The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Courtier

As an Englishman, from a monarchist family. i can say i have never heard HMQ referred to as 'Betty'. 'Lilibet', yes, 'Betty' NO !

Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 AM
Majesty

The only time I have ever heard 'Betty' is in those satirical programmes or in articles that satire her but never by anyone who actually knows her in person e.g. Philip calls her 'cabbage' I believe while her cousins still call her 'Lilibet' or 'Elizabeth' but never 'Betty'.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 AM
Nobility

There is no way. And there is no tradition of abdicating in GB like we have seen in the Netherlands. She is really popular and a beloved queen. And she doesn't seem fragile or weak for her duties, as we see her attend the important ones regularly. Even if she doesn't want to attend, she has lots of close family members to represent her.
I would also like her to stay, so that she can break some records.
Long Live the Queen.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Commoner

I couldn't agree more. She is only two years and two months away from beating the record of Victoria and she has done her job so perfectly she should continue as long as possible she can still be Queen and pass on more work to Charles/William/Harry and as she gets older do the most important roles e.g. opening Parliament/xmas message/C of E duties etc and let the younger royals do the day to day stuff
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Nobility

I think there is a better chance of her running down The Mall wearing nothing but the Crown Jewels than abdicating.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
OK that is a mental image I did not need.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
OK that is a mental image I did not need.
While a mental imagine that I didn't need... I almost want to see this happen now.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
As an Englishman, from a monarchist family. i can say i have never heard HMQ referred to as 'Betty'. 'Lilibet', yes, 'Betty' NO !
I have often heard HMQ called 'Liz Windsor', both in everyday life and in the tabloidsm and she has been called Mrs Windsor by republican groups and polititians in Ireland, but I have never come across her being called Betty.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Nobility

I would like to see Prince Philip at least retire this year. There is no reason for him to still be working so hard at his time of life. He could still attend all the important events with the Queen, but he could spend the rest of the time with his family, including 4 new great grandchildren.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I would like to see Prince Philip at least retire this year. There is no reason for him to still be working so hard at his time of life. He could still attend all the important events with the Queen, but he could spend the rest of the time with his family, including 4 new great grandchildren.
Although I believe The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh deserve some rest, I don't think they want it. In my opinion, Her Majesty and His Royal Highness acquire all their stamina from their work. In my opinion, both will quickly fade away if they stop serving the country and the Commonwealth the way they believe it's their duty.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Philip was never required to do anything to support The Queen - he had actually done his job before she became The Queen as the father of the heir and the spare. He has chosen to devote himself to her service for over 60 years and will continue to do that until his dying day. He also made two promises to her - one on their wedding day and another on her coronation day when he promised to be her 'liege man of life and limb' so the only way he will stop doing public duties is if his sovereign orders him to do so - but she won't do that because she loves him and knows that he enjoys appearing in public and working in that way.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Royal View Post
Although I believe The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh deserve some rest, I don't think they want it. In my opinion, Her Majesty and His Royal Highness acquire all their stamina from their work. In my opinion, both will quickly fade away if they stop serving the country and the Commonwealth the way they believe it's their duty.
I agree Royal_Royal.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I have often heard HMQ called 'Liz Windsor', both in everyday life and in the tabloidsm and she has been called Mrs Windsor by republican groups and polititians in Ireland, but I have never come across her being called Betty.
I believe she was referred to as Baby Betty by the press when she was a baby, late 1920's. Read it in some biography or another.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Nobility

I was reading some online news articles from Philip's 90th birthday which said he would retire from public life at 90 but he is still going strong nearly 3 years on
Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I strongly believe that HM will never abdicate! (Obviously if she stay healthy as she is)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I was reading some online news articles from Philip's 90th birthday which said he would retire from public life at 90 but he is still going strong nearly 3 years on
I doubt any of the retirement nonsense actually came from Philip. It was probably all made up.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Nobility

Don't think she will abdicate as long as she feels that she can do her duty. It's all about health at this age and from what we see of her she appears to be in a very good health for a woman of her age.
I do belive that she wants to break Victorias record before even think about retirement. What i fear is what will happen with her health if Philip leaves her and us during the way. It's not uncommon for older couples who have been together during almost their whole life that when the first one dies, the other follows not long after.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Don't think she will abdicate as long as she feels that she can do her duty. It's all about health at this age and from what we see of her she appears to be in a very good health for a woman of her age.
I do belive that she wants to break Victorias record before even think about retirement. What i fear is what will happen with her health if Philip leaves her and us during the way. It's not uncommon for older couples who have been together during almost their whole life that when the first one dies, the other follows not long after.
Although I'm sure HM knows what Victoria's record is, I don't think it really has any impact on her resolve to keep doing her job as long as she can. You mentioned how it could/would affect her should Philip be gone. I'm of the mind that thinks that it will be her dutiful resolve that just might get her through the grieving period. She's a strong willed woman and although we have to know that she'll miss Philip terribly, she's not of the kind that would sequester herself away for years like Victoria did.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I couldn't agree more !
Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Majesty

I think The Queen will try to go on as much as she can, until she can't go on anymore. You just never know what tomorrow will bring and I think she takes things one day at a time.

The palace is already prepared for when she's too ill to do things and Charles will have to step in on her behalf. I just don't think the media and public are prepared for any of it.

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement