Kilts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocketmom

Aristocracy
City
Springfield
Country
United States
Didn't see a thread where I could post this question so I started a new one.

We frequently see Charles and Phillip wear kilts when in Scotland. I don't believe I've ever seen William or Harry in a kilt. Are there any pictures of them wearing one? Do you think that William well ever bow to tradition and wear one?

Didn't see a thread where I could post this question so I started a new one.

We frequently see Charles and Phillip wear kilts when in Scotland. I don't believe I've ever seen William or Harry in a kilt. Are there any pictures of them wearing one? Do you think that William well ever bow to tradition and wear one?

Not for a very long time
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...lliam/philipmountbatten1921-56-PrincePhil.jpg

I think he will wear a kilt in the future

I doubt that William will wear a kilt. Charles has always worn them in Scotland, even as a young man because that was how he was raised but William has made it clear that he will go against a lot of unnecessary tradition. If he respected that tradition he would already be doing so as he is now approaching middle age.

I was hunting through images looking for pics of an older William in a kilt and came across this article about Charles battling a gust of wind which threatened to displace his kilt. Whatever he and Camilla were saying must have been hilarious. Click on the main pic and you get a series of images of them with them both laughing uproariously. Prince Charles discovers the perils of a kilt - Telegraph

Hopefully William and Harry will never wear one

Why?

Why wouldn't they wear at some point dress that not only is native to a realm of which they are royalty (and William may very will one day be king of), but also is a nationality from which they descend? If you consider some of the costumes that they've worn as a result of the pageantry around the monarchy I can't see why they wouldn't at some point put on a kilt - especially considering they were raised in a family that does wear kilts.

The post 2 picture is older William so he must gotten over his diaper flashing but that was probably that last time with the kilt. Harry does seem to be enjoying it in the photo.

Tartan skirts, like plaids, put the look of "weight" on women, so for that reason they might eschew tartan skirts. Kate wore a tartan (or at least a plaid) at her school, but she's stick thin. I would never wear the tartan of my clan except as a scarf, which I do wear. There is another issue with tartans--which one to wear? When I poked around in the history of the founders of my clan, I found at least 4 other clans to which the historical figures are related--so which is mine? Just the one of my direct paternal forebear? I object. I would like to wear a tartan scarf of my direct maternal family founder, if I knew what it was. Must be obscure as that family was obscure, even though the founders were Sir Robert and Lady Eschyna Croc (pronounced Croce). Maybe they did not have a tartan because Sir Robert was a Norman newcomer when he first is found in Scotland, a knight in service to Walter Fitzallen.

Last edited:
Typically, the tartan that one would wear would be that of a person's clan, which tends to be determined through the paternal line (or for married women, the husband's line).

That said, for the BRF, there is an established tartan specifically for them, so William wouldn't have to question which one to wear - it's the one his father, uncles, and grandfather all wear.

see pictures in post #4 they have

Good gracious, fine then if i have to be specific I hope they never wear kilts as adults. Seeing as how they haven't side they were kids maybe they feel the same way about them as I do.

Heavens, the shoulder pads in the 8os. Di's jacket is wider in the shoulder that Charles'! (in Sarah pic)

terribly 80s indeed. and what a strange variety of patterns / tartans - everybody wearing a different one, it seems. also her majesty? not sure if my screen is playing tricks on me.

the worst imho is fergie's: yellow squares, adding weight around the hips.

The eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, Princess Royal Victoria, (1840-1901) married Prince Frederick William of Prussia (the future Emperor Friedrich III of Germany). I have seen a picture of Frederick with his son Prince William (Wilhelm) at Balmoral Castle in 1863. Both are wearing kilts. I saw the picture at wikimediacommonsimages.:lancasterrose:

Prince Charles Kilts

How many different kilts does Prince Charles wear?

Pictures with name will be great.

Thanks

On this forum I read about different tartans prince Charles had worn.
Royals:

Last edited:
King George IV made a royal visit to Edinburgh in August of 1822.
He attended a levee at Holyrood Palace dressed in a kilt.

In September 1938 Queen Elizabeth, the wife of King George VI, and Princess Elizabeth, and Princess Margaret Rose attended a bazaar at Crathie Church.
Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose were dressed in kilts.

In September 1938 Queen Elizabeth, the wife of King George VI, and Princess Elizabeth, and Princess Margaret Rose attended a bazaar at Crathie Church.
Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose were dressed in kilts.

Was that the only time they wore kilts? Or what was so special about this...?

Was that the only time they wore kilts? Or what was so special about this...?

There seem to be lots of photos and film showing the two Princesses wearing kilts or tartan skirts when at Balmoral.

There seem to be lots of photos and film showing the two Princesses wearing kilts or tartan skirts when at Balmoral.

Yes, i thought so, but what was so different about that bazaar in sept 1938 that it was worth mentioning it here?

Yes, i thought so, but what was so different about that bazaar in sept 1938 that it was worth mentioning it here?

I think CyrilVladisla likes sharing information about royals from the past/what happened to current royals in the past with us, which may be why he posted what he posted. I personally enjoy reading his posts, as I often find out things that I didn't know beforehand. :)

At his Aunt Margaret Rose's wedding, Prince Charles wore a green doublet, lace jabot, and a Royal Stuart kilt.

Why?

Why wouldn't they wear at some point dress that not only is native to a realm of which they are royalty (and William may very will one day be king of), but also is a nationality from which they descend? If you consider some of the costumes that they've worn as a result of the pageantry around the monarchy I can't see why they wouldn't at some point put on a kilt - especially considering they were raised in a family that does wear kilts.

I agree with you Ish. William will be King of United Kingdom and Scotland is a part of it.

Back
Top Bottom