Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 2: Feb-Nov 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
It's still my theory that Charles would have presented Camilla with a tiara as a wedding gift. Very appropriate for someone who was about to become an HRH, and keeping in the tradition of the Royal Family.

Actually, it is not in the royal tradition. A tiara is usually a gift only bestowed by the Sovereign or a Queen Consort to the new female bride in the family. Diana, Sarah and Sophie all received their tiaras directly from the Queen.

Princess Anne received one from the Queen, one from the Queen Mother and also had one of her own. Princess Margaret received one from her mother and one from the Queen (who paid for the Poltimore tiara as a wedding gift to her sister). The Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester wear tiaras that were gifts from Queen Mary to Princesses Marina and Alice upon marriage. Princess Michael of Kent also has two tiaras which were gifts from Queen Mary to Princess Marina.

You have to remember that almost every single piece of jewelry is not owned by an individual but rather by the crown. Some of the jewelrys may be designated to be used for certain people and occasions though. Most people do not remember the tiaras that Diana or others wore so I do not think it would cause a controversy. She has every right to wear it as the wife of the Prince of Wales. And lets not kid ourselves Camilla will be HM The Queen Consort. Anybody with common sense knows the Princess Consort crap is to help Camilla integrate into the royal family. Camilla will rise through the ranks of the royal family with in the next year or two to become the second lady of the land. You will also notice references to Camilla becoming Princess Consort disappear from the Official Website. And then I think at some occasion on of Charles boys or the PM will introduce Camilla as the future queen. Charles would never accept camilla being princess consort even though I really think camilla does not want to be Queen or even a member of the royal family but I am glad she is sacrificing her freedom for the trappings of the royal family. She at least deserves respect for that. Oh and it is most likely that a new crown will be made for camilla. A new crown is always made for Queen Consorts. There are a whole bunch on display in museams.

I think that even though it's pretty certain that Camilla will be Queen Consort if she and Charles both outlive the Queen, we won't be seeing her any time soon in any of the tiaras left by Queen Victoria for use by future queens; perhaps if she shows up in the Queen Mother's ruby tiara a few years down the line, it'll be an early indication that she's being eased into the potential Queen Consort slot.

Elspeth said:
I think that even though it's pretty certain that Camilla will be Queen Consort if she and Charles both outlive the Queen, we won't be seeing her any time soon in any of the tiaras left by Queen Victoria for use by future queens; perhaps if she shows up in the Queen Mother's ruby tiara a few years down the line, it'll be an early indication that she's being eased into the potential Queen Consort slot.

Queen Victoria never particularly cared for tiaras and didn't have that many to designate for use by future Queens. The George IV State Diadem, the George III Fringe Tiara and the Indian Ruby Tiara were the only pieces.

Queen Mary loved jewels and is responsible for acquiring the vast collection in the Queen's possession today. In addition to her own tiaras, Queen Mary designated the Russian style tiara designed for Queen Alexandra as belonging to future Queens.

Once Camilla becomes Consort, she will have her choice as the wife of the King of what tiaras to wear. In the meantime, I highly doubt the Queen will be giving Camilla a tiara she herself wears.

Princejonnhy25 said:
You have to remember that almost every single piece of jewelry is not owned by an individual but rather by the crown. Some of the jewelrys may be designated to be used for certain people and occasions though. .

Not true. Most royal pieces in the personal possession of each member of the royal family are kept by the individual families and passed down. If they borrow something from the Queen (Diana did wear two of the Queen's Saudi Arabian diamond necklaces from time to time), this is returned to Her Majesty after the occasion is over.

Queen Mary's careful planning and gift-giving to each of her son's wives upon marriage is the reason why the current Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent as well as Princess Michael have beautiful jewels to wear today.

Diana possessed a number of pieces given to her by the Queen as gifts when she married Prince Charles. These jewels, as pieces left to the Queen herself by her grandmother, were returned to her after the Princess died. They will be given to Prince William when he marries for his wife.

Hi All,

Has Camilla been seen wearing any tiara at all yet? I know she and Prince Charles are expected to visit the U.S. later this year on an official trip...their first abroad together...so maybe we will see on then when they at the White House...

I think with her hairstyle a smaller tiara would not look so overpowering.

Lady Marmalade said:
Hi All,

Has Camilla been seen wearing any tiara at all yet? I know she and Prince Charles are expected to visit the U.S. later this year on an official trip...their first abroad together...so maybe we will see on then when they at the White House...

I think with her hairstyle a smaller tiara would not look so overpowering.

She hasn't attended a state dinner or opening of Parliament yet, so the answer is no. The state visit of the Norwegian King may be the first time we will see her wearing one.

Is there a rule for wearing a tiara at certain occasions? I mean does she has to wear a tiara at this event? Maybe we will not see a tiara at all at the Norwegian State visit (what I personally would regret). I got the feeling Camilla likes it to do something completely unexpected ...

Recently I saw a picture of Camilla wearing a tiara in a magazine. It was a montage and in my eyes it didn´t look that bad ...

Gladys said:
Is there a rule for wearing a tiara at certain occasions? I mean does she has to wear a tiara at this event? Maybe we will not see a tiara at all at the Norwegian State visit (what I personally would regret). I got the feeling Camilla likes it to do something completely unexpected ...

Recently I saw a picture of Camilla wearing a tiara in a magazine. It was a montage and in my eyes it didn´t look that bad ...

Usually, any female member of the royal family who is a Royal Highness and in the official Order of Precedence at a state event wears a tiara. This signifies their rank and dignity in upholding the Sovereign as the fount of honour.

thanks branchg for explaining - I´m rather a newbie yet :)

I think in the UK tiaras aren't worn at functions that take place at hotels (don't ask me why; it's just the way things are done), so sometimes you'll see the Queen dressed up in a long dress and diamonds but with nothing on her head, and usually it means that the event, even if it's a formal dinner, is taking place at a hotel. Other than that, tiaras can be worn for formal occasions; they don't have to be state occasions but these days tiaras are much less likely to be worn to things like theatre and film premieres than they were thirty years ago.

branchg said:
Actually, it is not in the royal tradition. A tiara is usually a gift only bestowed by the Sovereign or a Queen Consort to the new female bride in the family. Diana, Sarah and Sophie all received their tiaras directly from the Queen.

However, I think we can safely assume that the present situation isn't in the royal tradition either. Prince Charles is pushing 60, so is Camilla, he's been Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall pretty much since forever, she's a second wife and divorcee; under that set of circumstances, it's quite possible that her tiara would come from him rather than from the Queen. We'll just have to wait and see.

Elspeth said:
I think in the UK tiaras aren't worn at functions that take place at hotels (don't ask me why; it's just the way things are done), so sometimes you'll see the Queen dressed up in a long dress and diamonds but with nothing on her head, and usually it means that the event, even if it's a formal dinner, is taking place at a hotel. Other than that, tiaras can be worn for formal occasions; they don't have to be state occasions but these days tiaras are much less likely to be worn to things like theatre and film premieres than they were thirty years ago.

Yes, you are right. However, for formal state dinners and the Opening of Parliament, tiaras are required for all female Royal Highnesses.

Elspeth said:
However, I think we can safely assume that the present situation isn't in the royal tradition either. Prince Charles is pushing 60, so is Camilla, he's been Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall pretty much since forever, she's a second wife and divorcee; under that set of circumstances, it's quite possible that her tiara would come from him rather than from the Queen. We'll just have to wait and see.

It will be interesting. My guess is the Queen has not given Camilla anything from her collection that would be controversial, but we won't know until pictures are released. Recent tradition has been to have a tiara purchased or designed for the newest royal princess.

Only Diana was given jewels from the Queen and Queen Mother's personal collections, including the Lover's Knot Tiara which belonged to Queen Mary. No doubt this was in expectation she would bear heirs and become Queen.

Re;

The thing that amazes me about Camilla fashion-wise is that people expect her to look awful and then are stunned when she looks absolutely amazing i.e - her wedding outfits.

I think that for the first time, it will seem strange seeing Camilla in a tiara. The Norwegian State Visit really is the one we're waiting for. We'll be able to see if she's been given a Norwegian decoration (or a British One) and exactly what form her tiara has taken.

I have no doubt that she will look absolutely amazing!

ElisaR said:
I am sure that the Queen has somewhere an unknow tiara she had never worn and which will be perfect for Camilla. If she hasn't, Charles will buy a new one.
definitely. the british royal family has so many jewels. i'm sure they'll pull out a forgotten one for her.

I love the Teck tiara but I'm not sure it would work with Camilla's hairstyle.
though, I wouldn't be surprised if a new one is bought. that's what they did for sarah ferguson. personally i like that idea. it's good to keep adding to the royal jewel collection. it should reflect some of today's trends, as well as yesterdays.

Last edited by a moderator:
pollyemma said:
definitely. the british royal family has so many jewels. i'm sure they'll pull out a forgotten one for her.
I don't think there are ton of forgotten tiaras sitting around in the vault somewhere. Most of Queen Mary's tiaras were either left to the Queen as personal gifts or designated as Crown pieces to be worn by all future Queens. We've seen all of them because the Queen wears the pieces.

The rest of Queen Mary's tiaras were gifted to her son's wives as they married and are worn today by the Duchess of Kent, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Michael. Princess Alexandra has one tiara, which was her mother's.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Personally) I feel that the Duhcess of Cornwalls hairstyle shall prove to be rather troublesome when finding a tiara that both suits and looks good. Personally, I dont think anything like the Queen Alexandra Kokoshnik or the Grand Duchess Vladimirovna tiara shall suit her at all.

Something along the lines of the Empress Maria Fyodorovna tiara that was often worn by the late Princess Margret, Countess of Snowdon. Or the Queen Mary Emerald tiara.

94a44047.jpg

4b504b5d.jpg

But it remains to be seen and who knows, maybe the Duchess shall chose to wear her hair differently when sporting a tiara. Not likely, but possible.

"MII"

Last edited:
The Dowager Empress Marie's sapphire tiara was purchased by Queen Mary and left to the Queen Mother after her death. She never wore it and often lent it to Princess Margaret before her marriage.

It is likely in the Queen's collection now (assuming it wasn't sold at some point) and could be given to Camilla.

Is it just me or does it seem the glory days of Royalty and Jewelry and the big ballgown days are over. I look at old pics and I see these magnificent gowns and gloves and fur coats and jewels and riaras. It was a real show and I would love to see a comeback. I hope Camilla changes her hairstyle. Remember, Camilla has been suprising us with her fashion so I am expecting a suprise at the State Visit. But, no matter what hairstlyle Camilla has she would need a Tiara that stands out. Small tiaras wouldnt work on her.

Camilla definately will need a large tiara to work with her hairstyle. It's very possible she will be wearing the Queen Mother's diamond honeycomb Boucheron tiara, which would work well for her.

branchg said:
Camilla definately will need a large tiara to work with her hairstyle. It's very possible she will be wearing the Queen Mother's diamond honeycomb Boucheron tiara, which would work well for her.

Do you have a picture of it branchg? I'd love to see it.

Yes, I see what you mean about the diamond honeycomb suiting the Duchess. Out of the larger pieces, I think it to be the only one that shall really compliment her. I think a slight change to her hair would help when it comes to such a large tiara.

"MII"

Re:

I think she'll look fab in that tiara. Maybe she should go for a Queen Anne-Marie hair-do? I think it would suit her.

Margrethe II said:
Yes, I see what you mean about the diamond honeycomb suiting the Duchess. Out of the larger pieces, I think it to be the only one that shall really compliment her. I think a slight change to her hair would help when it comes to such a large tiara."MII"

It might work! Of course, this assumes the Queen hasn't decided to keep it for her own use. After all, it was her mother's favorite tiara.

BeatrixFan said:
I think she'll look fab in that tiara.
Can I be the first to post "But what would the Queen Mother think?" ;)

Warren said:
Can I be the first to post "But what would the Queen Mother think?" ;)

I doubt we need any further explanation for that question Warren ;)

Somehow, I dont think there would be enough room for her to turn in the royal volt :rolleyes: :D

"MII"

branchg said:
It might work! Of course, this assumes the Queen hasn't decided to keep it for her own use. After all, it was her mother's favorite tiara.

Good point branchg! But, I think that if Her Majesty were going to wear it she would have by now. I do remember reading something (I shall go back through my 'collectables' to find exactly where), that stated how the Queen and Princess Margaret thought the honeycomb tiara a most hideous creation.

I do feel that the late Queen Mother would probably be the only lady (respectively) who could really 'pull it off', so to speak.

But we shall wait and see.

"MII"

Last edited:
Re;

"But what would the Queen Mother think?"

Well Camilla's got one of her rings, why not use her tiara as well. With all due respect and love to the Queen Mother, I doubt she'll be using the tiara much herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom