The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2016, 05:12 AM
Royal Highness

Funny because it's nothing new (from 2009).

Charles paid sister-in-law £400,000 to refurbish his holiday cottages | Daily Mail Online

It's not a secret (see from 28.00)

It's Richard Kay again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ery-years.html

Quote:
It would make sense not to use her so it can't be media fodder. Typical of Charles to do this.

It's nor suprising from you (imo of course).

Damn, i love August ...

Old 08-13-2016, 05:18 AM
Heir Apparent

People can connect when they see small children romping about their home though, and an emotional connection is easier when you can see the way the children react to their parents and sibling and their surroundings. I and others can still remember that video with Charles, Diana and young William and little Harry at KP.

As for the media unfairly attacking one brother while leaving the other alone, isn't that just what you are doing, Iluvbertie,with your remarks about Harry? Comparing one unfavourably against the other?

Old 08-13-2016, 05:30 AM
Serene Highness

Seriously I don't get the fuss with Charles employing the Duchess' sister, okay i can see why people may not approve in some ways, but we have known this for years so to bring it up now like its new its poor journalism.

I think the difference between the Queen employing her cousin and Charles employing Annabel is that the Queen's events tend to be private ones that she is paying for personally, Charles' is using Annabel for his company using what are technically company funds. I guess to some people its like letting your florist sister do flowers for your wedding (the Queen) or flowers or your office every day and charging your company (Charles).

That being said if Annabel does the job well and there have been no complaints over ten years then whats the fuss!!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It would make sense not to use her so it can't be media fodder. Typical of Charles to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Why? Why should he care? He's used Mrs Elliott before, I presume. he has a right to use anyone he likes provided they are respectable and do the job..So some idiot journalist wants to make a 2 para story of what is a complete nothing? She's his wife's sister, so given that, I cant see why he should not employ her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
People can connect when they see small children romping about their home though, and an emotional connection is easier when you can see the way the children react to their parents and sibling and their surroundings. I and others can still remember that video with Charles, Diana and young William and little Harry at KP.

As for the media unfairly attacking one brother while leaving the other alone, isn't that just what you are doing, Iluvbertie,with your remarks about Harry? Comparing one unfavourably against the other?
Why? Some people can connect. others just think Ok 2 small children ramping around.. like most children. Nothing special there.
I don't feel any emotional connection to William or his children because I might see them running about.. Mind you I don't feel any connection to WIllliam at all...
Old 08-13-2016, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

It is the Daily Hate Mail, people. Like every British citizen the Prince of Wales is free to choose how he wants to have his interiors. Storm in a cup of lukewarm tea.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Funny because it's nothing new (from 2009).

Charles paid sister-in-law £400,000 to refurbish his holiday cottages | Daily Mail Online

It's not a secret (see from 28.00)

It's Richard Kay again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ery-years.html

It's nor suprising from you (imo of course).

Damn, i love August ...

And of course not surprising from you

Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

What when the Prince of Wales pays his cousin Viscount Linley for the timberwork in one of his residences? Or is that verboten too?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
And of course not surprising from you

You're welcome ...
Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, the quiet month of August!

If the contract is for private work paid for by Charles personally - it's no ones business but his own whom he employs.

If it's a company and there are no rules dictating the contract must go out for tender prior to selection, again, up to him. In such a case, why look elsewhere when you already have a source with a good historical record behind them?
Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Yes, the quiet month of August!

If the contract is for private work paid for by Charles personally - it's no ones business but his own whom he employs.

If it's a company and there are no rules dictating the contract must go out for tender prior to selection, again, up to him. In such a case, why look elsewhere when you already have a source with a good historical record behind them?
Indeed and Her Most Glorious Brittannic Majesty does it too. She often hires her cousin Lady Elizabeth Anson (daughter of Hon. John Herbert Bowes-Lyon and of Hon. Fenella Hepburn-Stuart-Fforbes-Trefusis) as a party- and events organizer.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Seriously I don't get the fuss with Charles employing the Duchess' sister, okay i can see why people may not approve in some ways, but we have known this for years so to bring it up now like its new its poor journalism.

I think the difference between the Queen employing her cousin and Charles employing Annabel is that the Queen's events tend to be private ones that she is paying for personally, Charles' is using Annabel for his company using what are technically company funds. I guess to some people its like letting your florist sister do flowers for your wedding (the Queen) or flowers or your office every day and charging your company (Charles).

That being said if Annabel does the job well and there have been no complaints over ten years then whats the fuss!!
The Queen is using the money from her private income - the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles is using the money for his private income - the Duchy of Cornwall.

No difference really as both are using their private income for private purposes.

This is simply an exercise in Charles bashing and it happens all the time, particularly with some writers for papers like the DM.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Serene Highness

I'm not critizing Charles at all, but IMO there is a difference. Yes its Charles' money but its for the estate he holds in trust for future generations so in that way IMO its not unfair to have the potential conflict of interest pointed out. But I don't think its an issue personally.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I'm not critizing Charles at all, but IMO there is a difference. Yes its Charles' money but its for the estate he holds in trust for future generations so in that way IMO its not unfair to have the potential conflict of interest pointed out. But I don't think its an issue personally.
Charles doesn't hold the duchy in trust for future generations.

The duchy exists to provide private income to the heir apparent.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

He holds it in trust for future generations by he only get the income and there are restrictions on what he can sell. The duchy owns vacation properties that are rentals and that what Camilla's sister decorated. The duchy spent money now to make money later from the rentals.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I would have asked the same person again when I would have been very satisfied indeed with the results of earlier projects. Big deal, pfff...
Old 08-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

So Charles spending his private income to ensure that he and future generations of Dukes of Cornwall can continue to have a solid private income is to be condemned while the Queen spending her private income on not ensuring that the future monarchs have a solid private income is not.

It is still their private income and they have decided how to spend it.

Charles has basically invested his private income to increase his income (something many people do) while the Queen uses hers for private pleasure (something many people also do).

It is their PRIVATE income and so their to spend as they see fit.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Its not For the estate, its From the estate. He is the owner, and its income in simply in trust to protect it. What happens if George when POW was a drunk gambler who decided to sell off properties to feed his habit? There goes his income, and his kids. Charles instead is owner, meaning he has full control of profits to fund his life. But he isn't allowed to sell it, meaning the income continues for generations. Its like a trust fund that doesn't end.

Instead of spending it on lavish parties and vacations, along with supporting him, Camailla, Harry and the Cambridges, he is creating new business. He is increasing revenue for generations to come. Maybe he just should spend it on islands, horses and booze as long as he doesn't employ family.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Its not For the estate, its From the estate. He is the owner, and its income in simply in trust to protect it. What happens if George when POW was a drunk gambler who decided to sell off properties to feed his habit? There goes his income, and his kids. Charles instead is owner, meaning he has full control of profits to fund his life. But he isn't allowed to sell it, meaning the income continues for generations. Its like a trust fund that doesn't end.

Instead of spending it on lavish parties and vacations, along with supporting him, Camailla, Harry and the Cambridges, he is creating new business. He is increasing revenue for generations to come. Maybe he just should spend it on islands, horses and booze as long as he doesn't employ family.
The Duke of Cornwall is a very good "businessman" regarding the Duchy. He manages it so well, with record turnovers and profits. Maybe he is the most succesful Duke of Cornwall in that aspect. It is telling for the Daily Hate Mail that the whole, quite impressive entrepreneurship, is left by zooming into such futile detail. And it is dragging a very old cow out of the moat: the same story has been told again and again. And of course double standards aplenty. Royals spending money into the businesses of Lady Elizabeth Anson, Earl Snowdon, the late Earl Lichfield or Viscount Linley are -of course- "overlooked".
Old 09-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Nobility

Camilla joins Prince Charles and her son for dinner

http://dailym.ai/2c9jVYb
Old 09-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Camilla joins Prince Charles and her son for dinner

http://dailym.ai/2c9jVYb
Great to see "normal" family outings for them at regular London restaurants.

Tags
alice keppel, camilla, camilla's family, duchess of cornwall, sonia keppel