The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 10-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Well, I'm glad they haven't hacked it about to turn it into something other than what it was, especially with its historical importance, but it must be absolutely enormous. On someone with less hair, it'd end up being a collar.
__________________

  #182  
Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: newyork, United States
Posts: 479
Question

If it was not altered then wouldn't you see the whole thing? It tapers at the sides like a normal tiara.
__________________

  #183  
Old 10-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
Not proven yet

Thanks Xicamaluca. This is the video referred to earlier.
Umm, I'm yet to be convinced. From what others had stated it was obvious the Delhi Durbar was still a diadem, but the video does not establish this. The tiara certainly goes round quite a bit, but we don't get a clear view of the back.

The case is still open.

Whatever, it is certainly a most glittering jewel. Whenever Camilla moves her head the tiara just sparkles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicamaluca
In this video , almost in the end of the report about the visit, you can see another view from Camilla wearing the tiara and it looks like that the Delhi Durbar it's still a full circle. I hope that helps :) From TV2 http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/?treeId=10...&itemId=114262
  #184  
Old 10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: newyork, United States
Posts: 479
Question

Is it possible her hair is covering the sides of the tiara? It still doesn't look like the picture I have seen it looks big and it seems she would have to wear it on top of her head not like she has it,if it weren't altered.
  #185  
Old 10-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
If it was not altered then wouldn't you see the whole thing? It tapers at the sides like a normal tiara.
No, it doesn't taper. It was made as a full circle diadem and if it was "reconstructed" for Camilla to make it taper, the lyre pattern would be destroyed. There is no evidence of that in what we have seen and its unlikely the Queen would have allowed it. A split down the back of it maybe, but nothing radical. We may have to wait for P de V and Hello! to see if they have pics showing us whether it remains a full circle or not.
.
  #186  
Old 10-27-2005, 02:02 PM
florawindsor's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , China
Posts: 279
when do royal women wear tiaras?
__________________
i'm not from an english speaking country, plz forgive me if i made any stupid mistakes in my post

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
  #187  
Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: newyork, United States
Posts: 479
Talking

Well whatever they did it is a beautiful piece.
  #188  
Old 10-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,584
I liked this one on here as a smaller one would have been lost in hear feathery hairstyle. If she had straight, and long flowing hair like Mary or Mette Marit, she could have gotten away with a smaller tiara.

This is one of the grander pieces. It does look like it was opened in the back to allow it to lay on her head like a normal tiara not a crown.
  #189  
Old 10-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
when do royal women wear tiaras?
They wear them at official and formal events when they're wearing evening dress, as far as I can tell. The exception is that in Britain, for some reason that I have no idea about, tiaras are never worn in hotels.
  #190  
Old 10-27-2005, 05:29 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Re:

From Lady Troubridge's Book of Etiquette, 1928

"Tiaras should be worn at all State Functions and you will be made aware of the requirement. When investing in a tiara, one should not plump for a vast creation that could overshadow the tiara worn by ladies of the Royal Family."

and later....

"Tiaras are never worn at private parties or in a setting where corporate buisness is discussed."
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #191  
Old 10-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by xicamaluca
In this video , almost in the end of the report about the visit, you can see another view from Camilla wearing the tiara and it looks like that the Delhi Durbar it's still a full circle. I hope that helps :)

From TV2
http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/?treeId=10...&itemId=114262
This doesn't tell me anything except Camilla has a very large tiara. The diadem was clearly modified, otherwise it would have to be right on the top of her head if it was still enclosed. There is no way to fit the piece headband style with the sides tapered if it wasn't.
  #192  
Old 10-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
No Diana, did not wear a tiara to the White House dinner. That state dinner was the one she wore the saphire and pearl choker with the saphire blue gown. That was the dinner she danced with John Travolta. SHe wore the Lover's knot tiara at the dinner hosted at the British EMbassy.
The state dinner you are referring to was Diana's first as Princess of Wales. The picture I have is the second visit she made a few years later.

She is wearing her tiara and choker with a white dress on the steps of the White House with Nancy Reagan next to her shaking Prince Charles' hand while President Reagan is gesturing to Nancy. There are two Marines in formal dress by the entrance to the White House.
  #193  
Old 10-27-2005, 06:06 PM
xicamaluca's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portugal, Portugal
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
This doesn't tell me anything except Camilla has a very large tiara. The diadem was clearly modified, otherwise it would have to be right on the top of her head if it was still enclosed. There is no way to fit the piece headband style with the sides tapered if it wasn't.
I didn´t said that the tiara was a full circle, only that looked like and that some people said that. I only left the video for you to see and that your conclusions about the subject :)

Althought i love to see royal jewels, i don´t know much (almost nothing) about them. But i also don´t see a full cicle tiara fit on Camilla's head, only if was a large tiara.
__________________
Xica
  #194  
Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
From Lady Troubridge's Book of Etiquette, 1928

"Tiaras should be worn at all State Functions and you will be made aware of the requirement. When investing in a tiara, one should not plump for a vast creation that could overshadow the tiara worn by ladies of the Royal Family."

and later....

"Tiaras are never worn at private parties or in a setting where corporate buisness is discussed."
Right - so if a discussion about corporate business breaks out, all the ladies have to take off their tiaras immediately!

The joys of early 20th century life...
  #195  
Old 10-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
when do royal women wear tiaras?
Any state banquet, Opening of Parliament, state visit or formal royal occasions in the evening are the usual events where protocol requires a tiara for Royal Highnesses.

For private events in the evening (i.e. a cultural event) in a non-royal location, it is considered to be inappropriate to wear a tiara, even for the Queen. And of course, non-royals should never wear a tiara in the presence of royalty unless they are British peers at a British event.
  #196  
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Re:

Quote:
Right - so if a discussion about corporate business breaks out, all the ladies have to take off their tiaras immediately
I love it Elspeth! That book is full of brilliant rules to follow. One of my favourites is "A Gentleman never attempts to discuss sports with ladies but a lady may enjoy a light and short conversation about hunting, shooting or riding"
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
  #197  
Old 10-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Any state banquet, Opening of Parliament, state visit or formal royal occasions in the evening are the usual events where protocol requires a tiara for Royal Highnesses.

For private events in the evening (i.e. a cultural event) in a non-royal location, it is considered to be inappropriate to wear a tiara, even for the Queen. And of course, non-royals should never wear a tiara in the presence of royalty unless they are British peers at a British event.
Earlier in her reign she did get dolled up in a tiara and the works for royal command performances in theatres and cinemas; I think I've seen pictures of her at those events looking pretty much like she looked when attending some official occasion at the Palace. These days things are quite a lot less formal.
  #198  
Old 10-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Ennyllorac's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The state dinner you are referring to was Diana's first as Princess of Wales. The picture I have is the second visit she made a few years later.

She is wearing her tiara and choker with a white dress on the steps of the White House with Nancy Reagan next to her shaking Prince Charles' hand while President Reagan is gesturing to Nancy. There are two Marines in formal dress by the entrance to the White House.
I know we are off topic but this is driving me crazy. I think I am getting forgetful but if I recall correctly Diana and Charles only made one state visit here. Though they visited on other occasions separately Do you have the picture to share? I just read an article saying that this is Charles first State visit in more than 20 years.

Now to get this back on topic, who knows the correct protocol? I know the Queen did wear a tiara when she visited George and Barbara Bush in the late 80's. Does Camilla wear one?
  #199  
Old 10-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
I know we are off topic but this is driving me crazy. I think I am getting forgetful but if I recall correctly Diana and Charles only made one state visit here. Though they visited on other occasions separately Do you have the picture to share? I just read an article saying that this is Charles first State visit in almost 20 years.
Your memory is just fine Ennyllorac. In 1985, Diana made her one & only state visit to the USA. She only wore a tiara once while there.

Photo: Rex.

  #200  
Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
I know we are off topic but this is driving me crazy. I think I am getting forgetful but if I recall correctly Diana and Charles only made one state visit here. Though they visited on other occasions separately Do you have the picture to share? I just read an article saying that this is Charles first State visit in almost 20 years.

Now to get this back on topic, who knows the correct protocol? I know the Queen did wear a tiara when she visited George and Barbara Bush in the late 80's. Does Camilla wear one?
I believe they made two official visits during Reagan's presidency, while the Queen made one, but I could be wrong.

As far as I know, the protocol for wearing a tiara at the White House is that it is acceptable for a Sovereign as Head of State as well as a crown prince/princess representing the Sovereign as head of state of the country.

All other royals are forbidden to wear a tiara at the White House because it symbolizes the temporal power of a throne, which is considered to be inappropriate in the presence of the President of the United States.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011 jcbcode99 Royal Jewels 689 08-31-2011 01:23 PM
Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 5: November 2007 - February 2008 Warren Royal Jewels 203 02-02-2008 08:22 PM
Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 4: February-November 2007 Warren Royal Jewels 198 11-13-2007 02:19 AM
Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 3: Nov 2005 - Feb 2007 Warren Royal Jewels 288 02-04-2007 02:43 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince oscar princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's daytime outfits psychopath queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikh hamdan bin mohammed state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises