Princess Beatrice, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Family, Current Events 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Completely agreed with all of this. While I don't see Beatrice or Beatrice and Edo becoming full time working royals both because of their own preferences and because of the preferences of the King and the PoW, I can see them stepping in and assisting and, frankly, I'd love to see it. I really think they (along with Mike and Zara) would be lovely assets to the RF and quite useful in this period where they're stretched a bit thin. And I certainly wouldn't mind seeing her at things like state dinners and on the balcony.

I can never see it happening because of the big kerfuffle it would cause. Charles has made such a big thing about working royals that if Beatrice became one I'm sure there would be questions about funding etc around her and the media would jump upon it in a negative way. I'm not even sure if she, or the Gloucesters for that matter, are needed anyway. What does 'needed' actually mean? Lots of events the royals go to would tick along just find with no royal person ever being there, including loads of the things that even Princess Anne does. Out with the monarch's job as head of state no one else in the family really has to do anything.

Last edited:
I guess my point is that it might be nice to see if Beatrice is willing to join up as a Working Royal, perhaps in a semi - junior status. Not simply a short term fill in. Here and there, not to much on her and ease her in. As she also has a toddler, Sienna.
If Charles and William are even so inclined. Maybe they aren't. But Beatrice isnt a "show offy" type and I think could take some of the pressure off the decidedly elderly Kent's and Gloucesters. To be utilized.

Realistically and unfortunately, the medical complications and "downtime" needed of both King Charles and Catherine really put the spotlight on health issues. And we don't know how either will exactly play out. Or if someone else develops health problems too.

Personally, I'd love to see another working Princess in The Firm. On The Balcony and at State Dinner Events in a Tiara. Beatrice looked lovely at The Jordanian Royal Wedding of Crown Prince Hussein last June. In her Mother Sarah's Wedding Tiara, which was a surprise, to me anyway. I figured She had sold it, after neither Daughter wore it for their own Weddings.
Beatrice and Edo went to Jordan as personal friends of the heir to the Jordanian throne though. The Kent’s have pretty much retired as their outings are few these days. Plus the appetite for more working royals these days has long gone.

I wondered about that too. Very probable they use both residences, one in London, one in the country. I hope they are paying rent for the apartment in St. James Palace.
The pay rent for the St. James palace apartment

I can never see it happening because of the big kerfuffle it would cause. Charles has made such a big thing about working royals that if Beatrice became one I'm sure there would be questions about funding etc around her that the media would jump upon it in a negative way. I'm not even sure if she, or the Gloucesters for that matter, are needed anyway. What does 'needed' actually mean? Lots of events the royals go do would tick along just find with no royal person ever being there, including loads of the things that even Princess Anne does. Out with the monarch's job as Head of state no one else in the family really has to do anything.

I completely agree. The size of the workload has been created to match the number of working royals. It can be shrunk considerably as those numbers wane.

Princess Anne doesn't think it's a good idea to have fewer people but she's thinking about all the unofficial events they attend. From what she's said, I don't think she's prepared to accept that most of it isn't essential.

I completely agree. The size of the workload has been created to match the number of working royals. It can be shrunk considerably as those numbers wane.

Princess Anne doesn't think it's a good idea to have fewer people but she's thinking about all the unofficial events they attend. From what she's said, I don't think she's prepared to accept that most of it isn't essential.

I think that likely depends on your definition of "essential" and what may qualify based on that definition.

SirGyamfi1, yes, Beatrice did attend The Jordanian Royal Wedding as a friend, not as a representative.

But I guess I'm old school and love seeing Royals out and about supporting Patronages or good causes. Didn't QEll famously say, "I have to be seen to be believed "?
Everything changed The Firms Plans for Working Royals when two KEY members left. Suddenly. Upending decades of planning.

Then Covid and Lockdowns. Next two Superstars legends dead a year apart. Philip and QE ll.

Andrew, next...forced out. Two core significant Royals and popular personalities, who resonated with young people and were expected to have a long shelf life, Harry and Meghan, left a giant hole in my opinion.

So I'm not convinced that with Charles and Catherine's unexpected health turns that some "rethinking" of how to proceed forward, might be being contemplated by The Family and The Courtiers that advise them.

William isn't going to be getting his three kids into this, not for a long time. And William and Catherine aren't work horses like Charles and Anne.
That is not a dig, but, it isn't them or their style.

Lilyflo great point about Princess Anne, I would think her experiences, advice and perspective on perhaps calling in Princess Beatrice would be valued and listened to. Whatever it might be. Yay or nay. Next to Camilla, I believe Anne carries MUCH sway with Charles.

I would think Beatrice could be utilized to work with younger causes, that resonate with "young" People. They are a key demographic, in my opinion, anyway.

Last edited:
I think that likely depends on your definition of "essential" and what may qualify based on that definition.

It's not my definition, the essential tasks are the constitutional and ceremonial roles of the monarch eg
Appointing Prime Ministers & Ministers;
The Red Boxes;
State Opening of Parliament;
Privy Council meetings;
Meeting ambassadors;
Trooping the Colour;
Remembrance Service;
State events...

I don't think we're going to see Beatrice appointing the next Prime Minister :) . However, I'm sure she'd do an excellent job of things like visiting hospitals ... but, at the moment, there don't seem to be any plans for that, and I'm not sure that she'd want to take on royal duties anyway.

I have nothing against Beatrice herself - she's always seemed very sweet to me but in 2024, do we really need outlying royals to visit hospitals? Staff are crying out for more staff, more equipment, more beds etc and patients want shorter waiting lists, more staff at A&E and more social care for the elderly. What good can a rich, privileged princess do just by wafting in, smiling, shaking hands and wafting out again. I think the 'Lady Bountiful' ship has sailed (and sunk).

It's not my definition, the essential tasks are the constitutional and ceremonial roles of the monarch eg
Appointing Prime Ministers & Ministers;
The Red Boxes;
State Opening of Parliament;
Privy Council meetings;
Meeting ambassadors;
Trooping the Colour;
Remembrance Service;
State events...

I completely agree that these are the "completely and totally no questions asked essentials" but I would argue that being the public face of an organization, bringing publicity and awareness to those organizations, etc. are, in fact, essential. I think there are probably a lot of organizations that have found their association with a royal to be absolutely a godsend for their cause and that "Lady Bountiful" impression actually goes quite a long way in exposing the inequities that many groups and organizations have to grapple with. So yes, I think it very much does depend on the definition of "essential" that you choose to use.

I think it would be ideal at this time for Princess Beatrice to step up and help out just in the next couple of months. Doing all those bread-and-butter royal jobs that some people on this forum do not thing are essential, but I disagree (and so does the Princess Royal, otherwise she wouldn't be doing so many of them). I think meeting us 'ordinary people' and opening things and visiting places are excellent things for the royal family to do. Look at the happiness on the peoples' faces in photographs; they don't think it's a waste of time. I myself even here in NZ have gone out of my way to see the royals here and I remember seeing the Queen, Prince PHilip, Prince Charles, Princess Anne and even a fleeting glimpse of Princess Diana (on the other side of the street, naturally).

SUrely it would only be a good thing if Beatrice just helped out for a wee while. It could be made clear she is just helping out and so all those people who think a slimmed-down monarchy will save the country's finances (it won't) is the best idea, surely even they should understand that someone helping out while family members are ill is understandable. And I think Beatrice would be excellent at it. Not sure what she'd think though.

I completely agree that these are the "completely and totally no questions asked essentials" but I would argue that being the public face of an organization, bringing publicity and awareness to those organizations, etc. are, in fact, essential. I think there are probably a lot of organizations that have found their association with a royal to be absolutely a godsend for their cause and that "Lady Bountiful" impression actually goes quite a long way in exposing the inequities that many groups and organizations have to grapple with. So yes, I think it very much does depend on the definition of "essential" that you choose to use.

I'm a royalist and I want the monarchy to survive, which is why I am so keen on modernisation and slimming down the working family.

In 2013, 72% of 18-24 year olds wanted to keep the institution but in 2023, that had dropped to 36%. If the institution is to survive, it needs to show that it's good value to these younger people and currently only 37% believe that it is.

In my opinion, it's not in the BRF's best interest to have Princess Beatrice representing the King on any visits. She has an overall approval rating of 30%, her father is embroiled in scandal and her mother has been embarrassing the royal family for decades (not Beatrice's fault of course).

The BRF needs to find other ways to manage the workload and if that means dropping patronages then so be it. These days, charities can gain great publicity by having a high profile celebrity as its patron. They don't need to be royal.

I have nothing against Beatrice herself - she's always seemed very sweet to me but in 2024, do we really need outlying royals to visit hospitals? Staff are crying out for more staff, more equipment, more beds etc and patients want shorter waiting lists, more staff at A&E and more social care for the elderly. What good can a rich, privileged princess do just by wafting in, smiling, shaking hands and wafting out again. I think the 'Lady Bountiful' ship has sailed (and sunk).

Have you ever watched video of Royal visits to hospitals and such? Even ones undertaken in the past couple years. Many people, including hospital staff seem to really enjoy these visits and they seem to boost morale and make people feel good.

Unless all the videos of these visits are deep fakes and all are hired actors, I don't agree with your post at all.

You've summed it up. The workload was large because all of the Queen's family including her mother, sister, aunts, uncles and cousins were living and travelling in luxury for decades, a great deal of it at the taxpayers expense. They carried out 'duties' to justify their existence but at who's behest? The general public were never asked if they wanted all of these royals opening buildings etc it was just something that happened. It's becoming apparent, now there are so few of them, that the country can do fine without them. I'd keep a monarch as head of state but there is no need for their relations to be doing anything in public life.

Have you ever watched video of Royal visits to hospitals and such? Even ones undertaken in the past couple years. Many people, including hospital staff seem to really enjoy these visits and they seem to boost morale and make people feel good.

Unless all the videos of these visits are deep fakes and all are hired actors, I don't agree with your post at all.

Well of course people are boosted by a visit from someone famous, especially if it's one of the very popular royals or a celebrity. My point is that Princess Beatrice is relatively obscure and doesn't have high popularity so what's the point of her visiting a hospital when what the NHS desperately needs is more staff, money and equipment? She's just a rich Princess, utterly charming but without any influence. I just don't think she's the right person to represent the King on visits and it would be better to cut the visits than send her out as a proxy.

And I disagree. Simple as. I think the less you see of royals visiting, the less relevant they'll become.

Last edited:
I wondered about that too. Very probable they use both residences, one in London, one in the country. I hope they are paying rent for the apartment in St. James Palace.

And I disagree. Simple as. I think the less you see of royals visiting, the less relevant they'll become.
I believe that judging by the previous kerfuffles about royal accomodation that question is actually quite insulting. There has never been a hint of Beatrice "using" the greater BRF. As to Edo, I believe that his love and support has given Beatrice a greater confidence in herself, so much so that she actually seems blooming these days.

While Bea and Edo may not be called upon to shore up the BRF, it is a fool that believes that the BRF not only works but is seen to work for their keep. That is why they all keep busy and not only do their own thing and dust off the bling as required. Tihkon explained the necessity to be seen quite accurately.

Simple example: King Charles has publicly announced that he has Cancer but has declined to give any further information. The reason for this may be twofold, firstly, he wants to keep the fine details and secondly, to disclose a specific type of cancer is counterproductive in that his original diagnosis of 'enlarged prostate' which increased by a factor of 11 on the NHS website. A general Cancer diagnosis encourages people with all types of cancer.

MARG said:
I believe that judging by the previous kerfuffles about royal accomodation that question is actually quite insulting. There has never been a hint of Beatrice "using" the greater BRF. As to Edo, I believe that his love and support has given Beatrice a greater confidence in herself, so much so that she actually seems blooming these days.

I am suprised about your harshness. My question was not meant as an insult. I remembered that there were problems in the past about non working royals paying rent or not. I didn' remember the details. That's why I asked and got answers.
I have nothing against Bea and Edo. In fact I agree with you about Bea's positive development since her marriage and am wishing them all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've summed it up. The workload was large because all of the Queen's family including her mother, sister, aunts, uncles and cousins were living and travelling in luxury for decades, a great deal of it at the taxpayers expense. They carried out 'duties' to justify their existence but at who's behest? The general public were never asked if they wanted all of these royals opening buildings etc it was just something that happened. It's becoming apparent, now there are so few of them, that the country can do fine without them. I'd keep a monarch as head of state but there is no need for their relations to be doing anything in public life.

You may think that and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the overall population thought likewise. However, the people involved in the charities or organizations that get visits or patronages from those "obscure" royals actually greatly appreciate them and the royals make a real difference for them.

It may be the case that the Royal Family will have to cut their workload eventually. I see it coming inevitably at William's reign , if not earlier. Although a slimmer RF with a lighter load may meet the expectations of modern society, there will be losers in that transition, precisely those who, as I mentioned above, actually appreciate or benefit from royal visits and patronages.

I agree completely.
If such visits are curtailed, or even eliminated, people may ask why the RF is needed at all.

I am suprised about your harshness. My question was not meant as an insult. I remembered that there were problems in the past about non working royals paying rent or not. I didn' remember the details. That's why I asked and got answers.
I have nothing against Bea and Edo. In fact I agree with you about Bea's positive development since her marriage and am wishing them all the best.
The only issue was with Prince Michael of Kent and the House of Commons public accounts committee committee who thought of throwing him out his KP apartment because they wanted to put the apartments on more commercial footing, but the Queen was paying his rent. No one lives in royal property for free anymore

I agree completely.
If such visits are curtailed, or even eliminated, people may ask why the RF is needed at all.

Agreed completely. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. But they're also entitled to disagree completely with the opinions of others and I have to say that I completely disagree with the idea that the work of the BRF is non-essential or makes no difference. It certainly appears to make a great deal of difference to a great many people who are impacted by it whether they be the recipients of help from a charity championed by a royal or whether they be someone who was simply greeted personally and chatted with by a royal in a moment when they really needed a win or a boost, they do certainly seem to have a very positive impact on the lives they touch. Frankly, in this world that seems ever darker, that seems the very definition of the word "essential" in my book.

It's time to get the discussion back to the topic of the thread. Further off topic comments will be deleted.

So nice. Shows She could carry off Events like these. Appears poised and engaged.

Again, not saying as a full timer, but help out on as as needed basis. Princess Alexandra is out at age 88, Edward Duke or Kent, is 89 is still unbelievably considered working, and The Duke of Gloucester is 79.
Hopefully The Firm and Advisors are considering this......

So nice. Shows She could carry off Events like these. Appears poised and engaged.

Again, not saying as a full timer, but help out on as as needed basis. Princess Alexandra is out at age 88, Edward Duke or Kent, is 89 is still unbelievably considered working, and The Duke of Gloucester is 79.

I wholeheartedly agree.

:previous: I agree as well, and even before the health problems of the King and the Princess of Wales.

Princess Beatrice is a wonderful asset for the House of Windsor imho.

Absolutely and let's hope that there will be a few more such engagements for the kings niece.

Also, the precedent is there for just taking in one sibling. Prince Michael of Kent was never a "working member" of The Windsors either. Unlike his siblings the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra.
I guess we will see down the line.

As much as I'd love Bea to be a full time royal, she's just hosting an event for her patronage at her house. She does this out of her own volition.

Back
Top Bottom