Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 3: April 2008 - August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She really tried too hard to promote Varela's latest clothes. With the clothes he made the last couple of years, I bet he hasn't been doing too well :lol:.
Except for the recycle she looks very nice today. Her outfit matches very well Felipe's white uniform :flowers:.

From lula
http://i28.tinypic.com/29pp1ls.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/fo21qr.jpg

Is Varela popular at all I mean in the sense that Senora X is keen to wear his stuff? Given he's so average and with partly poor quality I imagine that he might be struggling to claim his market niche as women in good working positions can easily spend a few quit more and get a better quality.

I understand from Letizia's perspective that dressing high class designer might lead to people like Penelope Cruz wearing the same outfit - by chance - what Zarzuela probably doesn't want to see and what won't happen when chosing Varela.

In Spain, Varela isnot a great designer. Thre´re more great designer such as Roberto Verino, V & L , Pedro del Hierro, Purificación García and much more.

I saw Varela outfits in a market and they´re horribles. I don´t like Letizia´s outfits

but at the end I think what matters ios her image and I think that she has a very good image in all her apperances, if we forget that she recycles that suit two days ago, if we forget her peep toe shoes to big for her foot, if we forget her grey and boring suits with those tops, if we forget all of it we can consider that in all events she has a very beautiful figure and that she represents Spain very well!
I do agree with you!
Letizia has a nice image, but she'd better get rid of Varela and buy nicer shoes.
Her last purple outfit was really nice, maybe the colour was a bit too bright, but , definitely it is a nice outfit.
The shoes are really ugly!
Bulls Press
Bulls Press
There must be a reason if they take so often close pics only of her shoes!:whistling:
In Spain, Varela isnot a great designer. Thre´re more great designer such as Roberto Verino, V & L , Pedro del Hierro, Purificación García and much more.

I saw Varela outfits in a market and they´re horribles. I don´t like Letizia´s outfits
IMO, she should choose a better designer. Letizia says that she is not interested in clothes, but she represents Spain in the world, as the other Spanish Royals, so she should wear the best clothes avaible in Spain, but with a royal style too. They have the chance to promote Spanish Fashion, so, why not?
IMO, of course.

Last edited:
By wearing Spanish designers she is promoting Spanish fashion.

By wearing Spanish designers she is promoting Spanish fashion.
But she should promote the best designers, the best Spanish Fashion, not Varela. Varela cannot compete with famous and great French, Italian, etc, stylists. There are by far better designers in Spain.
Promoting Varela fashion in order to promote Spanish Fashion is a waste of time and a damage for the image of Spanish fashion in the world.
IMO, of course.

Last edited:
There are better designers but maybe Letizia wants to be known for more than just her wardrobe. Secondly she clealry does not spend as much on clothes as the Queen of Cristina, so isn't it likely therefore that she has a smaller budget?

There are better designers but maybe Letizia wants to be known for more than just her wardrobe. Secondly she clealry does not spend as much on clothes as the Queen of Cristina, so isn't it likely therefore that she has a smaller budget?
I totally disagree with you but I prefer to stop it here.:flowers:

Varela is the worst option of all. We can see every day that he doesn't have the slightest idea how to dress a royal.
I don't know why it is suggested from time to time that nice clothes don't really matter for a princess, especially for Letizia whose alledged intelligence and terrific performance sets her miles apart from these other poor CPs or even Queens who need to become clotheshorses to be recognized. But maybe I only have a different idea of how royals should dress - certainly not like the most average person on the streets using the same low budget "designer" all the time. Work is one thing, clothes another one and a good balance is helpful.

Even Queen Sofia, who is certainly known for more than just her wardrobe doesn't wear sackcloth and ashes and neither does one of her daughters. Letizia used to be very aware of her appearance in former days but not anymore - not sure what the Asturias use their share of the household budget for, maybe paying off the mortgage on Felipe's Zarzuela residence? 11 bedrooms and and nine bathrooms don't come cheap, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Varela is the worst option of all. We can see every day that he doesn't have the slightest idea how to dress a royal.
I don't know why it is suggested from time to time that nice clothes don't really matter for a princess, especially for Letizia whose alledged intelligence and terrific performance sets her miles apart from these other poor CPs or even Queens who need to become clotheshorses to be recognized. But maybe I only have a different idea of how royals should dress - certainly not like the most average person on the streets using the same low budget "designer" all the time. Work is one thing, clothes another one and a good balance is helpful.

Even Queen Sofia, who is certainly known for more than just her wardrobe doesn't wear sackcloth and ashes and neither does one of her daughters. Letizia used to be very aware of her appearance in former days but not anymore - not sure what the Asturias use their share of the household budget for, maybe paying off the mortgage on Felipe's Zarzuela residence? 11 bedrooms and and nine bathrooms don't come cheap, that's for sure.
I totally agree with you on this matter. She definately needs to dump some of her current designers. Also, I am in full agreement that CPs do need to set a higher standard as far as appearance. A better balance is needed in Letizia's case. She is absolutely stunning and I'd love to see more effort from her in the wardrobe department. ;)

Last edited:
Is Varela popular at all I mean in the sense that Senora X is keen to wear his stuff? Given he's so average and with partly poor quality I imagine that he might be struggling to claim his market niche as women in good working positions can easily spend a few quit more and get a better quality.

I understand from Letizia's perspective that dressing high class designer might lead to people like Penelope Cruz wearing the same outfit - by chance - what Zarzuela probably doesn't want to see and what won't happen when chosing Varela.

Varela is definitely not a top designer in Spain. He left Pasarela Cibeles a few years ago because he was not given his own show. The idea of using a new and not so famous designer (suggested by her mother-in-law) is not bad, Diana had Catherine Walker, Sofia has Margarita Nuez for 20 years, the issue is that Varela hasn't been showing any sort of effort. Actually being a designer for a royal doesn't require tremendous talents since royals tend to wear more classic and conservative clothes, but since the royals appear in public regularly, the dedication is needed from the designer, which I think Varela is quite lacking (of course he also lacks in talents too). That's why I always think Letizia should go with a woman designer, although they might not be the best, but usually they are perfectionists, pay more attention to the details.

it does it abit tiresome when evertone goes on so much about Letizia's recycling and using Varela as her main designer is there any chance we could maybe change the topic for once

3rd June 2008
http://spaansekoningshuis.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/03/01_ampliada_01.jpg
and yes before everyone starts again it is a recycled suit and top but this time she wore different combinations

Now THIS is how to recycle! I didn't even know the suit was old...I'll even forgive the peep-toes!!

Varela can't cut cloth like Azzedine or McQueen but I don't think he's that bad. Leti just needs to put more effort into interchanging her wardrobe like in the photo above.

Her purple outfit was gorgeous, but the shoes would've looked better as classic stiletto pumps, not peep-toes.

Varela makes nice coat dress. Her purple coat has nice color, nice fabrics, however the style is quite old fashion and Letizia has a few this style coat dresses already (ex. the coat dress she wore at the National day two years ago when she was pregnant with Sofia). His suit jackets were often ill-fitting, the shoulders or the Sleeves usually didn't look right.

Would you please clarify how a Royal is supposed to dress? Most of the ladies tend to opt for skirt suits, dresses, smarty jackets etc.

From what I can tell Letizia is not dressing radically different to others.

Duke of Marmalade said:
I don't know why it is suggested from time to time that nice clothes don't really matter for a princess, especially for Letizia whose alledged intelligence and terrific performance sets her miles apart from these other poor CPs or even Queens who need to become clotheshorses to be recognized.
I'm a big fan of Queen Rania, yet no matter how hard she works, in some aspects of the media and on MB's she is still portrayed as a clotheshorse. Her work for some people doesn't ever come into it.

I think Letizia is trying to avoid such a scenario by not wearing clothes that may be seen to be overly extravagant.

But maybe I only have a different idea of how royals should dress - certainly not like the most average person on the streets using the same low budget "designer" all the time. Work is one thing, clothes another one and a good balance is helpful.
The one time she wore an Armani suit she was roundly condemnded in the press and on MB's for the expense etc.

There are some jounalists in Spain who are ready to pounce at every opportunity. The Jaime Penafiels of this would go berserk imo if she started wearing more expensive designers, even if they were Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you please clarify how a Royal is supposed to dress? Most of the ladies tend to opt for skirt suits, dresses, smarty jackets etc.
From what I can tell Letizia is not dressing radically different to others.

My idea of royals in general is that they should stand out. They might represent (through the monarch as Head of State) the ordinary man on the street but they should not become like him.

This transferred onto Letizia's wardrobe IMO she dresses like any ordinary woman in an office, her everyday clothes are often ill-fitted, old fashioned and most of all, of cheap and bad quality. Yes she looks ok and presentable but if you haven't seen her before you could well think that she is Felipe's PA or a receptionist. I am missing good quality, smart outfits with chic accessoires and some nice pieces of jewellery, depending on the occasion. If she is too busy to handle appropriately (would be understandable) Felipe should back her up and employ somebody.

I'm a big fan of Queen Rania, yet no matter how hard she works, in some aspects of the media and on MB's she is still portrayed as a clotheshorse. Her work for some people doesn't ever come into it.

I think Letizia is trying to avoid such a scenario by not wearing clothes that may be seen to be overly extravagant.

There are some jounalists in Spain who are ready to pounce at every opportunity. The Jaime Penafiels of this would go berserk imo if she started wearing more expensive designers, even if they were Spanish.

For me Rania is THE role model of a modern Queen, promoting her country with a regal appearance at the same time (fair enough, Letizia is only Princess and not Queen yet and even when she becomes Queen consort her role will probably be much less outspoken).

I don't like the fact that Letizia has made herself kind of "The face of Varela", I think it's her duty to promote others as well and not stick with one exclusively who doesn't even have the slightest standing in spanish fashion.

All I am asking for is that Letizia as PoA should have the same standard / quality in her wardrobe at least as the Infantas and sooner or later than Queen Sofia. Why doesn't anyone complain about them when they show up in Valentino or Oscar de la Renta, swinging their Chanel bags? It's ridiculous that Letizia has to wear the cheapest option (Varela) to avoid being crucified by parts of the media. Why are they not proud of her instead? At least in the first two years of her marriage it was a joy to look at her.

Sometimes I ask myself if the Spanish (no offense please) only keep their royals (at least the CP couple and especially Letizia) for entertainment, to humiliate them or to sell magazines with silly stories because they are not allowed to do or to have anything that is naturally associated with royalty, not even a good quality wardrobe in Letizia's case (whilst Felipe's suits are certainly handmade). If a country is monarchic it should allow their royals to behave like royals, especially when they don't fool around all the time, like in Spain and let them be a bit outstanding. It's sad to see that the media obiously enjoys being part of the attitude of cutting back F&L as much as possible until they will eventually become dispensable.

The one time she wore an Armani suit she was roundly condemnded in the press and on MB's for the expense etc.

Well it is been 4 years, maybe time to test the water again:rolleyes:
Does anyone take this Penafiel seriously? And those who do they are not going to like her no matter what she wears? And do we really think what royal watchers on MB thinks influence the spanish people and the royal family? I say rise above it. The Queen has tonns of Valentino couture dresses and Elena is a like advertisement board for Chanel purses. If the spanish people is petty (and I dont think they are) that they cant get with the idea that their Crown Princess buys some quality clothes every blue moon they should just get rid of the monarchy right away.

The only thing I dont agree with is that Christina wears nicer cltohes than Letizia, IMO her day wardrobe is even worse than Letizias, its mostly grey, beige and brown dowdy suits.

This transferred onto Letizia's wardrobe IMO she dresses like any ordinary woman in an office, her everyday clothes are often ill-fitted, old fashioned and most of all, of cheap and bad quality.
I can understand that you may not like some of her outfits, there's been a few I haven't liked. However, I honestly cannot fathom how you can possibly say they are bad quality unless you got up close and personal, so to speak.

There are a few design errors, for example the horrible zippers that Varela often uses on what would otherwise be a flawless deisgn. Those sorts of things should definitely be looked at.

Duke of Marmalade said:
I am missing good quality, smart outfits with chic accessoires and some nice pieces of jewellery, depending on the occasion. If she is too busy to handle appropriately (would be understandable) Felipe should back her up and employ somebody.
Her jewellery is almost always perfect for the events, in that she tends to opt for smaller designs. She'd look silly dripping in diamonds. Plus she's worn Louboutins quite a few times-there aren't many shoe designers who are more chic!

Moreover, while I don't disagree that a stylist is a good idea, surely that is something that can only be considered if they have the funds to back it up? From what I understand they have very little personal staff with only a few secretaries. Unsurprisingly, a stylist may then be considered frivolous or unnecessary.

Duke of Marmalade said:
I don't like the fact that Letizia has made herself kind of "The face of Varela", I think it's her duty to promote others as well and not stick with one exclusively who doesn't even have the slightest standing in spanish fashion.
I'd love her to vary her designers more, I'm a huge Adolfo Dominguez fan and think his clothes would be perfect for her. Again, though, if she's sticking to Varela so consistently doesn't that suggest that she has a valid reason.

After all, it's been noted on the forum before that she's worn Mango/Zara/Massimo Dutti at public events. That's not exactly the behaviour of a princess who has plenty of money to spend on clothes imo.

Duke of Marmalade said:
All I am asking for is that Letizia as PoA should have the same standard / quality in her wardrobe at least as the Infantas and sooner or later than Queen Sofia. Why doesn't anyone complain about them when they show up in Valentino or Oscar de la Renta, swinging their Chanel bags? It's ridiculous that Letizia has to wear the cheapest option (Varela) to avoid being crucified by parts of the media. Why are they not proud of her instead?
I completely agree and think there's something of a hypocritical stance in the Spanish media. I think the fact that the Queen and Infantas are the "born royals", whereas Letizia is the "commoner" makes her easier target for criticism. Therefore when Elena wears Chanel it's acceptable; if Letizia did it she would be crucified (not literally of course!)!

The Queen is at another level since she is the Queen, JC's wife. Jaime was blamed for Elena's expensive clothers and accessories, he was the one wrapping his wife with the French/Italian clothes. His nickname is Duke of Luxury. I don't think Letizia wants to be called 'Princess of Luxury' :cool:. I agree with Larzen that most of Cristina's daytime outfits were worse than Letizia's, perhaps people didn't pay her enough attention to criticize her wardrobe.
Varela has a few nice pieces each year, since he is a small designer, not enough varieties among his collections. The 1st piece looks good, the 2nd piece with a different color looks boring, the 3rd piece with another color looks bad :lol:. I guess that's Varela's problem.
Back to Wed's outfit. She looks very nice. So far Varela made nice coat dresses.

http://i32.tinypic.com/1ze9pph.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/11gmtfr.jpg

The latest outfit is not bad. It's elegant and nice.
But somehow it looks so conservative and high-necked. Like an outfit that could also be worn by a 60-something Queen instead of a 30-something Princess.
Her fashion used to be fresh and elegant during the first years as a Princess. It turned to look somehow very stuffy (especially all those coat-dresses).
It's not that she looks bad ... I would just prefer to see her in some more youthful clothes...

If the spanish people is petty (and I dont think they are) that they cant get with the idea that their Crown Princess buys some quality clothes every blue moon they should just get rid of the monarchy right away.

My thoughts exactly Larzen. Royals are supposed to be privileged and especially in Spain there is no reason to complain about a wrong work - privilege balance.

I actually like yesterday's outfit, thought it was a bit more classy and the blouse is nice. The shoes however are plain ugly but by now I believe that she wears them all the time because they are more comfortable (maybe even made more comfortably for her). Letizia has only been out and about for 4 years and has somewhat 40 years + ahead of her. There is no way that she will be able to continue wearing her usual 10cm heels, keeping in mind she walks and stands a lot, without causing serious damage to her feet or spine, therefore I believe these shoes are already a result of problems (the plateau is acutally less steep than high heels with flat soles).

thanks LadyFin i would never have imagined that grey dress to be sleeveless

Princess Letizia visited also Salon Avante today:
Casa Real

That Salon Avante combo was really boring and old fashioned, grey, white, black. It would look good on a well situated woman in her 70ies but not on a 35 year old.

June 9th journalism prize presentation (thanks to lula)
http://i25.tinypic.com/2hxsis8.jpg

Another back-to-back repeat, 3rd time or so.
The jacket is not bad but the skinny pants and peeptoe plateaus are so unflattering. There is an imbalance between her thin legs and the chunky looking shoes, doesn't look elegant at all.

True. Not the best pants for her. She looks so thin and small.

The outfit is actually quite nice, only she really has to put on some pounds!!

I'm wondering if most of Letizias outfits are lend by the designer, and she has to return it. This could be the reason why she recycles it 2 or 3 times in such short time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom