The Windsors and Europe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TODOI

Commoner
why is it that the Windsors seem to keep to themselves and don't interact with their Europeon Royal Cousins that much?.... I would have thought William and Harry would have met other Royals or even attended Royal events in Europe by now

and Why doesn't Queen Elizabeth attend Royal functions in Europe if she can go on State visits all over the world how come she can't go to events on the continent?....

they are the windsors. so why should they interact with other royals?

They are not close cousins. Not like Spain, Denmark and Greece. The Queen usually sends royals who are close in age it seems to the events particpants (ie at weddings). I think the reason you haven't seen William and Harry is that the family wants them to complete their educations first. After everything that has happened between the family and the press it is understandable. Plus there are plenty of royals to appear on behalf of the family. William and Harry aren't needed yet.

right!

William and Harry never going state trip since Princess Diana's death in 1997 but the brothers went Canada in 1998 with his dad the Prince of Wales you know that!

when the brothers was little boys his parents took him to Spain and Italy, Canada and lots more when Princess Diana been vacation lots than his dad you would believe me!

Sara Boyce

Originally posted by Fashionista100@Apr 21st, 2004 - 8:45 am
They are not close cousins. Not like Spain, Denmark and Greece.
Aren't the Queen and King Harald of Norway cousins?

Lots of other royals aren't close cousins such as the Danish/Greek/Spanish royals but they still seem to spend time together. For example, Queen Beatrix and Queen Noor are both close to the Spanish royals and there is no close relationship there.

There are usualy two out-bound State Visits made by the Queen a year under the advisement of her Government, therefore recently because of International Governmental politics the Queen has been obliged to entertain Russia and America. The State Visits are made exclusivly as part of her Job as Queen. Attending European Public Wedding's and Funerals are made as courtesy invitations and whilst Heads of State are invited to such functions, it is not required they must attend in person and in some cases due to international politcs it is not always apropriate for a King/Queen to attend... such as when Queen Margareth of Denmark married, her sister and brother-in-law the King and Queen of Greece did not attend due to the political instability in Greece at the time. For similer reasons the British Government didnt think it was apropriate for the Queen to attend the 2500 aniversary celibrations in Iran in 1971 and sent Princess Anne to acompany Philip. Oh and then they were not invited at all to Prince Laurent of Beligum's wedding beacuse of Iraq.

Just when nearly everything the Windsor's do appears in the newspapers, sometimes its suprising to learn there are alot of private trips made my members of the family, that the public do not hear about. The Queen certainly receives private visits from other European Royals when they are "in town." Recently the Queen has sent other "junior" members of the family to other European Gatherings for reasons already mentioned over age, but also she is very busy within the UK. A look at the Court Program show's how busy she is and when she takes bookings sometimes 5 years in advance, she often places British Public apperences above the European Jolly's with the Family. However it does seem that she doesn't venture out that often on public outings to Europe - perhaps she just doesnt like them :eek: or that whilst she is away Charles will run away with her throne

Im not sure how close Queen Lizzie is to other Royals, but Prince Charles is very good friends with King Constantine and he and Diana used to Holiday with Juan Carlos and Sofie... although the gossip was Sofie banned them comming to stay because she was convinced Diana and Juan were having an affair :eek: .

Queen Noor made some subtle comments about the Queen in her book, I don't think they got on very well. The Romanian's were frequent visitors to Buckingham Palace. Princess Margareta commented on “tea at the palace” in a TV Interview and Prince Phillip and King Michael grew up together as close cousins. Prince Philip's sisters used to visit and stay with them, however beacuse they were all married to German Duke's they always kept a low profile beacuse of the War. Philip's mother lived at the Palace at the end of her life but that wasn't made high profile.

The Queen Mother was good friends with King Olav and there was some reason which I forget now, that much to her sorrow she was unable to attend his funeral.

Of course with Philips amusing but quite random “bloopers” they probably try to keep the Windsors at home :blink: . Then there was the time the Queen was kept waiting on a State Visit once… I think it was to Morocco… any one remember??? Eitherway she knocked them off her Christmas Card List :lol:

I don't think the Queen was obliged to entertain "America," as the two countries have a special relationship and she is friends with the American Ambassador Will Farish (having stayed at his home in Versailles, KY.) Moreover, she is also contact with former President Bush and his wife ...

As for funerals, weddings, etc ... I recently did a bit of research and checked the news coverage for weddings and funerals for the entire 20Century. It has been customary for the British sovereign to send a rep to a wedding or a funeral. Queen Elizabeth II's presence at the funeral of King Baudouin was most unusual and rare. British sovereigns appear not to attend such events. I went as far back as Frederik VIII's funeral (Denmark).

The sovereign has sent children, siblings, cousins, uncles, even, relatives by marriage, to represent him or her at royal weddings and funerals. In 1947, KIng George VI sent the Duke of Beaufort, who was married to a cousin, to represent him at the funerals of Christian X of Greece and George II of the Hellenes (who died a few weeks apart.)

Iraq had nothing to do with the British not attending Laurent's wedding ... it was unlikely that the sovereign would send a rep to the wedding of a younger son - as they barely know Laurent's generation.

The Queen is obliged to do things as Head of State meaning she is required to do them as obligations of the "job" whether she personaly wants to or not... I didnt say she didnt want to entertain Russia or USA just that she had too...

I think the last wedding she attended was Crown Prince Pavlos's but that was in London

Originally posted by Splodger@Apr 21st, 2004 - 8:57 pm
The Queen is obliged to do things as Head of State meaning she is required to do them as obligations of the "job" whether she personaly wants to or not... I didnt say she didnt want to entertain Russia or USA just that she had too...

I think the last wedding she attended was Crown Prince Pavlos's but that was in London
Pavlos' sister Alexia married after him, and was married at the same Greek Orthodox church in London. So the last foreign royal's wedding the Queen attended was Princess Alexia's.

Alexandria,

THe queen attended the weddings because they were in LOndon ...had the weddings been in Greece, she would not have attended ...

Originally posted by Marlene@Apr 21st, 2004 - 9:28 pm
Alexandria,

THe queen attended the weddings because they were in LOndon ...had the weddings been in Greece, she would not have attended ...

Yes, Marlene, I realize that. The post I quoted said that the last wedding the Queen attended (outside of her own family's) was Pavlos of Greece's, when in fact it was his sister Alexia's. And I stated very clearly that both took place in London.

I had forgotten the Queen was at Alexia's wedding. Who from the Windsor's went to Juliana's funeral the other week? And does anyone know whos off to Frederick and Felip's weddings next month? I can only assume my invite was lost in the post :wacko:

The Duke of Edinburgh represented the Queen at Juliana's funeral. The Palace has not announced who will be going to the two weddings, but it is assumed that Charles will be attending the Danish wedding (report in Danish newspaper.)

Originally posted by Marlene@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 12:59 pm
The Duke of Edinburgh represented the Queen at Juliana's funeral. The Palace has not announced who will be going to the two weddings, but it is assumed that Charles will be attending the Danish wedding (report in Danish newspaper.)
Then Does anyone know who is going for the spainish wedding? Anyway are these two weddings considered to be high profile event as they are both of crown prince and princess.

Originally posted by Duke@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:01 pm
Then Does anyone know who is going for the spainish wedding? Anyway are these two weddings considered to be high profile event as they are both of crown prince and princess.
Likely Charles will attend on the Queen's behalf, and perhaps Edward and Sophie will attend, too. But I doubt anyone else from the British royal family would attend either the Spanish or Danish wedding.

The Queen no doubt attended Alexia & Pavols' weddings not only because they were in London but Prince Philip is decended from the house of Greece through his father.
It's probable that even if the weddings were out of the UK the Queen still may have attended. If not her Prince Philip would. It's always been a sore spot with him that the Greek family is in exile!

TODOI said:
why is it that the Windsors seem to keep to themselves and don't interact with their Europeon Royal Cousins that much?.... I would have thought William and Harry would have met other Royals or even attended Royal events in Europe by now

and Why doesn't Queen Elizabeth attend Royal functions in Europe if she can go on State visits all over the world how come she can't go to events on the continent?....
I'm afraid that the Windors seem to think that they are somehow better than other royals and that belief is held by many British royalist. I once hear somebody comment that the British royals were the only "real" royalty in the world. She claimed that other Kings and Queens were not real royalty and only held their titles because the British monarch allowed them to use them. Sadly, I think Elizabeth believes that also.

Iain said:
I'm afraid that the Windors seem to think that they are somehow better than other royals and that belief is held by many British royalist. I once hear somebody comment that the British royals were the only "real" royalty in the world. She claimed that other Kings and Queens were not real royalty and only held their titles because the British monarch allowed them to use them. Sadly, I think Elizabeth believes that also.
That's a snooty attitude for the Queen to have isn't? Some of the other royals are just as royal as her like Sofia, Beatrix, Margrethe. If they can all mix and mingle with each other so can Queen Elizabeth.
Or maybe she doesn't because she is of a different generation than the other queens even if it is only by a decade?
At least Charles and the Wessexes mix and mingle with the other royals. But how come never Andrew or Anne? Do they think they are above everyone else too?

I doubt this is the way the Queen thinks. I very much feel that unless the bride or groom is one of her godchildren she would rather send someone of their generation. At the moment that appears to be the Wessex's but in future years it will probably be William, Harry, Beatrice & Eugenie and, eventually, Louise. It wouldn't surprise me to see William make his first overseas appearance at CP Victoria's wedding in Sweden.

Remember that HM is nearly 80 years old. With the heavy workload she has it's a wonder she has any energy left and I, for one, don't blame her for curtailing unneccessary "gadding about".

Yes, i also agree with you.We should not balme The Queen so much.Although anything she has tried a lot to do anything she can do.We should respect her.
Also, The Queen is busy with engagements than other Royals.So she can not attend.

Iain said:
Wow I can't believe that! Whoever said that the windsors were the only "real royalty" obviously didn't know what they were talking about. That's nonsense.

I do not think so.It is not true.Why should we always complain/claim The British Royals especially The Queen.Everyone is human,and no one can be perfect!So if you were her,can you do better or as she has done?Do not sit there and claim a lot!

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Yes, i also agree with you.We should not balme The Queen so much.Although anything she has tried a lot to do anything she can do.We should respect her.
Also, The Queen is busy with engagements than other Royals.So she can not attend.
yeah i agree with you too!

i respectively with HM Queen because she really busy woman and she cant leave the London for state wedding her youngest son/daughter-in-law Earl and Countess of Wessex can attend it because his mum really busy to do! because the Queen really nearly 80 years old she is 77 years old im sure! but HM Queen can go for state trips but she cant attend for state weddings i understand! when she attend for soceity royal wedding with her 2 Royals grandson Prince William and Prince Harry.

Sara Boyce

There's absolutely no evidence that suggests that she thinks she's better than any of the monarchs (except perhaps Monaco, but everyone looks down on them). She doesn't go because it doesn't interest her. It's better for her to stay home rather than go and be miserable, like Charles was accused of being at the 2001 Norway wedding.

Yes, i do not like them to complain about The Queen, she is not free. Other Royals they rarely have visit but The Queen not.She is not only have visit but also do some works more.She has to read Government documents,reports,sign papers....Do not let her do a lot of things!She is 79 years old next year already.

Yes,i also think that.Maybe Her Majesty does not like to attend there because of these reasons.Firstly, at Weddings it usually very noisy and how old is Her Majesty?She is nearly 80.The old they do not like noisy.Secondly, nearly all other European Royals are younger than her so it is not easy in talking.It's true.

Vicomtesse said:
That's a snooty attitude for the Queen to have isn't? Some of the other royals are just as royal as her like Sofia, Beatrix, Margrethe. If they can all mix and mingle with each other so can Queen Elizabeth.

The truth is that the other royals are thr rightful monarchs of their countries but the Windsors are not the rightful royal family of Britain, that should be the Stuarts and the Windors know this. Somebody once said that the reason Elizabeth doesn't mix with the other monarchs is that she doesn't approve of their down to earth approach and their very human, "common" touch.

I think that the real "reason" is simply that she follows a kind of tradition.

In fact, she didn't attend funerals and weddings abroad even when she was younger, so the reason is not her age.
But she did attend royal (and NON-royal: remember Grovesnor-Van Custem) weddings when they took place in the UK, so the reason is not that she dislikes other royals.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Yes, i do not like them to complain about The Queen, she is not free. Other Royals they rarely have visit but The Queen not.She is not only have visit but also do some works more.She has to read Government documents,reports,sign papers....Do not let her do a lot of things!She is 79 years old next year already.
You don't think the other kings and queens don't do the same thing Queen Elizabeth does???
You don't think Margrethe, Albert, Harald, Henri, Carl Gustav, Juan Carlos and the others don't work as hard as Queen Elizabeth???
What kind of government documents, reports and papers does Queen Elizabeth sign??? Her monarchy is mostly SYMBOLIC. She signs papers just as a formality. She doesn't actually decide if those things should be law or not. TONY BLAIR decides those things.

Back
Top Bottom