The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 2: Sep 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The appointment of the Princess of Wales is very interesting and quite unexpected. It's definitely an honor, but I'd like to know what the rationale behind it was, especially since she is the first family member to receive it.

The appointment of the Princess of Wales is very interesting and quite unexpected. It's definitely an honor, but I'd like to know what the rationale behind it was, especially since she is the first family member to receive it.
I wonder if it is a way of giving her an honour but at the same time not put any expectations on her, given her difficult situation with her cancer-treatment…

An appointment to the Order of the Garter would have put pressure on her to participate on the Garter Day with a wave of speculations building up until the day and an even bigger wave of critisism if she had to pull out for health reasons…

The media and a lot of other famous persons have been incredibly rude towards her lately and made her life a hell (as if the abdominal surgery and the cancer wasn’t enough) so i can very well imagine this is The King’s way of showing his appreciation for her, while at the same time also not put any pressure on her.

I wonder if it is a way of giving her an honour but at the same time not put any expectations on her, given her difficult situation with her cancer-treatment…

An appointment to the Order of the Garter would have put pressure on her to participate on the Garter Day with a wave of speculations building up until the day and an even bigger wave of critisism if she had to pull out for health reasons…

The media and a lot of other famous persons have been incredibly rude towards her lately and made her life a hell (as if the abdominal surgery and the cancer wasn’t enough) so i can very well imagine this is The King’s way of showing his appreciation for her, while at the same time also not put any pressure on her.
I think that makes sense, especially as it's too soon for her to be appointed to the Order of the Garter.

The King wishes to show his appreciation of his devoted daughter in law. The fact she is the first royal IMO enhances the honour.

I think its a lovely honour especially given it is awarded "...for having a major contribution to the arts, science, medicine, or government..." The Arts are something close to Catherine's heart, and something she shares with Charles, so it makes sense.

But the Companions of Honour are usually recommended by the Prime Minister / Commonwealth PMs. Personally I'd have found awarding Catherine the Order of Merit a little less surprising as that is within the Sovereign's personal gift, higher ranking, was awarded to Charles's own father, Prince Philip and a little more exclusive (24 ordinary members vs the Companion of Honours 65 limit - though Catherine probably wouldn't count towards the numbers). But whatever the choice, its a thoughtful thing to do. I wonder if Charles (and maybe the government) are hoping to use Catherine's fame to help promote the Companions of honour's prominence and it as an award as well as British & Commonwealth Arts, science and medicine etc more generally.

Above or below the RFO?
I think above. The Order of the Crown of India went above; this is slightly junior to that, but I think all of the official orders come first.

Edit: On further review, I see that Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester wore the Order of the Crown of India below her RFOs and Princess Margaret wore it above (see them both at the same dinner here). So who knows.

Last edited:
Good to see Brigitta Gloucester get the Garter. To me this would suggest that Sophie and Catherine would also get Garters in the coming years. Perhaps their appointment will be announced at the same time.

Good to see Brigitta Gloucester get the Garter. To me this would suggest that Sophie and Catherine would also get Garters in the coming years. Perhaps their appointment will be announced at the same time.
Catherine will recive it at some point as a future Queen Consort.

Sophie is not in line for it, but neither was the Duchess of Gloucester… I wouldn’t be surprised if Sophie will also be given the Garter (or maybe the Thistle) at some point down the line..

Sophie is not in line for it, but neither was the Duchess of Gloucester… I wouldn’t be surprised if Sophie will also be given the Garter (or maybe the Thistle) at some point down the line..
Exactly. The Duchess of Gloucester is clearly rewarded for her years of service. I believe she is the first spouse not married to the sovereign or the Prince of Wales to get the Garter.

Sophie may get it too in the future but not during Charles’s reign.

Till 2 days ago, my thinking was exactly in line with what you have suggested: Catherine to get the Garter when she is Queen Consort, Birgitte and Sophie to not receive it.

Birgitte's appointment signals a new approach in the new reign, where years of service are rewarded with the Garter. This would suggest Sophie would get it too. And since we can't have a situation where Sophie has it and Catherine, as the crown princess does not, Catherine would get it too.

I think above. The Order of the Crown of India went above; this is slightly junior to that, but I think all of the official orders come first.

Edit: On further review, I see that Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester wore the Order of the Crown of India below her RFOs and Princess Margaret wore it above (see them both at the same dinner here). So who knows.
Princess Alice wasn't very consistent with the placement of her CI, though. For example, in this 1952 portrait she's wearing it atop of her RFO's - LINK

Princess Alice wasn't very consistent with the placement of her CI, though. For example, in this 1952 portrait she's wearing it atop of her RFO's - LINK

Edward VII (and probably George V) would be having a fit! :unsure: (He would also have the right answer despite living before one of these orders existed.)

Till 2 days ago, my thinking was exactly in line with what you have suggested: Catherine to get the Garter when she is Queen Consort, Birgitte and Sophie to not receive it.

Birgitte's appointment signals a new approach in the new reign, where years of service are rewarded with the Garter. This would suggest Sophie would get it too. And since we can't have a situation where Sophie has it and Catherine, as the crown princess does not, Catherine would get it too.
I agree that Birgitte was given the Garter for exceptionally loyal and faultless service over 52 years…

Though i’m not yet convinced that means other similar appointments will follow… Birgitte’s mother in law Alice was made the first ever Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath for the same reason… She is still the only female royal to have recived it…

If Sophie (who has only been a working royal since 2002) recives it down the line, then i’m convinced we have a new pattern

Edward VII (and probably George V) would be having a fit! :unsure: (He would also have the right answer despite living before one of these orders existed.)

I think Princess Margaret got it right by wearing the Crown of India atop her royal family orders. After all, the OCI was/is part of the official honorific system and gave precedence to the wearer, while the RFO does not.
We also know that the RFO's are worn in descending order, with the current monarch's placed above those of previous monarchs. Something both Princesses did right.

I agree that Birgitte was given the Garter for exceptionally loyal and faultless service over 52 years…

Though i’m not yet convinced that means other similar appointments will follow… Birgitte’s mother in law Alice was made the first ever Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath for the same reason… She is still the only female royal to have recived it…

If Sophie (who has only been a working royal since 2002) recives it down the line, then i’m convinced we have a new pattern
And 50 years after she became Duchess of Gloucester. So, very clearly a way to mark a half century of tireless service and dedication to the Royal Family.

I used to think Sophie might be in line to receive the Garter but now, given that Edward has been given the Thistle in honor and recognition of the Edinburgh title, it might be that Sophie is given the Thistle instead. I do agree, though, it's not something we can likely expect in the near future though. Birgitte is 77 while Sophie is 59. I could see something maybe around her 40 year mark as a working royal which would be in 18 years when she is 77.

And 50 years after she became Duchess of Gloucester. So, very clearly a way to mark a half century of tireless service and dedication to the Royal Family.

I used to think Sophie might be in line to receive the Garter but now, given that Edward has been given the Thistle in honor and recognition of the Edinburgh title, it might be that Sophie is given the Thistle instead. I do agree, though, it's not something we can likely expect in the near future though. Birgitte is 77 while Sophie is 59. I could see something maybe around her 40 year mark as a working royal which would be in 18 years when she is 77.
I won’t be surprised if Charles will give Sophie something next year when she turns 60…
Round birthday’s in the royal family often means a new order or medal, or a new military appointment…

But maybe the Order of the Companions of Honour that Catherine was given now is more likely…

I think it’s hard to predict since Charles is King now. He does seem to be doing some things differently from his mother.

It does seem like Sophie might get the Thistle first though. Maybe Garter down the line.

The Ladies having the Garter are now Camilla, Queen Consort , Anne, Princess Royal, Alexandra born Princess of Kent and Brigitte , Duchess of Gloucester.
Princess Margaret never receive it.

Princess Margaret recived the Royal Victorian Chain instead… That’s a very rare distinction… The only living british recipients of it are the 2 most recently retired Archbishops of Canterbury Lord Carey and Lord Williams, and the former Lod Chamberlain of the Household Earl Peel…

Queen Elizabeth II once had a habit of givning fellow monarch’s the Royal Victorian Chain at their first state visit to each other, and then the Order of the Garter at the 2:nd… She stopped doing that but that means King Carl Gustaf, King Harald, Queen Margrethe, Princess Beatrix, King Juan Carlos, and Emperor Akihito all have the Royal Victorian Chain.

Back
Top Bottom