The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Catherine hasn't continued her education in child psychology ? Having passion about something is nice but with more knowledge and depth Catherine would sound more assured.

Maybe she would when it happens that a day is stretched to 48 hours. Right now, I don't think that Catherine needs to have a more in depth education in child psychology as, most likely, in her endeavors, she probably has a panel of those already very educated to draw on.

Catherine's talents lie in the ability to create a platform and through that, draw to it the necessary think tanks to make it happen and to also draw to the platform those donations that are needed to make it a success.

Knowledge is power but power also lies in where to find the knowledge and the elbow grease to make things happen.

She is helping launch a research center. I really like that and look forward to watching it all come together.

During the Royal Foundation forum she talked about building something for the next generation and for her children to take over. This is actually perfect if they wanted to follow that path: 3 kids, one future king, one future Earshot director, one future Center for Early childhood director.
Reading this report reminded me of that documentary about HM Queen Máxima work at the UN and her picking the layout, pictures etc of her own reports. Catherine truly hired a fantastic team and hold steadfast to her vision. Really really excited about this work. She created her own international function, while being firmly tied to the UK and the rest of the family (early childhood, late childhood DoE, late teenage years adulthood Prince Trust).

And also she didn't help launched, she has just created a research centre which can have so much potential. I don't think a royal has ever done this.

Last edited:
New on The Royal Foundation website:
THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE LAUNCHES THE ROYAL FOUNDATION CENTRE FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD
Today, The Duchess of Cambridge has launched The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood which will drive awareness of and action on the extraordinary impact of the early years, in order to transform society for generations to come.

The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood will focus on three key areas of activity in the years to come:

• promoting and commissioning high-quality research to increase knowledge and share best practice;
  • working with people from across the private, public and voluntary sectors to collaborate on new solutions; and
  • developing creative campaigns to raise awareness and inspire action, driving real, positive change on the early years.

(...)

The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood Report: Big Change Starts Small, June 2021
(written in collaboration with The Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University and the London School of Economics)
Foreword: The Duchess of Cambridge
My own journey on the importance of early childhood started with adults, not children...

When first undertaking royal duties a decade ago, I started meeting inspiring people who were rebuilding their lives from challenges such as addiction, homelessness, violence — and the mental ill health that often underpins these experiences. Spending time together and hearing more about their lives, I was struck by how often poor mental health but also early childhood was the focus of our conversation.

It was the recurrence of these conversations that drove me to want to learn more. And I am indebted to the academics, practitioners and, of course, parents who shared their knowledge so generously with me. Because by understanding the data, observing the practice and listening to lived experience, it became clear that if we want to build a happier and mentally healthier society then one of the best investments we can make is in the relationships, environments and experiences that make up our early childhoods.

What this report makes clear is that our first five years lay important foundations for our future selves. This period is when we first learn to manage our emotions and impulses, to care and to empathise, and thus ultimately to establish healthy relationships with ourselves and others.

It is a time when our experience of the world around us, and the way that this moulds our development, can have a lifelong impact on our future mental and physical wellbeing. Indeed, what shapes our childhood shapes the adults and the parents we become. But — and this is crucial to understand — even if we ourselves didn’t get the best start in life we can still break the cycle and develop the skills needed to raise the next generation better.

What this means is that we need to go beyond physical needs and give focus to social and emotional needs too. Nurtured children are the consequence of nurturing adults. So to invest in children means also investing in the people around them — the parents, carers, grandparents, early years workforce and more. And therefore, transforming early childhood comes back to each and every one of us. There are so many ways in which we can all support, whether as private, public and voluntary sectors, as individuals or as communities. Investing in a child is ultimately an investment in our future societal health and happiness, but to achieve this vision we need the whole of society to play its part.

In establishing The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood, our mission is to drive awareness of, and action on, the transformative impact of the early years. We aim to change the way people think about early childhood — and this report is our first step. We will help to make change through fresh research to identify opportunities, collaborations to scale solutions and creative campaigns to bring this issue to life.

We will do this by continuing to listen to others and being informed by the data.

I hope this report inspires you to join this journey.

It won’t be easy — transformation never is — but big change starts small.

(newly launched) Centre for Early Childhood website:
https://centreforearlychildhood.org/

The Times (paywall):
Duchess of Cambridge sets up early years research centre
Archive
(...)

The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood will start with about half a dozen staff and be funded by the duke and duchess’s Royal Foundation.

As well as promoting and commissioning research, it will work with academics, charities and other bodies to “collaborate on new solutions”. It will also develop “creative campaigns to raise awareness and inspire action, driving real, positive change on the early years”.

(...)

The launch report for the duchess’s early childhood centre says that nearly a third of five-year-olds are not reaching a good level of development, according to their teachers.

Disadvantaged children are 4.6 months behind their peers by the end of reception, it says.

Vainker, founding head teacher of the Reach Academy in Feltham, said: “Kids are super-resilient, but childhood and school in particular is harder for those kids. They find it harder to learn new things, they find it harder to build relationships. It affects their future life chances and future opportunities.”

It can be down to a variety of reasons. Vainker said that they included a lack of good face-to-face interaction, poor support to develop their speech and language skills, and stress at home: “Really young children, when their parents are experiencing really acute stress, that really rubs off on them and can be tough on them.”

Vainker said there should be more support for early years education, and better integration between services.

Video to launch the centre:

Last edited:
This is amazing and so important! In the US there is a push to understanding ACES (Adverse Childhood Experiences) and how trauma impacts the developing brain. And that the brain has amazing potential to rewire with specific positive experiences that children can be given to mitigate the trauma. It is cutting edge knowledge and I’m so impressed that Kate has started this foundation:flowers:

Research centres are so very important and the cause is a worthy one. I like how Catherine holds tight to this longtime interest. It's getting increasingly clear that these years are still underestimated in importance.

During the Royal Foundation forum she talked about building something for the next generation and for her children to take over. This is actually perfect if they wanted to follow that path: 3 kids, one future king, one future Earshot director, one future Center for Early childhood director.
Reading this report reminded me of that documentary about HM Queen Máxima work at the UN and her picking the layout, pictures etc of her own reports. Catherine truly hired a fantastic team and hold steadfast to her vision. Really really excited about this work. She created her own international function, while being firmly tied to the UK and the rest of the family (early childhood, late childhood DoE, late teenage years adulthood Prince Trust).

And also she didn't help launched, she has just created a research centre which can have so much potential. I don't think a royal has ever done this.

I agree it's a great initiative; it will be interesting to see how this research center works with universities that already have departments dedicated to research into early childhood development.

I guess it depends on how you define 'this' to be able to say whether other royals did something similar. For example, princess Laurentien created the Foundation 'Reading and Writing' focusing on analfabetism in 2004 which includes a research component but mostly works on advocacy.

More common in the royal world are of course foundations that carry a royal's name that might finance research but not have their own research team, such as the princess Beatrix muscle fund that is an important financier for research into muscular diseases.

Last edited:
I agree it's a great initiative; it will be interesting to see how this research center works with universities that already have departments dedicated to research into early childhood development.

I guess it depends on how you define 'this' to be able to say whether other royals did something similar. For example, princess Laurentien created the Foundation 'Reading and Writing' focusing on analfabetism in 2004 which includes a research component but mostly works on advocacy.

More common in the royal world are of course foundations that carry a royal's name that might finance research but not have their own research team, such as the princess Beatrix muscle fund that is an important financier for research into muscular diseases.

They're already working with Harvard and the LSE on "Big Change Starts Small" paper. It seems they're commissioning research and are going to be supporting and creating specific programmes to put the recommendations into action.

It's a lofty goal.

The website so far seems filled with a lot of great aims rather than nitty gritty specifics of how to achieve that but I think that will change.

It does have the full report which is an interesting read.

This really is quite impressive.

I also like how it’s her own project, but flows nicely with DofE and PofW’s.

I am so impressed!! Everything is finally coming together and people are able to see her efforts.

Duchess has done fantastic job on this project!! I am looking forward to continue to learn more about early years and what we can do to support our kids.

From the Royal Foundation website:
(last week was Catherine's, now it's William's turn)

https://royalfoundation.com/prince-...f-inaugural-earthshot-prize-awards-in-london/

The Earthshot Prize has announced today that its first-ever awards ceremony is to take place on Sunday 17 October at the iconic Alexandra Palace in London, with other famous landmarks across the UK’s capital city also part of the historic event.

(...)

The finalists will be announced in July and the official Prize winners will be selected by The Earthshot Prize Council, an international team of influential individuals with a variety of backgrounds, including Prince William, Sir David Attenborough, Dr.Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Shakira, Luisa Neubauer and Cate Blanchett. Prize winners will each receive a £1 million prize fund and tailored support to scale their solutions and realise an even greater impact of their ground-breaking work.

(...)

The ceremony will be broadcast in the UK on BBC One as well as globally with a major broadcast partner.
Fun fact:
Alexandra Palace is situated in North London and known around the world as the birthplace of television. It was never owned by the BBC, but in 1935 the Corporation leased the eastern part of the building from which the first public television transmissions were made.

https://www.bbc.com/historyofthebbc/buildings/alexandra-palace

Looking forward to this event

The Royal Foundation has released its annual report and shows that the Foundation saw a surge in support in the last year by nearly doubling the amount made in 2019.(Link to the actual report included.)

T
he annual Financial and Trustees Review Report has been released by The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today, showing that the foundation has seen an astronomical surge in support and donations. A staggering £11.68m was made by the Cambridge’s foundation, almost doubling the £6.68m raised in 2019. The documents, which were made available online earlier today, also show that £2.59m was included in the final total through a donation from American Friends of the Royal Foundation - showing that the Duke and Duchess can still pack a punch in the United States.
The report detailed much of the charity work the Cambridges have conducted throughout the financial year, including Mental Health, the Early Years, Conservation and the inclusion of championing our healthcare sector throughout the pandemic. What is also clear in the report is the ambitions initially planned for 2020 by the Duke and Duchess were not impeded by the pandemic, but in fact grew.

Will and Kate?s Royal Foundation Sees a Surge in Support - The Rumble Online - Opinions, Movies, Travel, Tech, Books and so much more!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-harrys-invictus-games-foundation-24800594

Prince Harry's charity received a half-million pound boost last year - from Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Accounts show the Invictus Games Foundation - set up by the Duke of Sussex in 2014 - had a total income of £1.77million in 2020.
Of this figure, £561,000 was received in the form of a grant from the Royal Foundation - the Cambridge's charity.
The money was stored in the Endeavour Fund, which was set up by Harry in 2012.
It was announced in 2020 that the fund would be transferred from the Royal Foundation to the Invictus Games Foundation.

I believe that the Invictus Games organization would be grateful.

CC | 10 November 2021

The Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this morning held an Early Years Meeting.

Last edited:
I know William's accent is supposed to be posh but I can barely make one word out of three when listening to posh... I got the drift but that was about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know William's accent is supposed to be posh but I can barely make one word out of three when listening to posh... I got the drift but that was about it.

Will's accent isn't particularly posh, though (nor Harry's). It's how posh public school boys of their generation speak, to sound less rich and privileged than they are. (I love Charles' voice and accent, but if Will spoke like that he would have never survived his peers.) Catherine's accent is frequently noted as posher than his, because she had to be self-conscious in the other class direction.

I'm currently having flashbacks to conversations with my mother who was an ICU nurse and nursing educator for decades. Her experiences with her patients and team mates definitely had an impact on her own well being at times especially with patients who were teens or young adults at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will's accent isn't particularly posh, though (nor Harry's). It's how posh public school boys of their generation speak, to sound less rich and privileged than they are. (I love Charles' voice and accent, but if Will spoke like that he would have never survived his peers.) Catherine's accent is frequently noted as posher than his, because she had to be self-conscious in the other class direction.

I wouldn't know. Basically, I divide accents into "Yeah, I get this" and "What the hell is he saying?" William falls somewhere in between. But I got the gist of the conversation, so yay me, I suppose.

It was a very meaningful conversation to have.

Basically then, Will developed a less posh accent and Catherine a more posh one. I hear a forced tone with her, it doesn't sound completely natural. I'm American but my mother and her family were English so I have no trouble understanding any of them. And I too love listening to Charles, he sounds so soothing!

The Duchess of Cambridge hosts a Christmas carol service at Westminster Abbey, supported by The Royal Foundation, today, December 8, "to recognise and celebrate the incredible work of individuals and organisations across the nation who have stepped up to support their communities through the pandemic":

** rex gallery ** Legion-Media gallery 1 ** Legion-Media gallery 2 **

** gettyimages: GBR: Members Of The Royal Family Attend "Together At Christmas" Community Carol Service **

** dm article: Kate's support squad! Duchess of Cambridge is joined by parents Carole and Michael Middleton, sister Pippa ..**

** dm article: Cousins at the carols! Princess Beatrice looks glowing as she arrives hand-in-hand with husband Edo for..**

** dm article: Royals gather for Kate's carols! Duchess of Cambridge stuns in red £3,000 Catherine Walker coat as..**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom