The Verdict of the Diana Inquest, April 2008, and Aftermath

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I truly feel sorry only for Mr.Paul's family. He will be known as a drunk driver, who contributed to Princess Diana's death. This may not be true.

Al Bina, it's a definate fact that he "contributed" to Diana's death. He drove that car after all! Was he responsible for the crash? Well, that's another question. But it's a fact that he had a history of drinking, even though he seemed to be able to handle it and it's a fact that he had two Ricards. I've written about the topic of alcohol for more than 20 years, so have heard numerous opinions and about lots and lots of personal experience. What could have been the case is that he had been sober for some time in order to pass his test for his pilot's license and then started to drink as he was used to, not realising that the ability of his brain to adapt to the results of having alcohol in his blood had changed. That's a often seen sign that people who have been drinking for a time, stopped and started again don't know anymore how to "hold their drink". In a case like this two Ricards could be too much. And he drank these, no doubt about it, as there is CCTV proof. And how do we know that it was just the normal amount of Ricard in the drink? One witness said he believed it was "pineapple juice". Now for Ricard to look anything like pineapple juice, you need much larger quantities of the spirit and much less water than in a normal 4&1 - One part Ricard to 4 parts water. So for me the fact that he was drunk and drove is proven by the fact that he had those two drinks.

^I wanted to make a point here before I started saying what I want to ask, I repeat myself in my posts alot so please forgive me for that. Anyways as I said in my post above why do I remember someone saying during the inquest the Ricards he drank would have been out of his system by the time the crash occured. I think didn't the Pagat report say that the pilot test he took days before did not test him for alcohol levels?

Last edited:
Fayed persists in his assertation that they were murdered and he believes the verdict proves it
And this gives me great satisfaction because it proved my point that my son and Diana were murdered.
Burrell faces police perjury inquiry as Fayed ends his Diana campaign 'to spare Harry and Wills' | the Daily Mail

Today, a Scotland Yard spokesman said: "There is a complaint that has been received. "In view of the complaint received, the Metropolitan Police Service has a duty to look at whether Paul Burrell should be considered for perjury
Great!!!!

Diana: Mohamed Al Fayed Abandons Quest To Prove Princess And Dodi Were Murdered |Sky News|UK News
But he maintained he still believed his son and the princess were murdered and said the inquest backed up his belief.
"I'm a father who has lost his son and I've done everything for 10 years. But now with the verdict I accept it, but with reservations

I am surprised he has decided not to pursue it, but then I saw him on the news tonight, a tired and defeated old man.This has consumed his life for the last 10 + years and he is 77 now

I wonder if his lawyers persuaded him to let it go. He has of course twisted the verdict into something he finds acceptable without actually admitting defeat, that the "unlawful killing" is because of the unnamed cars and drivers still in his mind ordered at the behest of the RF to make sure that Diana died

I am also surprised (and relieved) Fayad has decided to leave it alone. The verdict contained no surprises. Though he may read "murder" into "unlawful killing", the verdict was pretty much just what most of us expected -- basically a tragic accident caused by a drunk driver, lack of use of seat belts and exacerbated by the pursuing paps.

I do wish Burrell was facing perjury charges, just so we could get that pesky little person out of our country. :D But that, alas, remains only a dream. If you're going to have a dream might as well make it a big one.:flowers:

Cat

Al Bina, it's a definate fact that he "contributed" to Diana's death. He drove that car after all! Was he responsible for the crash? Well, that's another question. But it's a fact that he had a history of drinking, even though he seemed to be able to handle it and it's a fact that he had two Ricards. I've written about the topic of alcohol for more than 20 years, so have heard numerous opinions and about lots and lots of personal experience. What could have been the case is that he had been sober for some time in order to pass his test for his pilot's license and then started to drink as he was used to, not realising that the ability of his brain to adapt to the results of having alcohol in his blood had changed. That's a often seen sign that people who have been drinking for a time, stopped and started again don't know anymore how to "hold their drink". In a case like this two Ricards could be too much. And he drank these, no doubt about it, as there is CCTV proof. And how do we know that it was just the normal amount of Ricard in the drink? One witness said he believed it was "pineapple juice". Now for Ricard to look anything like pineapple juice, you need much larger quantities of the spirit and much less water than in a normal 4&1 - One part Ricard to 4 parts water. So for me the fact that he was drunk and drove is proven by the fact that he had those two drinks.
Thanks for the explanation. Mr. Paul might have contributed to the accident to a certain extent. However, it is impossible for me to determine the extent of his contribution to the accident with any degree of certainty because of poor evidence handling and mix up of blood samples. Any car accident requires too many uncontrollable factors to be reliable. So I doubt that deaths of Princess Diana and others were anything but an accident. At the same time, I do not exclude the possibility of assassination plot. As Stalin used to say, "No person, no problem".

I think that Fayed proably will try to come to terms with the verdict.
Losing some one you love is never easy especially if it is your child you carry alot of guilt and tons of what ifs and i feel sorry for the man.
I never losta child but i watch my grand mother grieve for my mother when she passed away at 35 for 23 years. The death of a child haunts the parent til their dying day. I dont blame him for trying to find out if it really was murder. But I do hope that he find some kind of peace. People need to remember that he is a parent that lost a child so he is going to do alot of things that dont make sense to the rest of us. I wonder if the Spencers were the ones who were pressing for the inquest if the remarks would be different.
May Diana and Dodi rest in peace.
Dani

Last edited:
I am surprised he has decided not to pursue it, but then I saw him on the news tonight, a tired and defeated old man.This has consumed his life for the last 10 + years and he is 77 now

I wonder if his lawyers persuaded him to let it go. He has of course twisted the verdict into something he finds acceptable without actually admitting defeat, that the "unlawful killing" is because of the unnamed cars and drivers still in his mind ordered at the behest of the RF to make sure that Diana died

I am also surprised. Regardless, I hope he can have some type of closure and "begin" his life again.

Thanks for the explanation. Mr. Paul might have contributed to the accident to a certain extent. However, it is impossible for me to determine the extent of his contribution to the accident with any degree of certainty because of poor evidence handling and mix up of blood samples. Any car accident requires too many uncontrollable factors to be reliable. So I doubt that deaths of Princess Diana and others were anything but an accident. At the same time, I do not exclude the possibility of assassination plot. As Stalin used to say, "No person, no problem".

TOTALLY agree with you AL_bina. I wonder why the coroner, Mr Baker, gave specific rulings for the jury to decide this inquest?

But, I am glad that Mohammed al Fayed as given up his quest and MAYBE have a life now. I know it hurt his family life, the two princes, and the Spencers family.

I know very little about UK Law, but I'm guessing that he gave the jury the options that were available because of the evidence that was presented.

TOTALLY agree with you AL_bina. I wonder why the coroner, Mr Baker, gave specific rulings for the jury to decide this inquest?

But, I am glad that Mohammed al Fayed as given up his quest and MAYBE have a life now. I know it hurt his family life, the two princes, and the Spencers family.
I also think it is good for Al Fayed to give up digging into this tragedy. He is a man going through a terrible pain. I never blamed him for believing in conspiracy theories. He was just a father that couldn't go over death of his son. Of course I always believed it was just tragic accident, that's it. It is better for everybody to have life again and peace.

IMHO it has to do with the fact that while the jury is there to decide, the coroner is the person appointed to act as the neutral expert in order to help and guide them. To make sure that the verdict is based on facts and not on opinion alone, the coroner checks the evidence and selects those possibilities of a verdict that are supported by evidence. Murder was, as anyone who followed the inquest and read the transcripts, not a possibility, because there really was absolutely no evidence brought forward.

I have no doubt on observing the way the coroner handled all kind of upcoming information that he was as interested in exploring all venues opening up as were Fayed's lawyers. Because if there had been a plot at all, not only Fayed would be interested but the princes and Diana's family and friends as well. But there wasn't anything - all claims when thoroughly invested by French and British police turned out to be nightmarish fantasies on Fayed's side. And the witnesses Fayed brought up either hadn't to say anything that was helpful or even lied.

So it was the coroner's duty to help the jury and select the possible verdicts that could be based on evidence presented in the court. They then had to review this evidence and decided which weighted most. They decided that the evidence about Henri Paul drinking was strong enough to accuse him of unlawful killing. They decided that the harassment by the paparazzi was significant in causing the accidents. But as there was no evidence of a murde plot, they couldn't decide that it was murder.

I hope it's clearer now. :flowers:

The pain of the parents - Henri Paul's mother and Al Fayed allowed the clear facts of this matter to be muddled and questioned. It reminded me of the OJ Simpson trial here 10 plus years ago. Facts are facts. Paul was drunk. Dodi insisted on showing off his power to Diana and with the help of his father, killed himself, Paul and the Princess. Diana was gulity of poor judgment in trusting the Al Fayed's.

It appears there will be an investigation into Burrell's alleged perjury after all. It seems a member of the public sent a complaint to the police. Hmmmm Now would that have been BeatrixFan or Skydragon??????:D:ohmy:

BBC NEWS | UK | Police to probe Burrell 'perjury'

Paul Burrell: Police launch perjury investigation into testimony at Diana inquest - Telegraph

Paul Burrell Flogs tat | Dodges perjury inquest questions | The Sun |HomePage|News|Royals

Unfortunately he won't be facing extradition according to one of the articles. It will be interesting to see if he does the right thing and returns to London to answer these charges.

Cat

I wonder what that news was, it just makes me think that she was about to announce her engagement or her pregnancy, and that she thought she was above all....thoughts for her own children went out of the window. It was enough to make the Powers That Be, (of which the Queen spoke to Burrell,) take action.

Interesting reasoning, only the French and British investigation found out that there were no "Powers to Be" involved, that's what the inquest heard as well. Diana was definately not pregnant but on the pill and had menses shortly before her death - that was made very plausible at the inquest. Most people questioned about the "engagement" Fayed claimed thought at the inquest that she would never have gotten engaged without talking to her sons before and that she didn't do. Maybe she wanted to become engaged, maybe not - but she was not about announcing either a pregnancy nor an engagement anytime soon. What she could have been announcing was that Fayed had promised to finance a couple of hsipices to be called "The Diana hospices". But noone knows for sure, as she told anybody a different story.

Posts about Diana not relevant to the Inquest and verdict have been moved here.

Interesting reasoning, only the French and British investigation found out that there were no "Powers to Be" involved, that's what the inquest heard as well. Diana was definately not pregnant but on the pill and had menses shortly before her death - that was made very plausible at the inquest. Most people questioned about the "engagement" Fayed claimed thought at the inquest that she would never have gotten engaged without talking to her sons before and that she didn't do. Maybe she wanted to become engaged, maybe not - but she was not about announcing either a pregnancy nor an engagement anytime soon. What she could have been announcing was that Fayed had promised to finance a couple of hsipices to be called "The Diana hospices". But noone knows for sure, as she told anybody a different story.

That's exactly what came to my mind, same goes for the big annoucement Dodi was going to tell his lawyer about.The fact the Fayed name would be behind it for Dodi I could see being exciting and important news at that time again if that's what he meant. There are alot of weird pieces of evidence that came out of the inquest that we can only guess what they could have meant. For example the telephone calls and letters Trevor got after the accident, one would think it would be the establishment but the evidence given right before made me think it could be Mr Fayed because I beleive Mr Murell had said Fayed had told them to tell Trevor to keep his mouth shut and that's exactly what this person was saying in these letters and phone calls. Same goes for the phone call Mr Klein received telling him Diana had been pregnant although for some reason I find that was someone just messing around. We'll never get proper answers for things like that we can only assume.

Unlawful Killing

I was wondering if the term "unlawful killing" is equivalent to the United States legal concept of "wrongful death?" Given that Al Fayed finally let it go, was it just a matter of semantics to him? Ironically enough, if it was "wrongful death," the accused would be Al Fayed, The Ritz and his security detail, The Spencer family and the Princes would have cause to sue Al Fayed for failing to protect the Princess.

Actually I do think the Spencer family could sue Fayed if they wanted to but I think they'd rather not since he finally let it go, they probably don't want to start anything.

The whole repossi ring thing is still bothering me for some reason lol I still don't get it really.

I also read The mercedes is being destroyed once they finalize that Mr Fayed will not press any other legal charges.

Paul Burrell will NOT be charged with perjury apparently and the investigation has been concluded. The reason given is that there is insufficient evidence! :bang:

Last edited:
Great photos of stunning Rachida Dati! :wub::wub::wub: I am pleased to know that the line has been drawn in this case.

Probably the LAST thing anyone wants is to give Paul Burrell a chance to perjure himself again...and again...and dish dirt--which might or might not be true. I think that they're letting sleeping dogs lie; or maybe there's been a quiet deal made with Mr. Burrell that we'll hear about later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked actually..but best nothing start I suppose, I wouldn't want to hear more lies then I already have from him.

I have to disagree with the opinion that it's better to do nothing so as to keep it quiet. I'm not afraid to hear other hideous things on Diana, that's what covered the newspapers for the past 10 years so I assume we are getting used to it anyway. I feel like we've been turning around Burrell forever and it would be the unique occasion to show to everyone that this man is a pure and simple liar and that he created a lot of problems with his conspiracy theories and secret letters coming from nowhere. He should be punished for the lies he told and for his dirty work with Diana's personal belongings.

^True so much has already been revealed about Diana, guess it wouldn't bother me but I meant I wouldn't want to start up anything as in more conspiracy theories and such.But then again if it could prove that many of the conpsiracy theorists were wrong then that would be a great opportunity.

Last edited:
Yes, it's what comes from it that will show us if it was worth it. We have the video to support the idea of lies and it's a great start. If they dig a little more, I'm sure they could find terrible evidences of his game. I believe that Burrell encouraged those conspiracy theories so that Diana's "spirit" would never die. When you look at some pictures, even some with his wife (picture 1, 2 ), it's obvious that these people were very close and I think he never accepted that time would eventually let Diana vanish from the spotlight. (and him at the same time :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Sorta random but after all this time I still found myself sitting tonight going but what if it's all a lie suppose we'll never know, then I thought of the effort, preparation, the aftermath etc could they pull it off? And then I thought about it and came to the conclusion that all we have is the evidence some people choose to beleive it others don't and beleive it's all been a huge cover up for me I guess they'll always be that little doubt in the back of my mind and I don't know why. I guess after so many years of beleiving one thing it's sorta hard to drastically change your mind. I mean from what I saw over the past 6 months or so I'd say accident but then you always have that little thing going but what if. Sorry I know it was kinda weird I sorta just switched the topic but it's been in my mind all night and I felt like expressing myself.

Back
Top Bottom