The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I can see Prince Charles gradually undertaking more of the Queen's duties as she grows more elderly and is less physically able to do things; but I can't imagine her voluntarily stepping back at any particular time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
I find suggestions that the Queen will go into a 'retirement' after the Diamond Jubilee and for Chalres to undertake most of her duties odd. then I cannot see her giving up the role she pledged her life to carry out.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that as long as Her Majesty is healthy and can continue to be active then I don't see her abdicating at all. I think she knows how much she can and cannot handle. If she feels the need to step down, enjoy the rest of her life and let Charles take over then she will. I think she has fulfilled her duties as Queen and has done them beautifully.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent

As the Queen becomes older and more frail Charles and the younger crew will lighten her load but, HM will not abdicate. Not now, not ever. She vowed to her duty for life and unlike criminals there is no time off for good behavior!

Should the worse come to the worse, Charles could become Regent before he becomes King. Either way she will be buried as Queen Elizabeth not some made up sort of title like . . . . . Dowager Queen!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

The history of her ancestors has several long-lived people in it:

George III - even though mentally incapacitated
Queen Charlotte
Queen Victoria
Queen Alexandra
Queen Mary
Queen Elizabeth, QM

and she has herself gone on to 84 now and is still upright & healthy.
So, I can see her reigning on for another 10 years - hopefully!!!

I hope to be in London and see her on her Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in June 2012....

Larry
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Commoner

Like any woman she has her mindset on something and when she's ready she is going to let her next heir take there rightful place.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Nobility

The Queen is proving to be a right tough old bird just like her mother. No way will she ever abdicate.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Majesty

The next king will reach the throne one way and one way only - after Elizabeth II has died.
She regards it as her God given duty to serve as the monarch until death and only God can take her from that appointed role. She will never abdicate. She may allow Charles to do more things for her but she will remain as the monarch until death.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

# Vecchiolarry:
It's great that you want to see the Queen on her Diamond Jubilee!

I think that she is such an exceptional monarch that it will be impossible to find another like her.

Many of us "more mature" persons are fervently wishing for the Queen to hang on for as long as possible!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 AM
Majesty

110 years ago people were saying the same thing about Victoria and guess what - the world has found another monarch like Victoria.

History shows that Victoria's heirs were as good as she was at doing their job (with the exception of Edward VIII) and I do believe that the heirs of Elizabeth will be the same. The problem is that so many of us have never experienced another monarch so we are worried about change which her death will mean but that doesn't mean that a future monarch won't be as good.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

The only way that Elizabeth will be living and NOT H.M The Queen is if the UK (and the other 16 commonwealth realms) abolish the monarchy! Charles (or William, if Charles should predecease his mother) may become Regent but will never be sovereign until the "The Queen is Dead; long live the King" moment.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Gentry

shes not abdicating

Elizabeth has recently said she doesn't intend to abdicate.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post

When did she say this?

Can you post a link please?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Courtier

I really doubt she would ever abdicate because I don't think she considers the British Throne to be a mere " employement", I feel she sees of her position more as a life long duty. So, if there is ever a need for someone to replace her in her lifetime I think there would be a regency, just like things were done in the past, not abdication. But I really think she will ghand over duties to the next generation in a few years because , even if it tunrs out she is a long lived person like her mother I don't think that a woman if her mid 90s lets say , no matter how sharp her mind is, would be able to travel abroad (Australia, Canada etc) or even inside the country if the weather is bad.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
I've looked to find a recent article and cannot find one.
I have found several older articles one says yes, she will abdicate, the other says she will not. All articles say they have it from "reliable sources".
Old 05-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Sometimes I wonder who and where these "reliable sources" are.

It's the same as "they" - who are 'they'?

Certainly I think you will agree, that The Queen would not abdicate before her Diamond Jubilee!!!
After that, I can see her retiring more and more into the background as far as public appearances go; but carrying on he constitutional monarchical duties....
Victoria, Mary and the Queen Mother all held their mental capabilities right up until death and so should The Queen, one would think....
I'm not sure about Alexandra at the end, but she was deaf so maybe she was OK too but just couldn't hear; a touch vague perhaps!!! But, her mother Queen Louise was cognazant in her old age and she's an ancestor of The Queen.
The prognosise is good I think for The Queen to carry on till death....

Long Live The Queen!!!

Larry
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post

Sometimes I wonder who and where these "reliable sources" are.

It's the same as "they" - who are 'they'?
They Larry! You know, the THEY people. THEM. They are kind of like the Keebler elves that go around and clean up Vegas at some nebulous hour so it looks all sparkling clean in the morning. You know THEY are there, you just can't see THEM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I've looked to find a recent article and cannot find one.
I have found several older articles one says yes, she will abdicate, the other says she will not. All articles say they have it from "reliable sources".

There is a difference between what sources say and what the Queen says. I too have read various sources (for well over 30 years mind you) saying that she intends to abdicate and that she has no intention of abdication but my question was in relation to a definitive statement Elizabeth has recently said she doesn't intend to abdicate. This is what I have never seen or heard and what I am looking for - Elizabeth saying something herself not 'sources close to her' etc.

The only statement I can remember her making was made 63 years ago in South Africa and is along the lines of: 'No matter how long my life it will be dedicated to the service of my people' I don't have the exact words in front of me but the Queen takes what she says very seriously and that comment made on her 21 st birthday will hold true until such time as God calls her to her eternal rest.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, until they hear from HM herself, it's all conjecture.
Long Live The Queen, BTW!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Nobility

The British Coronation service is very religious and very serious. The Queen, it has always been said, takes her Coronation promises very seriously. She has lived through the traumatic time when her Uncle David (Edward VIII) abdicated, which was felt to be a total abnegation of his duty and obligations. She does not think that 'Kingship' is something that you just decide to give up.

Even if she becomes infirm physically and mentally, the tradition is that that there would be a Regent (just as there is if a Monarch is under 18), until such time as she died.

I can see her gradually handing over more and more duties to Prince Charles - in fact I think this is beginning to happen. After all, she is 84!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy

I can remember seeing a "Royal" programme on TV, where The Queen was complaining that she could not resign, unlike a Dean of Windsor or some other religious person. She was in the process of appointing someone to the vacant position.

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement