The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
She is lovely but why she is not using the "privilege du blanc"? She is a Queen and she is Catholic, she can wear white.
Technically I think that she could if extended the privilege by the Pope. I think that out of respect for the Netherlands, which is not a Catholic nation, she chose to wear black which in my opinion was a good choice. On the same sort of note, this is how someone wears black to meet the Pope! This look is flawless from head to toe, even the mantilla is beautiful.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Administrator

The Privilege du blanc is also explained at this thread:

** Royals Visiting The Pope **

Outfit number 2 today, June 22 - a nice new dress with the colours of the Dutch flag

** Full view ** Full view ** Upper part **

Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Majesty

The King and Queen were not in gala with Orders et al, but it works both ways: the Pope did not dress up wearing choir dress and mozzeta for receiving State Visits as was the use for his predecessors. I was already expecting this: knowing this Pope, the dress code would be simple.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Because she is not a queen who has been granted that privilege by the Vatican. Just because you are catholic and a queen doesn't mean you automatically get to wear white. The Vatican has to grant that privilege. And it won't happen because (and someone correct me if I'm wrong about this), but I don't think the Netherlands are considered are predominantly catholic country, unlike for example, Spain. You have to be a catholic queen of a country that has Catholicism as its main religion.
You are absolutely right, only the southern part of the Netherlands is Catholic. The Royal House is protestant and that makes Queen Máxima the spouse of a protestant King, even though she's a Catholic herself. For the privilège du Blanc, you have to be a Catholic sovereign or married to a Catholic sovereign. Máxima is neither of those two. Judging by todays pictures, she was deeply touched and honored to be able to meet the Pope. I think she was very right to dress like this. As a Catholic Dutch person, I'm touched to see her with the Pope like this.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Nobility

Queen Maxima is so vibrant and lively that it's too bad she ever has to wear black. That said, she looks so perfectly turned out for the Papal visit, and the pearl earrings are gorgeous!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
You are absolutely right, only the southern part of the Netherlands is Catholic. The Royal House is protestant and that makes Queen Máxima the spouse of a protestant King, even though she's a Catholic herself. For the privilège du Blanc, you have to be a Catholic sovereign or married to a Catholic sovereign. Máxima is neither of those two. Judging by todays pictures, she was deeply touched and honored to be able to meet the Pope. I think she was very right to dress like this. As a Catholic Dutch person, I'm touched to see her with the Pope like this.

Roman-Catholicism is the biggest religious denomination in the Netherlands, bigger than all other denominations together. It is sort of a mantra in the heads that the Netherlands is "a protestant country". If one has to label it: it is a secular country as more than 50% has no any religion at all...
Old 06-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I thought Queen Máxima looked so elegant today at the Vatican and her jewels too were just right.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Majesty

I agree. She looked simply perfect,exactly the way a queen or the wife of a Head of State should dress when received during an audience at the Vatican imo.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Majesty

For the visit to Pope very elegant and perfect dressed !!

The outfit No2 no comment!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've just see outfit number 2 from Milan ,utterly hideous and far too revealing for a queen!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
Technically I think that she could if extended the privilege by the Pope. I think that out of respect for the Netherlands, which is not a Catholic nation, she chose to wear black which in my opinion was a good choice. On the same sort of note, this is how someone wears black to meet the Pope! This look is flawless from head to toe, even the mantilla is beautiful.
Actually, it doesn't suffice for the queen to be Catholic. She must be actually the queen of a country that is officially designated as a Catholic monarchy. Obviously, that cannot be the case for the Netherlands, whose king is Protestant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Máxima elegant in black meeting the Pope and visiting Vatican City today, June 22:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 **
Are there any actual pictures of Máxima and Willem-Alexander with the Pope ?

The royal couple looked nice, but dressed down IMHO for an actual state visit. In the past, the king would be in white tie and his consort would wear a tiara; both would also be wearing orders. Maybe it was not a state visit, but an official visit.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
She is lovely but why she is not using the "privilege du blanc"? She is a Queen and she is Catholic, she can wear white.
she is catholic, but the country she is queen of is not. the privilege du blanc is only for monarchs of catholic countries.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Máxima elegant in black meeting the Pope and visiting Vatican City today, June 22:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 **
She looks so very elegant and regal. Beautiful look.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

an understood very elegant outfit,i like the veil
Old 06-22-2017, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

This is how a queen should greet the pope, lovely hairdo, proper veil , dress and pearl jewelry. That is if we aren't doing tiaras anymore. Bravo max. Great sleeveless white dress with large straw hat the day earlier and nice sundress in Dutch flag colors, but bad red earrings
Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 AM
Majesty

Maxima, like the queen of Lesotho, are Catholic but not of an officially Catholic country. Oddly the princess of Lichtebstein has not been granted the right, even though Lichtenstein is Catholic. Pethaps will change, Monaco recently got it.

I am sure like Chris Oneil, meeting the pope is a great honor for her.

Maxima looked absolutely regal in black. Just as they should in an appearance

Her second look was cheap. Looked like adult size version of sundress she would put youngest daughter in. Not good look at all.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Queen Máxima on the final day in Italy today, June 23, wearing a new long summer dress:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Close up **
Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Much better choice today with the summery dress and hat on the final day.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Serene Highness

I really like the hat and she looks good in that colour. I also like the earrings and the bracelet - they pull the whole look together.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Courtier

One thing about Maxima is that she rarely plays it safe with her fashion choices and this is a great example : she wears the dress and not the other way around. Very flattering for her complexion and figure without being too revealing.

Tags
queen maxima, queen maxima casual wear, queen maxima daytime fashion, queen maxima fashion, queen maxima hats, queen maxima style