Royal Wealth and Finances 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the royals be happy to fade in the background when their role is to be public figures?

Well most of the family are fairly private, but privileged. The main working royals are the ones in the public eye.

What I was responding to was the suggestion that it would somehow hurt the royals if the monarchy were to end. It's not really clear how something like that would look if it happened. My main point is that I think the royals would simply just get on with their lives, and some pressure maybe would be lifted from them as well. It's not exactly that great to not have a choice of what to do with your life, which is what heirs to the throne are confronted with. William has struggled with it a bit. He would have much preferred to continue his air ambulance career as a helicopter pilot.

Well most of the family are fairly private, but privileged. The main working royals are the ones in the public eye.

What I was responding to was the suggestion that it would somehow hurt the royals if the monarchy were to end. It's not really clear how something like that would look if it happened. My main point is that I think the royals would simply just get on with their lives, and some pressure maybe would be lifted from them as well. It's not exactly that great to not have a choice of what to do with your life, which is what heirs to the throne are confronted with. William has struggled with it a bit. He would have much preferred to continue his air ambulance career as a helicopter pilot.
I'm sure that some of them would be alright and have long, fruitful lives if the monarchy, God forbid, was to come to an end, but what you fail to see is that they've spent their whole lives believing in what monarchy is about, what it means and signifies to a country and it's people. This is their life and I'm sure many of them would be lost without it since a monarchy couldn't go on if those involved didn't truly believe in the benefits of it. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden said in an interview that monarchy is something she truly believes in and we have pretenders all over Europe doing their best to keep their legacies alive. Not for their own sake, but because they see the benefits of it. Prince Philip said in a speech he made that there's no point in upholding the monarchy for its own sake, but only if it benefited the people it represents and I'd say that as long as the royals themselves believe this to be the case the fall of the monarchy would be a stab at the heart of many of them.

I care- because in some ways it is crummy that much of their lives is preordained.
William did good as an air ambulance pilot and liked his job, but had to give it up. If he were in Eugenie’s position rather than the future King, he could still be doing that job.

Yes it's true. And William was happy to do that job. But I think William is going to be a good king.

I'm sure that some of them would be alright and have long, fruitful lives if the monarchy, God forbid, was to come to an end, but what you fail to see is that they've spent their whole lives believing in what monarchy is about, what it means and signifies to a country and it's people. This is their life and I'm sure many of them would be lost without it since a monarchy couldn't go on if those involved didn't truly believe in the benefits of it. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden said in an interview that monarchy is something she truly believes in and we have pretenders all over Europe doing their best to keep their legacies alive. Not for their own sake, but because they see the benefits of it. Prince Philip said in a speech he made that there's no point in upholding the monarchy for its own sake, but only if it benefited the people it represents and I'd say that as long as the royals themselves believe this to be the case the fall of the monarchy would be a stab at the heart of many of them.

It is true. Because they dedicate their lives to serving the monarchy and its people. And many kings and princes look upon it as a mission.
The British monarchy in particular has always reinvented itself and has found good solutions to overcome the obstacles that have come its way.
I am a royalist and I can not imagine England without the Royal Family and the Monarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...] I actually agree. Turning up for day-to-day events in super expensive (foreign) designer clothing doesn't sit too well and it's not something I think other royal women usually do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...eeds-rein-massively-extravagant-spending.html

Veteran royal expert Jennie Bond has warned the Duchess of Sussex needs to rein in 'massively extravagant' spending as 'it doesn’t play very well' with the British public.

"The key thing about royals is to be understaed. We all know that they're royal, we all know that they're very wealthy. But the absolutely number one rule is don't rub the British people's noses in your wealth."

[...] I actually agree. Turning up for day-to-day events in super expensive (foreign) designer clothing doesn't sit too well and it's not something I think other royal women usually do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...eeds-rein-massively-extravagant-spending.html

Most BRF women, with the exception of Princess Anne, turn up to day to day engagements with expensive clothing. There are times where there are exceptions, as there has been with Meghan. But it’s not unusual.

And of course, the likes of DM is always available to inflate and double, triple, and so on, count things to make the numbers more sensational.

Most BRF women, with the exception of Princess Anne, turn up to day to day engagements with expensive clothing. There are times where there are exceptions, as there has been with Meghan. But it’s not unusual.

And of course, the likes of DM is always available to inflate and double, triple, and so on, count things to make the numbers more sensational.

Princess Anne recycles her clothing, it is not unknown for her to turn out in an outfit first worn a number of years ago. No idea what she paid for them in the first place but she does get her money's worth out of them.

Really? Go take a look at Sophie Wessex fashion blog. Almost every look she wears you will find high end foreign brands mixed in if not all. Gucci, channel, Tiffany, Prada.

And Kate has been adding more and more high end foreign brands as well.

Beyond Givenchy, Meghan’s foreign brands don’t tend to be the pricy high end ones. Sometimes but not the rule. She wears a lot of Canadian brands that are equivalent of high street and as Canadian is.
commonwealth it’s not foreign. Givenchy is supporting British talent.

Even Camilla has the odd foreign brand added in.

I think "odd foreign brand added in" is the key to this argument that has been ongoing for a year now.

And I think her point is that it’s lower for Camilla versus the younger royals.

Btw, another thing people like to overlook is that since the beginning of this year, a number of her “foreign” items came from William Vintage rather than the houses themselves. As those are item produced decades ago, the only one benefitting from it is William Vintage, which is a British business, owned by Brit, and all that. It seems odd that context seem to fly over people’s heads when criticizing her for foreign brands.

Last edited:
Princess Anne recycles her clothing, it is not unknown for her to turn out in an outfit first worn a number of years ago. No idea what she paid for them in the first place but she does get her money's worth out of them.
If I haven't seen any recycled clothes within the next five years, then I will moan. At present, she is just starting out but I don't think anyone is going to catch up with Anne.

Fascinating how the rules are different for Meghan. I can’t imagine why...

Not quite.

This is a conversation that has been had many a time, and I don't particularly want to repeat it but will try and keep it as brief as possible. The problem is that unlike Sophie, Catherine and Camilla, Meghan's working wardrobe has largely been foreign designer brands, with the odd piece by a British fashion house thrown in ever so often. That obviously does not go down well. There are no differing standards, just facts. And whilst we are at it, Canadian and other Commonwealth brands are just as foreign as Givenchy, Dior and Prada as the British economy is concerned.

Last edited:
Not quite.

This is a conversation that has been had many a time, and I don't particularly want to repeat it but will try and keep it as brief as possible. The problem is that unlike Sophie, Catherine and Camilla, Meghan's working wardrobe has largely been foreign designer brands, with the odd piece by a British fashion house thrown in ever so often. That obviously does not go down well. There are no differing standards, just facts. And whilst we are at it, Canadian and other Commonwealth brands are just as foreign as Givenchy, Dior and Prada as the British economy is concerned.

In general I feel like the 'British fashion house' theme is just an excuse to complain about Meghan. The same with being dismissive of the Commonwealth, which is clearly very important to the Queen and it plays a pivotal part in Harry/Meghan's role in the BRF. The British economy is not going to thrive in a silo, especially with Brexit lingering out there. There needs to be relationships built and sustained with other countries isn’t that one of the reasons they had Harry and 7.5 month pregnant Meghan touring to Mocorrco and Charles/Camilla doing the Caribbean tour? Yes fashion is just a small piece of the overall economy but it is something that can be used to increase the UK on a global scale. Not to mention some of the British designers were mouthing off about Meghan and her wedding dress that doesn’t exactly build a strong relationship with someone who can expand your brand.

I also like that Meghan’s casual fashion usually has a meaning behind it. Jeans that support women who were trafficked, items made from recycled materials etc. Not to mention she is more willing to take risks with her fashion something that seems to be lacking with many British fashion houses of late; if we use Catherine/Sophie/Camilla’s styles as examples; which sometimes can be very boring.

Not quite.

I’m not sure this is about the fashion brands, Meghan, is wearing. I believe this is about the media wanting to “other” Meghan. Some can’t get over the fact that she’s American and a former Hollywood actress. They can’t bring their heads around that, so they want her to dull herself down and her wardrobe to make herself acceptable in their eyes. They want to change her. Turn her into a pill they’re willing to swallow.

Last edited:
I’m not sure this is about the fashion brands, Meghan, is wearing. I believe this is about the media wanting to “other” Meghan. Some can’t get over the fact that she’s American and a former Hollywood actress. They can’t bring their heads around that, so they want her to dull herself down and her wardrobe to make herself acceptable in their eyes. They want to change her.

Even if one were to accept that the Press were gunning for Meghan for being American, a former actress, a divorcee, a person of colour and any other label that could potentially be attached, the fact is that supporting British business interests is a very core part of what the BRF do, and the ladies of the the BRF do by appearing in clothing by British businesses. Meghan's unwillingness to wear British most of the time is an easy point for the press (and public, to the extent they care) to criticise her, and she can very easily take that away from them.

Going back to the Jennie Bond article where this conversation started yesterday, but wearing a nearly £100,000 gown (as was widely reported at the time) by a foreign fashion house once whilst on an official visit to a foreign country or a £50,000 gown for an engagement fashion shoot is hardly the sort of thing that is likely to endear her to the great British public, IMO.

Even if one were to accept that the Press were gunning for Meghan for being American, a former actress, a divorcee, a person of colour and any other label that could potentially be attached, the fact is that supporting British business interests is a very core part of what the BRF do, and the ladies of the the BRF do by appearing in clothing by British businesses. Meghan's unwillingness to wear British most of the time is an easy point for the press (and public, to the extent they care) to criticise her, and she can very easily take that away from them.

Going back to the Jennie Bond article where this conversation started yesterday, but wearing a nearly £100,000 gown (as was widely reported at the time) by a foreign fashion house once whilst on an official visit to a foreign country or a £50,000 gown for an engagement fashion shoot is hardly the sort of thing that is likely to endear her to the great British public, IMO.

Meghan can show up somewhere wearing the Union Jack and she’ll still not be the pill some folks are willing to swallow. It’s as Royal Biographer, Ingrid Seward, said most recently, that some would’ve preferred Harry had married an English Rose.

She’s being punished for who she is. She can’t change that nor should she. Some folks just have to learn to accept, Meghan, for being, Meghan.

Last edited:
Kate and Sophie have run up a clothing tab themselvyes and they are not 100% British brands. Unless they are part of this conversation Jennie Bond can go somewhere and sit down when it comes to Meghan.

DM has a new hit piece on Meghan, claiming Philip told Harry not to marry Meghan because she's an actress

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ne-steps-actresses-one-doesnt-marry-them.html

Allegedly Phillip had a string of hookups with women of the entertainment industry on the queen's watch. Some say Harry and William should have marry from the aristocracy. At the end of the day the queen has the final say by law who the first to the sixth in line to the throne marries.

Muriel is right. The British public will be much more supportive of any BRF member who buys British so the more they do it, the more plaudits they receive. Similarly, when visiting a Commonwealth Realm country, BRF members have praise heaped upon them when they buy or wear local products. We and they are the people that our Queen reigns over. She is our monarch & we appreciate her working family supporting our economies. We are not the media so please don't assume that they speak for us at all times. The vast majority of us are not bigots or jingoistic so we have no problem with our working BRF wearing foreign brands sometimes but we expect the balance to be weighted towards British brands, which isn't unreasonable.

Meghan has plenty of time ahead of her to get this right & I sincerely hope she does because she's already showing how influential she can be & it's to her credit that she seeks out vintage items & small British companies to support (eg the handbag & jeans). If she does more of that & reduces the new pieces by houses like Givenchy, she'll be on the right track & Brits will praise her for it.

Muriel is right. The British public will be much more supportive of any BRF member who buys British so the more they do it, the more plaudits they receive. Similarly, when visiting a Commonwealth Realm country, BRF members have praise heaped upon them when they buy or wear local products. We and they are the people that our Queen reigns over. She is our monarch & we appreciate her working family supporting our economies. We are not the media so please don't assume that they speak for us at all times. The vast majority of us are not bigots or jingoistic so we have no problem with our working BRF wearing foreign brands sometimes but we expect the balance to be weighted towards British brands, which isn't unreasonable.

Meghan has plenty of time ahead of her to get this right & I sincerely hope she does because she's already showing how influential she can be & it's to her credit that she seeks out vintage items & small British companies to support (eg the handbag & jeans). If she does more of that & reduces the new pieces by houses like Givenchy, she'll be on the right track & Brits will praise her for it.

From the mass crowds that greet, Meghan, whenever she’s out and about with them...they accept her. It’s part of the British press and some folks online that don’t accept her.

From the mass crowds that greet, Meghan, whenever she’s out and about with them...they accept her. It’s part of the British press and some folks online that don’t accept her.

Yes I think she's popular here but she opens herself to becoming less popular if she doesn't get the balance right with the clothes purchases. It's such a simple thing to do in order to show she supports British brands. All those people out there greeting & waving don't have BRF wealth. They rely on our economy doing well & Meghan can easily show she understands this & fly the flag for Britain more, which is what we expect our royal ambassadors to do. She's not a celebrity, she's a working royal and supporting British industry & the economy is part of her job now.

Yes I think she's popular here but she opens herself to becoming less popular if she doesn't get the balance right with the clothes purchases. It's such a simple thing to do in order to show she supports British brands. All those people out there greeting & waving don't have BRF wealth. They rely on our economy doing well & Meghan can easily show she understands this & fly the flag for Britain more, which is what we expect our royal ambassadors to do. She's not a celebrity, she's a working royal and supporting British industry & the economy is part of her job now.

I’m sure she’ll wear even more British brands when she sees something she like. She already wear those silly fascinators. Stuff that looks like a bird built a nest on one’s head.

The clothes aren’t going to bring her closer to the people. Her work as a senior royal, her charitable efforts and her kindness and respectability will. Folks just have to be willing to stop punishing her for being her.

Last edited:
I’m sure she’ll wear even more British brands when she sees something she like.

Thankfully, we have a large and creative fashion industry that should cover most tastes.

Thankfully, we have a large and creative fashion industry that should cover most tastes.

She already developed her own fashionable taste. She do wear some British wear. She also have her own clothes that she brought with her too.

It is really funny. Like I said in an earlier post back in the 90's and early 2000s, John Galliano was touted as the second coming of Christ in the British Fashion Industry and in the UK media. Though he had his own label, it was his stunts at Givenchy oh what a surprise for a year and Dior for 15 years that made him an icon and household name. Over that period he was named British Designer of the Year 4 times, and in a 2004 poll for the BBC,he was named the fifth most influential person in British culture. Given the rational presented here, he shouldn't have received these kind of acclaim, i mean Dior and Givenchy are french

Well Clare Waight Keller was feted by the British Fashion Council. The British Fashion Council awarded her with British Womenswear Designer of the Year honour. If there is an entity entitled to talk about the British Fashion industry, it is the British Fashion Council. Their opinion is certainly more qualified

Meghan has developed a relationship with a British Designer who happens to be the Artistic Director of fashion house named Givenchy, and she supporting her end of story.

If we were to follow your [...] thought processes, no more champagne at Banquets at Buckingham or Windsor. Last time I checked Veuve Clicquot, Don Perignon, or Pol Roger are all French. No more Chateau Petrus and Chateau Margot. These are french wines. No more Menu at royal banquets written in French. By the same token go change the motto of the order of the garter "Honi soit qui mal y pense", it is in French and by he way it should be honni with 2 "n" in correct French, and get rid of Dieu est mon Droit” too.

Enough already

Last time I checked this forum was for open discussion and debate, and to express our own personal opinions. This story is going to keep appearing, as the “numbers” articles appear for all royal wives frequently.

So I don’t think we’ll “give it a rest”, whilst I appreciate some might be tired of the conversation, others aren’t and we are all allowed to express our opinions on the matter in hand.

If she does more of that & reduces the new pieces by houses like Givenchy, she'll be on the right track & Brits will praise her for it.
On the other hand, if Meghan keeps supporting Clare Waight Keller’s work, this can lead to CWK starting her own British house of fashion.

I don’t understand what’s wrong with DoS supporting British talent.

I am a supporter of Meghan & her work as my many posts on this forum can confirm. I have defended her many times here against toxic press and will continue to do so.

I also reserve the right to comment on how the BRF spends the money they receive (which they wouldn't get if we became a republic) and also to comment on the work they do on our behalf. If people want to twist this into some kind of 'punishment' for Meghan then they don't understand that criticism can be constructive, positive & useful.

On the other hand, if Meghan keeps supporting Clare Waight Keller’s work, this can lead to CWK starting her own British house of fashion.

I don’t understand what’s wrong with DoS supporting British talent.

I hope Meghan continues to support CWK's work but also that she purchases new items from predominantly British brands. She can do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom