The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Courtier

Roya Nikkhah from The Sunday Times have tweeted and included a screenshot of the column (at the front page). The article by Roya Nikkhah, Caroline Wheeler and Sabah Meddings is on The Queen (and senior members of the Royal Family) letting the public know when she's had the vaccine.
Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
ROYAL booster for the #Covid #vaccine The Queen and senior members of the royal family are set to “let it be known” when they have had the #vaccination in a vital move expected to significantly increase the #coronavirus #vaccine uptake across the country
@thesundaytimes
10:09 AM · Dec 6, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...60686432673798

Picture 1 | Picture 2

Old 12-05-2020, 11:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Roya Nikkhah from The Sunday Times have tweeted and included a screenshot of the column (at the front page). The article by Roya Nikkhah, Caroline Wheeler and Sabah Meddings is on The Queen (and senior members of the Royal Family) letting the public know when she's had the vaccine.
Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
ROYAL booster for the #Covid #vaccine The Queen and senior members of the royal family are set to “let it be known” when they have had the #vaccination in a vital move expected to significantly increase the #coronavirus #vaccine uptake across the country
@thesundaytimes
10:09 AM · Dec 6, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...60686432673798

Picture 1 | Picture 2
That’s great news !!!

Old 12-14-2020, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth take a horse ride around Windsor Castle

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...or-Castle.html
Old 12-14-2020, 11:52 AM
Aristocracy

I still can only express my admiration for her being able to ride at 94.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

Completely agree - I got on a horse the other after months in lookdown and my back and buttocks will never forgive me. I think I aged 10 years this lockdown :)
Old 12-24-2020, 01:39 AM
Courtier

I'm not quite sure if this post belongs to British Royal Christmas 2008-2020 or this General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Part 2 thread. Channel 4 has released short video on twitter previewing the annual alternative Christmas message. Apparently, Channel 4 used "digitally created doppelgänger" and "Deepfake technology". The intention was "to give a "stark warning" about fake news in the digital age".

There has been backlash, particularly from those who wants to defund state-owned/tax-payer founded broadcasting corporations (including Channel 4, commercially funded, but government owned). Even Nicholas Witchell, the BBC's royal correspondent is not impressed.

Quote:
The BBC's royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell was not impressed: "There have been countless imitations of the Queen. This isn't a particularly good one.

"The voice sounds what it is - a rather poor attempt to impersonate her. What makes it troubling is the use of video technology to attempt to sync her lips to the words being spoken."

"The Alternative Christmas Message will be shown on Channel 4 at 15:25 GMT on 25 December."
Deepfake queen to deliver Channel 4 Christmas message
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55424730

The Telegraph has picked up the backlash and controversy.

'Deepfake' Queen's Speech: Channel 4 criticised for 'disrespectful' Christmas message
With jokes about Harry, Meghan, Prince Andrew, and the PM, the broadcaster claims it's a 'stark warning about misinformation and fake news'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ful-christmas/
Old 12-24-2020, 04:08 AM
Courtier

I'm not impressed with this. There's always some stupid alternative speech, but it's usually given by some minor celebrity and isn't offensive. This isn't appropriate at all.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:37 AM
Courtier

It seems its probably a publicity stunt from Channel 4. Even if this was a genuine attempt to "warn" people about fake news I'm not sure the Queen is an appropriate subject, given that she only makes speeches on rare occasions and the Christmas Message is the *only* one she writes herself.

The BRF is the subject of a lot of "fake news" and some papers/media (including Channel 4 sometimes) cover the latest "scandal"/scandal obsessively rather than focusing on more important things and it's difficult for them to fight back sometimes.

If they wanted to make a point surely the PM would be a better target or some else. I guess Boris isn't shocking enough so they'll "make" HM talk about Andrew and Harry & Meghan, one of which is serious the other the definition of a tempest in a tea cup/obsessiveness over trivial news (and I include myself in that).

Oh well guess they felt they needed to go bigger than John Bercow or Russell Brand this year.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:49 AM
Courtier

I personally think Channel 4 is reinforcing its political bias (see the panel/audience or comedians' reaction to the 2019 election's exit poll) and actually helping the campaign to privatise or sell Channel 4 itself. I do wonder if they think the alternative Christmas message is going to "edgy, rebellious" or generate reaction like Sex Pistol's God Save the Queen in 1977. Except, society has changed dramatically since the 1970s, currently with COVID-19 and The Queen herself has reigned for 68 years. During the pandemic, The Royal Family has been perceived to "lift the spirit of the nation". Perhaps this is the main reason of the outrage.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:53 PM
Courtier

I really miss the RF on their way to and from Church Christmas Day, as every year not this year. The people being lined up to greet them, this year we will not see anyone. If we buckle under this Pandemic has won, no chance in hell, keep on fighting and your spirits up. Merry Christmas every one.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

"New £5 coin to mark Queen's 95th birthday in 2021"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55525006
Old 01-04-2021, 02:52 AM
Courtier

What a great way to commemorate The Queen's 95th Birthday by the Royal Mint! She definitely put her heart and devotion to her Nation and the Commonwealth.

The £5 coin looks great as well.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:18 AM
Royal Highness

I love it! I can't wait to go back to the UK and get that coin for a keepsake!

I also love that they are honoring Sir Walter Scott and H.G. Wells........
Old 01-04-2021, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth has sent a message to mark the 75th year of BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour:

** Message **
Old 01-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen cancels all garden parties in London and Edinburgh in 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urgh-2021.html
Old 01-05-2021, 12:39 PM
Royal Highness

Necessary, I suppose, but what a shame. The virus continues to take so much from us...
Old 01-05-2021, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

While the garden parties do take place outdoors, I don't believe that they could maintain the necessary social distancing when such large groups are expected. Adding additional days to reduce the numbers would likely interfere with the other scheduled events.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Courtier

It's just impossible to plan anything at the moment. There's already talk of cancelling the summer music festivals, which take place in July and August. Hopefully, things will be better by then, but the planning needs to start now and it just can't be done :-( .
Old 01-05-2021, 04:24 PM
Courtier

I understand that it is necessary to cancel everything. Hope people get the vaccine and maybe we get back to normal, what ever that is. It seems the only highlight we can expect are the babies being born and there are a few. Well a nother boring year for Royal watchers. Well we have January maybe by June or so it will be a nightmare passed. I at least hope so. For some people this isolation must be hell at least for children and seniors. Some people rise above themselves, While others not, the latter is scary.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I read somewhere that it was getting time to commit to contractors - catering and marquees etc and with England in lockdown until 'at least the end of February' I guess it makes sense to cancel now. If things improve drastically by the summer they can plan smaller events outside at some point.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii