The Family of Queen Máxima - The Zorreguietas

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Maxima said:
Today Martín appeared in a wine advertsement playing polo in "La Nación" magazine

that is so cool! does anyone have a scan of the advertisement???

Just wondering, I read that the attitude in Argentina is changing now, that people who are not directly involved with disappearances int he 70-ties might be trialed to (like the arrest of Isabel Peron shows), any reason for the Zorreguieta's to become nervous?

Does anybody know if Jorge Zorreguieta was actually accused of knowledge/coorporation in a certain 'case'?

Marengo said:
Just wondering, I read that the attitude in Argentina is changing now, that people who are not directly involved with disappearances int he 70-ties might be trialed to (like the arrest of Isabel Peron shows), any reason for the Zorreguieta's to become nervous?

Does anybody know if Jorge Zorreguieta was actually accused of knowledge/coorporation in a certain 'case'?

as far as i know, the hague tribunal said that jorge zorreguieta had nothing to do with the killings. this was announced shortly before the wedding of maxima and willem.

here is a link to a genealogy tree of maxima by the institute of genealogy of argentina: http://www.angelfire.com/in/heinbruins/Zorr.html

pollyemma said:
Does he get media coverage like this because of Maxima or did photographers just generally take photos of all the polo players?

Argentina's polo players are said to be the world's best, and it is seen as a high-class-people sport. It is very common to see pictures of famous (local) people attend matches and polo tournaments, as well as international visitors, in the magazines and in TV. Polo is not popular, as football (soccer) is in Argentina. However, it gets a lot of media coverage for this reason.

Actually Maxima and WA attended the final match of the Abierto de Polo (the most important tournament) when they came here last year.

The fact that Martín Zorreguieta can appear in different magazines has to do with the fact that he is Maxima's brother, he is no polo player (as Adolfo Cambiasso or the Heguy brothers).

Marengo said:

This arrest has to do with the killing of 1000 people in the 70´s,during her government, before the Junta; and some military men were investigated for the illegal adoption of children of the dissapeared, but Zorreguieta was Minister for a short time and is not involved in anything.

Jorge Zorreguieta is not making headlines this days, and probably won't.

Apparently th boyfriend of Laura Vina has been shot in the streets of Buenos Aires. Did any Argentine poster read about this? His name was Gonsalvo A..something.
Laura Vina is a 2nd cousin of Princess Maxima and makes some press here at time as she is a stripper.

Apparently th boyfriend of Laura Vina has been shot in the streets of Buenos Aires. Did any Argentine poster read about this? His name was Gonsalvo A..something.
Laura Vina is a 2nd cousin of Princess Maxima and makes some press here at time as she is a stripper.

Gonzalo Acro was a River Plate (argentinian football club) 'hooligan' who was shot last week and died. It is said that he was murdered due to an internal dispute for power between two 'bosses' of the RP hooligans (Note: I use the term 'hooligans' to explain that these people are not mere supporters of a team, but violent and dangerous people that gather up in 'gangs' and cause problems...).

He is said to have been Laura Viña's boyfriend. In this article from Clarín

Un chico de barrio y ex estudiante de periodismo

it says "Estaba en pareja con Laura Viña, la prima stripper de la princesa Máxima Zorreguieta." ('He was dating Laura Viña, the stripper cousin of princess Máxima Zorreguieta").

Whether this is actually true...I cannot tell.

Some more links on the supposed relationship between Laura Viña and G.A.:

Con destino de barra

"Gonzalo Acro salía con Laura Viña, una bailarina de Shampoo que saltó a la fama por su parentesco lejano con la princesa Máxima de Holanda." ('Gonzalo Acro was dating Laura Viña, a Shampoo [well known stripping club in Recoleta, Buenos Aires] dancer that got fame for her distant parental relationship with the princess Máxima of the Netherlands')

Prometió venganza

"(...)la novia de Acro, Laura Viña, quien alguna vez tuvo cierta exposición mediática por su parentesco con Máxima Zorreguieta..." ('Acro's girlfriend, Laura Viña, who sometime had a certain media exposure for being a relative of Máxima Zorreguieta..')

Last edited:
Gonzalo Acro was a River Plate (argentinian football club) 'hooligan' who was shot last week and died. It is said that he was murdered due to an internal dispute for power between two 'bosses' of the RP hooligans (Note: I use the term 'hooligans' to explain that these people are not mere supporters of a team, but violent and dangerous people that gather up in 'gangs' and cause problems...).

He is said to have been Laura Viña's boyfriend. In this article from Clarín

Un chico de barrio y ex estudiante de periodismo

it says "Estaba en pareja con Laura Viña, la prima stripper de la princesa Máxima Zorreguieta." ('He was dating Laura Viña, the stripper cousin of princess Máxima Zorreguieta").

Whether this is actually true...I cannot tell.

Some more articles:
MinutoUno · La insólita relación entre el hincha muerto, una stripper y la princesa Máxima Zorreguieta
MinutoUno · La insólita relación entre el hincha muerto, una stripper y la princesa Máxima Zorreguieta

An article said that Laura is related to Maxima through the paternal side, I always thought it was through the maternal one though. Does anyboy know how the two are related (and how distantly?). It seems the press just uses the Maxima-connection to make the story more interesting. Still a horrible way to die though.

their grandmothers were sisters but I do not know on which side. It is odd how families can develop differently.

An article said that Laura is related to Maxima through the paternal side, I always thought it was through the maternal one though. Does anyboy know how the two are related (and how distantly?). It seems the press just uses the Maxima-connection to make the story more interesting. Still a horrible way to die though.

Indeed, the press found the 'connection'...but Laura Viña is always named as "the Princess' cousin", because she has not much relevance of her own, out of the 'stripping-enviroment'.

What is known is that she is a second cousin, though the media usually addresses her as "Máxima's cousin", without further explanation. I believe Máxima never mentioned anything about her, or explained the relationship between the two, right?

According to this article, the relationship comes from the maternal side (she is the daughter of Carmen Cerrutti's cousin):

MinutoUno · Perfil de Laura Viña, la novia del barrabrava de River asesinado

¿Cómo es el parentesco? Las abuelas de ambas eran hermanas, por lo que la mamá de Laura, Mercedes Vigliarchio, es prima hermana de María del Carmen Cerrutti, la madre de Máxima. ('How are they related? The grandmothers of both were sisters, so that Laura's mother, Mercedes Vigliarchio, is the cousin-sister of María del Carmen Cerrutti, Máxima's mother.)

"La sensual bailarina tiene pocos recuerdos de su prima porque se llevan más de 10 años de diferencia, pero sí recuerda su infancia en Pergamino (provincia de Buenos Aires), donde vivían. Ella, por ser la más pequeña debía quedarse en casa mientras Máxima salía con su hermano Sebastián y sus primos más grandes." ('The sexy dancer has only a few memories of her cousin because they have an age difference of more than 10 years, but she does recall her childhood in Pergamino, where they lived. She had to stay at home because she was the youngest, while Máxima went out with her brother Sebastián and her older cousins')

quite a family! I can understand Maxima leaving Argentina and settle in the Netherlands, a small country that doesn't know about her history. :lol:

The strippers is a far family member and i think Maxima has nothing to do with that. I don't even know what my far family members are doing.

But i have to agree with some posters here about her father. If you actively support that regime, in a very hight position you know about the deaths of people and are responible for it. I don't agree with some posters Maxima had to be silence about it. Her marriage with a crown prince, a future head of a state makes her a political figure and so her opinion about the dirty war is important. She grew up with parents who have a very strong support for the regime so a country is entitled to know what she thinks of it.

In my opinion it is hilarius what she said about her fathers role in the regime. And i am sure she knows bettar. It must be very painfull for those who have lost family or those who have been tortured. I think she could have just said the political choises of her father are not the same as hers. But then, would that be the truth? Just saying something political correct if you do not feel it that way? Then it would have been just meaningless words. She has her opinion. Because of the mariage she was forsed to say something about the dirty war and she went for something in the middle.

just to make things clear before we have a war here: I am not suporting the dirty war. i am against it and my sympathy goes out to the victims of it.

This week's Paparazzi magazine (a Story / Privé kind of magazine) features a letter wrote by Laura Viña, dedicated to her deceased boyfriend. It also includes a couple of home-made pictures that make clear that she was truly dating him.

Paparazzi - Archivo

Again, Máxima is mentioned as 'cousin'.

Clarín features today an article on Jorge Zorreguieta, father of CP Máxima:

El padre de Máxima sería el nuevo presidente de la cámara de alimentos

Jorge Zorreguieta is very likely to become the new president of the Copal, a key industrial chamber in Argentina. It gathers representatives of the most powerful companies of food & beverages in our country.

Apparently, the chamber he's already been leading for decades (Centro Azucarero, from the sugar industry) has a very good relationship with the current President and his government. This could be the reason why he is likely to be chosen.

I'd like to point out that he is still adressed as "the father of Máxima" in the title.

Last edited:
thanks, verde esmeralda, for the info! i quite like the fact he will be reelected president of the agriculture chamber. that shows he is after all, a decent and respectful man to the eyes of the argentinians (which i never doubted... but it's good to see that's the public feeling),...

thanks, verde esmeralda, for the info! i quite like the fact he will be reelected president of the agriculture chamber. that shows he is after all, a decent and respectful man to the eyes of the argentinians (which i never doubted... but it's good to see that's the public feeling),...

Well, the chamber for which he would be elected as president is not the same one he currently leads (Centro Azucarero), I don't know whether he will leave that one or be the head of both.

He is undoubtedly a good lobbyst. But apparently, according to the article, his running up for Copal's presidency was led by the government, due to the fact that its current president has had arguments with the head of the Secretary of Commerce (Guillermo Moreno, a very criticized man here, but that's another story)

The article mentions possible doubts on Zorreguieta's running-up, due to the same reasons for which he couldn't attend his daughter's wedding. But indeed, he's got a great influence, as he also belongs to the SRA (Sociedad Rural Argentina), a very powerful group that takes care of what we call 'el campo' (the countryside): meat, agriculture.

Will stop his presidency of the sugar chamber now he has this other job? How old is he now anyway, he must be over 70, and still working!

Wasn´t the administration of Kirchner a bit tougher on members of the Videla regime than previous gouverments? I thought I read that a while ago, so i am surprised by the remark about good relations etc.

-
Thanks for keeping us updates Verde, we don´t get this info here in The Netherlands.

I would think he will share both (assuming he gets this one). After all, there is not much of a contradiction, as sugar/food & beverages are related.
I am not really sure of his age, but he must be around 70. I will check that out for you...

About Kirchner's fobia to ex-Videla's circle ... well, I was surprised as well. But he stood up Beatrix, why wouldn't he contradict himself as well ? His attitudes are often nonsense and shameless IMHO.

What you must know, is that this chamber has a great deal of influence in the prices of what it's called 'la canasta básica' (let's say, the minimun - basic things a family needs to feed its members), and inflation is a hot subject here for the government...

Last edited:
I would think he will share both (assuming he gets this one). After all, there is not much of a contradiction, as sugar/food & beverages are related.
I am not really sure of his age, but he must be around 70. I will check that out for you...

Jorge is 79 years old:eek::D (b. 18 January 1928)

A documentary called "M" is going to make its debut in a few days. This documentary was directed by Nicolás Prividera, whose mother dissappeared in 1976, during the military regime in Argentina.

Prividiera himself started a lawsuit against Mr. Zorreguieta for this, as this woman worked at INTA (Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Agropecuaria, or 'National Agro-Technology Institute'), which was under the jurisdiction of his Secretary.

As said in the article, this lawsuit also origined an investigation in the Netherlands, by Michiel Baud. This research was also very detailed about the INTA's matters.

El rompecabezas de la memoria | LANACION.com

In the article, Prividiera says that even though there was a certain public and journalistic interest for the Zorreguieta issue at first, he knew that there was something beyond his own persona, wasn't particularly about him as a personal approach, but he was just more interesting to them because his daughter was the princess of the Netherlands.He adds that it is not about an personal issue against an individual in particular, but about making an insightin the social aspects, the civil responsibility in more abstract and wider terms. ("Aún cuando en un primer momento de la presentación hubo un cierto interés periodístico y público por el tema Zorreguieta, sabía que detrás de ese personaje había más, que no se trataba particularmente de él en términos personales, sólo que era el que más interesaba, porque su hija era la princesa de Holanda. No se trata de una cuestión personal contra alguien en particular, sino hacer una reflexión sobre lo social, la responsabilidad civil en términos mucho más difusos, más amplios.")

pd. This is merely news in which Jorge Zorreguieta is involved / mentioned ...please let's not start a debate again about his responsibility or lack thereof! Thanks :flowers:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Verde. I wonder if this documentairy will be aired here, I assume that as soon as some left television station will here about it they will by it (it is interesting on its own but the connection to Jorge Z. will assure acceptable ratings here).

Will Jorge Zorreguieta feature in the documentairy?

Well, the documentaire is going to make its debut in cinemas here... I will try to catch it at the movies and the tell you about it. As I haven't seen it yet, I can't tell whether Zorreguieta is mentioned or even part of it, but I don't think he'd accept being directly featured ... probably some old video footage will be included....but so far, based on what I've read, it is the author's own investigation through pictures, old videos, letters, and interviews with people that were related to his mother.

Zorreguieta was confirmed as the next president of the COPAL, as there are no other runner-ups for this position. It was decided yesterday night among the members, though no official statement has been made so far.

Padre de la princesa Máxima conducirá la COPAL - Infobae.com 

'La designación ya consensuada sorprende al mundillo empresario, ya que surgieron enseguida dudas sobre la relación que mantendrá con el gobierno de Néstor Kirchner, que rechaza a personajes que integraron los gobiernos de facto entre 1976 y 1983.'

As Marengo asked previously, it seems that both surprise & doubt exist in the local business world over his designation and his future relationship with the current government, due to the fact that President Kirchner rejects former military regime members.

This week's Veintitrés magazine has Mr. Jorge Zorreguieta in the upper part of the cover, and also features a 4-page article on him inside.

revista veintitres

(the cover is not yet updated in the site, maybe during the day)

The title in the cover is "Máxima impunidad para Zorreguieta - El padre de la princesa de Holanda, responsable de desapariciones, será jefe de la cámara empresaria más poderosa de la Argentina" ('Maximum impunity for Zorreguieta' - The father of the princess of the Netherlands, responsible for dissapearances, will be the head of the most powerful business chamber of Argentina')

Veintitrés is very critical towards Zorreguieta's (which is understandable, since it has a strong left-wing tendency) new position at the COPAL. 2 or 3 photo's of him and the princely couple are included.

Some of the most interesting highlights:

- An executive of the COPAL says 'we had to give the chamber some oxygen (...)He's a 80 year old man, we only want him for two years'

- Zorreguieta especially asked for his formal assumption of the position at the COPAL to be delayed, since he had royal engagements (Ariane's baptism, October 20th)

- He is now in Europe, until September 4th. That's why, according to the magazine, they couldn't get in touch with him (I doubt whether he would have talked to them anyway)

- The members of the COPAL, when they knew about the debut of the film [the documentaire M], revealed some annoyance. An interview to the director of the film is included in the extensive article, which title is 'he was aware of the extermination plans'

So he will attend the celebration at Het Loo as well. i wonder if he will be included on the grouppicture. I believe for the past baptisms for example, the RF never released a picture with the Zorreguita´s.

What were the members of COPAL annoyed with? The documentairy/reporter of Zorreguietta´s role during the dictatorship?

So he will attend the celebration at Het Loo as well. i wonder if he will be included on the grouppicture. I believe for the past baptisms for example, the RF never released a picture with the Zorreguita´s.

What were the members of COPAL annoyed with? The documentairy/reporter of Zorreguietta´s role during the dictatorship?

Well, it is not precisely said that he is there because of WA's party, but I guess it's pretty obvious.

About the COPAL members' annoyance...mostly the unwanted bad press that this documentaire brings up again on Zorreguieta ... "right now", when he is about to become their president...

Back
Top Bottom