Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017-Aug 2020)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexia as the most prominent one and a little provocative. Ariane is transitioning from child to teenager and as we've seen for some time: Amalia as the responsible older sister.

Disagree. She's 12 years old. She's a child. :ermm: That can be ascribed by interpretation by the observer but cannot be seen as intrinsic to the observed. (If you mean 'provocative' the way I think you mean it).

Lovely three sisters. I can almost see three entirely different personalities in their sweet faces. The one I have always favored [if such a phrase is even correct] is Ariane. She fascinates me as I always wonder what that sweet face is thinking. Looking forward to watch them all develop into special young ladies and praying for happy futures.

Alexia as the most prominent one and a little provocative. Ariane is transitioning from child to teenager and as we've seen for some time: Amalia as the responsible older sister.

Disagree. She's 12 years old. She's a child. :ermm: That can be ascribed by interpretation by the observer but cannot be seen as intrinsic to the observed. (If you mean 'provocative' the way I think you mean it).

I don't think "provocative" as posted by Somebody was intended as "sexually out there" if that is what you (Lady Nimue) meant in your reply.

Imo it could also mean something along the lines of "outspoken" or "bit of a rebel"; those words are used by other comments about P.Alexia with regards to the new photos (not meant in a negative way, by the way, dutch people tend to like somebody being "outspoken" ;) )

The new photos are great (Erwin Olaf is one of the best contemporary photographers of the NL, although i don't recommend looking up his earlier works, if you're a bit queasy about nudity and sexuality ;) )

I do agree they are a bit glam, but why not after years of photos "in ordinary situations" (beach, boat, skiing), so imo it's a nice twist.

Last edited:
I do agree they are a bit glam, but why not after years of photos "in ordinary situations" (beach, boat, skiing), so imo it's a nice twist.

It is a shame they don’t ditch the summer/winter photo sessions and just do this kind of thing. Its certainly got a reaction. William and Kate seem to get away with issuing photos arounds birthdays etc and the occasional glimpse of the children( no doubt there is photo of the new baby with his siblings on its way)

I can’t imagine that a barrage of photographers is the most relaxing thing to face.

A genuinely nice looking family.

My personal favorite, if you can have one, must be Alexia. I bet she can be full of mischief when it suits her! :D

I look forward to seeing the girls together with other royals their age in just a few years. It'll be interesting to see if close friendships will be made between them and between who.
- And the boy-girl combinations should keep the gossip mags happy.

I don't think "provocative" as posted by Somebody was intended as "sexually out there" if that is what you (Lady Nimue) meant in your reply.

Imo it could also mean something along the lines of "outspoken" or "bit of a rebel"; those words are used by other comments about P.Alexia with regards to the new photos (not meant in a negative way, by the way, dutch people tend to like somebody being "outspoken" ;) )

The new photos are great (Erwin Olaf is one of the best contemporary photographers of the NL, although i don't recommend looking up his earlier works, if you're a bit queasy about nudity and sexuality ;) )

Thanks Lee-Z, that's exactly what I tried to say (uitdagend in Dutch). In no way was it meant as a negative qualification. She clearly is a teenager by now and it shows. A well-assured young lady! Full of mischief (by Muhler) also fits with this picture.

This big picture (click on the picture to expand) shows all the "Home Orders" of the King:

1. The cordon and breast star of the Militaire Willems-Orde (the highest military Order) - motto: Voor Moed, Beleid en Trouw (For Bravery, Leadership and Loyalty)

2. The breast star of the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands (the highest civic Order) - motto: Virtus Nobilitat (Virtue Ennobles)

3. Insigne Knight Grand-Cross Order of the Lion of the Netherlands (State Order)

5. Insigne Knight Grand-Cross Order of Orange-Nassau (State Order)

6. Insigne Knight Grand-Cross Order of the House Nassau (Dynastic Order)

7. Insigne Knight Grand-Cross Order of the House Orange (Dynastic Order)

8. Officers' Cross (military achievement)

9. Investiture Medal 1980 (commemorative medal)

10. Insigne Commander Order of Saint John of Jerusalem (spiritual Order)

11. Cross of the Eleven Cities Skating Tour 1986 (private achievement)

Last edited:
The milk has gone very sour for the republican media. They hoped to scandalize the Royal House with dodgy tax deals made in the early seventies. A parliamentary investigation committee concluded after exhausting investigation, there is no deal or something like that.

Then the King, as sharholder of Shell ("and one of the richest men because of that) should invoke the honorific Koninklijke from this company because it's daugher NAM is responsible for the exploration of gas in Groningen and responsible for earthquakes and damages. It became clear: His Majesty has no interests in any company with the honorific Koninklijke.

Then the Republican Society claimed that the Royal House did not cost us 66 million per year but at least five times more. Their claim was beased on guesses from A to Z, from palaces the family does to even the costs of King's Day in the cities. It felt flat dead in a glass of old beer.

Then the influential Dutch comedian tried to tackle any "pro" of the monarchy in NRC Handelsblad, an openly republican media outlet.

And the result? The King is more popular than ever. No wonder they grind their teeth,

------

At the same time I make nu any illusion. The personal popularity of the King and his family is nice. That is not the same as having a preference for a monarchy. Never mix these two things!

I agree that the new photos do seem rather glamorous and like something out of a glossy shampoo add; but they are gorgeous nevertheless. The AAA's are really growing up - it's hard to believe that Alexia is 12 - I showed a photo of her to my mother and she thought that she was in her late teens. I've always thought that Amalia looks like Willem the most but in her individual portrait she looks a lot like Maxima.

Queen Máxima has replied to an open letter and video message from Nadia Rashid, the mother of now four-year-old Insiya who was kidnapped to India in September 2016.

"It is terrible - especially on Mother's Day - when a mother and her child cannot be together against their will. That lack is poignant ", said Máxima through the Government Information Service.

** nos.nl: Moeder van ontvoerde Insiya krijgt brief van Máxima ** translation **

Interesting to see that the royals keep close contact with their German family and friends.

Johann Christian Freiherr von Jenisch was a youth friend of the late Prince Claus. He was one of the witnesses at the wedding of Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus. He was also godfather to the late Prince Friso, the King's brother.

The King and his brother Prince Constantijn were at the funeral of Johann Christian Freiherr von Jenisch: https://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/article106701707/Abschied-von-Jenisch.html

Marcus Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff is related to the late Prince Bernhard (who was also godfather to Marcus, by the way). Marcus himself was a pageboy at the wedding of Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus. And Princess Laurentien is godmother to his son Christoph Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff.

Relation between Marcus and Willem-Alexander:

Aschwin Thedel Adelbert Freiherr von Cramm (1846-1909)
x Hedwig Sophie Bernhardine Luise Freiin von Sierstorpff-Driburg (1848-1900)

= Armgard Kunigunde Alharda Agnes Oda Freiin von Sierstorpff-Cramm
|
Armgard Kunigunde Alharda Agnes Oda Freiin von Sierstorpff-Cramm (1883-1971)
x Bernhard Kasimir Friedrich Gustav Heinrich Wilhelm Eduard Prinz zur Lippe-Biesterfeld (1872-1934)
= Bernhard Leopold Friedrich Eberhard Julius Kurt Karl Gottfried Peter Prinz zur Lippe-Biesterfeld
|
Bernhard Leopold Friedrich Eberhard Julius Kurt Karl Gottfried Peter Prinz zur Lippe-Biesterfeld cr. prins der Nederlanden (1911-2004)
x Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, hertogin van Mecklenburg (1909-2004)
= Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, prinses van Lippe-Biesterfeld
|
Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, prinses van Lippe-Biesterfeld (1938)
x Claus Georg Wilhelm Otto Friedrich Gerd von Amsberg cr. prins der Nederlanden (1926-2002)
= Willem-Alexander Claus Georg Ferdinand prins der Nederlanden, prins van Oranje-Nassau, jonkheer van Amsberg
|
Willem-Alexander Claus Georg Ferdinand prins der Nederlanden, prins van Oranje-Nassau, jonkheer van Amsberg (1967)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aschwin Thedel Adelbert Freiherr von Cramm (1846-1909)
x Hedwig Sophie Bernhardine Luise Freiin von Sierstorpff-Driburg (1848-1900)

= Hedwig Freiin von Sierstorpff-Cramm
|
Hedwig Freiin von Sierstorpff-Cramm (1874-1907)

x Wilhelm Karl Ludwig Kuno Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff (1860-1922)
= Rabe-Caspar-Heinrich Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff
|
Rabe-Caspar-Heinrich Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff (1899-1980)
x Margarethe von Zitzewitz (1897-1964)
= Rabe Caspar-Heinrich Wilhelm Joachim Philipp Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff
|
Rabe Caspar-Heinrich Wilhelm Joachim Philipp Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff (1926-2009)
x Ramona Leonie Emma Elisabeth Gräfin von Wedel, Freifrau von Wedel-Jarlsberg (1928-2003)
= Marcus Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff
|
Marcus Graf von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff (1960)

Last edited:
Birth news in the Eikenhorst!

"Last night 7 Labrador puppies were born at the Eikenhorst. They are 4 males and 3 females. The pubs and mother Nala are doing well. One dog stays on the Eikenhorst. For the other 6 brothers and sisters - if they are big enough - another warm home is found"
Picture taken by the King

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkaR_J2FJZC/?taken-by=koninklijkhuis

Cute. And a nice personal but not too personal message to share with the public.

Yesterday, July 7, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima attended a Sting & Shaggy concert at Soestdijk Palace in Baarn:

** Pic ** video **

Does anybody know if there will be a summer holiday family photoshoot for the Royal Family tomorrow?

Seems likely given that tomorrow is the official last day of school for the princesses.

Holidays start so late in the Netherlands?
This year last day of school in Poland fell on 22 June (and official beginning of the school year - on 3 September).

Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017- Present)

Holidays start so late in the Netherlands?
This year last day of school in Poland fell on 22 June (and official beginning of the school year - on 3 September).

British schools break up for the summer later than Polish schools and a lot of other European schools. Most state schools in England break up on July 21 and go back in the first week of September. So for my British mind the princesses break up quite early! Only private schools have broken up so far here in England, and state school students taking GCSE/A level exams.

Last edited:
In Poland all primary and secondary schools, no matter if they are public or private, close the school year after 20 June and open it at the beginning of September.

July and August are always a vacation time for all children and teenagers.

Dutch pupils in primary and secondary schools have 6 weeks of summer break. Even though the country is small for these purposes it is split in three regions:
North: July 21 - Sep 2
Middle: July 14 - Aug 26
South: July 7 - Aug 19

Schools rotate between 'early', 'in-between' and 'late'. Next year North and Middle will switch, so North being 'in-between' and Middle being 'late' in 2019; the year after North and South will switch, so North being 'early' and South being 'middle' in 2020. It's not as complicated as it sounds: the pattern for each region is: 2 times early, 1 time in-between, 2 times late, 1 time in-between, etc. In this way the difference in number of school weeks is only 1 week per school year (either a week longer or a week shorter).

Last edited:
British schools end much later. Most state schools in England break up on July 21 and go back in the first week of September. So for my British mind the princesses break up quite early! Only private schools have broken up so far here in England, and state students taking GCSE/A level exams.

That's only one week later :flowers:

So, the British schools follow the 'North' schedule posted above (unless they start later than the first Monday of September).

In Poland the time of 2-week winter holidays (January-February) is split, depending on the voivodship.

Let's wait for the Photoshot!

In Poland the time of 2-week winter holidays (January-February) is split, depending on the voivodship.

Let's wait for the Photoshot!

Autumn (1 week - typically late October) and 'Spring' (1 week - typically late February) breaks are also split (although 2 regions are lumped together). Only Christmas break (2 weeks covering both Christmas and New Year) and May break (a more recent invention (previously the Netherlands had an Easter break) covering King's day and May 4th (our commemoration of the death - end of World War II) and many times Ascension day is also included in that same period) are the same for all students (although schools can extend the 1 week break by one more week either at the front or at the back - or use those 'additional free days to be allocated by the school' throughout the year for other purposes).

So, the British schools follow the 'North' schedule posted above (unless they start later than the first Monday of September).

Pretty much except they start on a Wednesday as there’s generally a teacher training day.

Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017- Present)

Even though it’s only a week later when the dates are written down and compared like this it does seem a lot later. And I’m sure a lot of students would think that school weeks go quite slowly, haha.
Just out of interest in winter state schools here in England can break up as late as Dec 23 and normally students return in the first week of January (some as early as a day or so after the New Year’s holidays). At secondary school and sixth form I always broke up on Dec 16 or 17 (my sixth form was state and my secondary was private, but the winter term dates were quite similar). A lot of private schools often have two weeks in October for half term whereas many state schools only have one - there’s quite a difference between holiday dates and the state and private sectors here. Everyone has a week in the February and May half terms.
My mother has Italian friends living in Milan and their children break up quite early in June but return later in August/sometimes early September but don’t get any half terms or week long breaks. IIRC the Netherlands have breaks in October that are similar to British half terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom