The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Camilla's brother dies in US after head injury

According to yahoo:
He went out to smoke a cigarette around 2:30 a.m. and fell backward as he tried to re-enter through a revolving door.
I wonder if he's had a few cocktails. 2:30 am seems a bit late to be out having a smoke...

Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I wonder if he's had a few cocktails. 2:30 am seems a bit late to be out having a smoke...
He was in a club with friends so he probably had at least one drink. He probably had been working hard on this fundraiser and was tired. I doubt he was planning to drive anywhere so he was not endangering anyone else. The Daily Mail article indicates he took medicine for high blood pressure, which can cause dizziness, and it is very possible that a man his age was on blood thinners.

It was probably a sad combination of factors. I know the Duchess and her sister are going through a terrible time, but my heart goes out to his young daughter and even his ex-wife, who probably stilled cared deeply for him.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

Sounds like he had a bit of trouble with the revolving door (hate those things). Poor man, who was trying to do so many good things for the world. Condolences, of course, to the greater family, but it is very sad news indeed.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
It seems Mr Shand was in very festive spirits after a quite succesfful fundraiser (1,5 million US Dollars for the endangered Indian elephants). So yes, some glasses of drink, I suppose.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

I read he went to a second bar in a NY hotel and collapsed near the bar before he went out for a smoke. Wish the straight facts could be written correctly.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Serene Highness

I find it strange how he fell. Maybe he had a few too many and lost his balance. This is so sad. I wonder if anyone found him right away or if it was some time before they did. Maybe if he was found right away he could have been saved.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I find it strange how he fell. Maybe he had a few too many and lost his balance. This is so sad. I wonder if anyone found him right away or if it was some time before they did. Maybe if he was found right away he could have been saved.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

Supposedly he wasn't alone and was found right away- but one story suggested the reason the fall was so bad is he fell backwards with his hands in his pockets and so had no way to break his fall.

Just a tragic accident
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Ah. Hands in pockets, not good. A young man in Chicago lost his life the same way about a year ago - standing on a low wall, just lost his balance.

If he had been drinking, of course, the effect of the blood thinners would go up. It's hard for most of us to realize that as we age, we need to be more careful. It really does point up that accidents like these can happen to anyone.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Royal Central @RoyalCentral ∑ 3h
The Duchess of Cornwall's brothers death has been ruled an accident.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral ∑ 3h
Mark Shand's autopsy revealed blunt head trauma with a skull fracture.

Videos:
Camilla's Brother In Revolving Door Death-
http://news.sky.com/story/1248540/ca...ing-door-death

Duchess of Cornwall 'devastated' at brother Mark Shand's death-
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27137322

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Nobility

According to an article by Richard Kay in the Daily Mail (yes, I know, not the best source), Shand had virtually given up drinking except for the occasional whisky.

A playboy and gossip but he never let his beloved sister down: Richard Kay on the Mark Shand he knew | Mail Online
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Courtier

He fell while re-entering the hotel. The video was shown to his nephews Tom PB & Ben Elliot when they went to pick up the body.

IIRC, he was taken to the hospital around 2:52 am. It was said he was with a relative.

I wonder if someone else was in the revolving door or if his foot got caught under the door and when he tried to dislodge his foot he fell.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Mark Shand: gent who walked on the wild side - London Life - Life & Style - London Evening Standard
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It seems Mr Shand was in very festive spirits after a quite succesfful fundraiser (1,5 million US Dollars for the endangered Indian elephants). So yes, some glasses of drink, I suppose.
Not that there is anything wrong ith it!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Courtier

This shows the place when he fell. There are steps.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge send heartfelt message to Camilla after the sudden death of her brother Mark Shand - UK - News - London Evening Standard

Mr Shand was said to be alert and complaining of head pain when the first medical responders reached him. But his condition quickly deteriorated and he was placed on life support as soon as he reached Manhattan’s nearby Bellevue Hospital.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

So shocked when I just now read the news about Mark Shand. He is now known as Camilla's brother but was quite a figure in his own right. He was not handsome in the strictest sense of the word, but he was always very popular with women. He was teen-aged Caroline Kennedy's first real boyfriend when she lived in London in the mid-70's as a student houseguest of Lord Hugh Fraser. In fact, she is said to have fallen deeply in love with Mark but he let her down gently because she was too young for him.

I feel terribly sad for the Duchess of Cornwall and her family. They are close, and what a shock this must be for them.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 AM
Serene Highness

It is interesting to read how well-connected the Shand-Cubitt family is. Of course the firm rooting in the military: Camilla herself was first married to a Brigadier, which is a one-star general. Her sister Annabel's father-in-law is Air Chief Marshal Sir William Elliot. Camilla's own father was a Major and twice decorated for bravery.

Then the aristocracy: Camilla's maternal grandparents were the 3rd Baron Ashcombe and the Hon. Sonia Keppel. Mark Shand seems closely befriended with prominent figures as Imran Khan, Richard Branson, Piers Morgan, Bianca Jagger even.

Did you know that Keppel is actually a place in the East of the Netherlands? The Keppel family are Dutch aristocrats. Once Arnold-Joost van Keppel, Lord of De Voorst and of Acquoy, went with William III of Nassau, Prince of Orange to the British isles. There William III made him Earl of Albemarle, Viscount Bury and Baron Ashford.

Picture of Keppel Castle in the East of the Netherlands (source contact.nl): http://www.contact.nl/scripts/edoris...&doc_id=496040

Picture of De Voorst House in the East of the Netherlands, build by Camilla's ancestor Arnold Joost van Keppel, Earl of Albemarle (source venue.nl):
http://www.venue.nl/images/presentat...0front.jpg.jpg
Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 AM
Courtier

Mark had 2 hip replacement surgeries. The most recent in 2011. He was still walking with a cane in 2013.

At the charity event, he was leaning against the table. It is possible that the surgery failed or he was experiencing problems with his hips/knees.

Duc et Pair, thank for the pictures of the Keppel homes.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Courtier

Camilla's son tweets 'massive thank you' for tributes to his 'late, great' uncle Mark Shand as friends say he had spoken of having 'one of the best evenings of his life' | Mail Online

Quote:
Tom Parker Bowles yesterday flew to New York with his cousin Ben Elliot to collect the 62-year-old's body ahead of his funeral.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Serene Highness

There is another house which got the present state in 1691, thanks to Arnold-Joost van Keppel, 1st Earl of Albemarle. This house was neighbouring De Voorst House (two posts ago) Šnd close to Het Loo Palace, the glorious residence of William III and Mary.

In 1959 the estate was sold to the Foundation Guelders Landscape, which aims to preserve monuments, historic estates and natural landscapes. That foundation has now rented it to the National Police, using it as a conference venue.

See picture (source: National Police): https://www.politieacademie.nl/overd...0t%20velde.JPG

Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Great paper by Tom Parker Bowles, who already wrote for the DM before :

The greatest uncle a boy could have: In an utterly heartwrenching and deeply personal homage, Camilla's son breaks his family's silence on the death of Mark Shand | Mail Online

Tags
alice keppel, camilla, camilla's family, duchess of cornwall, sonia keppel