The Duke and Duchess of Kent News and Events 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duke of Kent as Colonel attended the Scots Guards' biannual reunion last weekend:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On October 3 the Duke of Kent visited the Metropolitan Police Marine Policing Unit in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

God bless him.

And finally, at the age of 88, His Royal Highness is using a cane.

That's wonderful, thanks for pointing it out. I wouldn't necessarily say that she is 'fine' but it's great that she was able to attend an event with her husband and daughter (although I assume mostly while seated).

One more picture of the Duchess.
Now there is a wonderful woman who, when the pressure got to much, withdrew from public life for many years. That is not to say she twiddled her thumbs though, she starting working as a music teacher and carried out many, many under the radar charity jobs that spun off from that. This occasion being one. A gracious and very lovely lady.

That's wonderful, thanks for pointing it out. I wouldn't necessarily say that she is 'fine' but it's great that she was able to attend an event with her husband and daughter (although I assume mostly while seated).

One more picture of the Duchess.
Now there is a wonderful woman who, when the pressure got to much and her health started to fail, she withdrew from public life for many years. That is not to say she twiddled her thumbs though, she starting working as a music teacher and carried out many, many under the radar charity jobs that spun off from that. This occasion being one. A gracious and very lovely lady.

The Duke missed the Remembrance Sunday ceremony today. I don't think he can be in good health.

I would agree, it is not like The Duke not to attend Remembrance Sunday Service. He does not appear to have been well enough to even stand on the balcony. Having said that he could have been attending a service somewhere else, that has happened before but somehow I don’t think so.

It must have been a hard decision for the Duke to miss out on these occassions. I wish him well.

Hmmm - I suspect a message about his retirement soon. Maybe January. I was however confused that the Princess Royal will be taking over the Commonwealth Grave Commission. But it seems that number of things has changed over the last year.

Yes the Duke seems to be handing over many of his roles and patronages to others, I think now with clear health issues it is likely he appears much less if at all from now.

Anne has become President of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (after the DoK relinquished the role) and King Charles takes up a new role as Patron of the organisation

It looks like The Duke of Kent has started to hand over more and more of his key roles that demands ”out house engagements”…. With his age and obvious mobility issues it is not strange

I don’t think there will be any grand ”thank you and farewell retirement message” from the Kent branch of the BRF… They will more likely hand over more and more of their key roles (while other roles will simple no longer have a royal patron/advocate) and slowly but steadily dissapear from public view

I was a bit surprised to see the busy Princess Anne taking on the role of president of the commonwealth war graves comission… I though her husband Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence was a more likely candidate, having been the vice-chairman of CWGC until recently so he’s very familiar with it….
The Duke of Kent has been a very committed and active President and has put a lot of time in the CWGC over the past 50 years… I’m sure he will be missed

Last edited:
Tim isn't a royal and a royal should be the patron of such an organisation.

I can see a reception hosted by the King with many of the Kent's charities there as a thank you event.

Many of the Duke's charities have had events to acknowledge his long years of service but I can still the King wanting to have a 'thank you' reception with the working royals present to help host.

Sad to see the Kentish branch wither away. True bluebloods who have served the nation nobly for decades.

No one of their Children may take one of their patronages ?
Prince Michael sadly was never commited for anything and had never a royal role.

But the time has come to rest.

No one of their Children may take one of their patronages ?
Prince Michael sadly was never commited for anything and had never a royal role.

They can if the organisations would want them… Though then it would become a non-royal patronage as the Kent and Gloucester children are not royals.

Prince Michael was never asked by QEII to become a working royal and has thus always pursued his own interests and only represented the RF upon request to do so..

It must have been a hard decision for the Duke to miss out on these occassions. I wish him well.

Wishing the Duke well,he has been a constant at these events over the years.

I saw in live , the Royals did stand without moving +/- 30 minutes., I was impressed. The Duke of Kent did it until it was not possible anymore. Great Royal.

There may be some charities which are personal to the family - or link to the Dukedom of Kent - and which, therefore, the next Duke of Kent - aka the Earl of St Andrews, or his siblings wish to take over. But the large majority of the Duke's patronages are those linked to the monarchy and the crown so will pass back to the crown to find another royal to take them over.

With the 'smaller' royal family many of these charities and organisations won't be having a royal patron as there aren't any royals coming through to take them up. When the 73 year old Princess Royal is the one to take over the CWGC it says a lot about the lack of young royals to take over from the 80+ year olds. In what other 'job' in the world would a 70+ year old be expected to replace an 80+ year old.

Charles is happy with no working royals under 40 and only 4 under 70. He doesn't care that there will be 100s of charities that will lose royal patrons and William's comments last week make it clear that he and Catherine won't be picking up 100s as has been the 'norm' for decades now.

The late Queen had 8 in her generation at its height and Charles had 6 in his. William will have 2 in his generation of working royals.

In 2018 there were 15 working royals. Now there are 9/10 and in 10 years time there will probably be 7 at most and all of them over 50. Add another 10 years and William and Catherine will have to have their kids working in their 20s not 30s like they were able to do.

I'd like to see Beatrice and Eugenie take up Royal duties. Being young mothers they could do it parttime (if they wanted to, of course). I see no reason their parents should hold them back; every time i see them doing something for their own charities, people look happy and pleased to see them. And, no disrespect to the very old working Royals, who are and have been wonderful, I would imagine that more people would recognise these two younger women as Royals, who are often in magazines that I see at the supermarket. Much more often than the Kents or Gloucesters.

And since I'm probably dreaming, let's bring in Lady Louise and call her what she really should be (IMO) Princess Louise of Edinburgh. After all, if there can be a 'Princess Lilibet of Sussex' in the USA... However Louise is probably too busy at university.

But back to the Kents; I'm sorry not to see the Duke of Kent starting to really slow down, such a gentleman.

I do think we have to accept the fact that neither Charles nor William want the Yorks - and have never wanted them. This is nothing to do with their parents - simply that Charles seems to have said, while they were still very little, that they weren't going to be working royals. I have heard he wanted them stripped of their royal titles back in the early 1990s but the late Queen wouldn't hear of it - having been a Princess 'of York' herself.

I don't think Louise wants to be called Princess. She has been eligible to ask first her grandmother and then her uncle for that right and so far the evidence would suggest that she hasn't done so. I very much doubt that if she had asked the late Queen she would have been turned down although Charles may be less keen.

Is Lucy Worsley, the British historian, author, curator and television presenter related to Katharine, Duchess of Kent and her father Sir William Worsley, 4th Baronet, Lord-lieutenant of North Riding?

:previous: This is a very informative article.
I shall inform my cousin. He often speaks about Lucy Worsley.

I do think we have to accept the fact that neither Charles nor William want the Yorks - and have never wanted them. This is nothing to do with their parents - simply that Charles seems to have said, while they were still very little, that they weren't going to be working royals. I have heard he wanted them stripped of their royal titles back in the early 1990s but the late Queen wouldn't hear of it - having been a Princess 'of York' herself.

I don't think Louise wants to be called Princess. She has been eligible to ask first her grandmother and then her uncle for that right and so far the evidence would suggest that she hasn't done so. I very much doubt that if she had asked the late Queen she would have been turned down although Charles may be less keen.

As far as I'm aware Louise didn't/doesn't have to ask anyone. She is entitled to use in the same way as Beatrice and Eug, she just chooses not to.

Yes the Duke seems to be handing over many of his roles and patronages to others, I think now with clear health issues it is likely he appears much less if at all from now.

Well, no one can say he hasn't been dedicated. At 88, he has earned a little rest.

But the problem (too few royals) seems to be a worrisome issue on many sides. (Even the Wall Street Journal has weighed in on the matter).

But who? The York girls are an obvious choice, but one the King seems reluctant to make.

Zara is popular but too busy; Louise is young and at school.

Harry is unwilling and most likelly wouldn't be wanted anyway. So who's left?

Back
Top Bottom