The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve just read this one:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-having-heart-heart-Charles-Palace-aides.html

The telegraph has this one:

https://archive.is/9aYCo

And The Sunday Times has a very acid one but, as it is an opinion piece, i can only offer to PM it.

Thank you very much. The Daily Mail article includes a link to the original exclusive from Matt Wilkinson in the Sun (in this aspect, the Daily Mail's website is more responsible than the websites of many more 'respectable' newspapers, whose web articles often neglect to link to their sources). Here is the direct link:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/royals/26011068/prince-harry-charles-sandringham-stay-blocked/

The key quotes:

[...]

The Sun on Sunday can reveal Harry, 39, planned for a long heart-to-heart with his dad.

He had even hoped to join the King — recuperating from cancer treatment — for a few days at Sandringham.

But instead he was instructed to visit Clarence House, his dad’s London home, for a short managed face-to-face meeting — and then told to get himself a hotel for the night.

[...]

When Charles rang his younger son to reveal his shock cancer diagnosis, Harry “took it upon himself” to fly to London.

But after landing at Heathrow on February 6 he was told not to set off for Norfolk, where the King, 75, was planning to spend time with Queen Camilla, 76.

As Charles delayed his departure for Sandringham, Harry was directed to go to Clarence House.

He spent 45 minutes inside, but only around half an hour with his father.

An insider revealed: “Harry came over to see his father, expecting to go to Sandringham. But instead he was asked to be at Clarence House and was restricted to 30 minutes.

“The fear was that if he went to Sandringham they would never get rid of him.”

[...]

Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

Odd story considering Harry was confirmed for days in advance to attend the NFL Hionors.

As for the NFL? The woman who did the voice over announcement on the show went on her social media the next day talked about it. She said how the “secret guest” had been known about but only a small group of people knew the identity. She only learned the night before (about 24 hours) that it was Harry because as the announcer she needed to practice.

Even the Commissioner of the NFL spoke of how he personally invited him.

So based on that info, not sure how Harry was planning on spending days in Sandringham. Clearly no one had a clue he was going to Vegas except those in the loop.

Presumably all of the Duke's public engagements in the US, Canada, etc. are planned well in advance, but that does not disprove the suggestion that he "hoped to join the King — recuperating from cancer treatment — for a few days at Sandringham". The King's cancer treatment was always expected to be of long duration (per the palace's refusal to specify when the King will resume a full schedule), so it would surely be possible (in theory) for the Duke to have "a few days" free before his father's treatment completed.

Interesting article in The Times:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-harry-return-royal-role-king-charles-cancer-dn8tcm8nd
Reports that Harry is interested in a temporary royal return to assist KCIII.
I skeptically read that as making a move before the possibility of a King William, who may be less likely to welcome him back.

The Kate Mansey article in the Times states that Buckingham Palace declined to comment, but anonymous "palace sources" responded in the Telegraph in a piece by Hannah Furness and Patrick Sawer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-royal-role-prince-harry-king-charles-cancer/

An archived version was posted abovethread by Ghost.

The Duke and his father recently spent around 30 minutes together at Clarence House, after Prince Harry flew back to Britain having learned of the King’s cancer diagnosis.
It is understood that the matter was not discussed in that meeting, at which the Queen was present, with no formal conversations taking place about the Duke’s return.
Palace sources have emphasised that the King’s illness will not change the terms of the Sandringham Summit agreement, in which the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s exit from the working Royal family was negotiated in detail.
“Those terms were quite clear, and the King’s illness hasn’t altered that,” said one source.
Another confirmed that the express views of the late Queen, the King and the Prince of Wales, that a hybrid model of working royalty was not appropriate, “remains the case”.

How could he spend a few days in Sandringham when he literally had to be back in the states 48 hours later? He saw his father. Was in the air the next day for many many hours and then was in Vegas.

If Harry truly had planned to spend days he surely wouldn’t plan it around such a tight schedule. [.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
How could he spend a few days in Sandringham when he literally had to be back in the states 48 hours later? He saw his father. Was in the air the next day for many many hours and then was in Vegas.

If Harry truly had planned to spend days he surely wouldn’t plan it around such a tight schedule. [.....]

Is it not possible that he could have hoped to spend a few days in Sandringham later on, after his scheduled engagements were over?

Is it not possible that he could have hoped to spend a few days in Sandringham later on, after his scheduled engagements were over?

I mean anything is possible. But one would think he would have just planned the visit for after Vegas and Canada if that were the case. Instead he seemed to squeeze it in. Seems to me all parties understood it was just a quick visit. Not like Harry spends a lot of time in the UK these days.

odd that harry has offered his assistance 'on a temporary basis' to help whilst his dad recovers. i personally don't think there is a chance that would happen. whilst there are little people who can take on his duties (just really camilla, W&K, the edinburghs and anne), i think they'd be mad to let him in again after the damage they've done.

and shame on him if he is using this opportunity to revive his half in half out proposal.

Completely agree ?

That's bizarre and a little unkind briefing from the Palace if what the Sun is reporting is true. "If he went to Sandringham they feared they'd never be rid of him." What is that even supposed to mean? Lol. He has a family in California. Did they think he was going to camp out on the lawn at Sandringham indefinitely?

It was a nice gesture of Harry to make and I was happy to see him go at the time but that briefing is a pretty clear message in and of itself; hopefully he heeds it. Send a card next time and focus on your own life.

I guess we will have to wait for … [Omid Scobie] to enlighten us all.

And yes, Anna1519, IF what The Sun is reporting is true, it is a clear and undeniable message.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's bizarre and a little unkind briefing from the Palace if what the Sun is reporting is true. "If he went to Sandringham they feared they'd never be rid of him." What is that even supposed to mean? Lol. He has a family in California. Did they think he was going to camp out on the lawn at Sandringham indefinitely?

It was a nice gesture of Harry to make and I was happy to see him go at the time but that briefing is a pretty clear message in and of itself; hopefully he heeds it. Send a card next time and focus on your own life.

In an ideal world, we all want to see happy families, but sadly, life does not always work out like that. I think Harry is probably visibly now seeing the consequences of his actions. He has knowingly, willingly and deliberately caused a lot of upset and pain for his family. In that context, to me, it is understandable for an ailing King to want to limit the time he wants to spend with his warring son. The King's energies need to be focussed on his recovery, as well as bearing the heavy responsibilities of being Head of State, rather than hearing what Harry now has to say.

Last edited:
The British press would love the Duke of Sussex back in Great Britain; clearly however they are afraid of his litigiousness:))

That's bizarre and a little unkind briefing from the Palace if what the Sun is reporting is true. [...]

And yes, Anna1519, IF what The Sun is reporting is true, it is a clear and undeniable message.

"Insider" is a vague term which could cover any number of individuals who have their own opinions, and the article does not indicate that they were briefing on behalf of the king or palace.

And The Sunday Times has a very acid one but, as it is an opinion piece, i can only offer to PM it.

If you provide the link for the Sunday Times, it can be archived.

If you provide the link for the Sunday Times, it can be archived.

Ghost was referring to the forum rule against posting opinion pieces/opinion videos relating to the Sussexes (the rule does not apply to discussions about other royals):

Not wanted: opinion columns, opinion news shows or opinion vlogs. [...]

In an ideal world, we all want to see happy families, but sadly, life does not always work out like that. I think Harry is probably visibly now seeing the consequences of his actions. He has knowingly, willingly and deliberately caused a lot of upset and pain for his family. In that context, to me, it is understandable for an ailing King to want to limit the time he wants to spend with his warring son. The King's energies need to be focussed on his recovery, as well as bearing the heavy responsibilities of being Head of State, rather than hearing what Harry now has to say.

Except the story says his staff blocked Harry from spending extra time with his father because they fear reconciliation. That’s not the King’s actions but others. If the story is to be believed that is…

Surely, if the King had really wanted to spend more time with Harry, he would have done, regardless of what staff members wanted. It's quite possible that he was just tired, and wanted to get to Sandringham in peace and quiet.

Last edited:
I saw a quote somewhere along the lines of "Every time Prince Harry comes back to England reminds him why he left."

If visiting his father during the latter's cancer battle and offering any assistance he can brings about so much scorn, why bother? Other than, of course, the love he has for his father.

It's ironic, because if HRH The Duke of Sussex would have done the NFL and Invictus events without mentioning HM The King at all, then he would have been accused of being heartless in the face of his family's medical struggles. Now...he's taking advantage of them for events planned long in advance?

TRH The Sussexes are damned if they do, damned if they don't. There's no point in trying to appeal to people who bear a grudge for events that happened over two years ago; instead, they should focus on their children and their businesses.

Except the story says his staff blocked Harry from spending extra time with his father because they fear reconciliation. That’s not the King’s actions but others. If the story is to be believed that is…

I would note that this is the same story Harry has told previously about his grandmother- that he wanted to spend time with her and thinks she would have accepted his half in/half out proposal but was blocked from doing so by Sir Edward Young ( “the bee” in Spare). This current story, that the King is open to having Harry to come back but courtiers and Prince William are blocking it mirrors that one very closely.

That could be the tabloids recycling the narrative of course.

Surely, if the King had really wanted to spend more time with Harry, he would have done, regardless of what staff members wanted. It's quite possible that he was just tired, and wanted to get to Sandringham in peace and quiet.

Quite right. If the King truly wanted to spend more time with Harry, it would have happened. I have no doubt that this was the King's decision.

HenRach Dominion. I respectively disagree about one point in your comment.

I think your posts are ALWAYS on point and interesting, even if sometimes I don't agree with the comment.

I just want to say from my perspective, and say that these "events that happened over two years ago" isn't accurate.
Spare was released a year ago. Jan 2023. As did the Interviews that accompanied it. That's why feelings are still so raw.

Last edited:
HenRach Dominion. I respectively disagree about one point in your comment.

I think your posts are ALWAYS on point and interesting, even if sometimes I don't agree with the comment.

I just want to say from my perspective, and say that these "events that happened over two years ago" isn't accurate.
Spare was released a year ago. Jan 2023. As did the Interviews that accompanied it. That's why feelings are still so raw.

You're right, Granada. It's has only been over one year, not two.

I would note that this is the same story Harry has told previously about his grandmother- that he wanted to spend time with her and thinks she would have accepted his half in/half out proposal but was blocked from doing so by Sir Edward Young ( “the bee” in Spare). This current story, that the King is open to having Harry to come back but courtiers and Prince William are blocking it mirrors that one very closely.

That could be the tabloids recycling the narrative of course.

Yes, I agree. Wherever the narrative is originating (the media or the Sussex's), its certainly one that's been peddled out before.

Yes, I agree. Wherever the narrative is originating (the media or the Sussex's), its certainly one that's been peddled out before.

Or the palace…

And agreed. Either way facts still remain it’s an odd story considering Harry had immediate plans. Staying around for extra days was never happening.

If I recall correctly we are not allowed to post the link to the articles from "non-trusted" sources so I will only recommend you to check the daily mail website- photos from Meghan's childhood resurfaced.

If I recall correctly we are not allowed to post the link to the articles from "non-trusted" sources so I will only recommend you to check the daily mail website- photos from Meghan's childhood resurfaced.

Semi-reliable

“Semi-Reliable Sources
The Daily Mail
Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror
Daily Express
The Sun
Vanity Fair
People Magazine”

Another cousin who hasn’t seen her in over two decades. “I hope we can reconnect” Not after selling pictures to tabloids. Cute pictures though.

Back
Top Bottom