The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kate looked stunning. that gown is gorgeous. i love the full skirt - decadent.

I couldn't quite get the conversation, what they was saying - but I don't think Prince William made that joke this time. He already did that with Dame Helen Mirren in 2014, and I thought that was cute, but from what Dame.H.Mirren said on another TV interview, she did not like it.

In this particular case, the joke wouldn’t make any sense as William is not a descendant of Queen Anne. Dame Helen on the other hand was playing William’s actual grandmother !

Olivia is playing his Granny in The Crown.

I love the comment one of the guests made: ‘Who do I bow too ? William and Kate or Olivia and Claire Foy?’ :lol:
It was great to see the couple there. I love the interactions between Catherine and Olivia Colman - and of course we can always rely on Karen Anvil for good photos!

Court Circular 10th February:
The Duke of Cambridge, President, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, and The Duchess of Cambridge this evening attended the British Academy Film Awards at the Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Gore, London SW7, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir Kenneth Olisa).

These videos of the Cambridges chatting with folks after the ceremony really highlight for me just how skilled Kate has become at making each person she’s with feel like they’re the center of her world for a moment. It’s something I’ve noticed in videos of her interactions with people over the last year or so, but the way so many of these stars (who are far more used to meeting famous people than, say, the folks the royals meet during a visit to a school or charity) seem to be kind of thrilled by their conversations with her.

In her early years on the job I felt that Kate struggled at meet and greets. She tended to look a little scared with anyone over the age of 10. But I do think she’s put in some real work to master the skill of elevating small talk to something that makes the other person feel special, built her own confidence in the process, and now she has really blossomed into being one of the more personable royals in one-on-one interactions. Good job, Duchess!

I wonder if the BAFTA's is something that might be handed over to Meghan and Harry one day. I'm just thinking that Meghan would be a better fit since she has theater and acting quals etc.

Meghan wasn't on the scene when William got the BAFTA's so I just wonder if he's the best fit for it now.

Maybe when Charles succeeds there might be opportunity for a bit of re-shuffling, indeed I would think they would have to be given Charles will be stepping up and everyone else will have to share out or review what will happen to all the patronages across the board.

Have royals ever changed patronages 'mid stream' (excluding generational/retirement type handovers like the Queen giving the tennis to Catherine, I mean) amongst themselves?

Would it be seen as an insult to the patronage or would they just be grateful they have any royal support since it's in such demand?

I wonder if the BAFTA's is something that might be handed over to Meghan and Harry one day. I'm just thinking that Meghan would be a better fit since she has theater and acting quals etc.

I don't see what her theatre and acting qualification have to do with being a better fit to a role that is essentially to show up and hand out an award. William succeeded Sir Richard Attenborough as President of BAFTA after his Aunt Anne, Great Uncle Dickie and his grandfather Philip were Presidents. William has been President for 9 years so to take it away from the future King is futile I think.

I personally don't see it having a better impact for BAFTA if The Duchess of Sussex were to be President, than the future King.

Whilst there will be a division of patronages when HM and Philip pass on, most of which are being divided out now, this will no doubt have already been decided and will have little effect on the patronages royals already have.

Meghan wasn't on the scene when William got the BAFTA's so I just wonder if he's the best fit for it now.

Maybe when Charles succeeds there might be opportunity for a bit of re-shuffling, indeed I would think they would have to be given Charles will be stepping up and everyone else will have to share out or review what will happen to all the patronages across the board.

Have royals ever changed patronages 'mid stream' (excluding generational/retirement type handovers like the Queen giving the tennis to Catherine, I mean) amongst themselves?

Would it be seen as an insult to the patronage or would they just be grateful they have any royal support since it's in such demand?

I would be surprised to see if Meghan is handed over the BAFTA patronage. William has been involved since 2010, after taking over from Anne, who took over from the DoE. I would expect to see William retain this patronage in the long term.

Meghan has been handed over the NT patronage. There are also a number of other, lower profile theatre and acting related patronages that various members of the BRF have. If there are any of the older generation that come up, I am sure Meghan will be considered for them.

It's always been interesting to me to see who gets what. I often wonder if they have some personal interest and it's primarily based on that, obviously with mental health, that's something all the 'fab four' are pursuing. I would think they also consider the time commitment required, and if the events clash with anything they already do.

It makes me curious what interests and 'private' hobbies the royal have that we don't know about. Things they might be quiet expert on privately and so that makes them better options for X patronage.

I would be surprised to see if Meghan is handed over the BAFTA patronage. William has been involved since 2010, after taking over from Anne, who took over from the DoE. I would expect to see William retain this patronage in the long term.

William took over from Lord Attenborough, not his Aunt. :flowers: Unless you mean purely in the royal sense as Lord Attenborough wasn't an HRH.

William took over from Lord Attenborough, not his Aunt. :flowers: Unless you mean purely in the royal sense as Lord Attenborough wasn't an HRH.

YOu are right, I had not appreciated Lord Attenborough's involvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rudolph
Very nice pictures! I love William's smile. So many people turn out.
The lady was truly lucky and got amazing shots!

Court Circular 16th September:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, President, this morning officially opened the British Academy of Film and Television Arts' new public venue, 194 Piccadilly, London W1, and launched the "BAFTA: Behind the Screens" exhibition.

His Royal Highness, President, British Academy of Film and Television Awards, later received Ms. Amanda Berry (Chief Executive Officer).

Court Circular 8th January:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, President, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, this afternoon attended a Meeting at 1 St James’s Market, London SW1.

Last edited:
Great to see William and Catherine at the BAFTAs tonight - loving the photos so far! ?

Kate's dress is lovely. Some of the actresses' dress choices are ... er, "interesting"!

Their reaction to Brad Pitt's gag was priceless ;)

Sorry to be grumpy, but I thought that was very rude of Brad Pitt, especially as he wasn't even there to deliver the "jokes" in person. William and Kate handled it very well, but he was trying to provoke a reaction and there was no need for it. Why can't people just accept awards, say thank you very much, and have done, instead of making awkward jokes or political statements?!

What did he do/say?

Sorry to be grumpy, but I thought that was very rude of Brad Pitt, especially as he wasn't even there to deliver the "jokes" in person. William and Kate handled it very well, but he was trying to provoke a reaction and there was no need for it. Why can't people just accept awards, say thank you very much, and have done, instead of making awkward jokes or political statements?!

It was rude, pointless, and gutless, since he didn't even have the courage to deliver it himself, but it also doesn't reflect well on the person who chose to read the "joke."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom