Tiaras And Hair

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does each princess travel with a hairdresser for these galas or do they have people recommended by the country they are vsiting?

I was just wondering as I am sure they don't do their hair themselves - well I certainly couldn't do my own :) Thanks

I think that each princess has a traveling retinue that goes with them; their lady-in-waiting, an assistant and probably a stylist to help with hair/makeup for gala dinners or events.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that, especially when I saw the Camilla ones. I've never seen her in the Hanoverian fringe tiara. And Camilla wearing the Cambridge lover's knot tiara probably gave Diana fans a heart attack.

Photo 88 is labeled "Masako" even though the woman is clearly Princess Kiko of Japan.

EmpressRouge, I love your quote at the bottom "Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless? " This is EXACTLY what I think! This is why I got a Bolero jacket to wear over my strapless wedding gown - no wedding gown comes with sleeves today, which is disappointing.

Which brings me to another point - princesses always wear their hair up for special events, ESPECIALLY for their weddings. Wearing your hair down in a formal ceremony is just a major faux pas for me. I love looking at photos of their elaborate hairstyles - they are all so beautiful! CP Letizia inspired me for my wedding hairstyle:
http://mandysroyalty.org/royal_rep/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/peinado4.jpg

A princess is not defined by what she wears or what her hair looks like, but how she carries herself. Elaborate hairstyles are nice to look at yes, but they don't make or break a person. I've seen some gorgeous strapless dresses, in fact CP Victoria wore one during the birthday festivities for Queen Margrethe -- the black and white horizontal stripe. Is she not a Princess?

This is a good question. I think that a tiara should sit a little forward on the top of the head. It should have a graceful arc that bends down the sides of the head, with hair covering it right at the end behind the ears. Hair should usually be up, but if not, then at least gathered half-way up (like Princess Marie of Denmark during QM's birthday).

Elizabeth II wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" tiara perfectly. Not that I'm biased or anything! :lol:

If anyone has a picture of the back of the Queen's head, wearing this particular tiara, you will see what I mean. Princess Leti wears her tiaras very gracefully, as well.

A princess is not defined by what she wears or what her hair looks like, but how she carries herself. Elaborate hairstyles are nice to look at yes, but they don't make or break a person. I've seen some gorgeous strapless dresses, in fact CP Victoria wore one during the birthday festivities for Queen Margrethe -- the black and white horizontal stripe. Is she not a Princess?

You are right - one's deportment is crucial. Many princesses do pull off a sleeveless gown quite well, but there's just something about sleeve styles that make a dress unique, and gives insight into the taste of the lady.

Well Queen Elizabeth, certainly doesn't have her hair up when she wears tiara.
Princess Mary of Denmark has worn the Ruby Parue Tiara when her hair has been down, many a time, and has looked just as stunning as when he hair is wound up.
Sister Morphine is correct it's how a princess carries herself wearing the Tiara, not how she wears it.
But yes I do agree, that with an up-do a Princess looks more beautiful. Especially when we get a picture of the back, and it's all beautifully intricate.

Imo a tiara looks way more elegant with a nice updo then with loose hair.
I prefer seeing pictures of Letizia with beautiful hairdos (like the one MandysRoyalty posted) instead of using her tiara with loose hair.
The same goes for Mary and everyone else. ;) Just my opinion.

I do agree that up-dos can be beautiful when done right, but here's some pictures of Mary wearing the Ruby Parure tiara with loose hair and she looks magnificent:

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/DWF15-714709.jpg

http://www.fashionrat.com/images/princess-mary-denmark-royal-family-mary-donaldson1.jpg

http://www.greatnorthroad.org/bboard/0406/gloriosa-princess.jpg

If you're going to wear your hair loose and smack a tiara on top, the hair must be styled right, otherwise it looks like you just rolled out of bed and put it on your head.

I also prefer the updo although sometimes tiaras can also look ok without the updo.

For example GD Marie Therese was wearing a marvelous tiara at QMII's birthday, but as she was wearing the tiara with loose hair it didn't look good, at least imo.

Sister Morphine...too funny, "and smack a tiara on top"!!! I love it. And I do agree about the hair!

It is Princess Nathalie who attended with her husband Alexander Johannsmann. They will marry religiously next year.

Thanks for the info! Her tiara and jewels were so beautiful. Are they hers or her mom's?;)

Thanks for the info! Her tiara and jewels were so beautiful. Are they hers or her mom's?;)
The tiara was an 18th birthday present from Princess Benedikte's parents. It was made from an old corsage and can be split into 3 brooches.
I don't know about her other jewels, but the turquoises are beautiful!

Thanks a lot for the information. I really like the tiara - I wish my parents would have something like this in their vaults....:)

www.jp.dk

here is alexandra with african inspired braids

Horrid! Apart from the dodgy hairstyle, the 'ends' of the tiara are slanted up into her hair rather than down followng the line of her head. The angle is all wrong. Lovely lady, lovely tiara, but they just never seemed to go together very well.

Great observation, Cath. When tiaras are tilted forward like that, the effect tends toward a pageant queen's tiara. No offense to the countess. She's lovely.

Victoria looks absolutely regal this year as well as happy and glowing. This is the best appearance of the Steel tiara on Victoria I've seen.

I totally agree Katrianna I have loved everything about her this year and here she does not disappoint she's just lovely.

when was the last times queen elisabeth did wear her hair up with tiaras?

when was the last times queen elisabeth did wear her hair up with tiaras?
Do you mean Queen Elizabeth II?
Never.

Here's an interesting back view of Queen Silvia wearing the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara in her open hair at this year’s Nobel:
You can get a glimpse at quite a lot of ‘construction’ going on around the velvet base and underneath the tiara to keep it in place:

Imageshack - 776vz.jpg

the qeII yes, this was a suprice for me. but i do not know much about the history of hairstyles ,-)

QEII has worn her hair short all her life. Not an up do in sight. Though I would think it's much easier to secure a tiara in an up do than loose hair.

i liked the way mette-marit wore her daisy tiara futher back at the state visit from south africa

Back
Top Bottom