Heir Apparent

There was no confidentiality agreement....another Sarah fiction apparently,

Link to details of settlement etc
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...3-million.html

Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I understand you care, but you`re posting on a royalty forum. I doubt most Americans follow royalty much, and when they do, see them as minor celebrities. Oprah has a huge audience, so 40-some negative comments on her website don`t really amount to an angry backlash, IMO.

The Daily Mail probably gets twice as many negative comments as that every day on an average royal-bashing article.
I understand what BagPrincess is saying. You're right, most Americans do not follow royalty. Actually most Americans think Queen Elizabeth is the only queen. I agree, 40 comments is not angry backlash. These people need to get it right.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Most Americans don't care, because in the end result this is petty nonsense. On a site such as this these disscusions can go on for days, but in the real world, with real problems, this is junk. Sarah, is Sarah. Andrew is Andrew. Nothing really happened. And influence peddling is done every day. The RF accepts big gifts, from many different places, that hang around their necks. That, too, in influence peddling. It just isn't look at askance by those who accept and wear them. The whole big "scandal" in a world beset by major problems is such utter nonsense.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Administrator

If you are comparing Sarah's settlement with the the wealth of the Royal Family, yes I would agree that it doesn't look good but lets take something things into consideration....

1) Sarah has never had to struggle as most divorced women do. So, she didn't get a lot of money from Andrew as it was based on his naval salary.. but she did receive something. Andrew never had his driver's license canceled because he didn't pay his alimony.
2) Sarah has never struggled to put food on the table for Beatrice and Eugenie nor has she ever had to worry about where they would sleep or who would pay their school fees. That was all taken care of by Andrew and again, he has never lost the right to drive or his income tax refund because he was behind on his child support and alimony payments.
3) Sarah has had the ability to work and has done so, VERY WELL I might add since their divorce. Is it Andrew or the Queen's fault that after many years, she STILL DOESN"T know how to live within her means?
4) Sarah has lived with Andrew since their divorce and I am going to go out on a limb and say she has never had to kick in any money to pay the mortgage and/or the electric bill. And Andrew isn't living in some small house in the suburbs. She is living nice.

It looks like the Queen might have forked over some money to Sarah (as she did to Diana) when the marriage ended. Must she continuously bail out Sarah because of Sarah's mistakes? I, for one, have always defended Sarah and looked the other way when people complained that she was living off her title and such, because honestly, as Sarah, Duchess of York...what kind of job was she really going to get to make an honest living.

What she needed to do (or it might be hard to now because of the scandal) was to try to become a member of a Board for a major corporation. Not sure how it is in the UK, but they are usually paid a nice bit of change. She could have made a couple of millions off of that per year. Of course, she would need to make sure the company was legit and didn't have sweatshops or some other illegal activity.

And really, Sarah can't be totally blamed for losing all of her money. I mean, a lot of wealthy people lost TONS of money when the markets tanked (IRA's, stocks, etc.). I, for one have only taken one Economics course, but doesn't everyone know that you should put some of your money (if you are in the lucky position to be able to save money) in a safe account? I mean, you earn one dollar, fifty cents of that goes to your bills, twenty five is risky investments, and the other twenty five cents goes into your piggy bank never to be touched? Her problem was that she failed to tone down her style of living.

And finally, I would be hesitant to believe any tabloid Headline about this whole mess! Its all about a catchy title, and try to get people interested in reading your article based on a headline. Why lets something like the truth get in the facts of that?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Administrator

All posts regarding Sarah and suicide have been deleted.

Let's move on.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
What in this whole influence peddling scandal would you characterize as legal, or even remotely ethical?
I never said it was ethical but it is perfectly legal to offer to introduce two people for money. That is all she did - offer to introduce person A to person B for a fee and that is legal and is done all the time.

Whether it is ethical is a separate issue and I have never gone there as what I might see as ethical another might not.

There was no crime committed by Sarah (by the 'fake sheikh' on the other hand - I have massive problems with the legality of his actions but as he has done this at least twice before to members of the BRF that also must be legal or he would have been stopped before now).
Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergalicious View Post
Yes I think that is true. I feel sorry for Sarah. The press has destroyed her live.
The press, the salacious public who loved the way the press turned on her in the 1980s and have never let her get up from being down and her own actions, often triggered by her devastation at the way things turned out.

Imagine how she must have felt in 1986 with the cheers on her wedding day and then nothing but negative headlines about her clothes and her weight and even leaving Beatrice in England to spend some time with her husband when he was in Australia. Nothing she did was ever right in the eyes of the press who in turn made the public hate her as well so she went off the rails. Remember the early press reports were usually about how badly she dressed in comparison to their pin-up Diana. By the end of 1986 she must have already been getting depressed and this is the result.

People can be very cruel and when it is anonymous even more so but for the victim of this bullying (and that is what it is) it is a very real feeling of despair.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
4) Sarah has lived with Andrew since their divorce and I am going to go out on a limb and say she has never had to kick in any money to pay the mortgage and/or the electric bill. And Andrew isn't living in some small house in the suburbs. She is living nice.
Correct me if I'm wrong on this but isn't it rather recently that Andrew offered her a room in the Royal Lodge? Perhaps since October or something when financial crisis really hit Sarah? I didn't think that they've lived together since the divorce.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Sarah, to my knowledge has not had a place to call her own since they divorced and the place she lived in the UK burned down. I am sure someone can provide a name and date, but since that time she hasn't "lived" with Andrew but moreso stayed with him when she was in the UK.

The Queen Mother has been dead since what 2002? I am thinking she had at least stayed with Andrew for the last three to four years, so that 2006....and I am trying to give her a cushion of a year or two.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The press, the salacious public who loved the way the press turned on her in the 1980s and have never let her get up from being down and her own actions, often triggered by her devastation at the way things turned out.

Imagine how she must have felt in 1986 with the cheers on her wedding day and then nothing but negative headlines about her clothes and her weight and even leaving Beatrice in England to spend some time with her husband when he was in Australia. Nothing she did was ever right in the eyes of the press who in turn made the public hate her as well so she went off the rails. Remember the early press reports were usually about how badly she dressed in comparison to their pin-up Diana. By the end of 1986 she must have already been getting depressed and this is the result.

People can be very cruel and when it is anonymous even more so but for the victim of this bullying (and that is what it is) it is a very real feeling of despair.
I do think back then with Andrew and Sarah following somewhat close behind Charles and Diana getting married that the press did do an awful lot of comparisons between the two newlywed brides and most was NOT favorable for Sarah. I remember headlines of "Duchess of Pork" and when Diana hit London with Sarah it was "wild". It must have been a blessing I think for both Diana and Sarah to pal up in the early years. Sarah was alone without Andrew around (Sarah has remarked that when Andrew WAS home.. he'd prefer to play couch potato) and Diana preferred London to the quiet countryside that Charles loves so much. Perhaps back then too Sarah's natural outgoing nature did a bit to bring the "shy Di" out of her shell and they did find solace in each other. This I think is what Sarah referred to in the interview in a roundabout way referring to Diana.

The press can and will nose out any story to have a scoop before anyone else and even blow the headlines out of realism to get folks to buy the paper and read the latest "scandal". If you're in the public eye though you learn that early on.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The press can and will nose out any story to have a scoop before anyone else and even blow the headlines out of realism to get folks to buy the paper and read the latest "scandal". If you're in the public eye though you learn that early on.
No one can learn to live with being criticised all the time with no positive comments. The uncaring comments that have been passed about Sarah on here and elsewhere since 1986 would make anyone who was born into the public life despair but a woman who came to it in adult life would never truly cope.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Sarah, to my knowledge has not had a place to call her own since they divorced and the place she lived in the UK burned down. I am sure someone can provide a name and date, but since that time she hasn't "lived" with Andrew but moreso stayed with him when she was in the UK.

The Queen Mother has been dead since what 2002? I am thinking she had at least stayed with Andrew for the last three to four years, so that 2006....and I am trying to give her a cushion of a year or two.
Thanks Zonk.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Administrator

It's not new that Sarah has great difficulty managing her finances and living within her means. She had the lucrative Weight Watchers contract and odd jobs such as promoting Wedgewood and, credit to her, paid off her previous debts. But she's now back in the same situation she found herself in years ago but with greatly reduced commercial credibility.

So here's my rhetorical question...
Why hadn't someone close to her (friends, advisers, ex-husband, children, accountant, business associates) insisted she get professional assistance in managing her financial affairs? If she doesn't even know how much she owes at this stage of the game (as stated in the Oprah interview) then there's no helping her.

Surely someone has to step in and save Sarah from herself. It's not a crime being unable to manage money but it seems incredible to me that no-one who cared about her had taken firm action to ensure the situation didn't get completely out of hand as it obviously has now.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
If she didn't buy a house why would it be paid to her? That would just be throwing money at her to squander. Her daughters were well provided for so there would have been no expense to her there.

The money for the house was never paid as no house was ever bought.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Nobility

I had a hard time understanding the first half of the inteview not so much her words but her whole manner seems off to me.The things she was saying made so little sense half of it sounded like a little kid trying to explain things the other part with her talking in the third person was so strange.I think she needs guidence which clearly no one gives her.
I do feel bad for her but she needs a new direction.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
I had a hard time understanding the first half of the inteview not so much her words but her whole manner seems off to me.The things she was saying made so little sense half of it sounded like a little kid trying to explain things the other part with her talking in the third person was so strange.I think she needs guidence which clearly no one gives her.
I do feel bad for her but she needs a new direction.
I do think Oprah realized that too and that's one reason why the terms "downward spiral" "spiritually and morally bankrupt" and "addiction" were thrown at Sarah. They were terms to get Sarah to focus on herself and talk about herself and her actions. At the time of the interview I really don't think the severity of this whole mess had hit Sarah yet and perhaps it won't for a while.

Shock is the first reaction (was it wine or orange juice? I can't remember) then comes denial ("she looks exhausted") then anger and self mortification ("dark" Sarah, childhood and dad and mum and losing a best friend). What will seep in eventually I think if she works at it will be acceptance and hopefully build from that.

One thing is clear to me too. There is no way that Sarah could or would ever say anything negative about Andrew or the BRF. She did say that she'd not be in that chair unless it was OK for her to do so in Andrew's eyes and how great the Boss is. As much as the style Duchess of York is important to her, so is the family that style belongs to. That is one part of the interview that came across crystal clear to me. Her face even seemed to go soft at the time she talked about them.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Courtier

When I first watched the NoTW video, Sarah sounded so confident when she said she'd talked to Andrew, that at first I really thought she must have spoken to him about the money. Maybe not told him the details, but given him some hint about what she was doing.

But since both Buckingham Palace and Sarah have denied it, and Sarah told a totally different story on Oprah about not knowing where her head was (which is contradicted by her assertive behaviour in the video) I have to conclude that Sarah is telling different stories to different audiences.

Yes, I do know that if you look at her past history she may not always have been completely honest. Maybe I should be cynical all the time, but I tend to give grown adults the benefit of the doubt when it comes to whether they're telling the truth. I did think Sarah was a more or less honest person, but I'm not sure anymore.

I'm now wondering if no one helped Sarah out of her financial problems because she never admitted them. I remember when the stories of her financial problems first came out, some paper asked Andrew if Sarah was in as much trouble as it sounded, and he said, "Not if you look at the full facts" and "I've been vaguely aware that she's been in the papers." Considering they live in the same house, it sounded like an understatement. But maybe it wasn't and Andrew really didn't have much of a clue about Sarah's financial problems. And if Andrew didn't know, who would know? She must have someone taking care of her banking and investments, but it seems like Sarah was in complete denial about her debts. And I'm sure greed got the better of everyone she was doing business with, until they found themselves in debt and went to collect what she owed them.

This has to have been going on for a long time and I think NoTW was right when they said Sarah has made other similarly shady deals. I think that's partly why she seemed incoherent on Oprah. She says she doesn't recognize that person in the tabloid video, but I think that's just because that's not who she presents herself (and believes herself) to be, and this is the first time she's had to face that side of herself and admit it was wrong. Sarah is an adult, she knew what she was doing. It sounds like on Oprah she was trying to present her behaviour on the video as some kind of dark side she hadn't seen before, and now she just needs to deal with the demons, etc, figure out why she's doing this...typical self-help talk. But I think Sarah knew that side of herself was there all along and, unfortunately, she didn't see what she was doing as particularly wrong until she got caught. Everything was all about keeping up the lifestyle, staving off the creditors and maintaining the facade of being "the Duchess of York."
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Another observation just popped into my head here.

When Oprah was interviewing Sarah, although she was billed as Duchess of York, what I saw was Oprah addressing concerns to Sarah Ferguson.

Still bugs me though.. as an ex wife of Andrew, why is she still referred to as Ferguson? This is really a pet peeve of mine. Anyone know how she signed the marriage register and if on divorce she reverted to her maiden name?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Courtier

It shouldn´t bug you about a surname, royal families really don´t have a surname, they have lots of given names but they belong to the "House of Whatever"
Really the only actual surname she has ever had is Ferguson. Having Duchess of York after her name is fine but after this fiasco she would be much better to forget this and try to go back to her former way of living even though I believe the man she lived with before her marriage was a very wealthy man.
As to someone taking her in hand and giving her advice, if you read Starkie´s book (he was there and saw it happen over and over again) she just agrees and then doesn´t take the advice or goes off at a tangent.
I woud like to be sorry for her but I am not. I am digusted with her, and another thing that bugs me, but you will have to read the Starke book to find out what I am referring to, is the necklace with the letters GB she always wore, as it was the pet name her father gave her.
She has gone through more money in a short time than most people will ever see in their lifetimes.
The Queen offered to buy her a house after the divorce, she didn´t buy it? Why? The house that burnt was because she left a candle burning when she went out, but it was rented.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duchess of York faces US backlash following Oprah appearance - Telegraph

there is no end to her self centeredness and greed