The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 7: March 2012 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the coat Kate is wearing; it compliments her figure and makes her look very feminine. For once, I also really like the hairstyle; it is of course the same as usual, however, I do find it very beautiful the way her hair just cascades down. The hat is not my cup of tea, but the matching shoes give an overall complete look.

My preference would have been a somewhat brighter green honouring St. Patrick's Day (just how gorgeous would Kate look in emerald green, for instance); this look is a bit too safe but still very attractive.

I agree with you assessment of her attire. I love the coat, and her hairstyle, but not the hat. And I was really hoping for an emerald green on her today too. She would have looked gorgeous.

I cannot tell you how glad I am that she didn't wear the tired old cliche emerald green today. That would just have been so naff.

I always enjoy the comments of the girls over at gofugyourself.com. They snark all celebrities / public individuals' outfits. They often refer to Kate as 'The Artist Formerly Known as Kate Middleton'. Here's the link to their thoughts on Thursday's outfits, along with a look at Sophie's 'hat':

Well Played, Kate “Duchess of Cambridge” Middleton, plus Nice Hat, Sophie of Wessex - Go Fug Yourself: Because Fugly Is The New Pretty

I love the coat Kate is wearing; it compliments her figure and makes her look very feminine. For once, I also really like the hairstyle; it is of course the same as usual, however, I do find it very beautiful the way her hair just cascades down. The hat is not my cup of tea, but the matching shoes give an overall complete look.

My preference would have been a somewhat brighter green honouring St. Patrick's Day (just how gorgeous would Kate look in emerald green, for instance); this look is a bit too safe but still very attractive.

Agree with what you say. I really liked the simplicity of this ensemble - especially the chocolate-colored hat and shoes. It all looks 'neat' - as well as warm on a possibly chilly day - was it? was the wind cold? I agree about the hair - though it can get messy fast.

However, where is my mind? That's one sharp looking guy in the background of this picture. :D The hat

Last edited:
She looks older than her age in that color. I think the idea behind the coat dress is not bad but the color is quite dull. The combo of coat color & hat color is nice.

She tends to dress in dull colors which ages her somewhat, imo. I do like the style of the coat dress as it is very feminine and flirty. Not a fan of the hat, however.

The coat.... OK:ermm: Emerald green would have been better....
Don't like the hat.
Not her best look overall.

EIIR said:
.... I can't believe people find Kate's hair boring. That hair is healthy, luxuriant and so shiny. Sometimes it's more wavy than others, sometimes she keeps it running down her back, other times she allows it to frame her face. It's also become something of a trademark for her. I know if I were to go and see her and she had it pinned up in some nondescript chignon I'd be really disappointed.

As someone who has had long hair most of her life,I empathize with everyone telling Kate to change it up. Ive dealt with that myself, and usually it is the people with short hair who are constantly telling me to wear it differently. I feel they live vicariously through my hair. I have options each morning, where theirs are limited. However,I can only speak for me.... But I wear my hair the way I think my hair looks best and the way I like it,and the way the man in my life likes it. While occasionally I may wear it back with clips, barrette or combs...90% of the time it is down long and curled, because that is how I like it. On dress up occasions, I've toyed with wearing it up,but it is so far out of my comfort zone,I just feel awkward and not as if I'm looking my best. What Kate has to do at these appearances is a confidence game, I'm not sure I could do it any differently. Just offering another perspective.

That's a gorgeous green on her! She looks nice!

I like the soft green colour and the fuller skirt of the coat dress flatters her figure and gives her shape. But what is with the slightly high waistline again?

https://twitter.com/#!/MajestyMagazine/status/181001258126155777/photo/1

I loathe the colour of the hat, and the shape for that matter. It segues effortlessly into the colour of her hair and the unrelieved density of the colour washes her out. Not one of her successes I'm afraid.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04Kt5lEaZC3x0/x610.jpg

Question: Does anyone else find that the endless costing of each item of clothing she wears is more than a little off-putting? IMO that, along with reports of items she has worn flying off the shelves, seems to devalue her position and relegates her to nothing but a high priced super-model at best or a High Street mannequin at worst.

These days there seems to be as much written about who she is and what she is doing as their is about her effect on the "bottom line", which is treating her as a commodity. Is there now an expectation that she will promote the High Street? And, as a consequence, are fashion labels that she is not wearing going to cry "foul"? Are they entitled to? :ermm:

I don t like coat dresses...she keeps mantainning this british look in her way of dressing, Very british indeed.

... [snipped]
Question: Does anyone else find that the endless costing of each item of clothing she wears is more than a little off-putting? IMO that, along with reports of items she has worn flying off the shelves, seems to devalue her position and relegates her to nothing but a high priced super-model at best or a High Street mannequin at worst.

These days there seems to be as much written about who she is and what she is doing as their is about her effect on the "bottom line", which is treating her as a commodity. Is there now an expectation that she will promote the High Street? And, as a consequence, are fashion labels that she is not wearing going to cry "foul"? Are they entitled to? :ermm:
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, is a High Street or budget mannequin depending on clothes she wears at the present moment. The British royal family and some brands take advantage of people's interest in a newly minted royal. It is rather amusing to see sheeple cleaning shelves.

^^^^^
She could do a lot worse than promoting the High Street. High Streets across the UK need help and if her shopping there encourages others then I am all for it. Much better than constantly wearing designer couture, even more so given the current economy.

I liked today's outfit. I was glad to see that the skirt was a bit longer than the grey dress she wore to Dulwich the other day. I thought the grey could have been just a tad longer given the fullness of the skirt. I remember reading something by a style expert that said the fuller the skirt the longer the length should be. A full skirt should ideally be just below the knee or mid calf while a narrow skirt could be from the middle of the knee to just above the knee depending on the age of the wearer and the occaission.

I liked today's outfit as well. The length was perfect given that there's always a famous "sitting down" photo taken of this event. The hem of the dress was uneven, but that might have something to do with the way the belt seemed to be sneaking up in front. Still, I love the style of the dress and, as the old song goes, "The Way You Wear Your Hat." I liked that she wore it on an angle and not smack on top of her head. Very nice. :flowers:

(..)

However, I do admit, that in that grey dress yesterday with Charles and Camilla she looked chestier than I had even seen her and it did give me pause,

Last edited by a moderator:
...(I think the moderatotrs must be having a Saturday night out at the movies :p ) ...

Double-pay Sunday ;)

And on that note, the posts relating to speculation on a possible Cambridge pregnancy have been removed. As usual practice, TRF policy states that speculation on pregnancies/etc is not allowed. Let's all wait for an official announcement first.

JessRulz
RHoF Moderator

Last edited:
:previous: You are quite right, not a panda eye in sight! Phew! At last her face is starting to look fresh and young. Heavy eye makeup always ages the wearer and to be honest, I was so fixated on the way her brown hair segued effortlessly into the brown hat that I missed it! :lol:

Well spotted BoB, everyone else seems to have missed it as well. :flowers:

Thank you, Marg, I thought Kate looked fresher and younger myself. Here's another series of closeups that show how nice that makeup now looks:

MYROYALS

Last edited:
It looks like Kate left off the bottom eyeliner or she had a lighter hand with it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jmPqJwEnn.../s1600/duchess-kate-saint-patricks-day-06.jpg

Yeah! No eye-liner! :clap:
So they weren't tattooed on, thank goodness!
She still wears a bit of eye-shadow underneath, but very well blended in. Definitely a better look than the usual panda eyes she's so fond of. Now, if she could soften the upper eyeliner as well, or ditch it in favour of softer eye-shadow line, it would be just fantastic. And if it were possible to go just a bit lighter with the blusher...

Last edited:
Baby steps, baby steps......:lol: I guess we can't expect her to do a 180 turnaround immediately!

Last edited:
She's been much, much lighter with the eye liner for the last several months. I can't believe people are only noticing it now. The heavy eye makeup is standard for young women in the UK.

What we all have to remember is that unlike Mary, Maxima, Letizia etc. Kate is doing her own make up, she's not got any stylists or dressers on hand to transform her into a model every day. Given the austerity we're all suffering at the moment, I admire her determination to do all these things herself, which keeps costs down. I think she's doing really well all told.

MichelleQ2 said:
As someone who has had long hair most of her life,I empathize with everyone telling Kate to change it up. Ive dealt with that myself, and usually it is the people with short hair who are constantly telling me to wear it differently. I feel they live vicariously through my hair. I have options each morning, where theirs are limited. However,I can only speak for me.... But I wear my hair the way I think my hair looks best and the way I like it,and the way the man in my life likes it. While occasionally I may wear it back with clips, barrette or combs...90% of the time it is down long and curled, because that is how I like it. On dress up occasions, I've toyed with wearing it up,but it is so far out of my comfort zone,I just feel awkward and not as if I'm looking my best. What Kate has to do at these appearances is a confidence game, I'm not sure I could do it any differently. Just offering another perspective.

I totally agree. I too has long hair and have never wear it up in front of my friends for the past 20 years. I only bun it up when I am at home - I do not like the 'emptiness' around my neck when I am outside of my house. If I want to bun it up constantly, I will just cut my hair short, why bother with keeping long hair??

She's been much, much lighter with the eye liner for the last several months. I can't believe people are only noticing it now. The heavy eye makeup is standard for young women in the UK.

She certainly didn't seem to wear lighter makeup just days earlier, on March 15 event.
Heavy eye makeup may be the standard for young women in the UK, but that doesn't mean we should all like it. This is a fashion thread, after all; we're bound to like or loath what Kate wears from time to time, be it cloths or makeup.

This has got to be the most redundant tread on the TRF. Rinse, wash and repeat

It looks like Kate left off the bottom eyeliner or she had a lighter hand with it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jmPqJwEnn.../s1600/duchess-kate-saint-patricks-day-06.jpg

Thank you, Marg, I thought Kate looked fresher and younger myself. Here's another series of closeups that show how nice that makeup now looks:

MYROYALS

I caught that - but wasn't sure - was going to wait for another outing to be sure. It opens up her eyes. She's still heavily vested in dark eye make-up, though.

The heavy eye makeup is standard for young women in the UK.

Oh - surprising. I wonder why - is it a Goth thing? That's what it reminds me of.

I admire her determination to do all these things herself, which keeps costs down. I think she's doing really well all told.

Unfortunately she has a waxy, doll-like appearance - very unnatural. If she could soften things up she would look tons better.

Yeah! No eye-liner! :clap:
So they weren't tattooed on, thank goodness!
She still wears a bit of eye-shadow underneath, but very well blended in. Definitely a better look than the usual panda eyes she's so fond of. Now, if she could soften the upper eyeliner as well, or ditch it in favour of softer eye-shadow line, it would be just fantastic. And if it were possible to go just a bit lighter with the blusher...

Agree about the tattoo - Whew!

Kate needs to break down and get some professional input - or even hire someone to work on her. Its one thing to be self-reliant and thrifty - but her 'work' entails public appearances - she should get professional advice. Hire a good make-up artist for film stars - or surely there is someone like Sophie with good contacts. She needs to move away from the 'doll-like' appearance her current make-up conjures up.

Last edited:
she has been attacked for a lot of things; however I see this as petty & a wasted opportunity to give this young woman a shout out for all she has weathered.

:previous: This is a fashion thread - there is no 'attacking' happening here. :sad: Everyone has their ideas on what looks good, what doesn't. Its a place to give one's opinion on fashion.

She certainly didn't seem to wear lighter makeup just days earlier, on March 15 event.
Heavy eye makeup may be the standard for young women in the UK, but that doesn't mean we should all like it. This is a fashion thread, after all; we're bound to like or loath what Kate wears from time to time, be it cloths or makeup.

For the first several months after the wedding Kate was using a liquid eyeliner on her lower lid as well as the top. Over the last few months she has stopped doing so, which has softened her eyes considerably.

I didn't say you had to like heavy eye makeup. All I said was it is completely normal in the UK; in fact women of Kate's and my generation wouldn't consider Kate's eye makeup to be 'heavy' at all.

:previous: This is a fashion thread - there is no 'attacking' happening here. :sad: Everyone has their ideas on what looks good, what doesn't. Its a place to give one's opinion on fashion.

I think saying someone looks 'waxy' and 'doll-like' is not far off. If you don't think there's been any attacking here then I can only assume you haven't spent much time on this thread. Kate's been compared to a clown, a panda, she's been called trashy, vulgar, cheap and ridiculous. That's before we get to the posters who believe that it's Kate's fault that photographers try to take pictures up her skirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom