Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: July 17, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like you’re comment just proves my point, Eugenie and Margaret wouldn’t haven’t worn it if it was tradition for the senior princesses (neither were).

Mary was the senior princess in her time and didn’t wear it for her wedding. Margaret as a daughter of the sovereign and not simply a grandchild was far more senior. Anne didn’t wear it because it was a tradition, she wore her mother’s wedding tiara. Beatrice doesn’t hold some higher status then her sister because she is older. Closer to the throne by one step but both still junior private royals.

Not turning this thread into another Andrew bashing, but we all know nothing as Andrew hasn’t been accused of anything. Alison H is quite right in that right now all Andrew has done wrong is have questionable friends.

That shouldn’t impact his daughters wedding day, and frankly i’m sorry they feel they can’t release pictures of Beatrice and Edo with Andrew and Sarah.

The Queen was originally supposed to have hosted a BP garden party for her granddaughter, which would have been a few hours long, although she may not have stayed for all of it.

They theoretically could have been up to a socially distanced lunch but she had other things to do. It seems unlikely that she went to the type of party it's being described as in the evening for various reasons but also no reason to think that she wouldn't have been up to going to a lunch or afternoon party under different circumstances.

I've got no idea what was planned. I only meant that the wedding itself was clearly a short service, and Im guessing there was no afternoon reception or post wedding lunch as the queen went on to knight that man soon afterwards. Possibly they had a small evening reception and maybe teh queen attended...

I agree Lumutqueen. They are a close family, so it's a pity that "the happiest divorced couple in the world" aren't in an official photo with their daughter. I wonder if they might include one in their annual Christmas card?

Th service only took half an hour apparently, probably as there could be no singing etc. So say it started at 10, they could be at Royal Lodge for the reception by 10.40 after pictures so HM and Phil (if they were spotted at 11.45) could still have spent an hour at the reception. Given there were only 15 people there that is a lot of time really.

I just think the tiara is the one Beatrice wanted, I don't think anyone said she had to wear it. Surely HM is no not so hung up on titles as to choose Bea to wear this over Zara (the eldest grandaughter) just because one is HRH.

HM is very conscious of the difference between having a title and not having one.

We also know, from past brides, that HM is the one who decides the tiara ...

Mary was the senior princess in her time and didn’t wear it for her wedding.

Might it be that Mary did not wear it for her wedding as she only had the tiara made a few decades after her wedding to George V?

The service started at 11 am according to reports and the Queen and PP were seen driving away at 11.45am presumably after pictures. She then Knighted Sir Tom Moore at 3pm.

The party that the DM (I Know) have detailed was in the evening and the Queen isn't said to have attended. It sounds a little like a slimmed down version of Eugenie's "funfair". They could have had something we aren't aware of slotted in there in the late afternoon or even Saturday or today.

I was originally replying to a post saying that HM and PP were too old and would have been too tired to have gone to the celebrations, having also performed an investiture in the afternoon as well. I was querying because HM had originally be down to attend the wedding then host a garden party for several hours.

The service started at 11 am according to reports and the Queen and PP were seen driving away at 11.45am presumably after pictures. She then Knighted Sir Tom Moore at 3pm.

The party that the DM (I Know) have detailed was in the evening and the Queen isn't said to have attended. It sounds a little like a slimmed down version of Eugenie's "funfair". They could have had something we aren't aware of slotted in there in the late afternoon or even Saturday or today.

I was originally replying to a post saying that HM and PP were too old and would have been too tired to have gone to the celebrations, having also performed an investiture in the afternoon as well. I was querying because HM had originally be down to attend the wedding then host a garden party for several hours.

I dont think seh does' more than an hour or so at these garden parties..

Beatrice is the senior princess in her generation.

That is what people are saying - that it is becoming a tradition for the senior princess in each generation - Elizabeth was senior to both Margaret and Alexandra, Anne was the only princess and now Beatrice as the senior princess in her generation.

Thank you for succinctly pointing out what I’ve been unable to do so.

HM is very conscious of the difference between having a title and not having one.

It was also said that there was a strict protocol for tiaras and Beatrice would never be in line to wear any major ones because she was "just a York" and nobody in terms of the core Firm, disregarding any personal connection to her grandmother or that she was potentially allowed to choose.

Zara wore one from her mother's collection, passed down from Princess Alice.

Kate apparently wanted a small one and chose/was guided to the Halo scroll, Eugenie apparently wanted a coloured stone and surprised everyone.

Now Beatrice has surprised everyone in a different way in both dress and tiara. I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules.

It could be a tradition of the "senior princess" in each generation, it's also just as likely to have been a gesture of love and support or Beatrice's admiration of the tiara.

I dont think seh does' more than an hour or so at these garden parties..

True, but that might not have been the case for her granddaughter's wedding. It doesn't really matter, she was busy in the afternoon and appears not to have gone to the evening (socially distanced!) knees up.

Last edited by a moderator:

She is really not. She let's her own family choose. She can be dictatorial with the married ins. As in this is the one you can have.

I just think people think she is grander than she is. All the ladies, with the possible exception of Meghan, the tiaras meant something to them. It was the type they wanted. Rumours about Meghan's withstanding.

Last edited:
True, but that might not have been the case for her granddaughter's wedding. It doesn't really matter, she was busy in the afternoon and appears not to have gone to the evening (socially distanced!) knees up.

Perhaps not. I doubt if Philip would have gone either..

Too much Andrew-Sarah hate in so many comments on this board and others. Bottom line --- they are good parents to their daughters. Their daughters love them. QEII loves and supports her granddaughter -- exhibited so many times, but none more so than when she gave Beatrice on of her own dresses and allowed her to wear a tiara of great historical significance.

Game, set, match --- family loyalty!

She is really not. She let's her own family choose. She can be dictatorial with the married ins. As in this is the one you can have.

I just think people think she is grander than she is. All the ladies, with the possible exception of Meghan, the tiaras meant something to them. It was the type they wanted. Rumours about Meghan's withstanding.

How do you know “she is really not”? Have you met The Queen and had conversations about this subject.

Evidence points to the contrary from words of her own grandsons William and Henry.

What did the tiaras mean to Catherine, Eugenie and Beatrice exactly?

Did anyone else see the pictures Edo had shared on his Instagram? They had only just been posted, but I wasn't able to share the link. Now they are gone. 3 shots of the couple that must have been taken in the garden at Royal Lodge.

I think the main reason the Queen and Prince Philip didn't stay was to limit their exposure to the other guests. No one wants them to get sick. Beatrice would be devastated if they hot sick at her wedding.

Beatrice and Eugenie were as Cendrillon's sisters at William and Kate's wedding....
They are 2 great Brides.

Awww great pictures! Wish them the best.

I believe this also. This was the first time they had left "isolation" at the Castle itself so I doubt anyone thought it sensible for them to stay for hours eating and drinking on their first visit out.

Plus, the Queen and Philip are often said to leave the younger generations to party at the weddings. She left Zara and Mike's before the evening event and likewise at the others I believe. So staying for a short amount of time after this one then leaving the Yorks and Edos family to it is what she would usually do anyway.

I guess those were embargoed for some publication. Oops.

Is it true that the wedding was officiated by Queen Elizabeth II's personal chaplain Mark Poll?

Both the bride and the groom appear to have wedding rings on. I wonder if that indicates they decided to be married in the normal Common Worship wedding service (as seen in the Sussex wedding) rather than the older Series One alternative service (as seen in the Cambridge and Brooksbank weddings), seeing as in the Series One service only the groom gives a ring to his spouse.

They probably did use Common Worship, that's the preferred version in the Church of England and the current advice is to keep it as short and simple as possible. However I have seen people use the BCP version or at least a more traditional language version with two rings. They simply add in the same for a man just as the Common Worship version doesn't have to have two rings exchanged, although that is more usual they refer to it in some texts as the exchanging of the ring(s).

Thanks! I wondered about it as the linked Church of England worship texts include notes on optional modifications in the Common Worship service (including the option of using only one ring), whereas the texts of the Series One and Book of Common Prayer services do not list any allowed modifications, other than for omitting "obey" in the Series One service. On the other hand, Princess Eugenie used the Series One service but was allowed to add in at least one line from Common Worship. I am glad to hear that modifications to the older services are in practice allowed even for ordinary weddings.

Beatrice is the senior princess in her generation.

That is what people are saying - that it is becoming a tradition for the senior princess in each generation - Elizabeth was senior to both Margaret and Alexandra, Anne was the only princess and now Beatrice as the senior princess in her generation.

Mary was the senior princess in her time and didn’t wear it for her wedding. Margaret as a daughter of the sovereign and not simply a grandchild was far more senior. Anne didn’t wear it because it was a tradition, she wore her mother’s wedding tiara. Beatrice doesn’t hold some higher status then her sister because she is older. Closer to the throne by one step but both still junior private royals.

Princess Mary married in 1922, long before this (possibly accidental) tradition began with Elizabeth in 1947.

Princess Margaret, as Iluvbertie pointed out, was not the most senior princess in her generation, as that distinction belonged to her sister Princess (Queen) Elizabeth.

Princess Beatrice is only one step above her sister, but that nevertheless means she is a step above her in regard to both succession and precedence.

Last edited:

I think I am correct in saying that the bride makes the final decision but from a selection of the queens choosing.

IMO the queen offers her blood relatives a different selection. Something with a more personal attachment.

I think I am correct in saying that the bride makes the final decision but from a selection of the queens choosing.

IMO the queen offers her blood relatives a different selection. Something with a more personal attachment.

The bride probably says what she wants and is directed accordingly from a small group to choose. But that has only been the Wales boys wives and the york girls. The rest chose from their respective mothers in law. There were none in the Wales boys case as Diana's tiaras reverted and Beatrice and Eugenie's parents are divorced. Autumn and Zara choosing from P. Anne collection. Zara choosing one belonging to her great grandmother (Phillip's mother), another gorgeous touch.

That all the grandchildren adore their grandparents is clear to see. And I also think that, despite the failings if their parents, the York girls are a credit to anyone. Just brilliant. I also think it is fair to point out that they had a stable family life despite their parents divorce. I mean their parents basically stayed together.

I have serious doubts over this rumour of the way she forces them to choose. All this about Meghan wanting Eugenie's. But she clearly didn't want a coloured stone. The one she wore is often worn with a sapphire. So the Queen arranged for the tiara and a loan of diamonds to put in the centre. I mean really. She couldn't have had things any better.

She let's them have what they want...within reason.

Last edited:
Lovely symbolism with the choices.

Beatrice: the bride
Elizabeth: the dress
Mary: the tiara

I've got no idea what was planned. I only meant that the wedding itself was clearly a short service, and Im guessing there was no afternoon reception or post wedding lunch as the queen went on to knight that man soon afterwards. Possibly they had a small evening reception and maybe teh queen attended...

Both DM and CNN and People Magazine reported that canapes, champagne and luncheon were served in an elaborate tent at Royal Lodge directly after the wedding.

At night there was a formal dinner at Royal Lodge with Andrew and the groom making toasts

In other words the fact that the queen had an engagement to rush off to does not mean there the celebration ended.

Whatever you want to say about the Yorks, they took circumstances that were challenging at best and horrible at worst...and produced what is perhaps the most romantic and poignant Royal wedding in a generation. It had none of the pomp, celebrities, or crowds
of the other weddings but combined romance and simplicity to outclass them all. Simply my opinion of course.

After all the years of unkind bullying comments online and in print about her granddaughter's looks, fashion sense, love life, bad fortune etc...the queen herself stepped in to act as Fairy Godmother to Cinderella Beatrice and give her a dream wedding that a few Royal women could secretly even envy.

As someone who always roots for the under dog I couldn't be more thrilled.;)

Last edited:
So glad that Beatrice and Edoarda got a beautiful summers day for their Wedding Day ,the flowers at the church were stunning.

Back
Top Bottom