The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duchess of Cornwall jewellery part 2

Welcome to part 2 of the discussion about the Duchess of Cornwall's jewellery. Just as a reminder, attempts to turn this thread into a discussion of Diana will not be tolerated.

Part 1 of the thread is here:

Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 1: Feb 2004 - Oct 2005

Old 10-27-2005, 05:44 AM
Commoner

Talking HRH Camilias First Tiara

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall worn her first tiara yesterday! i went into college and smack bang on the newspaper rack was the Duchess in the Delhi Dubar Tiara without the emeralds, i nearly died, no ones seen it for like 50 odd years, i have nothing against camilia but i wouldnt have choose that tiara, its a tiara for an Empress with Royal Blood (Queen Mary!) i think tiaras like the Delhi Dubar, the Russian Kokoshnik, Grand Duchess Vladimirs tiara and the other big! important tiaras should be reserved for Queens, Princess Royals and future Princesses of Wales. whens TRH's beatrice and Eugenie gonna wear one! cant wait

Old 10-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall worn her first tiara yesterday! i went into college and smack bang on the newspaper rack was the Duchess in the Delhi Dubar Tiara without the emeralds, i nearly died, no ones seen it for like 50 odd years, i have nothing against camilia but i wouldnt have choose that tiara, its a tiara for an Empress with Royal Blood (Queen Mary!) i think tiaras like the Delhi Dubar, the Russian Kokoshnik, Grand Duchess Vladimirs tiara and the other big! important tiaras should be reserved for Queens, Princess Royals and future Princesses of Wales. whens TRH's beatrice and Eugenie gonna wear one! cant wait
Hi Dane.

Welcome to the board.

The cabachon emeralds were replaced with smaller diamonds in 1922.

Indeed, it was made for HI&RM the Queen & Empress Consort Mary for the Imperial Delhi Durbar festivities which took palce in 1911, but was left to HI&RM the Queen & Empress Consort Elizabeth (later Queen Mother) at the request of the Queen Dowager. The Queen Mother wore it a few times but to no real great extent.

Personally, I love it as an all diamond piece. Stunning!

"MII"

I'm not sure but the moderators may want to relocate this thread to the appropriate sub forum or infact merge it.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall worn her first tiara yesterday!
i think tiaras like the Delhi Dubar, the Russian Kokoshnik, Grand Duchess Vladimirs tiara and the other big! important tiaras should be reserved for Queens, Princess Royals and future Princesses of Wales.
HRH Camilla is entitled to be called the Princess of Wales, she and Charles decided not to use the title due to it's association with his previous wife. The use of this tiara was apparently chosen by the Queen and Camilla.
When Prince Charles becomes King, as his wife, Camilla will have the use of all the royal jewels. I think she looked lovely in it, so regal.:)
Old 10-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Nobility

I think she really looked good, and so happy.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Nobility

Does Camilla get to wear a tiara in the U.S. visit?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

i'm really glad she chose such a jewel with such an important history. it meant she is accepted and appreciated by the queen if she let her use the same tiara that thew late queen used lots of years ago for the last time. she looked spendid as well.

CAMILLA AND THE DURBAR TIARA

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
When Princess Diana visited The USA with Prince Charles, she also wore her Tiara the Knot Lover's, so i think as The Duchess of Cornwall just got her Tiara and as how much Prince Charles loves his second wife, he will try to get for The Duchess to wear in Tiara as any occasion as much as he can to declare that now that is the Duchess-wife of the heir and future Queen Consort not Camilla Parker Bowles anymore, and for people get more used to that.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Royal Highness

There is an opinion piece in the Telegraph on the Duchess' and her new tiara:

You shall go to the Ball!

How it must have aggrieved her enemies in the tabloid press! The Duchess of Cornwall, looking splendid in Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar tiara, shone at the dinner given on Tuesday night for the King and Queen of Norway. This represents a serious diversion from the script. The duchess is supposed to be the hag-ridden, charmless royal, everything out of place, plain to the point of winning one of the subsidiary roles in Cinderella.

And then, lo and behold, she makes a pretty good stab at actually being Cinders. In the pantomime that those who seek to destroy the Royal Family try to create around it, the duchess is getting the cheers, not the boos.

http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/o...ixopinion.html
Old 10-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
If there is a state dinner at the White House or at the British Embassy, then Camilla will wear her tiara.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

The emeralds in the tiara were the Cambridge stones inherited by Queen Mary when her brother, Prince Francis, died. After the Durbar, Queen Mary removed the emeralds and the Cullinan diamond and wore it on a few occasions.

The Queen Mother wore the diadem once during a state visit to South Africa in 1947 and then it went into storage. Queen Mary left her the diadem after her death in 1953 and then the Queen inherited it when her mother passed away.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

I believe that the protocol is that she doesn't wear a tiara at the State dinner but if there is a formal dinner at the British embassy she wears one then.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Administrator

The Delhi Durbar Diadem

According to the GREMB and reports from people who have seen a short video of events from the gala dinner, it can be confirmed that the Delhi Durbar tiara has NOT been altered, or opened up at the back, but is still the full circle; ie it remains in diadem-mode. This jewel must be enormous!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Nobility

Talking tiara

The tiara is enormous and camilla has a lot of hair.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
According to the GREMB and reports from people who have seen a short video of events from the gala dinner, it can be confirmed that the Delhi Durbar tiara has NOT been altered, or opened up at the back, but is still the full circle; ie it remains in diadem-mode. This jewel must be enormous!
That can't be true. If it was not opened up in the back, it would have to be high on the top of her head like a crown, rather than banded and on the side.

It's been altered for sure.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
I believe that the protocol is that she doesn't wear a tiara at the State dinner but if there is a formal dinner at the British embassy she wears one then.
No. If it is an offical state dinner hosted by the President, the protocol is she wears her tiara because she and Charles are representing the Queen as head of state of the UK.

I have pictures of Diana and Charles being greeted by President and Mrs. Reagan on their arrival at the White House for a state dinner. Diana is wearing the Lover's Knot Tiara and her sapphire and pearl choker.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
No. If it is an offical state dinner hosted by the President, the protocol is she wears her tiara because she and Charles are representing the Queen as head of state of the UK.

I have pictures of Diana and Charles being greeted by President and Mrs. Reagan on their arrival at the White House for a state dinner. Diana is wearing the Lover's Knot Tiara and her sapphire and pearl choker.

No Diana, did not wear a tiara to the White House dinner. That state dinner was the one she wore the saphire and pearl choker with the saphire blue gown. That was the dinner she danced with John Travolta. SHe wore the Lover's knot tiara at the dinner hosted at the British EMbassy.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, you know, since Camilla the present Princess of Wales - albeit not using the title - she would seem to fall within your criteria. This seems to be an early message from the present Queen that, despite what's being said about Princess Consort and all that, we're looking at our next Queen Consort.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Really? They've seen a picture from the back and it goes all the way round? The way she's wearing it, it doesn't look as though it has the correct angle to be a full circle.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Really? They've seen a picture from the back and it goes all the way round? The way she's wearing it, it doesn't look as though it has the correct angle to be a full circle.
In this video , almost in the end of the report about the visit, you can see another view from Camilla wearing the tiara and it looks like that the Delhi Durbar it's still a full circle. I hope that helps :)

From TV2
http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/?treeId=10...&itemId=114262

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery