of the original design. With Princess Madeleine's dress it is the complete opposite - the ruffle is part of the design and is part of the train. My home language isn't English and I wished that I could have expressed myself better!!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Courtier

I don't know if this have been already posted
Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill's royal wedding: best moments