The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:Thanks for jogging my memory; the hat looks almost like the style of that era a lady would wear with a riding habit, although with a long veil and without that stylized bow.

I like that comparison. I was wondering why the hat looked so familiar. I've seen that type of look in various period dramas.

I think you nailed it about the eyeliner; unfortunately all that black did accentuate the heavy application and it was very noticeable and severe this time. I, too, liked the hat, though.
I'm beginning to wonder if she's had an eyeliner tatoo. It seems very heavy and it is always present.

^^^I really, really hope not, otherwise Kate is forever committed to a certain look that she can never change.

Last edited:
:previous: even if her eyeliner is a tattoo, it would need to be freshened up every 6 - 12 months to be effective .... so there is hope she could still grow out of the phase ;)

Well, if it's a tattooed eyeliner, let's hope she changes her mind before she needs to get it reapplied!:eek:

I agree everyone. Let's hope if she did experiment with a tattoo that this is a one time experiment. ;)

:previous:Thanks for jogging my memory; the hat looks almost like the style of that era a lady would wear with a riding habit, although with a long veil and without that stylized bow.
. Thats a really really good thought, it certaintly has an historical feel to it (ok without the bow) and as I think Beatrixfan wrote in the thread on rememberane day 2003-2011 Catherine reminded her of a young Queen Alexandra, I keep imaging the photos in black and whie and can really see it. The fur trim on the collor reminds me of a textured collar that Queen Mary would wear, it has that kind of feel to it.

I don't like the hat but I also don't think an updo would have worked. It would have made her look like she was riding a horse like the Baroness of Books said. I will also give her some points as at least she did not wear the hat to a wedding prior to attending the event.

I also agree that the Sandhurst hat from William's passing out parade would have looked great with the coat which I did like.

Please indulge me, mods, but in a fit of fancy, I'm posting this picture of what a similar hat and even the coat would look like as a riding habit. Just replace Kate's bow with either a plume or veil, put her hair up and you might have this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld76s7Kve41qa8pt0o1_500.jpg

And don't forget the horse and riding crop!

Last edited:
Don't like Kate's hat; Sophie's is the best.

I'm beginning to wonder if she's had an eyeliner tatoo. It seems very heavy and it is always present.

It's not tattooed on. There have been pictures, recent pictures from after the wedding, where she had no make-up on. It's just heavy eyeliner. It seems always present because we usually only see her when she is at an event or something special lol.

On another note: The hat actually grew on me. It's youth and fun and somber enough to fit the occasion. I like it. It's very cute and stylish.

Where are the photos of her without makeup I would love to see them

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I will be honest, for me it depends on the event and outfit. Sometimes I agree that her makeup is a little heavy and sometimes it doesn't bother me as much. I don't think it ages her so much as doesn't always enhance her features as best it could. For me, she just wears some very thick eyeliner lol. Looking back at some pictures from a few years ago, she didn't always wear her makeup quite so thick, but yes she does need to tone it down some, but I'm sure with time she will get around to that. Maybe the more prominent she and William become, stylists and such will advice her on her makeup choices, but it doesnt bother me too much usually so.....

Could anyone tell me if there a certain area of England or class (hate that word but can't think how else to say it) that wear makeup in that way. I'm just wondering where her "look " comes from. I know her mother and sister do the same but it's not something I've noticed in say magazines etc.

I'm 26 and live in the UK, although not in England, so I'm pretty much in the same age group as Kate and her sister. I would say that the trend among people our age has become more and more towards very dark, smoky eyes with the rim of the eyes very well defined. This is why Kate's make up is so unremarkable to me, I see it on friends and colleagues on a daily basis.

There is no 'class' issue here, I feel it is generic among a certain generation.

Could anyone tell me if there a certain area of England or class (hate that word but can't think how else to say it) that wear makeup in that way. I'm just wondering where her "look " comes from. I know her mother and sister do the same but it's not something I've noticed in say magazines etc.

That kind of eye make up is very fashionable or is supposedly fashionable these days and you see it on a lot of women and girls going out on nights out or university bar crawls/student nights. Particularly in the larger cities such as York, London, Newcastle and Manchester. To me, they just look like they have black eyes. :lol:

Lumutqueen said:
That kind of eye make up is very fashionable or is supposedly fashionable these days and you see it on a lot of women and girls going out on nights out or university bar crawls/student nights. Particularly in the larger cities such as York, London, Newcastle and Manchester. To me, they just look like they have black eyes. :lol:

I see smoky eyes more smudged than heavy But I agree with you they do look like a pair of black eyes. Let's hope the fashion moves on quickly
Thanks everyone for replies

I'm 26 and live in the UK, although not in England, so I'm pretty much in the same age group as Kate and her sister. I would say that the trend among people our age has become more and more towards very dark, smoky eyes with the rim of the eyes very well defined. This is why Kate's make up is so unremarkable to me, I see it on friends and colleagues on a daily basis.

There is no 'class' issue here, I feel it is generic among a certain generation.

Thank you for sharing. You're from the same generation so you''ll be in tune with what is "in" for your age group. :)

ok i also would like it if kate and sophie would have switch hats..jmo

I have been wondering why the Duchess of Cambridge has never worn any Victoria Beckham dresses. The media has indicated that the Beckham's and the Duke and Duchess are friends. I fully expected that she would wear a Victoria Beckham design during their time in California, but she didn't. Just wondering.

I have been wondering why the Duchess of Cambridge has never worn any Victoria Beckham dresses. The media has indicated that the Beckham's and the Duke and Duchess are friends. I fully expected that she would wear a Victoria Beckham design during their time in California, but she didn't. Just wondering.

Probably for that reason :) She most likely doesn't want to look as if she's promoting a friend's business or "playing favorites".

Maybe the outfits she has from Victoria have not called for the right event yet.

Probably for that reason :) She most likely doesn't want to look as if she's promoting a friend's business or "playing favorites".

I don't think that would be the case since Kate tends to wear different designers and not stick to just one.

I love Victoria Beckham, her style and most of her fashion creations. If I was Kate I would be wearing her clothes, but thats only because Vic is my fashion mentor.
Kate's eyeliner hardly bothers me, but during the Remembrance Day celebration it was more the amount of blush and foundation that bothered me.

Kate shopping today in London. Thanks to lancchick from the DofCam current events thread:

Kate Middleton Shopping at Zara Pictures

Kate looks very refreshingly casual today. She's wearing her standard black boots and a handbag I've seen before, I think for her departure for Canada, that I've always liked. The skirt is cute, but reminds me a lot of my Catholic schoolgirl days when we used to roll our pleated skirts up waaaay past our knees.:D And is it me, or are the boots too gappy around the calf? I think they'd look better with jeans tucked in them. It also doesn't make sense to cover up with that heavy turtleneck if she's leaving her bare legs exposed; I know I'd be feeling the chill.

Last edited:
Kate shopping today in London. Thanks to lancchick from the DofCam current events thread:

Kate Middleton Shopping at Zara Pictures

She looks beautiful! So happy and casual, but in an elegant way. And the shot of her engagement ring is particularly nice.

I don't think that would be the case since Kate tends to wear different designers and not stick to just one.

I seem to remember an article from during the engagement that said that Victoria had sent Kate a bunch of dresses, but Kate sent them back because she's been advised not to take free/deeply discounted clothes.

Did I make that up in my head, or does anyone else remember reading that?

Granted, we don't know if it's true or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I remember Sarah Ferguson getting criticized for taking free gifts from people. I know some of them were trips and plane tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom