The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see what Carole Middleton actually says in the Telegraph link.

For the record, here are all of the quotes...

"You see, I feel very vulnerable about everything, I'm not a celebrity and don't want to be one. Celebrities have minders and PR people. I don't want a PR person and wouldn't want to have to pay to employ one. I haven't asked for all this."

"I'm concerned about my business; that's my focus, I don't want the attention to detract from that. I'm also worried for my family: I have three children – not just Catherine."

"James is very good with it all, he writes articles and has business projects which he wants to talk about, but then it's difficult when everything else is going on around him and people don't just want to know about his projects."

. . . . . . . . . .

There you have it.
Hardly earth-shattering, or indiscreet, or particularly revealing for that matter.

I can't see anything wrong in these quotes, irrespective of whether they were knowingly or unknowingly made to a journalist. They are hardly the words of a social climber.... more concerned mother / entrepreneur to me.

This incident with the journalist happened so long ago (8 years)..
Yes and when Kate has been married for a number of years, will her alleged indiscretions suddenly not have happened or will she have 'proved' herself?:ermm:

I find it hypocritical to suggest Sophie is now an absolute angel, when she was seen and heard, but condemn a young woman who has not put a foot wrong, IMO, since becoming involved with William.

Perfectly true every word, but when the indiscretions of another person close to the royal family are mentioned we are told to move on it happened a long time ago.
I agree so far Kate doesn´t seem to have put a foot wrong. In fact she
doesn´t seem to have done anything at all really. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have to bear in mind that William isn't going to marry Carol. All that really matters is whether William (and Charles) approves of Kate.

and the Queen, who has to give her consent (unless William wishes to go via Parliament and make it known that he wants to marry a woman his grandmother doesn't think is good enough).

I find it hypocritical to suggest Sophie is now an absolute angel, when she was seen and heard, but condemn a young woman who has not put a foot wrong, IMO, since becoming involved with William.
Nobody said Sophie is an absolute angel (although I'm sure she's a nice person) only that she's been discreet and classy since then. And it is off-topic as this thread is about Kate's Family not William's. I didn't condemn Kate (didn't even mention her).

Let's get back on topic.

This subject of this thread is Kate Middleton and her Family.

Thank you.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I think if the Queen disapproved of Kate she would have made her feelings known by now. :)
I still don't understand when does William not need to Queens approval to marry? People say 25? But then some people see he always needs it? :ermm:

:previous:

According to the Royal Marriage Act of 1772, all members of the Royal Family must gain the Monarch’s consent for their marriage. Any marriage contracted without the consent is null and void.
However, any Royal over the age of 25 may marry without the Monarch’s permission after one year’s notice to the Privy Council. If during the period of one year neither Houses of the Parliament declare their disapproval, than the marriage without the Monarch’s permission will be legal.
Anyone under 25 cannot marry without the Monarch’s permission and cannot recourse to Parliament.

Or, to put it simpler:

If the Royal is under 25 and is given the Monarch’s permission, he/she is free to marry.
If the Royal is under 25 but was not given the Monarch’s permission, he/she cannot marry.
If the Royal is over 25 and is given the Monarch’s permission, he/she is free to marry.
If the Royal is over 25 but was denied the Monarch’s permission, he/she can marry after 1 year’s notice to the Privy Council.
If the Royal is over 25, was denied the Monarch’s permission and that of the Privy Council and/or either Houses of the Parliament, the marriage will be void and null.

Last edited:
How do you not get either the councils or the queens permission? what makes them not give it to you? and does the same rule apply for every royal house/ does it also apply to Lux, Monaco and Lichenstein (sp) who have princes and grand dukes

:previous:

If the Royal in questions chooses to marry someone the Queen and/or Government strongly disapprove of, they are free not to grant permission for the marriage. Moreover, if the Queen chooses not to give permission, I doubt the Privy Council would choose to 'override' her decision.
In practice, I doubt the Queen or Privy Council would object to any candidate unless he/she is a mass murderer, war criminal, lap dancer or someone with equally disturbing past.

These rules are specific to the House of Windsor and were determined by the 1772 Royal Marriage Act: other Royal Houses have their own laws. The consent of the Sovereign is usually necessary though.

Remember in the 1950s the Queen was reportedly prepared to say 'no' to her sister's request to marry a divorced man (not that that excuse would carry any weight today).

The Queen doesn't have to have a reason by the way. She just has to disapprove of the person, however, in reality she would probably not refuse to give her consent unless there was a major reason for her to say 'no'.

Thanks Iluvbertie and Marsel. All these rules the royals have to follow... So many!

Does Kate only have a sister or does she have other siblings as well? Where do she and her family live? I heard she lives with her family now. Is that true?

She has a brother (James). She grew up near Reading, but I'm not sure if that's where they currently live or not.

AnnaSophia said:
Does Kate only have a sister or does she have other siblings as well? Where do she and her family live? I heard she lives with her family now. Is that true?

Kate has a younger sister, Pippa and a younger brother, James. Pippa works as a party organizer and James has opened his own business.
The Middletons have at least 2 flats in London (including one in Chelsea, which Kate shared with Pippa for some time) but their family house is in Bucklebury, Berkshire. Kate has grown up in Bucklebury in a smaller (4 bedroom) house, but once her parents made their fortune, they moved into a larger place: they now own a beautiful and rather extensive estate (in the same old Bucklebury).

Kate’s family owns the Party Pieces business: her parents (Carole and Michael Middleton) started it and made it a successful venture.
Kate herself now works for the Party Pieces and yes, she does live with her parents (and given just how much Kate was hounded when she lived in their Chelsea flat, she can hardly be blamed for that)

Last edited:
I'm sure if you read back through this thread you will find the answers to your questions as the family has been discussed extensively.

So she didn't take the pictures on her family website? Some proffesional did?
What is the point to that article, to tell us that she has missed another chance to become a photographer? :ermm:

Kate is a very lovely young lady she is going to make an excellent wife. A wonderful Daughter in law. And a very loving mother in the not so distant future. She also has lovely green eyes.

What does that have to do with Kate's family, wealth or background? I'm confused.

The problem is that kate not only has to be a wife but also a queen :rolleyes:

She'll be wife, mother and queen.

She just may well be... I cannot fathom being all those roles.

She MIGHT be, Queen.
She maybe a wife and a mother, but not neccesarily to William or his children.

Plus this has nothing to do with her family, wealth and background.

It seems that the Middletons are not placed so very differently from the Shands (Camilla's family) in being long-established in the moneyed middle class. The Shands had perhaps traveled further afield and made more of a name for themselves, but the main difference is that Camilla's father married up while Kate's married down. From a royal watcher's perspective, I wish that Prince William looked set to marry a girl whose background had more luster BUT I also think he should marry the girl he loves.

Who cares if kate is rich or not. William loves her dearley.And he has plenty of money.
And i would not knock the duchess of glouchester. She is a tireless worker and a very nice lady!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom