The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
In my country there are two property taxes as well: the Taxe Foncière on the rental value of the property (Valeur Locative Cadestral) and the Taxe d'Habitation which is paid by, the name already says it, the inhabitants of a property (no matter rented or owned). Als in my country of origin (the Netherlands) these two taxes exist, so it does not really sound outrageous in my ears, to be honest.

We are not talking about taxes on rental properties. This tax will hit a lot of hard working families in the London area who will get hit because their family home is now valued over the £2m limit, even though they bought it for a lot less, have not sold it, and derive no income from it. They already pay council tax on it. All this will do is depress prices of £2-3m homes in the London area.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Serene Highness

I think the Crown whose residences [In London & Edinburgh at least] are official, and part of the job should be exempt.
The Private residences will obviously, be taxed, should this punitive, 'class war', legislation be enacted..

Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

This is brilliant - Frequent Q&A's re Sovereign Grant and payments to the BRF.

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Sovereign Grant Act: frequently asked questions relating to the Act and on general issues - HM Treasury

I've not seen this before so apologies if this is a repeat

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here as I feel that it is the closest thread to the topic of the article - please feel free to move if this is in the incorrect thread.

Quote:
The Queen and the royal family will have to pay a mansion tax on their portfolio of country estates if Labour is elected, Ed Balls has said.
The shadow chancellor said that royals will not be exempt and will have to pay the taxes "just like everyone else" for properties which are not open to the public.
The Queen has paid income tax and capital gains tax for decades, but she and the Royal family are likely to be hit significantly harder by a mansion tax.
Ed Balls: Queen and Duchess of Cambridge will pay Labour's mansion tax - Telegraph

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Nobility

I was wondering if the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall are solely for the purposes of financing the work of The Queen and Charles (and their respective families) meaning everything has to be accounted for, or can the remainder be kept by the recipient to spend on whatever they want? In other words, can the Duchies fund their private lives or just their Royal working lives?
Old 10-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchy of Lancaster not only provides the Queen with her private income but also funds the official duties of the Duke of York, the Earl of Wessex, the Princess Royal and several other members of the Royal family.

The Sovereign Grant is provided to the Queen to cover her official duties including maintenance and upkeep of the occupied royal palaces, official travel and to pay her staff.

The Queen voluntarily pays income tax on revenue she received from the Duchy, which is exempt from corporation tax.

The Duchy of Cornwall provides an income to Charles for both official and private duties and he in turn uses this money to support Camilla, William, Kate and Harry as well as Prince George.

Charles voluntarily pays income tax on revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Remember that The Queen doesn't get a 'salary' as such so she needs a private income for basic things like food and clothes.

The Sovereign Grant covers the official costs of the Head of State. Other countries pay their Heads of State a salary to do the job but the British don't. In the Middle Ages the Duchies were established to separate the private income of the monarch from the then income of the Crown Estates which was to be used to run the country.

George III arranged the situation whereby the government received the income from the Crown Estates and paid him some of that for his official duties - formerly known as the Civil List. This figure was set at the beginning of each reign and until QEII was not increased during the reign. When most young royals reached 21 or married, in the case of the girls, they were then voted an amount as part of the Civil List e.g. Prince Albert was voted 10,000 pounds (and Queen Victoria was angry as earlier consorts had been given 50,000 pounds). The Queen decided - with a lot of pressure from the public and the government of the day - to repay the Civil List payments of everyone except herself, Philip and The Queen Mother - in 1992 and also decided that she should pay tax on the Duchy of Lancaster.

Charles was paying tax voluntarily on the Cornwall estate from when he took control - it was reportedly at 50% before he married Diana when he reduced it to 25% to cover her costs and then again in 1992 was encouraged to pay the correct amount for the income.

Over the years the government also paid for the maintenance of the occupied royal palaces but the body they set up actually decided what would be done each year and it wasn't necessarily what was the most important. It also didn't keep pace with the costs of maintenance and the maintenance bill is now about 30 million pounds behind.

In 2012 the parliament changed the system again - whereby the Sovereign Grant came into being with one amount paid to cover what used to be covered by the Civil List and the maintenance of the royal palaces with the monarch able to decide exactly what needs to be done - hence the decision to spend 4 million on upgrading Apartment 1A at KP over doing some other maintenance would have been made by the Queen.

The Sovereign Grant covers expenses such as the upcoming State Visit, the salaries of The Queen and Philip's secretaries who assist them in their official duties along with other such staff but not their personal staff.

The Sovereign Grant has to be accounted for directly - to the last penny - and is presented annually for scrutiny but The Queen doesn't open the books from the Duchy of Lancaster although Charles does for the Duchy of Cornwall (up to a point - we don't get the nitty-gritty of the private budget but we do get the figures for the public expenses of his family).
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Royal Highness

Outrage as Scots 'rob' the Queen of £2.1 million with vow to hold rights to Crown Estates including Tobermory Waterfront, off-shore windfarms | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

Europe's wealthiest royals revealed but the richest family isn't one you'd expect! | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The Dutch are only "most expensive" because they are the "most transparent". All possible costs, from the official website to the royal flight, from the King's treasury office to the guards outside, from the maintenance of the palaces to the royal forestry, all possible costs are enlisted. Before that these costs were fragmented over many departments in the State Budget, which is still the case in many monarchies. An intelligent person calculating what the upkeep is of Europe's largest palace (Madrid), the various other residences like El Pardo, Zarzuela and Marivent, the royal flight, the transportation, the security, etc. will conclude that the ultra-low "costs" of the Spanish monarchy are only because a lot is not included at all. The same counts for the British monarchy: the revenues from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall should be added to the costs of the monarchy. After all these incomes go to the Queen and the Prince of Wales, and not to the British taxpayers.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Royal Highness

Just how is the Royal Family funded?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Nobility

It seems unfair that in this day and age, that individuals should be given access to more money in a year than the average person will earn in a lifetime. I realise the royals have to be funded adequately, but when Prince Charles is able to spend £1m a year on gardening a year this is unnecessary luxury. It would be fairer to merge the two royal duchies with the Crown Estates.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It seems unfair that in this day and age, that individuals should be given access to more money in a year than the average person will earn in a lifetime. I realise the royals have to be funded adequately, but when Prince Charles is able to spend £1m a year on gardening a year this is unnecessary luxury. It would be fairer to merge the two royal duchies with the Crown Estates.
I dont know where this figure comes from but this amount would mainly be staff, including overheads such as NI and pension. The gardens are open to the public and are extensive. It might also include those market garden areas that produce stuff to sell in the local shop.

So I suppose he could cut back as you suggest and then he would get criticised for making people redundant.

EDIT: Also meant to add that it supports apprenticeships

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Along with cepe's post, I'd like to add that the gardens oi Highgrove not only are open to the public for tours as stated, but I believe the gardens also provide the resources that go into the items sold by the Duchy called Duchy Originals. Charles has pretty much made Highgrove to be a working example of sustainability. Although his income is provided by the Duchy of Cornwall, he voluntarily pays taxes on what he receives as does the Queen with the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles is also a very astute businessman and probably has made investments that have served him well over the years.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-13-2015, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Highgrove has its own product line in its shop (I recently bought some things on-line) including toiletries and honey/jams etc, some of the ingredients of which come from the Highgrove estate and surrounding areas. Profits from the sales from Highgrove (along with the Duchy) all go to The Prince's Charities.
Personally, the more money spent on staff, such as gardeners, the better - it is employment for people, staff wages are taxed, staff spend money on consumables that are taxed and it all ends up in government spending again.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The same counts for the British monarchy: the revenues from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall should be added to the costs of the monarchy. After all these incomes go to the Queen and the Prince of Wales, and not to the British taxpayers.
The income from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall are the private income of the monarch and heir. They are not funding from the state. Why should they be added to the cost of the monarchy?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The income from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall are the private income of the monarch and heir. They are not funding from the state. Why should they be added to the cost of the monarchy?
Of course they are not funded from the state. But it would be more straightforward and some would say fairer to fund the monarchy in its entirety (including all the personal expenses of all family members) from the Crown Estates. The revenue from the duchies could be used to fund other worthwhile causes.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchies were specifically split off from the precursor of the Crown Estate to provide the private income of the monarch and the heir to the throne - separate from the official expenses of the government, including the monarch that are funded by the Crown Estates as such.

To put them back together would undo about 700 years of history and tradition and wouldn't really save any money as the same amount would still have to be given. The Sovereign Grant doesn't cover the official expenses of many members of the family nor does it cover the private expenses but ... having only one 'fund' would lead to greater allegations of the taxpayers paying for their luxurious lifestyle rather than being able to separate what the taxpayers pay and what comes to them as landlords etc and thus from the duchies.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:39 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Of course they are not funded from the state. But it would be more straightforward and some would say fairer to fund the monarchy in its entirety (including all the personal expenses of all family members) from the Crown Estates. The revenue from the duchies could be used to fund other worthwhile causes.

Once upon a time all the Crown Estates and revenues from the duchies were the income and property of the royal family. Over the years, things changed with the institution of a constitutional monarchy and agreements were reached between the government and the royal family on how things shall be. We've just seen the latest in the Sovereign Grant and how the Crown Estates funds the working side of the monarchy from the yearly profits excluding the Prince of Wales and his family. As I see it now, the Duchy of Cornwall can and does support worthwhile charities, provides income to the Prince of Wales and his family (which he pays taxes on like every other British citizen). Through these monies that Charles receives from the yearly profits (correct me if I'm wrong on this angle) and using his own pension from the Royal Navy, not only does Charles support the working roles of his family but also has established over decades many, many trusts, charities and patronages and causes all geared to benefit the people and the country they live in. Although the Queen and Charles receive income from their duchies, the duchies themselves are entities separate from the Queen and Charles and are not totally under their control. More importantly, the Queen and Charles voluntarily pay taxes on this income back into the tax collector's pot. I find it kind of amusing when people say the royal family is funded by the taxpayer and it only cost a taxpayer X amount of pence a year. In this regard, even the Queen and Charles pay into this fund. I would bet my last sloppy joe that the amount they pay in taxes far surpasses the amount in taxes paid by the average taxpayer too.

The British royal family has their own personal wealth which has nothing to do with the monarchy through inheritances, trust funds, investments and land holdings and who knows what else. I'm sure many very healthy investments have been made over the years and none of them would be penniless and on the dole so to speak should things change and the UK becomes a republic.

ETA: Ok.. The duchies provide private income. Got it. Still a bit fuzzy here as I just woke up from a long nap to rest up for a good night's sleep.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-14-2015, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Because the profits of both Duchies are enjoyed by the Royal House and not by the Exchequer on behalf of the British Nation. It is the same as there would have been a charter saying: "Any profits from the sale of London parks go to the maintenance of Prince George". This money will be missed by the Exchequer or the City of London and so then taxpayers are indirectly funding Prince George.

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances