Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do believe the York sisters will wear their wedding tiaras.
It’ll be a one off loan.
There are plenty of tiaras to choose from for the other royals.
I can’t imagine Catherine wearing the Delhi Durbar or any tiara associated with Camilla as Duchess of Cornwall so soon. Those tiaras are Camilla’s tiaras to the public and there are plenty of other options to choose from.
I personally believe Catherine will wear the Lovers knot tiara, though I’d be happy to see her in a new to her tiara.
As for Anne, she will wear one of her existing tiaras - probably the festoon.
Louise will no doubt wear one of her mothers tiara (I hope it’s not the wedding tiara).
I’d really like to see Sophie in a new tiara!! I don’t know which one, I’m confused but I’d really like a new one for her

I am not convinced Beatrice and Eugenie will be wearing tiaras to the Coronation. If they are, then I suspect other smaller tiaras from the collection can potentially be found from them including the Cartier Scroll tiara, perhaps the Strathmore Rose or the Sapphire and diamond bandeau.

If the Coronation is a tiara event at all, then it would be scandalous if any of the royal women do not wear one, considering the size of the BRF jewel vault, and especially if Beatrice and Eugenie retain their HRH (which I have no reason to believe they will not).

It was my understanding that the Strathmore Rose is in disrepair, which is why it hasn't been seen in some time. The Sapphire Bandeau is on par size and value-wise as the Greville Kokoshnik, so it's not really a smaller option. Also, with the Cartier Scroll having been put in the spotlight as Kate's wedding tiara, it won't be used by another royal woman, until perhaps Princess Charlotte.

If the Coronation is a tiara event at all, then it would be scandalous if any of the royal women do not wear one, considering the size of the BRF jewel vault, and especially if Beatrice and Eugenie retain their HRH (which I have no reason to believe they will not).

It was my understanding that the Strathmore Rose is in disrepair, which is why it hasn't been seen in some time. The Sapphire Bandeau is on par size and value-wise as the Greville Kokoshnik, so it's not really a smaller option. Also, with the Cartier Scroll having been put in the spotlight as Kate's wedding tiara, it won't be used by another royal woman, until perhaps Princess Charlotte.
What would be scandalous l about that?

What would be scandalous l about that?

Quite simply, public perception.

Every time a state dinner is held, the tiaras come out on full display, not only for the attending royals and nobles, but for every woman who was invited that possesses one.

To hold a momentous occasion, like a Coronation, and to have only some women in the royal family don a tiara, would leave people wondering why the others didn't. With the most likely question being: Why does King Charles hate his nieces so much that he wouldn't even loan them a tiara for his Coronation?

Not that I would put it like that, but many, many royal watchers would.

So unless BP puts out a statement that no tiaras are to be worn for the Coronation with the exception of working royals, then it would be terribly unseemly for the York girls to be denied the loan of one of the family's many, many tiaras.

There is some precedent for some ladies of the BRF to not wear tiaras while others do. When London last hosted CHOGM the whole family arrived to the evening gala and all the royal ladies donned tiaras except for the York princess's.

Now one could make the argument that perhaps it was due to them being unmarried at the time but the BRF doesn't really have a tradition for waiting till marriage i.e. the Princess Royal and Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden.

Quite simply, public perception.

Every time a state dinner is held, the tiaras come out on full display, not only for the attending royals and nobles, but for every woman who was invited that possesses one.

To hold a momentous occasion, like a Coronation, and to have only some women in the royal family don a tiara, would leave people wondering why the others didn't. With the most likely question being: Why does King Charles hate his nieces so much that he wouldn't even loan them a tiara for his Coronation?

Not that I would put it like that, but many, many royal watchers would.

So unless BP puts out a statement that no tiaras are to be worn for the Coronation with the exception of working royals, then it would be terribly unseemly for the York girls to be denied the loan of one of the family's many, many tiaras.
Why would BP have to put out a statement on that? Not everyone invited wears a tiara whether they are nobles or royal or not. It is down to the person to wear or not wear jewels as long they are appropriately dressed for the event.

There is some precedent for some ladies of the BRF to not wear tiaras while others do. When London last hosted CHOGM the whole family arrived to the evening gala and all the royal ladies donned tiaras except for the York princess's.

Now one could make the argument that perhaps it was due to them being unmarried at the time but the BRF doesn't really have a tradition for waiting till marriage i.e. the Princess Royal and Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden.

Princess Anne and Princess Margaret were the daughters of the reigning monarch before their weddings, and as such had a higher public profile. It was also during the years when tiara events were more common.

The CHOGM dinner, that I believe you are referring to, wasn't even a white tie event, which made tiaras very optional. Certainly not on the level of a Coronation.

Why would BP have to put out a statement on that? Not everyone invited wears a tiara whether they are nobles or royal or not. It is down to the person to wear or not wear jewels as long they are appropriately dressed for the event.

Wearing a tiara for the Coronation of a British monarch would be appropriately dressed for the event. That's my point. It would be unusual if a royal princess did not wear one.

Edit: And Yes, as far as British Coronations go, the women invited would wear a tiara if they had one. Lady Churchill, wife of Sir Winston, went to the lengths of borrowing the Essex tiara for the Coronation of QEII.

Last edited:
I would like to see Camilla in the oriental circlet, and Catherine in the Modern Sapphire tiara.
Something a bit different, but not so closely associated with the late Queen as to raise eyebrows.

I do think the Yorks should be given the loan of a tiara, since there are so many. (Though certainly Beatrice's husband, at least, is wealthy enough to purchase one for her).

I would like to see Camilla in the oriental circlet, and Catherine in the Modern Sapphire tiara.
Something a bit different, but not so closely associated with the late Queen as to raise eyebrows.

I do think the Yorks should be given the loan of a tiara, since there are so many. (Though certainly Beatrice's husband, at least, is wealthy enough to purchase one for her).

I have thought about these choices too. My dream would be to see that modern sapphire tiara paired with Diana’s sapphire and pearl choker.

I've never been a fan of the Modern Sapphire Tiara. I understand that QEII wore it quite a bit because of the fact that it was a wedding gift from her father, so the sentimentality of the piece would outweigh the aesthetics.

Some tiaras can be necklaces and look perfectly lovely as tiaras, and some just look like upside-down necklaces like the Modern Sapphire.

I am curious as to whether the Mapelli Mozzis have a family tiara lurking around in a vault somewhere. That could be interesting.

It just depends on the dresscode set by the hosts. The Dutch "State Opening of Parliament" and the Investiture of King Willem-Alexander saw ladies in long but with hats as both events were at Noon and grand jewels typically are worn in the evenings. The banquet at the evening before, however, saw a lot of glitter because it was in the evening indeed.

For the same reason we saw grand jewels at some royal weddings in Sweden exactly because these weddings were held in the second half of the afternoon, advancing into the evening. Were these guests requested to be in Church at 11.30 o'clock in the morning, no one would wear grand jewels. Just not appropriate at that time.

The State Opening of Parliament in London is realitively peculiar because it saw lots of peeresses in evening robes with diadems around Noon. But the number of bejewelled ladies at the State Opening is rapidly declining. These days only a handful (and now Queen Camilla has decided no longer to have Ladies-in-Waiting, there goes another batch of bejewelled ladies) .

It really depends on the dresscode set by the hosts, often determining if it is a day event or an evening event. I expect grand jewels to be worn at the Coronation of King Charles III. Or the economic hardship should hit Britain so hard that the King feels he should not go the Marie-Antoinette way (being blind for circumstances).

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of the Modern Sapphire Tiara. I understand that QEII wore it quite a bit because of the fact that it was a wedding gift from her father, so the sentimentality of the piece would outweigh the aesthetics.

The Belgian Sapphire Necklace tiara was not a gift from George VI to his daughter, it had been purchased by QE2 as a necklace and converted into a tiara. George VI did buy the sapphire and diamond demi-parure for Elizabeth though, comprising the necklace and earrings which she often wore with the Belgian necklace tiara.

The Belgian Sapphire Necklace tiara was not a gift from George VI to his daughter, it had been purchased by QE2 as a necklace and converted into a tiara. George VI did buy the sapphire and diamond demi-parure for Elizabeth though, comprising the necklace and earrings which she often wore with the Belgian necklace tiara.

My mistake. I have seen it called the George VI Sapphire Tiara on more than one occasion and just assumed that it was part of the wedding gift parure.

I'm still not a fan. It's clearly a necklace and would have been better used as one.

I am curious as to whether the Mapelli Mozzis have a family tiara lurking around in a vault somewhere. That could be interesting.

I think if they did have one, Beatrice would have worn it for her wedding.
That way she'd have something from her grandmother and something from her husband's family.

That way she'd have something from her grandmother and something from her husband's family.
I agree and don't think that there is a Mapelli-Mozzi tiara around. But I didn't yet give up hope that Sarah's wedding tiara is still somewhere. It might be only a small chance, but I would love to see Beatrice with the York tiara at the coronation.

My mistake. I have seen it called the George VI Sapphire Tiara on more than one occasion and just assumed that it was part of the wedding gift parure.

I'm still not a fan. It's clearly a necklace and would have been better used as one.

Still better then the brazilian aquamarine monster tiara

Queen Camilla will probably go to the Abbey bare-headed as I believe Queens Alexandra, Mary, and Elizabeth (QM) did. Elizabeth II wore the George IV diadem to the Abbey but removed it before the anointing. They left the Abbey wearing Crowns. As for the rest of the BRF ladies, remember that if they go the traditional route, they will need to place their coronets INSIDE the tiaras without taking them off. I would think that all-diamond tiaras would be the call so as not to clash with the red-and-gold coronets. Just my opinion, of course.

I'm not familiar with any royal bride that chose to wear a tiara from her husband's family over one from her own if they possessed one. If you have an example, I would be genuinely curious to see it. Maybe a lesser known family that had sold their jewels?

Still better then the brazilian aquamarine monster tiara

To this day I have no idea what HM was thinking when she agreed to have those gorgeous stones set like that. It looks like something you'd buy on Etsy.

I'm not familiar with any royal bride that chose to wear a tiara from her husband's family over one from her own if they possessed one. If you have an example, I would be genuinely curious to see it. Maybe a lesser known family that had sold their jewels?

Princess Birgitta of Sweden wore the Clover coronet of her husband's family for her religious wedding to Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2oOhTEnmDc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I am excited to see if Lady Louise will wear a tiara at the event. It would be a great surprise if we see Louise (or anyone else) wear the Strathmore Rose tiara.

Princess Birgitta of Sweden wore the Clover coronet of her husband's family for her religious wedding to Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2oOhTEnmDc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

She did for the religious ceremony in Germany, but she first wore the Cameo Tiara for the very elaborate civil wedding in Sweden. I would imagine that was the reason for using her husband's family tiara, since she'd already used one from her own family first.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: The Haga Princesses, Part 1

I am excited to see if Lady Louise will wear a tiara at the event. It would be a great surprise if we see Louise (or anyone else) wear the Strathmore Rose tiara.

I am glad to see that various people have been mentioning the Strathmore Rose Tiara. It has a nice connection to the Earl and Countess of Strathmore, the grandparents of Queen Elizabeth II.

Do the young lady royals get to wear tiaras? I've seen an adorable picture of a very young Princess Elizabeth (QEII) when her father became king. She was wearing a little crown even in all sides, not the tiara that fades into the hair in the back.

I've seen an adorable picture of a very young Princess Elizabeth (QEII) when her father became king. She was wearing a little crown even in all sides, not the tiara that fades into the hair in the back.

That was a simplified version of a coronet. She put it on when her mother was crowned.

Back
Top Bottom