The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Aristocracy

We really are not supposed to comment on weight issues here. As has been noted before, such remarks tend to devolve into argumentative exchanges. Let's try to stick to fashion, shall we?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Lets get back on topic , further Princess Diana posts & weight issues will be deleted without notice.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Majesty

It looks like Catherine may be well advised to eschew some of her much loved "High Street" designers.

Kate's dazzling dress is made in Romanian 'sweatshop' by women on just 99p an hour | Mail Online

It's not going to be much fun if every time she debuts a new outfit it is traced back to some poor women, or worse children, earning pennies. Unfortunately for Catherine this will probably mean she will have to move up-market and out of her current comfort zone to couture.

William and Catherine can afford it even with the initial large outlay for a starter basic royal "foreign visit" wardrobe.

I for one will not be moaning if there is no false economy and no more poverty trails involved.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Aristocracy

I personally cant believe she is supporting sweat shops.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Who says she is knowingly sporting sweat shops.

Unfortunately, a lot of us purchase clothes at discounted prices and have no way of knowing who is making the clothes as well as the conditions (i.e. wages, working conditions, benefits, etc.) that the workers deal with.

But I agree with MARG, something like this might lead to Catherine purchasing more expensive clothes. Not that I didn't think that was going to be the case anyway.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Majesty

I don't know about you bethaliz, but I don't ask the shop assistant where the material for my dress is sourced, who made it, who designed it and who sewed it up and, oh, how much they paid them and how much is pure profit.

I very much doubt the thought even entered her head, why should it. When you are buying a dress it is not the first thing the springs to mind and if it were not for the fact that Catherine, now Duchess of Cambridge, wore this dress we would all still be shopping in blissful ignorance.

I suppose this is just one of the first 'loss of innocence' incidents that will litter her life from here on out.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Even high fashion designers clothing used sweatshops, so buying more expensive clothes would not necessarily fix the problems.

Quote:
Designer labels' sweatshop scandal

By Adam Lee-Potter, sundaymirror.co.uk 2/12/2007

Chinese worker (Steve Bainbridge)

EXCLUSIVE GUCCI DOLCE & GABBANA PRADA ..by Chinese workers in sweatshops on £2 an hour
Designer labels' sweatshop scandal - mirror.co.uk
Old 05-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Even high fashion designers clothing used sweatshops, so buying more expensive clothes would not necessarily fix the problems.
That's what I was thinking, too.

Who can say where our clothing comes from? Most people have no idea. The sweat shops have been around for centuries and aren't going anywhere!

Right now, Catherine is being sent all sorts of garments, in the hope that she'll wear something and it will spark huge sales!

It would be a full-time job for her to track down the origin of every item.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It looks like Catherine may be well advised to eschew some of her much loved "High Street" designers.

Kate's dazzling dress is made in Romanian 'sweatshop' by women on just 99p an hour | Mail Online
Wow, this is unbelievably unfair. Yes, most of the clothes people in the Western world wear every day and most of the objects they use every day are made in sweatshops somewhere. Why single out the Duchess of Cambridge's dress?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Majesty

Why? Because she is who she is. Like it or not, deserved or not, she has become a fashion "icon" (how I hate that word) and a fashion nexus. What she wears everyone else wants to wear and she has to consider the ramifications of that knowledge coupled with the new knowledge that some of her beloved labels are not "Fair Trade".

Life is not fair and, to be honest, we should all be thanking God that it is not. Just imagine if you really deserved all the horrible things that happened in your life. Catherine is merely required to scratch a few labels from her wish list.

However, should she already have them in her wardrobe pre-wedding she will get a pass, if they are this season's collection she will not.

Such is life!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Commoner

I feel bad for her. One day they are waving the flag about how brilliant she is for shopping at normal stores and the next putting her down because the dress was made by someone making 99p/hour.

The unfortunate truth is that all clothing available at high street shops is likely made in conditions similar to those at the factory in Romania. Until we are all ready to give up fast fashion, pay more and own fewer garments this will continue to be the case.

As for Catherine, she is lucky enough to be in the position where she can afford to have things made for her. Not something most of us can do, that's for sure.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Why? Because she is who she is. Like it or not, deserved or not, she has become a fashion "icon" (how I hate that word) and a fashion nexus. What she wears everyone else wants to wear and she has to consider the ramifications of that knowledge coupled with the new knowledge that some of her beloved labels are not "Fair Trade".

Life is not fair and, to be honest, we should all be thanking God that it is not. Just imagine if you really deserved all the horrible things that happened in your life. Catherine is merely required to scratch a few labels from her wish list.

However, should she already have them in her wardrobe pre-wedding she will get a pass, if they are this season's collection she will not.

Such is life!
Non of the other CPss get's bad press for wearing labels no matter where they produce...
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^ None do but someone has to at one point and it looks it's going to Catherine. Poor girl- damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. Hopefully the papers won't make such a big deal of where her outfits are coming from in the future. But anything to sell a paper
Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Serene Highness

The (female) author has written quiet a few catty articles about Catherine, sometimes with a second author...
Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Catherine is merely required to scratch a few labels from her wish list.

Such is life!
By whom is she "required" to do this? And who has the authority to "give her a pass"?
It's not just "a few labels" of clothing who are using sweatshops. Most of the objects people in the western world use every day are made by underpaid workers in a poorer country. I agree that it's unfair, but the ones who should work on changing this are politicians, not royals who shouldn't be involved in politics.

I don't believe for a moment that this writer was concerned about underpaid Romanian workers. I think she was just desperate to find something nagative about Catherine.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

The choices Catherine has are as follows (feel free to add!): -

1) Have her clothes made "in-house" using ethically sourced materials
2) Start wearing fairtrade clothes, which presently do not offer the choices and kinds of outfits she will be required and/or expected to wear in a person of her position
3) Where expensive, designer haute couture items that cost a fortune and will render her a clothes-horse with people accusing her of spending too much money
4) Go naked
5) Wear whatever she damn well likes and accept that if the media were really worried about how much people are paid to make the clothes we all wear, the media would have done something about it long ago.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Majesty

I like the last suggestion the best. Heck, it's what I would do if I were in her position.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch
The choices Catherine has are as follows (feel free to add!): -

1) Have her clothes made "in-house" using ethically sourced materials
2) Start wearing fairtrade clothes, which presently do not offer the choices and kinds of outfits she will be required and/or expected to wear in a person of her position
3) Where expensive, designer haute couture items that cost a fortune and will render her a clothes-horse with people accusing her of spending too much money
4) Go naked
5) Wear whatever she damn well likes and accept that if the media were really worried about how much people are paid to make the clothes we all wear, the media would have done something about it long ago.
Agree number 5 best- but 4 certainly would sell some papers and cause a stir !
Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Agree number 5 best- but 4 certainly would sell some papers and cause a stir !
Not only that, but I don't think her husband would be too keen on that particular option (well, at least not in public ).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Royal Highness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...an-label-.html

Closed Thread