Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And you don't think John, Ricardo or Valentino can design simple gowns? For all I can remember Valentino did a pretty good job with Maxima.
Ricardo Tisci designed a very simple, yet exquisite wedding dress for Lara Stone. What he projects on the runway is his own fantasy and imagination. He can design with someone as Victoria in his mind too. That's why he is Ricardo Tisci.

And want to remind you that designers can design free if their names are mentioned as the designer.
And daddy can afford Elie Saab, he'd be able to afford smaller designers like Zac Posen or Oscar de la Renta. (And he is a king at the wedding department thank you very much)

Grace Kellys has always been my favorite, but Victoria is a close second.

I think you're missing the point. Victoria has worn Per's designs numerous times and obviously loved the quality of his work. So she wanted him to design her wedding dress. Again, Victoria is not a pretentious or ostentatious person and it has nothing to do with whether or not her family could personally afford for her to have a wedding dress by Valentino. That's not the kind of person she is and the fact she chose to go with someone who has dressed her in the past AND someone who is a Swedish designer is IMO, the right decision to make. Just because other royal brides have worn designer dresses doesn't mean anything in terms of Victoria's wedding.

You're hung up on thinking that labels are important and they aren't.

Well, I'm obviously going to say I like Victoria's the best, but it's because it was the perfect dress in proportion to who was wearing it and also because it was SO simple and unadorned as to be quite breathtaking. It was a done deal for Victoria and the designer that the Cameo Tiara and Lace Veil would be worn, so the dress really did have to fit in with the length and shape of the veil. Would longer sleeves have REALLY looked better? No because it wouldn't have looked so neat and chic. Would embroidery REALLY have benefited the design even if the embroidery reflected the design of the tiara or lace? No, because it would have been complicated to look at and confusing to the eye. A fuller skirt would have drowned out the bride, a tighter skirt would have been too modern. At the end of the day I cannot criticise Victoria's choice and I really do think that of all the royal brides, the shape and style fitted Victoria both as a crown princess and woman the most immaculately.

Maxima's dress remains my favorite with Mette-Marit, Victoria, Grace Kelly, Sarah (ne Armstrong-Jones) Chatto, Diana (for its time), Mary, Princess Margaret, Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Alexandra of Kent in contention as runner-ups.l

Maxima's dress remains my favorite with Mette-Marit, Victoria, Grace Kelly, Sarah (ne Armstrong-Jones) Chatto, Diana (for its time), Mary, Princess Margaret, Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Alexandra of Kent in contention as runner-ups.l
Maxima's veil is the loveliest out of all! I love the lace on it. It is my all time favorite.:flowers:

Princess Margaret's gown was beautiful in it's simplicity and I love the cut and style. I keep coming back to it again and again. I think it's my favorite of all. I especially love the tiara she wore...

Getty Photos - Archives
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xr/79...3BB87AD9E7DBE2C284F5C34FFC2F8E30A760B0D811297

Last edited:
I have to say that Victoria's gown was a delightful surprise. I LOVED it. The diadem, the earrings, bouqet...all perfection.

I also love Camilla Crociani's gown when she married Charles de Bourbon-Siciles.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Chimene on all three choices. My all-time personal favorite is Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones. Beautifully simple, elegant, and timeless. She and her wedding party remain the best of the best.

My number two is so similar to hers as to almost be a tie. But Mette-Marit was truly a vision that day. The dress, veil, and bouguet all worked beautifully to show off her long, slender silhouette and beautiful neckline.

Yesterday's event gave me my number three. Mainly because of the simplicity of the gown, the lines, and the fit. From every direction and every angle, there isn't one bad photograph of CP Victoria. While almost all of the other crown princesses looked beautiful on their wedding days, many of them either had the modern version of the 1976 Bride of Frankenstein meets medieval nun outfit of Silvia (Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde) or they had some over-the-top too big, too embellished, too expensive, too much dress (Marie-Chantal, Mary, and at the time of her wedding Rania). Victoria's skirt was big enough to balance out the cameo tiara without looking like a parade float (Mary), and the top was simple enough to not compete with the veil or tiara without looking like she was in an iron lung (Maxima).

I know it sounds like I am bagging on the others, when really I thought they all looked great, but in retrospect, those are my impressions.

In fact, the only ones I really didn't like were Rania's which looked like the bride of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Marie-Chantal - because it's shame they spent all that money for her to look like a great big doily.

:previous:

What she said. :flowers:

Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, Mette-Marit & Victoria are my faves.

Victoria's gown was well-suited for her, but I like Mette-Marit's gown the best; it was very elegant and beautiful. She certainly looked like a bride on her wedding day!

In fact, the only ones I really didn't like were Rania's which looked like the bride of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Marie-Chantal - because it's shame they spent all that money for her to look like a great big doily.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I just landed on the floor.
Valentino at his worst, imo. I didn't think that was possible because the man knows how to dress a woman.

I think you're missing the point. Victoria has worn Per's designs numerous times and obviously loved the quality of his work. So she wanted him to design her wedding dress. Again, Victoria is not a pretentious or ostentatious person and it has nothing to do with whether or not her family could personally afford for her to have a wedding dress by Valentino. That's not the kind of person she is and the fact she chose to go with someone who has dressed her in the past AND someone who is a Swedish designer is IMO, the right decision to make. Just because other royal brides have worn designer dresses doesn't mean anything in terms of Victoria's wedding.

You're hung up on thinking that labels are important and they aren't.
Wasn't you the one who mentioned the financial status? And why is wearing a couture dress pretentious? Her pre-wedding gown was Elie Saab Couture.

All I am saying is that his designs don't stand out to me. The dress doesn't have any luxury feel to it. Maxima's dress was simple as well but it breathed so much more. Good for her she choice a Swedish designer, but in my eyes a Couturier will always do it better.

Personally I adore the style of Victoria's dress. It was simple, but so elegant the same time. It was quite a wise choice to decide to wear a simple dress with the detailed veil and impressive tiara. I loved the cut of the dress and the way it moved when she walked. The colour was also very nice and I liked the way it shone in the sun.
The style was perfect for Victoria. Imo the dress really was a reflection of her personality. Somehow I could not have imagined any other style on her.

Wasn't you the one who mentioned the financial status? And why is wearing a couture dress pretentious? Her pre-wedding gown was Elie Saab Couture.

All I am saying is that his designs don't stand out to me. The dress doesn't have any luxury feel to it. Maxima's dress was simple as well but it breathed so much more. Good for her she choice a Swedish designer, but in my eyes a Couturier will always do it better.
I have to agree with you that the gown does not stand out for me either and it came at a hefty price tag.. of nearly $100,000 US as i read on the other board.Label or not it will appeal to most and not to some.

The style of Victoria's dress reminded me of the Maxima's: simple and regal.

Anyway, now that all the current crown prince(sse)s are married:
1. Mette-Marit
2. Maxima
3. Victoria
4. Camilla
5. Mathilde
6. Mary (really didn't like her hairdo and how the veil was attached to her head)
7. Letizia
8. Diana (even with keeping the 80's fashion sense in mind:))

I think that CP Victoria's simple dress was perfect choice to combine with Daniel's white tie.

Mette-Marit's wedding dress is number one for me.

I have to agree with Chimene on all three choices. My all-time personal favorite is Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones. Beautifully simple, elegant, and timeless. She and her wedding party remain the best of the best.

My number two is so similar to hers as to almost be a tie. But Mette-Marit was truly a vision that day. The dress, veil, and bouguet all worked beautifully to show off her long, slender silhouette and beautiful neckline.

Yesterday's event gave me my number three. Mainly because of the simplicity of the gown, the lines, and the fit. From every direction and every angle, there isn't one bad photograph of CP Victoria. While almost all of the other crown princesses looked beautiful on their wedding days, many of them either had the modern version of the 1976 Bride of Frankenstein meets medieval nun outfit of Silvia (Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde) or they had some over-the-top too big, too embellished, too expensive, too much dress (Marie-Chantal, Mary, and at the time of her wedding Rania). Victoria's skirt was big enough to balance out the cameo tiara without looking like a parade float (Mary), and the top was simple enough to not compete with the veil or tiara without looking like she was in an iron lung (Maxima).

I know it sounds like I am bagging on the others, when really I thought they all looked great, but in retrospect, those are my impressions.

Thanks for mentioning Marie -Chantal. That was a lot of dress with a lot of lace that cost a lot of money. I thought it was pretty but a tad overdone...:D

Victoria's gown is my new favorite followed by Mette-Marit's.:flowers:

Victoria's dress was really beautifully - the simple dress was a perfect match for the lace veil and the cameo tiara. I really like the off-shoulder neckline and the waistline. I always imagined her wearing a simple dress as it suited her style perfectly.

Mette-Marit and Victoria went for the most simple dresses - their dresses will stand the test of time and will be models for future royal brides. Sometimes choosing the simple understated look is better

Personally I adore the style of Victoria's dress. It was simple, but so elegant the same time. It was quite a wise choice to decide to wear a simple dress with the detailed veil and impressive tiara. I loved the cut of the dress and the way it moved when she walked. The colour was also very nice and I liked the way it shone in the sun.
The style was perfect for Victoria. Imo the dress really was a reflection of her personality. Somehow I could not have imagined any other style on her.

I am with you on this one...I thought her gown and her entire look were beyond perfection...understated, elegant..REGAL.

CP Victoria is now one of my top five Royal brides of all time, and her wedding is my choice for most beautiful, along with Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium in 1960.

Do you think the most beautiful and most becoming to the royal wedding and a wedding to which the Crown Princess?
CP Victoria is now also among the options.
We wonder if the selection and ranking.

Options : order of wedding date

Mathilde
Mette-Marit
Maxima
Mary
Letizia
Victoria

I love this dress and look like royal wedding dress...

for dresses:
mette marit
maxima
mathilde
victoria
letizia
mary
for the way to be:
victoria was the best one by far!!

Reading this thread- it seems like many of us like dresses that we think "suit" the bride who wore them. For instance- I would not choose Princess Victoria's dress for myself or my daughter, but I thought it looked fantastic on her, especially with the veil and tiara that is tradition for the brides in her family. I think the same is true for Princess Mette-Marit as her dress seemed to capture the modern simplicity that defines her.

It is also interesting- many of the gowns admired in this discussion are ones that were simple and elegant. Is that our preference for a royal bride or are we influenced by current fashion? If the fussy ballgowns of the early 1980s come back in fashion, will we prefer those styles again?!

I think one is not so much influenced by fashion in royal brides. A "fashionable bride" would not choose a dress like Viktorias or Letizias, they seem to ceremonial in a way. That seems to be the problem some people her have with Viktorias dress. It is "plain". But it does not have to look princessy, because there actually is a Crown Princess inside! One that wants to be seen, rather than showing off her dress. When she is on a public mission she does have a clothes style that I find simple but chic on her, but I would not call it fashionable. Though I could immagine that she inspires young professional women with it.
Oh and by the way: I still LOVE the wedding dress of Princess Diana. But one has to be very young to pull it off, and maybe forget about the puffy sleeves.

Thanks, Lorette- you raise a really good point. Clothing, for royal women, is part of the way they approach their job. Just like I wear a suit when I have to make a presentation, the royals choose clothing for official duties that certainly is fashionable, but has a larger purpose.

This raises a great question- should a royal wedding dress be more about ceremony and duty than about individual or personal style? Or, should personal style be more important? Is this different for a crown princess than for other princesses or a young woman marrying into a royal family?

I am very interested in your thoughts!

It's interesting what Lorette and Shelo say above, because I think we do have to remember that a royal wedding is an historical event in the same way that a coronation or inauguration/crowning is. As such, the design of the royal wedding dress must incorporate elements of the wearer's personal style and wishes, together with choosing something that suits her and ultimately of course being mindful of the ceremony and history attached to the event.

I think that the issue is very different for a royal born princesses than for a woman marrying in to royalty. I've mentioned somewhere else that I think some of the royal wedding dress designers for brides marrying into royalty have "tried too hard" to create something regal enough, memorable and fashionable all at the same time, and although they will have taken into consideration the bride's personal wishes, they will have influenced their own ideas onto her - not least of all because for most of these brides it will have been the first couture outfit made especially for them. With Victoria, born and bred royal, she will have been able to influence the design far more and her perspective will have been more natural for the occassion as couture clothing will probably have formed a large proportion of her wardrobe already.

I think it is certainly different for a future queen. And it depends on the status of the Royals. The british royals are different from the ones in Monacco, for example. The later seem to enjoy a bit more circus and show. I think that a royal wedding of a crown prince or princess is a formal, state event. CP Viktoria said in one interview: "it has been decided that our wedding is going to be a state affair" and gave this "we-don't-need-it-but-what-can-you-do" look.
And ny young commoner woman who marries so high up into a royal family might want to consider that she is on an official mission and not on her privat most beautiful day dream. Especially someone not brought up in the public eye would want maybe to appear more formal to protect themselves from the everstaring eyes of the public and the press. I have a feeling that the big glasses of Prince Daniel have that function. (wearing glasses myself I know that they can give one a feeling of sheltering one's privacy) I think it is a thin line between being emotionally moved oneself and to know that every step one takes is being scrutinized by people much more versed in protocoll themselves, plus the never entirely trustworthy press.
I wonder then if the court protocoll has something to say in it as well. The dress from Cinderellas foto is very lovely, but a bit Cinderella, or Barbie style:). It is what girls who wanna be princesses dream of, but not really what is worn by princesses. Their dresses seem to be long-sleeved and much less playfull.
CP Viktoria in fact seemed to me to be perfectly in charge of the situation, she was not just a bride, but a crownprincess on a public mission.

Back
Top Bottom