The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Thanks for the information!
I'd assumed William and Kate spent the Easter with Kate's family, however it is a pleasant surprise to know they instead opted to spend it with Charles and Camilla (and possibly, Camilla's family).
Same here - pleasant surprise. Also very cool to see Charles driving. I know the King of Sweden drives regularly. Its nice to see.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

So they stayed at Balmoral in Scotland?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Apparently so and we do know they (well alteast Charles I assume)spent Saturday at Camilla's house in Wiltshire with her children. Tom wrote about it in his blog on the dailymail

Here's another article about how they spent Easter
How Kate Middleton and Prince William Celebrated Easter - UsMagazine.com

Here's Tom's blog published on the 7th
Why Easter Sunday is the greatest festival of all (and an excuse for a damned good lunch!) | Mail Online
Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Apparently so and we do know they (well alteast Charles I assume)spent Saturday at Camilla's house in Wiltshire with her children. Tom wrote about it in his blog on the dailymail

Here's another article about how they spent Easter
How Kate Middleton and Prince William Celebrated Easter - UsMagazine.com

Here's Tom's blog published on the 7th
Why Easter Sunday is the greatest festival of all (and an excuse for a damned good lunch!) | Mail Online
Actually, Tom only suggests that he is at his mothers house in Wiltshire (Raymill). My guess is that C&C spent the Easter weekend at Birkhall with Wills & Kate, whilst Tom and other members of the PB clan were at Ray Mill. He talks about an age range of up to 72 - could that be Andrew PB?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I would have thought they would have been staying at Birkhall on the Balmoral Estate which is Charles' base there. And I can't see where it says in the article by Tom Parker-Bowles that his mother is going to be there - have I missed it?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I would have thought they would have been staying at Birkhall on the Balmoral Estate which is Charles' base there. And I can't see where it says in the article by Tom Parker-Bowles that his mother is going to be there - have I missed it?

It doesn't say that Camilla would be there. Rather Tom PB wrote in his weekly food column that he was writing it at ' his mother's house' ( which we assume to be Raymill since that's the base Tom and Laura have in the country). He also writes that he was making lunch for 20 people aged from 2 to 72. ( Using some assumptions again, Andrew PB is 72 and Tom's son and twin nephews are 2 years old.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Anyone know when William is going back to work?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Anyone know when William is going back to work?
I've read that it is today (Tuesday 10th) but having a senior blonde moment cos I cant remember where.

Also read that they are doing 2 or 3 events together towards the end of the month.

Thank you Charlotte for the info egarding TPB

Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I've read that it is today (Tuesday 10th) but having a senior blonde moment cos I cant remember where.
You read it here - because I just read it, too. On one of these threads.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Good job someone knows what's going on - thank-you

Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

It makes sense that William would make an effort to see his father over the holiday. C&C were on their Scandinavian tour when Wills returned from his tour and W &K went skiing before they returned.... William had not seen his father in a few months. Nice that not every holiday has to be photo op.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is it not possible that William did a few shifts last week? Do we know when they got back? It's a very short hop from Angelsey to Scotland for the weekend.

One of the very, very few advantages of working 12 hour shifts is that you tend to get blocks of days off. So my father (who also works 12 hr shifts) would work a few days, then have say 4 days off and work another 3-4 days. William could very easily go to Scotland for the weekend without having to take any time off.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Is it not possible that William did a few shifts last week? Do we know when they got back? It's a very short hop from Angelsey to Scotland for the weekend.

One of the very, very few advantages of working 12 hour shifts is that you tend to get blocks of days off. So my father (who also works 12 hr shifts) would work a few days, then have say 4 days off and work another 3-4 days. William could very easily go to Scotland for the weekend without having to take any time off.
I agree, William could well have returned to work last week after skiing.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Is it 12 or 24-hour shifts? For some reason I thought it was the latter. 12 hours isn't incredibly long given that it is quite common in other military as well as civilian careers. The block of days off would also make more sense, though I realise your father does 12-hour shifts and also gets time off similarly.

Forgive my ignorance, can someone post a link, etc. that says 12 hours shifts for William so that I can correct myself
Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
It doesn't say that Camilla would be there. Rather Tom PB wrote in his weekly food column that he was writing it at ' his mother's house' ( which we assume to be Raymill since that's the base Tom and Laura have in the country). He also writes that he was making lunch for 20 people aged from 2 to 72. ( Using some assumptions again, Andrew PB is 72 and Tom's son and twin nephews are 2 years old.

For clarification the actual quote
Quote:
I’m writing this at my mother’s house in Wiltshire. I’m plonked in her study, where the internet connection is temperamental, but the view sublime.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Is it 12 or 24-hour shifts? For some reason I thought it was the latter. 12 hours isn't incredibly long given that it is quite common in other military as well as civilian careers. The block of days off would also make more sense, though I realise your father does 12-hour shifts and also gets time off similarly.

Forgive my ignorance, can someone post a link, etc. that says 12 hours shifts for William so that I can correct myself
Graduation day for Prince William, the search and rescue helicopter pilot | Mail Online

up to 10 - 24 hour shifts per month, according to this article from when he first graduated.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just assumed they were 12 hour shifts, thanks for the article sndral, his shifts could actually be considerably longer. He could conceivably 'only' work 2 days per week if he's working 24 hour shifts.

I know there are always 2 pilots in the helicopter and no doubt they get used to it, but surely it's not a great idea to send a helicopter pilot who's been on duty for 20+ hours into gale force winds in the Irish Sea to try and undertake rescue operations?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I just assumed they were 12 hour shifts, thanks for the article sndral, his shifts could actually be considerably longer. He could conceivably 'only' work 2 days per week if he's working 24 hour shifts.

I know there are always 2 pilots in the helicopter and no doubt they get used to it, but surely it's not a great idea to send a helicopter pilot who's been on duty for 20+ hours into gale force winds in the Irish Sea to try and undertake rescue operations?
I think if he's working a 24 hour shift, that means his shift requires him to be on station and ready to fly at any given moment. In doing search and rescues, response time is very important. Some days they may not even have a call to respond to but they're ready. I imagine while he's on base there are sleeping, eating and lounging quarters. They also have to be sure that their helicopter and equipment is ready to fly. I imagine too that if its run anywhere like here, its required that there is no alcohol for 12 hours before a shift. They're always well rested and alert on any rescue they go on.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Courtier

I'd guess that search and rescue is a lot like firemen here, they sleep @ the station, cook at the station (and some are really good cooks - never turn down an invite to eat @ a fire station, btw!) wash their firetrucks and the like, but if an alarm sounds they drop everything and spring into action.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Graduation day for Prince William, the search and rescue helicopter pilot | Mail Online

up to 10 - 24 hour shifts per month, according to this article from when he first graduated.
Quote:

Thank you both. So we can assume that some days could be 12 hours and some up to 24 hours? Glad I somewhat understand how it works now.

Closed Thread