The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1261  
Old 09-27-2018, 09:57 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/sunriseon...44489037828096

Something Harry and Meghan will need to be mindful about their stay in Australia.

While Charles and Camilla had a private stay in Australia before their tour their own expenses were payed for by them but their taff was put up in hotels and their food and upkeep was payed by taxpayers and taxpayers were billed $19000 for Charlies and Camilla's private stay.

Not a great story for the royals in the run up to Harry and Meghan's tour.
This is just lazy journalism, IMO, and a real non-issue. Costs of the accommodation for security agents and staff are always billed to the local government. Its very much part of the cost of the tour. Its not lavish or high living, just the expenses that come with the territory. Even if there were to be an elected President in Australia, these costs will be incurred.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1262  
Old 09-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,770
You're absolutely correct. The bill for overseas travel for any RPO is submitted directly to the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard. Its where their paychecks come from also.

It is also that department that sets up the guidelines of what is expected as far as accommodations, travel, expenses and how many hours on the job allowed.
In a few places that I've read, even if Harry's RPO flew with him to Toronto back when he was visiting Meghan, his RPOs (there's always more than just one) couldn't just stay at the motel at the end of the block but was required to be put up in a hotel meeting the standards set.

Its kind of amusing but I remember reading in a few places where the royal was accommodated overnight simply (a tent or friend's home) and the RPOs stayed at a 4 star hotel.

Its not the royal that calls the shot on this.
__________________

__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1263  
Old 01-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
You're absolutely correct. The bill for overseas travel for any RPO is submitted directly to the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard. Its where their paychecks come from also.

It is also that department that sets up the guidelines of what is expected as far as accommodations, travel, expenses and how many hours on the job allowed.
In a few places that I've read, even if Harry's RPO flew with him to Toronto back when he was visiting Meghan, his RPOs (there's always more than just one) couldn't just stay at the motel at the end of the block but was required to be put up in a hotel meeting the standards set.

Its kind of amusing but I remember reading in a few places where the royal was accommodated overnight simply (a tent or friend's home) and the RPOs stayed at a 4 star hotel.

Its not the royal that calls the shot on this.
I feel like some people overestimate just how much “free stuff” the royals get. When Will and Kate went to NY in 2014 it was St Andrews who accommodated then besides the security. Even on royal tours I don’t think the country accommodate EVERYTHING.
Reply With Quote
  #1264  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,770
Proves that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Foreign tours are requested government to government and the host country does provide mostly for the main essentials for their visiting guests. When there are certain factors that figure in, for example, President Trump and Air Force One, the cost of the transport is relegated to the US government along with the cost of everything from the Secret Service to the designer M&Ms on board Air Force One. This is a good article that relates to the costs incurred by Trump's short visit. Scroll down to the area talking about Air Force One.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Force-One.html

For the British royals, what needs to be paid for that the host country doesn't pay for such as wardrobe and other things, the Queen subsidizes expenses through the Sovereign Grant with the exception of the Cambridges and the Sussexes. Theirs are covered by The Prince of Wales.

The British royal family does not accept freebies whatsoever. Everything cost related to them are published in yearly reports which are usually found in this thread.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1265  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Proves that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Foreign tours are requested government to government and the host country does provide mostly for the main essentials for their visiting guests. When there are certain factors that figure in, for example, President Trump and Air Force One, the cost of the transport is relegated to the US government along with the cost of everything from the Secret Service to the designer M&Ms on board Air Force One. This is a good article that relates to the costs incurred by Trump's short visit. Scroll down to the area talking about Air Force One.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Force-One.html

For the British royals, what needs to be paid for that the host country doesn't pay for such as wardrobe and other things, the Queen subsidizes expenses through the Sovereign Grant with the exception of the Cambridges and the Sussexes. Theirs are covered by The Prince of Wales.

The British royal family does not accept freebies whatsoever. Everything cost related to them are published in yearly reports which are usually found in this thread.
So whenever the royals go on tours it’s the government who pays for their hotels their meals their transportation? I don’t think I understand what you are trying to say. Sorry. Well one time William went to a wedding somewhere and I think he and his staff came up with meeting the president and basically got the whole thing for free the airfare the accommodations ect... do royals cheat the system like that?
Reply With Quote
  #1266  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 3,977
Quote:
Well one time William went to a wedding somewhere and I think he and his staff came up with meeting the president and basically got the whole thing for free the airfare the accommodations ect... do royals cheat the system like that?

Hi Kitty1224, Would you happen to know when and where this wedding took place and which president William reportedly met with before/after the wedding?
Reply With Quote
  #1267  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,770
What I've described in my previous post was how those official foreign tours the British royals take on as representatives of the Queen. Its not up to the royals themselves to pick and choose. A government of country will request a visit to the government of the UK's Foreign Office and then the request given to the Queen, herself, and from there, they decide who fits the bill the best to do the visit. The Queen no longer does any foreign travel or tours so she sends a representative(s).

A lot of times, things will be planned to include more than the "official" representative roles. For example, Harry and Meghan's recent tour of Down Under. Harry was slated to be in Australia even before they announced an engagement because of his involvement with the Invictus Games (which is under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex). This wasn't part of the "official" tour and in fact, the "official" tour part came about as it made sense if Harry and Meghan were going to be Down Under, why not make the most of it.

In the case you presented of William attending a wedding and also meeting with a president, I think that its more of grabbing an opportunity rather than cheating the system. William is going to (for example) Tasmania for a friend's wedding. Like with Harry and Meghan, it provides an opportunity to also have a "soft diplomacy" meeting with the president of Tasmania. Making the best of the time allowed.

This happens all the time. The finances of it all is worked out. One thing though is that all the British royals consider what they do for the Queen or for their charities and organizations as "work" and are funded as such. They, also, are not above for paying their own way for their own private travels. Everything though that is "work" is itemized and accounted for and made public each year.

One thing too that needs to be remembered is that with these British royals being full time working for the "Firm" and their charities, they do *not* get a paycheck at all from anywhere. They work for free. That's why the Queen has the Sovereign Grant and why The Prince of Wales subsidizes the work the Cambridges and the Sussexes do (along with their office and staff) from his income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

And.....the Queen and The Prince of Wales pay income tax on their private income (the Queen's is the Duchy of Lancaster).

I'm no expert at all of this and there are many here on these forums that know much more than I do and will correct me if I'm wrong on anything. I depend on that. Its how I check off my "learn something new everyday" box.


So... ask yourself a question. How many people do you know that would do the kind of things these royals do without a paycheck? Most people still believe that the British royal family gets money from a Civil List (or in other countries it would be called an apanage). Wouldn't it make sense that they do take advantage of what works to allow them to do what they do? At the end of the day, they work a lot for crown and country and its people but don't charge them a dime.

One more thing. It wouldn't have been William and his staff that would have come up with having a meeting with a president of a country. All of that would have been handled by the Foreign Office (government). Back in 2011 before William's wedding, William wanted to pay a visit to New Zealand and to Australia following the natural disasters in both countries. He couldn't just decide to up and go. He made his wishes known to his grandmother and it was worked out through the Foreign Office that then contacted the required countries and they issued the "invitation" to William. Then it would be an official visit as a representative of the Queen. William, at the time, was still in the RAF flying search and rescue and it just all fit that he would go. I remember this well because of one report that did come out from it. William met with some of the people that were severely affected by the disasters and talking with them, he said "Just call me William".
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1268  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post



Hi Kitty1224, Would you happen to know when and where this wedding took place and which president William reportedly met with before/after the wedding?
It was Kenya. I believe he attended a friends wedding.
Reply With Quote
  #1269  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What I've described in my previous post was how those official foreign tours the British royals take on as representatives of the Queen. Its not up to the royals themselves to pick and choose. A government of country will request a visit to the government of the UK's Foreign Office and then the request given to the Queen, herself, and from there, they decide who fits the bill the best to do the visit. The Queen no longer does any foreign travel or tours so she sends a representative(s).

A lot of times, things will be planned to include more than the "official" representative roles. For example, Harry and Meghan's recent tour of Down Under. Harry was slated to be in Australia even before they announced an engagement because of his involvement with the Invictus Games (which is under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex). This wasn't part of the "official" tour and in fact, the "official" tour part came about as it made sense if Harry and Meghan were going to be Down Under, why not make the most of it.

In the case you presented of William attending a wedding and also meeting with a president, I think that its more of grabbing an opportunity rather than cheating the system. William is going to (for example) Tasmania for a friend's wedding. Like with Harry and Meghan, it provides an opportunity to also have a "soft diplomacy" meeting with the president of Tasmania. Making the best of the time allowed.

This happens all the time. The finances of it all is worked out. One thing though is that all the British royals consider what they do for the Queen or for their charities and organizations as "work" and are funded as such. They, also, are not above for paying their own way for their own private travels. Everything though that is "work" is itemized and accounted for and made public each year.

One thing too that needs to be remembered is that with these British royals being full time working for the "Firm" and their charities, they do *not* get a paycheck at all from anywhere. They work for free. That's why the Queen has the Sovereign Grant and why The Prince of Wales subsidizes the work the Cambridges and the Sussexes do (along with their office and staff) from his income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

And.....the Queen and The Prince of Wales pay income tax on their private income (the Queen's is the Duchy of Lancaster).

I'm no expert at all of this and there are many here on these forums that know much more than I do and will correct me if I'm wrong on anything. I depend on that. Its how I check off my "learn something new everyday" box.


So... ask yourself a question. How many people do you know that would do the kind of things these royals do without a paycheck? Most people still believe that the British royal family gets money from a Civil List (or in other countries it would be called an apanage). Wouldn't it make sense that they do take advantage of what works to allow them to do what they do? At the end of the day, they work a lot for crown and country and its people but don't charge them a dime.
Sometimes it’s the foreign office themselves who request a country the royals should visit. Not always the countries itself asking for a royal visit.
Then why did St Andrews foot the bill for William and Catherine for the 2 day NY trip?

Basically what you are saying is that if for example Kate wanted to go to DC to go to a friends babyshower but don’t want to “pay for anything” the staff would come up with an intinerary and make it an official visit?

I must say the royals have it good then the celebrities because the royals don’t have to pay for anything for their “work”. Their private lives though is the same.
Reply With Quote
  #1270  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
It was Kenya. I believe he attended a friends wedding.
Thank you. Yes it was in 2016. He did an engagement on behalf of his patronage Tusk Trust and met with the President of Kenya at the request of the British government. At the end of the visit he did attend the wedding of his long time friend Jecca Craig to Jonathan Baillie.



https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/0...n_9565456.html


Quote:
he Duke of Cambridge spent most of his Easter weekend in Africa for both business and pleasure.At the start of his four-day trip, the 33-year-old prince met with the President of Kenya, and spent time at elephant and rhino conservation Tusk Trust, a charity he is involved with.
Reply With Quote
  #1271  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Sometimes it’s the foreign office themselves who request a country the royals should visit. Not always the countries itself asking for a royal visit.
Then why did St Andrews foot the bill for William and Catherine for the 2 day NY trip?

Basically what you are saying is that if for example Kate wanted to go to DC to go to a friends babyshower but don’t want to “pay for anything” the staff would come up with an intinerary and make it an official visit?

I must say the royals have it good then the celebrities because the royals don’t have to pay for anything for their “work”. Their private lives though is the same.
For one, it wouldn't be Kate's staff that comes up with anything. In order to have anything "official" and paid for by the UK government, it has to be approved by them. It has to be something that would be of value to the diplomatic angle, the aims and ways and means where the government wants to go and all that happy horse hockey.

The difference here too is that celebrities get paid for what they do. They make millions. The royals get paid zilch.

I've added onto my previous post too and explained things more.

This is a fantastic conversation, I think. One thing its made me realize is just how much of these royal's lives are public. Its what we see. We don't get reports on private trips and goings on that these people do in private as its actually their private lives and we *know* the British royals have drawn a thick red line in the sand on that that and hung a HUGE sign saying "Do Not Attempt To Cross".

Y'know, Harry and Meghan could have decided to walk away from it all, built a yurt somewhere in Africa and lived happily ever after if they chose to. This is where the sense of duty comes in. Duty is the main thing with the British royal family and not who pays for what and when.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1272  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Sometimes it’s the foreign office themselves who request a country the royals should visit. Not always the countries itself asking for a royal visit.
Then why did St Andrews foot the bill for William and Catherine for the 2 day NY trip?

Basically what you are saying is that if for example Kate wanted to go to DC to go to a friends babyshower but don’t want to “pay for anything” the staff would come up with an intinerary and make it an official visit?

I must say the royals have it good then the celebrities because the royals don’t have to pay for anything for their “work”. Their private lives though is the same.
OK. There's another angle to this. If Kate were to do so in any way, shape or form that would get the government to "fork over the dough" for her going to a baby shower in D.C. there's a downside to it that Kate wouldn't really like too much. It would then be a public event and the Daily Fail would be following her like vampires for the "scoop". I don't think she'd like that too much.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1273  
Old 01-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Sometimes it’s the foreign office themselves who request a country the royals should visit. Not always the countries itself asking for a royal visit.
Then why did St Andrews foot the bill for William and Catherine for the 2 day NY trip?

Basically what you are saying is that if for example Kate wanted to go to DC to go to a friends babyshower but don’t want to “pay for anything” the staff would come up with an intinerary and make it an official visit?

I must say the royals have it good then the celebrities because the royals don’t have to pay for anything for their “work”. Their private lives though is the same.

It's not as simple as "a royal wants to do go on a trip for their personal life and therefore makes up a reason to make it an official trip so they don't have to pay for it." It's a lot more complicated than that.


Typically, there is no crossover between personal, private trips, and official ones, for the simple reasons of it makes finances tricky. British royals are even criticized if they leave an official trip to go directly to a personal one or vis versa (it happens sometimes, but is criticized), because of the financial issue.


There definitely are times when a royal says "I want to go to X place" or "I'm going to X place" and it's up to their staff to figure out if a trip is possible, or how to make the most out of a trip. This is what happened when William went to New Zealand and Australia in 2011 (he wanted to go there after the earthquake in New Zealand, and after getting approval and invitations from the governments involved, his staff planned a full tour), and what happened recently with Harry and Meghan's tour (Harry was going to be there for Invictus, and after getting approval and invitations from the governments involved, their staff planned a full tour). These times the bill is paid for by the governments involved (when British royals visit Commonwealth realms, but I would assume that when they're visiting countries that aren't Commonwealth realms, the British government pays)



There are also times, like when William visited Kenya for Jecca Craig, where the government will go "hey, you're going to place X, while you're there can you do this?"William's trip in 2016 was labelled a private one, so in all likelihood he was the one paying for it, not the British government. He met with President Kenyatta in the morning and had a discussion with him, but there's no reason to believe that the government paid for the trip as a whole just for one meeting.


The St Andrews' trip to New York was probably the first example; St Andrews invited the couple to attend a fundraiser and paid for their trip (not an uncommon thing to happen with high profile alumni), and the Cambridges told their staff that they'd be in New York for a few days and asked them to make a mini-tour of it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Costs and Finances of the Belgian Royal Family Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 92 08-20-2018 03:06 PM
Wealth and Finances of the Spanish Royal Family hrhcp Royal Family of Spain 156 04-06-2018 08:21 PM
Royals & Nobles and Wealth, Costs and Finances kcc Royal Life and Lifestyle 413 04-17-2017 06:46 PM
Wealth of The German Royal/Princely Houses kcc Royal Families of Austria and Germany 12 12-30-2007 04:35 AM




Popular Tags
aif australia bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig british royal family camilla charles china clothes countess of wessex crown princess victoria current events danish royal family de belgique denmark duchess of cornwall duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of edinburgh fashion felipe and letizia forum germany gordon harry and meghan hasnat khan head of the house interesting facts jacobite juan carlos king felipe king felipe vi lineage meghan markle member norwegian royal family patron plantagenets porphyria prince aymeric prince charles prince harry prince harry of wales princenapoleon princess princess anne princess beatrice princess diana princess eugenie princess of belgium public image queen elisabeth queen maxima relationship remarriage royal royal ancestry royal ancestry; oscar and sophia royal family royal geneology royal wedding sarah duchess of york state visit sweden tom bower tradition viscount severn wedding wedding of prince harry windsor castle ww1



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises