Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Possibly the lack of Peeresses attending a Coronation will have consequences for the collection of jewels owned by aristocracy. After all: what is the use for a Countess Spencer or a Countess Caernarfon to keep historic jewels when these have no use anymore? A cassette on an auction can mean a new roof on the South Wing, so to say.

The public perception is that we're paying for the royal family and the coronation at a time when many of our citizens can't afford their rent, energy or food bills. I expect that's why some aspects of it are lower key than some of us might have wished for.

And yet, those citizens will not get one penny more if there are tiaras at the Coronation or not.

Same as when the Queen started paying tax. Did the standard of living go up for the average Brit?

Possibly the lack of Peeresses attending a Coronation will have consequences for the collection of jewels owned by aristocracy. After all: what is the use for a Countess Spencer or a Countess Caernarfon to keep historic jewels when these have no use anymore? A cassette on an auction can mean a new roof on the South Wing, so to say.

I thought the same. There are also so many British tiaras going to auction these days. Apparently, the Coronation is a good time to sell heirloom and stuff, now that is no more needed.

Apparently Charles is so environmentally sustainable that prefer thousands of guests to buy a new hat/fascinator and day dress than reuse a century-old robe and tiaras, that represent a secular loyalty to the Crown.

I thought the same. There are also so many British tiaras going to auction these days. Apparently, the Coronation is a good time to sell heirloom and stuff, now that is no more needed.

Apparently Charles is so environmentally sustainable that prefer thousands of guests to buy a new hat/fascinator and day dress than reuse a century-old robe and tiaras, that represent a secular loyalty to the Crown.

That last argument is a bit shaky, I must say, as all the silk, tulle, organza and velvet for the long dresses under the peeresses' robes and for the royal guests have a carbon footprint as well.

I do not expect the coronation to be a tiara event but here are my guesses just in case:

Catherine, Princess of Wales: Lovers Knot tiara
Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh: Wedding tiara
Hereditary Princess Sophie: Hasburg Fringe tiara
Queen Mathilde: Nine Provinces tiara (full version)
Crown Princess Mette Marit: Diamond Daisy tiara
Queen Maxima: Stuart tiara
Crown Princess Mary: Ruby Parure tiara
Queen Letizia: Fleur de Lys tiara
Crown Princess Victoria: Baden Fringe tiara
Princess Charlene: Ocean tiara
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa: Belgian Scroll tiara
Queen Rania: Diamond Floral tiara
Queen Jetsun Pema: Jade tiara
Crown Princess Kiko: Crown Princess Scroll tiara
Queen Anne-Marie: Khedive of Egypt tiara
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal: Queen Sophie's Diamond tiara

Last edited:
I think we'll all be shocked if it turns out to actually be a tiara event!

My guess is not (unfortunately) but I hope they wear their best jewels in place of tiara; I liked how Grand Duchess Maria Teresa wore her emerald tiara-necklace as a necklace. Sophie could wear her aquamarine tiara-necklace and perhaps the Princess of Wales that necklace that the Queen Consort wore in Germany, it looks like it was once a tiara. I'm expecting great stuff and I hope I'm not disappointed. What's the point in having great historical jewellery if it's not worn? I mean, it's excellent recycling if nothing else :whistling:

Did any of the British Royal ladies wear a brooch of Queen Ellizabeth II at the Coronation?

Last edited:

It is such a shame that Camilla didn't wear some bracelets, her arms looked so "empty" and with the short sleeves the lack of bracelets was even more evident! Did she forget to put them on?

UPDATE: the York sisters had jewelry loaned by Garrard. Why not asking for your mother’s demi parure?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr6Xnz5tRp2/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Given the ton of jewels in the royal vaults, it's a pity they weren't offered loans from there instead. Maybe they were and declined but it seems unlikely. I don't think it would be asking too much to borrow one's late grandmother's necklaces or earrings for grand occasions.

why would she forget to put them on. She did not wear any and she looked fine.

Out of all kind of jewels I'm actually glad that Camila didn't wear bracelet. And those are not really short sleeves.

If you mean day brooches, no as well. Apparently the new generation is jewelry-phobic.
I loved Eugenie’s diamond demi-parure.

UPDATE: the York sisters had jewelry loaned by Garrard. Why not asking for your mother’s demi parure?
They probably just chose to get loaned out jewels. Nothing wrong with it well known personalities and customers can afford loaned out goods.

They must have jewels the value of the GDP of a small country in the British vaults. Why not open it up and loan out a few things. Why let their own jewels gather dust in the vault and borrowing things from a jeweller? What an absolute waste.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...AB&biw=360&bih=647&dpr=3#imgrc=UQZlpZb6_sRdnM

I meant this bracelet, because it was worn by 2 former queen consorts, is a very old jewel, dating back to William IV and it would have looked good on her.
Not to mention the cockade brooch... When to wear it if not to your coronation...
Anyway, don't get me wrong I've loved the whole ceremony and it was beautiful and meaningful and moving. I only wanted a little bit more jewels, at least on the queen.

They must have jewels the value of the GDP of a small country in the British vaults. Why not open it up and loan out a few things. Why let their own jewels gather dust in the vault and borrowing things from a jeweller? What an absolute waste.

Maybe, but the only people complaining about not seeing tiaras are in our little niche. The ones complaining about how a massive display of bling would have seemed ancien regime and oblivious would have been very loud, very negative, and everywhere you looked.

Rather than take the chance of spoiling it with worldwide negative attention, they managed a meaningful, moving, beautiful, historic ceremony anyway.

If those jewels aren't going to be loaned to HMQ's granddaughters for their uncle's coronation, I guess they'll never be loaned to them for lesser occasions. Let's hope we see those dust-gathering jewels emerge on Catherine, Sophie and Camilla in future. If not, they should be on permanent display somewhere.

I think the same. A great pity because the collection is so vast that many items will probably go unseen for decades.

I agree about the display-part. It is clear that tiara events - both inside the UK as outside of it- will become even more sparse.

Maybe, but the only people complaining about not seeing tiaras are in our little niche. The ones complaining about how a massive display of bling would have seemed ancien regime and oblivious would have been very loud, very negative, and everywhere you looked.

Rather than take the chance of spoiling it with worldwide negative attention, they managed a meaningful, moving, beautiful, historic ceremony anyway.

I think they could have had a happy compromise without tiaras by sharing out some of QE2's bracelets, earrings, necklaces and brooches amongst her female relations, just for this occasion at least.

I agree about the loaning out. why not loaning out some pearl necklace or brooches for yesterday. But then it could also be that for example Beatrice and Eugenie are not really interested in wearing them as they usually wear almost no Jewels.

Seems a bit the trend nowadays.
Oh where is the british Máxima who brings out the goodies of those BP vaults and enjoys to wear and experiment with them

Perhaps they had decided that everyone should wear their own jewellery… That undeniably leads to some people having far fewer options to choose from and may have to borrow - but it would have looked weird if some people wore more jewellery of royal provenance than Camilla and Catherine…

Camilla is ofcourse the Chief Wearer of everything in the royal jewel vault now, and Catherine wore jewels inherited from Diana…

I get that many people is dissapointed that the coronation wasn’t the tiaras and big necklace-event we thought it would be just a few years ago - but to these extremly big events, same rules must be in place of all the royals…

The paradox is that loaning jewels from the royal collections cost nothing. The making of the head ornaments and all the millenery together must have been a fortune

I agree about the loaning out. why not loaning out some pearl necklace or brooches for yesterday. But then it could also be that for example Beatrice and Eugenie are not really interested in wearing them as they usually wear almost no Jewels.

Well, Eugenie wore a huge diamond demi-parure, so I guessed she was interested in wearing something big for the occasion. It’s sad because their grandma was The Queen and left a huge amount of private jewels. Loaning out even a simple brooch that Camilla and Catherine would never wear, would have been meaningful to them (and to all of us). But still, they need to loan them.

Well, Eugenie wore a huge diamond demi-parure, so I guessed she was interested in wearing something big for the occasion. It’s sad because their grandma was The Queen and left a huge amount of private jewels. Loaning out even a simple brooch that Camilla and Catherine would never wear, would have been meaningful to them (and to all of us). But still, they need to loan them.

The UK papers reported that the King inherited all of Queen Elizabeth II's private collection. In part it is an inheritance tax issue, but I also think it is their way to ensure that no more items leave the main line as it happened to many of Queen Mary's jewels that were inherited by her younger children.

The UK papers reported that the King inherited all of Queen Elizabeth II's private collection. In part it is an inheritance tax issue, but I also think it is their way to ensure that no more items leave the main line as it happened to many of Queen Mary's jewels that were inherited by her younger children.

I talked about loaning for the Coronation, not gifting forever.

I'm sad because had no tiaras, but I'm happy because there had a lot of necklaces and earrings

Borrowing jewels for the coronation seems very Oscar ceremony/Met Gala to me, especially since Carole Middleton and Lionel Richie can easily afford to buy their own bling.

But for royal princesses to borrow, that's just insulting when the BP vault is brimming with diamonds. They're not Charles' distant cousins on his non-royal grandmother's side of the family, they're the beloved granddaughters of the late Queen and belong to the history of the royal family.

Are we meant to believe that King Charles couldn't find the generosity of spirit to loan a pair of ruby earrings and a diamond necklace to his own nieces?

Did it occur to anyone that perhaps whatever is in the vault didn't really appeal to either Beatrice or Eugenie? The jewelry they wore was fairly modern in design and quite striking, but I cannot imagine that there's anything at all similar in the BRF jewelry vault.

Borrowing jewels for the coronation seems very Oscar ceremony/Met Gala to me, especially since Carole Middleton and Lionel Richie can easily afford to buy their own bling.

But for royal princesses to borrow, that's just insulting when the BP vault is brimming with diamonds. They're not Charles' distant cousins on his non-royal grandmother's side of the family, they're the beloved granddaughters of the late Queen and belong to the history of the royal family.

Are we meant to believe that King Charles couldn't find the generosity of spirit to loan a pair of ruby earrings and a diamond necklace to his own nieces?

Maybe they chose to borrow jewels from Garrard. Also wealthy people (aristocrats and royals) have been loaned jewels long before the Oscars and celebrities started doing so I don’t see the issue. Plus at one coronation many years ago, the royals were loaned jewels from jewellers to put in some Crown Jewels and they were later returned so I don’t see the issue there either. Them not borrowing jewels from BP doesn’t mean they aren’t princesses

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom