British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is the first time I've been able to get on this Christmas. I didn't see a picture of the family walking to church. I'm assuming they didn't do that this year?

Well this is the first time I've been able to get on this Christmas. I didn't see a picture of the family walking to church. I'm assuming they didn't do that this year?

No, the family was separated for Christmas due to the rules against household mixing currently in force in the UK. The Queen was alone with Prince Philip and worshipped at a private chapel in Windsor.

Lovely, poignant, comforting speech from HM. Very well done. I also very much liked reading what resonated most with Eugenie.

The family are scattered:

The Queen and Philip are at Windsor

Charles and Camilla are at Highgrove close to Camilla's children and their families.

William and Catherine and family are at Anmer on the Sandringham Estate

The Yorks - seems Andrew and Sarah are at Royal Lodge while the girls are in London at Ivy Cottage and Nott Cottage at Kensington Palace and under tier 4 rules in the UK can't mix.

The Wessex's are at Sandringham and did go to St Mary Magdalene but they were the only royals and the congregation was pre-approved and no public allowed to gather. They drove to and from the church so nothing to see anyway.

Anne is at Gatcombe along with Peter and Zara and their families. They are in tier 2 so can meet up on the day itself.

Last edited:
:previous: Has there ever been any confirmation Beatrice lives at Notts? There were rumors the couple might move in months ago but thats it.

Getting caught up. An inspiring speech by the queen. Wonderful job :flowers:

I love the simplicity of just including her husband this year on the desk.

Its such a change not seeing the walk to the church. But such a sign of the times that we are all going through.

:previous: Has there ever been any confirmation Beatrice lives at Notts? There were rumors the couple might move in months ago but thats it.

No confirmation re Nott Cott for Bea, just speculation.

Attendance at church is allowed even in Tier 4 areas, but there were concerns that, if the Queen went, she might attract a crowd. Also, given that infection rates in the South East are very high, it's probably not a good idea for an elderly person to be attending an indoor event with other people anyway. Strange times!

I'd love to know if the Queen and Prince Philip have been vaccinated yet. I'm sure they have been, because over 600,000 people, mostly in the over 80s age group, have, but nothing's been said.

I'd love to know if the Queen and Prince Philip have been vaccinated yet. I'm sure they have been, because over 600,000 people, mostly in the over 80s age group, have, but nothing's been said.

My grandmother a year younger than the Queen has been vaccinated and they live in a tier 1/2 area (if that makes a difference) so I'm sure the Queen has been.

Nott Cottage might actually be smaller than some of the apartments at St James where Bea used to live but closer to her sister if she and Jack *are* back in Ivy Cottage. It's possible that they left London (ex to either parents) before the new tiers were announced and are staying put for a while but we don't know. If they are in London then they probably were on their own. Same with Eugenie and Jack.

I half wondered if the single photograph on her desk was to avoid accusations, arguments and apparent hurt feelings again but it probably does have much more to do with emphasising that she and Philip like everyone else are away from their family this year. And all anyone wants is a hug.

Attendance at church is allowed even in Tier 4 areas, but there were concerns that, if the Queen went, she might attract a crowd. Also, given that infection rates in the South East are very high, it's probably not a good idea for an elderly person to be attending an indoor event with other people anyway. Strange times!

Perhaps HM and Philip had an small Service in the Private Chapel of Windsor.
Even if they have been vaccinated one does need to get it twice the second time after 3-4 weeks to get the full Effect ofit.

Nice to see the Earl and Countess and children attending the Christmas Day service at St Mary Magdalene Church in Norfolk.

When the Queen is vaccinated, that information will be made public according to Palace sources. Since no such public announcement has been made, I assume she has not been vaccinated yet.

Norfolk moved from Tier 2 to Tier 4 today.

Under Tier 2 rules, they'd have been able to see the Cambridges in a public place as long as it was outdoors and there weren't more than 6 people there at once ... 4 Wessexes plus 5 Cambridges obviously makes 9, but they could have split into 2 groups. But they couldn't have met them indoors.

Under the new Tier 4 rules, you can only meet up, outdoors only (it's OK to go out to exercise, so you can meet someone for a walk), with one person outside your household.

I know - it's enough to confuse anyone!

Norfolk moved from Tier 2 to Tier 4 today.

Under Tier 2 rules, they'd have been able to see the Cambridges in a public place as long as it was outdoors and there weren't more than 6 people there at once ... 4 Wessexes plus 5 Cambridges obviously makes 9, but they could have split into 2 groups. But they couldn't have met them indoors.

Under the new Tier 4 rules, you can only meet up, outdoors only (it's OK to go out to exercise, so you can meet someone for a walk), with one person outside your household.

I know - it's enough to confuse anyone!

:previous: Wow. It appears to be changing on a day to day basis.:sad: The Wessex family seems to spend more time during Christmas/New Year's at Sandringham than Charles, Anne, Andrew and their families do, so they likely have well established activities that they'd been enjoying as a family for years now.

Not that it matters greatly, but HM’s Christmas day message has topped the Christmas Day TV ratings based on overnight Calculations. Those who watch on catch up etc will be worked out later but its clear HM’d address to the nation was the most watched programme “live” as such on Christmas Day.

Top 10 programmes on Christmas Day
1. The Queen - 8.14m (BBC One, ITV 1, Sky One, Sky News, BBC News)
2. Call The Midwife - 5.43m (BBC One)
3. Blankety Blank - 5.26m (BBC One)
4. Strictly Come Dancing - 4.86m (BBC One)
5. Michael McIntyre - 4.66m (BBC One)
6. Coronation Street - 4.55m (ITV)
7. Mrs Brown's Boys - 3.81m (BBC One)
8. Emmerdale - 3.57m (ITV)
9. EastEnders - 3.54m (BBC One)
10. The Chase - 3.02m (ITV)

I think as a ratings winner that is wondeful. Is it because what she has to say is Not lecturing, never boring, doesn't drag on or become tedious. Short, succinct and to the point, getting her message across. No fan fare, no BS, for once a genuine person speaking in a genuine manner directly to you. I wonder. I believe that may be her allure to so many of us. A great many here in Australia wouldn't miss it. And if they do they catch up later.

Perhaps it's strange but the Queen's Christmas message is the *only* message that I do not want to miss. Politicians and celebrity stars don't matter. The Queen does. Her speech is from the heart. It never comes across as scripted although we know she's reading her message that she wrote. She doesn't come off as a professional talking head but a real person with a real message worth listening to.

Something, somewhere in that short speech resonates with all of us. This year's has to be one of her best ones yet. ?

Not that it matters greatly, but HM’s Christmas day message has topped the Christmas Day TV ratings based on overnight Calculations. Those who watch on catch up etc will be worked out later but its clear HM’d address to the nation was the most watched programme “live” as such on Christmas Day.

Top 10 programmes on Christmas Day
1. The Queen - 8.14m (BBC One, ITV 1, Sky One, Sky News, BBC News)
2. Call The Midwife - 5.43m (BBC One)
3. Blankety Blank - 5.26m (BBC One)
4. Strictly Come Dancing - 4.86m (BBC One)
5. Michael McIntyre - 4.66m (BBC One)
6. Coronation Street - 4.55m (ITV)
7. Mrs Brown's Boys - 3.81m (BBC One)
8. Emmerdale - 3.57m (ITV)
9. EastEnders - 3.54m (BBC One)
10. The Chase - 3.02m (ITV)

Thank you for sharing the link tommy100! :flowers:

I am very happy that The Queen's Christmas message have topped the Christmas Day TV ratings with a wide margin!!!

I have posted in the General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Part 2 thread (Post #1086) that Channel 4's alternate Christmas Message used "digitally created doppelgänger" and "Deepfake technology" of the Queen's message.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55424730

Here is the YouTube link if anyone is interested:

There were backlash to this and The Telegraph has given a 2 out of 5 stars review.

Alternative Christmas Message, Channel 4, review: a dodgy deepfake Queen and dreadful gags
2/5
Attempting to raise a laugh, and raise questions about fake news, this dismal four-minute comedy skit failed on both counts

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/alternative-christmas-message-channel-4-review-dodgy-deepfake/

All I can say is I'm glad that Channel 4's alternative Christmas message (annual parody of The Queen's message itself) is no where near top 10. This is almost like a big slap of revenge on Channel 4's lacklustre comedy.

Last edited:
Its not surprising the speech had top ratings. Not a lot of people watch tv on Christmas and when you do, its pretty much the traditions.

Even for those who aren't big royalist fans, the queen's speech is kind of an ingrained part of the holidays. And is unlikely not to continue to be so.

The queen definitely speaks well, and its heart felt and wonderful to listen to.

Just as her earlier Covid-19 'we're all in this together' speech calling for everyone to pull together because together is how we're going to beat this' speech, this too had the air of a wartime broadcast. Had we here not (mostly) all pulled together here, we would be the same boat here as well.

Sydney's Bondi beach 1,000 plus beach party by young backpackers really gutted the Mayor and health officials who fear it was a superspreader. I think it's time to "go hard" on the younger people.

No, it does no kill anywhere near the same percentage as older people, but we have all fixated on death statistics. Now it's time to push the 'life' statistics and what they really mean. There are hundreds of thousands of "long-haulers" who, having survived Covid, now have to live the rest of their lives with the after effects and for many it is devastating.

These people's lives will never be the same as they deal with the legacy of mild to severe lung, heart, kidney and liver damage. The new young stroke victims who have to learn to speak or walk again, they all didn't die, but their hope's and dreams are shattered and Covid-19 is the ultimate 'pre-existing condition' because it's legacy is legion and how do you fight it and how much is it going to cost to stay alive for the rest of their lives?

Kid-gloving those that think Covid restrictions are designed to spoil their fun because they are "fireproof" needs to end. How about a TV crew in the respiratory recovery and therapy wards. They are not a pretty sight and not as sexy as standing outside an ER packed to the gunnels breathlessly speculating 'will they live or die'. Well, living is not necessarily what it it used to be cracked up to be . . . . .

HM's speech was good. One of the better ones I think. Ratings for the speech have been on the slide for years of course so it's encouraging that there's been a (modest) uptick in interest.

I love satire but the Channel 4 broadcast just wasn't funny & felt rather flat.

Queen 1, Channel 4 nil.:D

Agree that this was one of the best of HM's speeches so far.

I personally did enjoy the Channel 4 satire!

Fair enough. It would be dull if we all agreed!

Queen 1, Channel 4 1. Return match xmas 2021.:D

I'd never seen this before the 1975 Queen's Christmas message which was filmed out doors!

Has the queen departed for Sandrigham or will Christmas be at Windsor this year?

The idea is that the Queen will go to Sandringham and welcome her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren (apart from the Sussexes) there. However, the press are reporting that some or all of them might not go because of concerns about the rise in Covid infections thanks to the infernal Omicron variant. It'll be very sad if they have to cancel their plans for the second year in a row, especially when it's the first Christmas after the loss of Prince Philip, but a 95-year-old is obviously vulnerable and we'll have to see what they decide. The reports say that a smaller celebration, at Windsor, may be on the cards.

I'm very sorry for everyone. We all had our Christmases spoilt this year, and, until a few weeks ago, it looked as if this year would be OK ... but then Omicron hit.

If the queen stays at Windsor for Christmas it will be the first time since the early 90's .

Hopefully the queen will make the Christmas Day Church Service.

I can't see her going to church. It's not just the actual service, it's the worry that crowds will turn out to watch.

It's all such a shame :-( .

I don't think it is safe for her to have everyone around as originally planned. Her Majesty is 95. No reason to risk taking any unnecessary chances!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom