The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory"

Actually, on rereading, some of this statement is downright bloody rude. Who do they thing they're talking to?

They’re clearly talking to a family, a boss, an institution, and a public that they have no respect for. It’s been said in a million little ways for some time now but this statement pretty much put it out there in no uncertain terms.

"While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory"

Actually, on rereading, some of this statement is downright bloody rude. Who do they thing they're talking to?

Isn't that sweet of them? THey were surely told this weeks ago...

You’re definitely not the only one who caught it and, frankly, that particular statement tells me that the reports from yesterday of Meghan’s tantrum and statements that they can’t legally stop her from using “Royal” might have been a whole lot closer to the mark than a lot of people want to admit. These two have been walking that disrespectful and defiant border for quite some time but this whole statement jumped right on it and did a little dance. I 100% agree with you that this won’t end well. For either of them. And at this point I’d say it’s a safe bet that relationships with the rest of the family might very well be irreparable or, at the very least, forever changed and not for the better.

Yes, Heather, I agree with you.

There were times pre Meghan I thought the RF walked on eggs with Harry. I saw him as more attention seeking than jovial. With his marriage, I was rooting for him to find the happiness he sought. They had so much going for them.

Little bits of defiance here and there adds up. Did he find his voice with Meghan, who knows. I think he’s volatile. Sadly, I see Meghan using him as a steppingstone. I don’t think she ever respected Her Majesty. With the release of their original statement, Harry’s true colors come through.

I’m sure there was a hissy dance about their titles. I don’t see them ever doing anything quietly. (I never thought I’d see a Prince pitching a job for his wife). For me, the titles are what they were counting on to take them to the bank.

It is very sad. Who knows what this year of waiting will bring but it won’t surprise me if there is more havoc with these folks, there egos are too too big imo. It reeks entitlement extraordinaire. At this point, I really don’t think they deserve any titles at all.

They’re clearly talking to a family, a boss, an institution, and a public that they have no respect for. It’s been said in a million little ways for some time now but this statement pretty much put it out there in no uncertain terms.

Agreed. And given their lack of respect, it makes me wonder just what they (probably) stood to lose if they went ahead and used “royal” anyway.

It wouldn’t seem respect for HM or the rest of the family was an over whelming factor in their magnanimous decision to not use the word even though they have the legal right to do so.

Agreed.

For all the talk from “sources”, fans, etc about them not really caring about being royal or titles, wanting to be “royal” is clearly quite important to them. They made that painfully clear.

So- yeah- they like being royal when and how it suits them. They’re not, imo, as “normal” nor do they WANT to be as “normal”, as they’re often being credited for.

i agree. they definitely want to cling on to anything that gives them clout for their own *(economic and credibility) benefit.

Part of what puts me off about pretty much every statement and interview they’ve done is that they seem so self centred for people who claim to want to spend their lives helping others.

They go on about how much sympathy they have for strangers in need, but seem to have no recognition that they aren’t the first British royals to have had major problems.

The cynical part of me acknowledges that sustaining this dramatic narrative as long as possible is good for the sort of brand they seem to want to create. They now traffic in website clicks and Instagram likes and episodic, (unnecessary), updates hinting at conflict involving the British Royal Family will keep those topped up much more than straightforward posts about charity work.

you are right about your statement about them wanting to create a brand of 'caring for those in need' but in the end it is all about 'me me me'. the fact that they hijacked the south africa tour with a video report saying how difficult their life was, how hard the press was on them, how hard harry's relationship with william is, how 'no one asked me (meghan) how she was feeling'... when they were meeting daily victims of rape, of violence, of discrimination.

There are reports circulating that she basically had a tantrum about the whole thing and told her friends that “the use of the word Royal really shouldn’t matter anyway,” “they can’t legally stop her from using the word Royal,” “as a family they will always be considered royalty,” and “Harry and Archie have Royal blood and no one can take that away.” Along with a host of other things that, if even kind of true, paint her in a very, very bad light.

look, if she is planning to deflect to what is 'legal' then she lost all sense of direction. this is not about what is legal or not legal - this is about class, dignity and respect for her in laws who have given her so much. she seems to have lost (or never had) any of the above if she is planning to stick to the argument of what they can’t legally stop her from doing. she can go ahead and continue using 'sussex royal', and that will further become a media circus when the crown sues her. if she thinks that is going to make her brand or her reputation strong by having a public fight with the queen and her office, i think she has lost all sense of logic and common sense. (sadly, seeing how they act and operate, i believe these rumours may carry truth and that indeed she has lost all sense of logic and common sense.)

Sadly, I see Meghan using him as a steppingstone. I don’t think she ever respected Her Majesty.

i suspected this from the start. the length of their courtship, how she didn't seem to have a relationship with many of her family/old friends, how she rose to fame in her career, how she divorced from her first husband as soon as she landed a big role, how she behaved as if she was the centre of attention during her engagement period, how they treated the press during archie's birth/christening...

i think harry has issues with his role and position and meghan found an easy target in him due to this. his actions have hardly been spotless lately (he's been acting like a spoiled child) and i suspect it may have to do with her influence (but possibly also his background of being mentally unwell).

Last edited:
Agreed. And given their lack of respect, it makes me wonder just what they (probably) stood to lose if they went ahead and used “royal” anyway.

It wouldn’t seem respect for HM or the rest of the family was an over whelming factor in their magnanimous decision to not use the word even though they have the legal right to do so.

Perhaps the leverage was money being withheld for the coming year....

They are a disgrace and I agree this was complaining. I am really horrified at this statement and hope that this is not going to be their preference that each time something happens they don't like they have a public whinge. Honestly IMO this whole thing is going to be a real problem for HM I am really sad for her

I couldn’t agree more. There behaviour is deplorable. My current thought is cut them off with nothing.

I’m sure there was a hissy dance about their titles. I don’t see them ever doing anything quietly. (I never thought I’d see a Prince pitching a job for his wife). For me, the titles are what they were counting on to take them to the bank.

And there it is. There is the light bulb moment for me that reminds me of just why I thought their recent statement was so very weird. I thought the same thing that I thought not so long ago in a different situation. My thought was "Pride goes before a fall and he/they are standing at the edge of a cliff without a parachute".

A disastrous interview. A disastrous statement. Very similar and words from the horse's mouth are telling and paint a picture that shows far more than any "sources close to the palace" or "someone close to the couple" could ever paint.

It did not do the Sussexes any favors. It did not serve any good purpose or garner any kind of good will and hope looking towards the future at all. It came at a very illogical time when it would be so much more to their advantage to be seen in March as people that actually cared about the final engagements they were coming to do rather than throwing a wet blanket over them that distracts from exiting with grace and dignity and hope for the future in their new life and new endeavors.

When one starts with throwing a negative seal of disapproval on something, its very hard to reverse it to garner approval. I don't know what their future plans are for their "entity" that shall not be named (yes, I'm a Harry Potter fan) but why on earth release a statement that has a lot of allusions and illusions, discontent and making statements that can be seen almost as biting the hand the used to feed you?

Its cast a black cloud over this upcoming return to the UK to do the final engagements as senior working royals. If they were/are counting on their allure and draw as working royals to automatically transfer to their new, private life, I think they may end up being sorely disappointed. I'm sure they will still garner interest and work and strive to make a difference in the world but perhaps it will seem different. Rather than being a "brand name" liquor like Crown Royal whiskey (Canadian), they'll be more "bottom shelf" or "in the well" whiskey of the everyday drinking person. :D

I don't know what the future holds for this couple and I wish them well but, like all of us, we're prone to making some bad decisions that we just have to end up living with.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are living in fear for a many reasons. I've mentioned before about them not wanting Archie to have a title but not giving up their titles. They desperately want their titles to make money for whomever. Sadly they are hurting their family, are confused and really do need guidance . Once again I hope the best for them.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Transition & Future

Harry used to garner a lot of positive PR for being seen as normal, down to earth, wanting to be treated like everyone else. He also talked about not wanting to be royal or living the royal life. When Archie was born a lot of their decisions were made out of a desire for normalcy for him, according to what they said. Part of their rational for this half in/half out was supposedly for a more normal life. I’m not saying there wasn’t and isn’t truth to that.

But the level of entitlement they’ve shown, particularly with their obvious anger at not being able to use the word “royal” really undercuts that image imo.

Last edited:
I’m very cynical at this point carlota...

In my opinion, Harry has always been an attention seeking man-child. He seemed happiest in the military and comes across as an angry, jealous young man.

It seems to me that he has met his match in Meghan when it comes to want. I think she has played him like a fiddle using all of his weaknesses to her strength. It’s as if she loads the gun and he fires the bullets. I’ll say it, I really don’t think she loves him, the person.

Regarding all this financial independence stuff I really don’t see it. There’s something you see on a man’s face as he watches his son taking a step into his own life. Here, I think only of worry on his father’s. I get the sense their want to monetize Harry’s birth right. Jmo

There are reports circulating that she basically had a tantrum about the whole thing and told her friends that “the use of the word Royal really shouldn’t matter anyway,” “they can’t legally stop her from using the word Royal,” “as a family they will always be considered royalty,” and “Harry and Archie have Royal blood and no one can take that away.” Along with a host of other things that, if even kind of true, paint her in a very, very bad light.

Oh good lord. IF that’s true, she sounds like spoiled brat. Worse, it would prove that Meghan just does NOT understand anything about the BRF and what it means to be Royal. It doesn’t matter whether it’s legal or not; the reason the Queen and Charles don’t want she and Harry to use “Royal” has nothing to do with legalities and everything to do with propriety. She doesn’t seem to care (and if Harry isn’t discouraging her from this behavior, he’s at fault as well) that the BRF have an image to maintain (and I mean that in the best way). HM, Charles and William are not going to allow the monarchy, the BRF, to be tarnished with their endeavors. They can’t allow it or else the monarchy ceases to be special and they become ordinary. Meghan seems to think she’s special, but she’s not special enough to damage a 1000 year old institution. As to the last point, sigh ..she and Harry are the ones who wanted to leave; everyone else wanted them to stay.

They sound as if they are deigning to do the Queen a favor...

I couldn’t agree more. There behaviour is deplorable. My current thought is cut them off with nothing.

Then the BRF lose whatever leverage they have regarding them- like the use of the word “royal.”

Perhaps the leverage was money being withheld for the coming year....

Its a bit difficuclt for the RF to do that though. They don't want him to "starve" by their standards and if he was kept short of money he and Meg might go in for more crassly commercial activiites.

Harry used to garner a lot of positive PR for being seen as normal, down to earth, wanting to be treated like everyone else. He also talked about not wanting to be royal or living the royal life. When Archie was born a lot of their decisions were made out of a desire for normalcy for him, according to what they said. Part of their rational for this half in/half out was supposedly for a more normal life. I’m not saying there wasn’t and isn’t truth to that.

But the level of entitlement they’ve shown, particularly with their obvious anger at not being able to use the word “royal” really undercuts that image imo.

It is kind of amusing that they didn't want Archie to use the normal courtesty title that he would usually have....but now they are snarking about not being allowed to use the word Royal...

Keep in mind all the reports of William and Harry not respecting their father. Now, I’m sure much of that is just even adult kids being ridiculous at times, and we know that it’s also far more complicated than that because of everything they’ve all been through together. Father and sons relationships have no doubt changed over time, primarily for the better - especially now with William and Charles. My point is that, given the above, should we really be surprised if Harry shows disrespect to not just his father, but the Queen? His brother whom he’s still not truly mended fences with? Yes, he is close to HM, yes he loves his father and brother, but you can love someone dearly and still be disrespectful, still be impudent, stubborn, etc..

Keep in mind all the reports of William and Harry not respecting their father. Now, I’m sure much of that is just even adult kids being ridiculous at times, and we know that it’s also far more complicated than that because of everything they’ve all been through together. Father and sons relationships have no doubt changed over time, primarily for the better - especially now with William and Charles. My point is that, given the above, should we really be surprised if Harry shows disrespect to not just his father, but the Queen? His brother whom he’s still not truly mended fences with? Yes, he is close to HM, yes he loves his father and brother, but you can love someone dearly and still be disrespectful, still be impudent, stubborn, etc..
It doesn't sound to me as if he's close to the queen, sounds like he didn't understand at all how the monarchy works and thought that she was going to let him drop out of royal work part of the time.. and to make money as and when he pleased.

Reminds me of the quote by Mark Twain that goes "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

How sons view their father (or grandmother) perhaps isn't really realized until after they've grown up and left the nest into the world. Harry is just starting to do that now and those of us who have already stepped out of the nest and made our own way in life already realize this. Harry is just starting to forge a life ahead outside of the gilded cage he's been in for 35 years. ?

Oh good lord. IF that’s true, she sounds like spoiled brat. Worse, it would prove that Meghan just does NOT understand anything about the BRF and what it means to be Royal. It doesn’t matter whether it’s legal or not; the reason the Queen and Charles don’t want she and Harry to use “Royal” has nothing to do with legalities and everything to do with propriety. She doesn’t seem to care (and if Harry isn’t discouraging her from this behavior, he’s at fault as well) that the BRF have an image to maintain (and I mean that in the best way). HM, Charles and William are not going to allow the monarchy, the BRF, to be tarnished with their endeavors. They can’t allow it or else the monarchy ceases to be special and they become ordinary. Meghan seems to think she’s special, but she’s not special enough to damage a 1000 year old institution. As to the last point, sigh ..she and Harry are the ones who wanted to leave; everyone else wanted them to stay.

I think Meghan understood it perfectly to know how much her image would be elevated by marrying into the royal family.

Its a bit difficuclt for the RF to do that though. They don't want him to "starve" by their standards and if he was kept short of money he and Meg might go in for more crassly commercial activiites.

True Denville...but when a man starts on his own, he usually has to downsize. He has enough money to buy a nice home and provide for his family. Dip into your bank account. Surely he doesn’t expect the same luxuries his father has, oh wait, me thinks he does. In my eyes he had yet to learn self respect.

I have scanned over the recent posts here and I have got to say. I see why Harry has taken this action and has left the family and the UK. Harry and Meghan have left the UK and will make their own money and pay rent when they're in the UK and they have paid back the money for their home remodel in Windsor and many still complain and are not satisfied.

This is unbelievable! Leave them alone.

Reminds me of the quote by Mark Twain that goes "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

How sons view their father (or grandmother) perhaps isn't really realized until after they've grown up and left the nest into the world. Harry is just starting to do that now and those of us who have already stepped out of the nest and made our own way in life already realize this. Harry is just starting to forge a life ahead outside of the gilded cage he's been in for 35 years. ?

I love that quote, lol - it’s the truth!

I think you’re right. I think that often it’s only after children have grown and experienced what their parents went through that they truly understand them. Harry being indulged as a boy might be coming home to roost now as he just can’t get whatever he wants. He sees his brother getting his own “court”, but of course that’s due to his being a future King. For all that Harry reportedly has been glad he’s never been in William’s position, it sometimes seems as if he’s had a hard time dealing with being second, even if he’s never been second in terms of how much he’s loved

I have scanned over the recent posts here and I have got to say. I see why Harry has taken this action and has left the family and the UK. Harry and Meghan have left the UK and will make their own money and pay rent when they're in the UK and they have paid back the money for their home remodel in Windsor and many still complain and are not satisfied.

To each their own. I respect everyone on here with all our differing opinions.

But I will say, one doesn’t usually bite the hand that feeds them.

They are bringing the negativity on themselves by their own words— the current statement on their website, the original statement that blew all this up and the documentary interview. It all reflects badly—on them.

Please note that all posts speculating Harry's paternity have been deleted.

I love that quote, lol - it’s the truth!

I think you’re right. I think that often it’s only after children have grown and experienced what their parents went through that they truly understand them. Harry being indulged as a boy might be coming home to roost now as he just can’t get whatever he wants. He sees his brother getting his own “court”, but of course that’s due to his being a future King. For all that Harry reportedly has been glad he’s never been in William’s position, it sometimes seems as if he’s had a hard time dealing with being second, even if he’s never been second in terms of how much he’s loved

Maybe a little off topic but your post reminded me of something Harry said a time ago...no one wants to be king or queen. I found that odd back then— wondering to this day, what did that statement accomplish...

Harry and Meghan have left the UK and will make their own money and pay rent when they're in the UK and they have paid back the money for their home remodel in Windsor [...]

It appears that not all the decisions announced by Buckingham Palace in January were final; several have been rowed back.

Buckingham Palace gave out in January that:
a. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were to pay a commercial rate of rent for their residence in the United Kingdom and had "shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grand expenditure" used in its refurbishment.
b. The Duke of Sussex was to step back from his official military appointments.
c. The couple, while remaining HRH, were to be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex from spring 2020.

These decisions were subsequently changed:
a. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to pay a peppercorn (token) rent, not a commercial rate, for their UK residence, and there is no reference to repaying the expenditure for refurbishment in the "Spring 2020 Transition" announcement.
b. The Duke of Sussex is to retain his official military appointments.
c. The couple are to formally remain known as HRH.

Many people nowadays see any news they see on social media - particularly Twitter I've noticed - as fact and don't bother to check it for accuracy or lack of. I think this is one of the reasons why tabloids have remained widely read. People tend to just want the juicy gossip rather than the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom