The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

If they want security they can pay for it. The people who decide who needs security have decided that other than the Queen's children and Charles' descendants no one else needs full-time security and so they don't have it. That means that Sophie, for instance, only has security when she is doing official duties although Edward has it 24/7.

Andrew and Anne's children don't have taxpayer supplied security although Andrew pays for security for his daughters. The rest of the extended don't have it on a day to day basis.

The Gloucester's live at KP and so have the security around their home simply because of where they live and that also applies to the Michael's of Kent.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It had to happen sooner or later

Since I've been old enough to know about Buckingham Palace, The Queen and the Queen's Guards, its been kind of a tradition to at least try and get a reaction from one of the Queen's Guards on duty. End result has usually been a strike out. These guys are good.

One pesky critter though has succeeded with one of the Guards at Windsor Castle though. Bet he'll never ever try it again!

The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist - UK - News - The Independent

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I always thought it was so disrespectful that people would do stupid stuff to the Guardsmen. I wouldn't do that to a Marine at the White House or a Swiss Guard at the Vatican. I think it's the hat that makes people think it's okay.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Has any consideration been given to where either Philip or Camilla would live in the event that they outlive their spouses? Presumably Philip's advanced age, and whether Charles is King or not at the time would affect the arrangements.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Has any consideration been given to where either Philip or Camilla would live in the event that they outlive their spouses? Presumably Philip's advanced age, and whether Charles is King or not at the time would affect the arrangements.

Don't you think Camilla would live at her own house in the country and Philip would live at Windsor?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Don't you think Camilla would live at her own house in the country and Philip would live at Windsor? Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Personally, I think they think through all the scenarios - these included. But they don't tell us. Frankly, I don't enjoy speculating on people's deaths anyway. It gets a bit creepy for my taste, but that's just me - because there is a lot of what if death speculation on the forums.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Personally, I think they think through all the scenarios - these included. But they don't tell us. Frankly, I don't enjoy speculating on people's deaths anyway. It gets a bit creepy for my taste, but that's just me - because there is a lot of what if death speculation on the forums.

I agree but when it came to this question in particular I just felt it was a bit of speculating to much. Camilla has a house of her own and Philip has lived and run Windsor for the main part of his life so why should he move? Sometimes I think we complicate things to much... even though a lot of our speculative chats are highly enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Philip may well continue to occupy a part of Windsor and a part of BP.

I guess Camilla will retreat back to Raymill. If she is the widow of the king, she may keep Clarence House as well.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Clarence House is a huge old place and I would imagine that the running costs and maintenance on such a place would be considerable. I know the Queen Mother lived there in some state in her widowhood, but these are different times. The Queen Mother's income, at least in her old age, was generously augmented by her daughter and eldest grandson.

Camilla won't have Duchy funds to run the place and, with all due respect to William, I can't see him devoting part of the Duchy of Lancaster money (when he is king) to keep his aged stepmother alone in a huge home.

Of course it all depends on Philip and Camilla's age and health. If Philip is in need of constant physical care then he might well stay close to medical facilities in London. If he was just frail then he might choose to live at Sandringham or Windsor.

If Charles died before acceding to the throne, then Camilla might very well end her days at Raymill. If she's a widowed Queen Dowager in reasonable health then her circumstances would be different, even though, as I say, I can't see her occupying Clarence House for the rest of her life.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Buckingham Palace is likely to become the Queen’s “third home” after plans were put in place for her to spend increasing amounts of time at Windsor Castle and Balmoral when she enters her nineties.

Her Majesty already spends more nights at Windsor than she does at the Palace, and she will gradually lengthen the time she spends in Scotland every summer to conserve her energy for the hundreds of royal engagements she fulfils every year.

Royal Household staff have begun to re-arrange her diary so that her engagements are packed into fewer days each year.

She still works every day except Christmas Day by going through her red boxes of official government papers and holding meetings with staff, but the more relaxed pace of life at Balmoral in particular is less mentally and physically demanding for the Queen, who will be 90 in April.

An analysis of the Queen’s diary over the past five years shows that she has already dramatically reduced the amount of time she spends at Buckingham Palace over the last five years.

In 2011 the Queen spent 109 nights at Buckingham Palace, whereas this year the figure was down to 88 nights.

In the same period the time she spends at Windsor has risen from 119 nights to 159, while Sandringham has risen from 51 nights to 54. In some years the Queen has stayed at Balmoral for 63 nights, and if that figure rises it, too, could overtake Buckingham Palace in terms of the time she spends there.
Read more: Buckingham Palace could become Queen's 'third home' as she opts for more time at Windsor and Balmoral - Telegraph
Old 12-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Courtier

Work should begin on the overhaul of BP and she should be allowed to stay at Windsor, or wherever she likes. It is obvious that after all these years, that she has the ability to do her job from any of her homes. She is the original telecommuter.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Serene Highness

To me it would make perfect sense for the much needed restoration work at BP to be done in one go now, allowing the Queen as she turns 90 to spend more time at Windsor, and if the reports above are correct, Balmoral. Windsor could be used for state visits and investitures as well as the State Apartments at St James' Palace and maybe even KP.
It would be perfect to get the work done before Charles takes over.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To me it would make perfect sense for the much needed restoration work at BP to be done in one go now, allowing the Queen as she turns 90 to spend more time at Windsor, and if the reports above are correct, Balmoral. Windsor could be used for state visits and investitures as well as the State Apartments at St James' Palace and maybe even KP.
It would be perfect to get the work done before Charles takes over.
This makes sense, esp as Windsor is already used for state visits (ie Spain in March)

But there is more than the Queen to consider - there is her interaction with Government esp the PM and Ministers, the Diplomatic Corps, Ambassadors etc. It isn't as easy as saying, for example, that they go to her. That's time and money. Head of State needs to be close at hand.

And there is the important issue of staff - their jobs, pay and housing could all be affected if the court was not at BP.

I think she will be in London one or two days a week, even if she travels daily.

Remember what she said "I need to be seen to be believed".

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Serene Highness

I agree, the continued use of the Palace is important. I was referring to the fact there were recent reports that the Palace was going to need years of work to restore it. I think it would be better to do this now than under a new reign when IMO its more important for the new King (Charles) to have use of BP. Of course all the issues you raise would need to be sorted but whether in the Queen's reign or Charles the same issues occur.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Britain’s Top 10 Palaces: Part 1 – Royal Central
Old 04-04-2016, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Your next adventure: royal retreats. Stay in one of these regal buildings for traditional views and old-fashioned entertainment | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Highgrove House was purchased by The Duchy of Cornwall not Prince Charles himself. If Highgrove House was to be sold, would this be the responsibility of The Duchy of Cornwall?
Old 09-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine so. Charles actually does not own any property outright and what he's advised the Duchy of Cornwall to invest in, I would imagine that they would remain as holdings for future Dukes of Cornwall in the future.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would imagine so. Charles actually does not own any property outright and what he's advised the Duchy of Cornwall to invest in, I would imagine that they would remain as holdings for future Dukes of Cornwall in the future.
Who/What entity owns the properties in Transylvania?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This makes sense, esp as Windsor is already used for state visits (ie Spain in March)

But there is more than the Queen to consider - there is her interaction with Government esp the PM and Ministers, the Diplomatic Corps, Ambassadors etc. It isn't as easy as saying, for example, that they go to her. That's time and money. Head of State needs to be close at hand.

And there is the important issue of staff - their jobs, pay and housing could all be affected if the court was not at BP.

I think she will be in London one or two days a week, even if she travels daily.

Remember what she said "I need to be seen to be believed".
Surely between St James', KP and Clarence House they could find a few rooms for the Queen to use, I mean the audience rooms she uses to greet ambassadors and ministers are not overly lavish or spectacular. An audience room, an area to work maybe and a small place to rest between duties would be all she would really need if she were to spend most of her time at Windsor.It wouldn't be ideal but it would be doable. She could do two days a week in London and the rest from Windsor.