Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
York will return to the Crown after the death of Prince Andrew, as things stand now, since he has no male heir unless The Queen or Charles issues a new remainder to female heirs. Kent and Gloucester are likely to pass out of the royal family to the descendants of the blood royal.

branchg said:
Harry will probably become Duke of Cambridge upon marriage. Albany is still tied up in the Titles Deprivation Act and the Saxe-Coburgs technically have the right to repetition the Crown for a restoration of their peerages.

William is the likely candidate to become Duke of Clarence if he marries before The Queen dies. It is traditionally held by the eldest son of the Prince of Wales prior to becoming Duke of Cornwall.

What is the Titles Deprivation Act?

The Titles Deprivation Act was passed by Parliament in 1917 after World War I ended in response to public pressure to punish the German relatives of George V who had taken arms against Great Britain.

After creating a special committee, the Privy Council determined that HRH Charles Eduard, Duke of Albany, HRH Ernst-Augustus, Duke of Cumberland & Teviotdale, HRH Ernst-Augustus, Duke of Brunswick, Prince of Great Britain & Ireland, and Henry, Viscount Taaffe of Corren, all had supported Germany against Great Britain. George V issued letters patent to strip them of all British peerages, dignities and honours, which was authorized by the Act.

As a result, the descendants of these peers no longer hold their British honours or peerages, but retain the right to petition the Crown for a restoration of them. None of the families have done so to-date.

Last edited:
Does that basically mean that those titles cannot be put to use unless all those descendants die off, and that those descandants would not petition the crown unless the sovereign would think about putting those titles back to use?

It's complicated because Parliament provided a mechanism for their descendants to repetition the Crown for restoration of their peerages. Since Parliament is ultimately sovereign in law, the Crown could not recreate them for someone else without taking advice from constitutional law experts and the Prime Minister.

Technically, they remain unavailable since it is possible they could be restored to the current descendants under the Act.

let HM Majesty's decide for Prince Harry's new title or governament will have discussion of title.

mostly royals who hold as Prince and Princess they known as and also Earl and Countess and Duke and Duchess,and lots of more what really need it and have rights by their rules of Royals.

Its going to be interesting seeing how this will all play out.

Do you think that either Beatrice or Eugenie would get titles when they get married? or it's just for males?

Thanks in advance:rolleyes: :eek: :D

I think the Queen (if still living) would probably offer their hsubands titles, like she did for Prss. Alexandra, Anne, and Margaret.

Georgina said:
I think the Queen (if still living) would probably offer their hsubands titles, like she did for Prss. Alexandra, Anne, and Margaret.

Thanks a lot:) Georgina

Georgina said:

I disagree. I think that in the interests of keeping with what seems a tendency around Europe towards making the royal families smaller, Beatrice and Eugenie will, of course, keep their titles, but that neither their husbands nor their children will have titles, much like Zara and Peter Phillips don't have titles.

It is up to the Princess's of Yorks husbands wether their children will have some sort of title. If they refuse an earldom then they will not be titled.

crisiñaki said:
Do you think that either Beatrice or Eugenie would get titles when they get married? or it's just for males?

Thanks in advance:rolleyes: :eek: :D

It's highly unlikely, but not impossible. The Sovereign can grant any peerages or titles to females in their own right as the fount of honour. The last time this happened was in 1905.

Edward VII created his daughter Louise, Duchess of Fife, The Princess Royal. At the same time, he elevated his two grandaughters, Lady Alexandra and Lady Maud Duff, to Princesses of Great Britain and Ireland with the rank of Highness, with precedence following the princesses of the blood with the rank of Royal Highness. In 1917, George V issued letters patent eliminating the use of Highness, but they remained Princesses of Great Britain and Ireland until their deaths.

GreenLily said:
Weren't Edward and Sophie supposed to get the Dukedom of Cambridge - and then Edward requested the Earldom of Wessex (supposedly because he saw the film Elizabeth and wanted to resurrect the title.) So couldn't Harry technically get the Dukedom of Cambridge? Although, I agree, it will probably be Clarence.

Edward will inherit the title Duke of Edinburgh when his father, the present duke, dies. Wessex will then become one of his secondary titles.

What happens to Earl of Merioneth And Baron Greenwich??????? :)

Those would probably be put into the pool for future use. It would all depend when Prince Harry gets married and when Prince Philip dies. They could be combined with a dukedom for Prince Harry or saved possible for Prince Williams second son (if he has one).

I can think of several titles for him - but not printable!

The prince of wales is rumored to favour a scaled down monachy in the future. I think maybe prince harry will get an earldom or a dukedom (at a push) like edward has been given and will get in the future, and his children will be lord/lady etc.. in order to keep people intrested and in favour of monarchy King charles will need to steamline and re-organise the monarchy. it needs to be stated who are members of the royal house ( all HRH's who perform duties) and all members of the royal family( all HRH's and non- HRH's and for the monent we have only the michael's of kent as HRH's) there needs to be a more defined role as we wouldn't get all this media intrusion and accusations of princess michael being lazy as she is not a working member of the royal house but a member of the royal family. in the future i see only a king and queen with the heir( and spouse) and a sibling perfoming duties then hopefully we may see a more positive view in the media regarding the monarchy as a whole, with occasional appearences by the extended members of the royal family at family and major celebrations.

Royal Fan said:
What happens to Earl of Merioneth And Baron Greenwich??????? :)

When Prince Philip passes away, Charles will automatically inherit his father's titles as eldest son. So, in addition to all of his current titles, Charles will also become the 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merinoth and Baron Greenwich, as his father's successor.

When The Queen dies and Charles becomes King, all of his titles would merge into the Crown as King since the Sovereign cannot be a peer. At that point, he is expected to create Edward the new Duke of Edinburgh.

Since this would be a new creation (after merging again with the Crown), Charles can chose whether to include his father's Scottish earldom of Merinoth and barony of Greenwich or select new ones with Edward's grant of the dukedom. Otherwise, Edward would just be The Duke of Edinburgh along with his current titles.

Oppie said:
Those would probably be put into the pool for future use. It would all depend when Prince Harry gets married and when Prince Philip dies. They could be combined with a dukedom for Prince Harry or saved possible for Prince Williams second son (if he has one).

No. The current dukedom and its subsidiary earldom and barony remain together for Charles until he becomes King. At that point, he can decide which of the subsidiary titles, if any, he will issue in the new creation of the dukedom for Prince Edward.

The issue of when and if Princes William and Harry get married has nothing to do with the future of the dukedom or its subsidiary titles, except in the case of Prince Charles and Prince Philip dying before Charles became King. In that scenario, William would succeed to his grandfather's dukedom until he succeeded The Queen as the Sovereign.

MOLEY said:
The prince of wales is rumored to favour a scaled down monachy in the future. I think maybe prince harry will get an earldom or a dukedom (at a push) like edward has been given and will get in the future, and his children will be lord/lady etc.. .

It is possible letters patent will be issued in the future limiting the rank of Royal Highness and titular dignity of Prince/Princess of the UK to the children of the Sovereign and the children of the heir to the throne, but this remains to be seen.

Regardless of what may happen, anyone who is currently a Royal Highness and Prince/Princess of the UK (like Harry and Edward), would remain one for the rest of their life, but their descendants would be styled by their peerage or Lord/Lady Windsor.

branchg said:
When Prince Philip passes away, Charles will automatically inherit his father's titles as eldest son. So, in addition to all of his current titles, Charles will also become the 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merinoth and Baron Greenwich, as his father's successor.

When The Queen dies and Charles becomes King, all of his titles would merge into the Crown as King since the Sovereign cannot be a peer. At that point, he is expected to create Edward the new Duke of Edinburgh.
I can't argue with that, but I've read in several sources that the decision has already been made (by the present queen) for Edward to inherit the dukedom of Edinburgh. I doubt that Charles would go against his mother's expressed wish, even if his father outlives the queen and it becomes Charles' job to award the title after his father's death.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. The current dukedom and its subsidiary earldom and barony remain together for Charles until he becomes King. At that point, he can decide which of the subsidiary titles, if any, he will issue in the new creation of the dukedom for Prince Edward.

The issue of when and if Princes William and Harry get married has nothing to do with the future of the dukedom or its subsidiary titles, except in the case of Prince Charles and Prince Philip dying before Charles became King. In that scenario, William would succeed to his grandfather's dukedom until he succeeded The Queen as the Sovereign.

At the time of my post all of that had been established. The poster was inquiring what happens to the Baron and Earldom after that and I replied that it depends on the timeline of events.

It's an intention, not an order from The Queen. The only way Edward can become Duke of Edinburgh is for Charles (or William if he becomes King because his father had predeceased him) to create it again for him after the titles merge with the Crown.

branchg said:

Since this would be a new creation (after merging again with the Crown), Charles can chose whether to include his father's Scottish earldom of Merinoth and barony of Greenwich or select new ones with Edward's grant of the dukedom. Otherwise, Edward would just be The Duke of Edinburgh along with his current titles.

So what titles are currently in the pool for Royal use that aren't being used?

LaPlusBelle said:
So what titles are currently in the pool for Royal use that aren't being used?
We are starting to repeat ourselves here as this question has already been answered earlier in the thread.
For more detail also refer to the thread devoted to the subject: Questions About Titles.

I don't think that Harry will get the title of duke of Connaught because Connaught is in Ireland. And Ireland is no longer part of the Crown.

branchg said:
It's an intention, not an order from The Queen. The only way Edward can become Duke of Edinburgh is for Charles (or William if he becomes King because his father had predeceased him) to create it again for him after the titles merge with the Crown.

Actually Edward could inherit the title directly IF and it is a HUGE IF:

Charles, William, Harry AND Andrew all predecease Philip and/or the Queen.

The title would then pass as follows:

IF the Charles, William, Harry and Andrew all die, then the Queen dies, Beatrice becomes Queen BUT Philip is still alive - then he dies, Edward inherits all of his father's titles as he is the eldest living male line descendent.

IF the Queen dies, followed by Charles, William, Harry and Andrew (in any order by the way) and Philip still lives the scenario is the same as above.

IF Philip dies, then Charles, William, Harry and Andrew (again in any order - the title passing from each person as those ahead of them die) then Edward inherits the Edinburgh title in his own right and then the Queen dies, Beatrice becomes Queen and the Edinburgh title still remains in its current creation.

The agreement was announced on Edward's wedding day that after both the Queen and Philip die Charles will create Edward Duke of Edinburgh - they aren't anticipating the above dreadful scenarios. Charles could go back on this agreement but considering the fact that it was announced in 1999 and is common knowledge I don't think that Charles would go against the expressed wishes of his parents.

branchg said:
Harry will probably become Duke of Cambridge upon marriage. Albany is still tied up in the Titles Deprivation Act and the Saxe-Coburgs technically have the right to repetition the Crown for a restoration of their peerages.

William is the likely candidate to become Duke of Clarence if he marries before The Queen dies. It is traditionally held by the eldest son of the Prince of Wales prior to becoming Duke of Cornwall.

Can you name me any other eldest son of the eldest son of the monarch, besides Eddy, who was Duke of Clarence? The previous holder before Eddy was the third son of the king.

I am just being picky - but one instance does not a tradition make IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom