The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody is saying the UK is perfect but if they had taken their time and sorted something out and thought through a plan that did not involve Charles subsidising them they probably would have been fine. Charles provided transition money, but they obviously expected more. Basically they wanted the perks and kudos of being connected to the RF but not the work. Blanket statements like things that go on in the UK isn’t exactly helpful.

I understand you feel that way and we’ll continue to agree to disagree. I just have different thoughts and views as you do. I also think what they wanted was different than what you’ve stated. In my eyes, they were happy to work on the behalf of the RF as long as they could fund themselves and not be involved in the Rota system or be beholden to the tabloids and the reporters who work for those tabloids that make up the rote. As, being publicly funded was the stick to beat them with when it came to that.

I just don’t think it was safe and others do. I’m not even on about Charles and funding them. I have thoughts on that, that differ as well.

Though I do understand how it looks to you.

I agree that I don’t think she was prepared for a lot of the backlash. Sometimes you think you will be able to handle things and then realize you can’t.

True. Though some of it and a main driving factor of it. She couldn’t have been prepared for and the silence around that was deafening.

Last edited by a moderator:
In one of the books, she complained that there was no one to cook meals and she was very surprised by the size of the cottage they were living in so

I recall that it was in "Spare." However I don't have my copy at hand, so my recollection might be mistaken.

Overall, we'll have to agree to disagree. They still had drones flying over them in the UK for the Cotswold home I believe. I also believe that's the reason why ended up not staying at that home / moved in, I have double check.

But given some of the things in the UK. I can understand why didn't feel safe. I see it the same way but overall, we'll have to disagree here.

For your last point, would you mind a private message. I don't really mind explaining what I mean but it's also not a topic I want to get stuck on in this thread and have a bunch of replies to and etc.

The couple were still having issues with drones when they came to the U.S. and stayed at Tyler Perry's home. Here's articles from that period of time and when reports were made.

https://www.newsweek.com/meghan-mar...-archie-tyler-perry-mansion-hollywood-1506980

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/05/2...coldwater-canyon-home-are-reported-to-police/

Last edited:
The couple were still having issues with drones when they came to the U.S. and stayed at Tyler Perry's home. Here's articles from that period of time and when reports were made.

https://www.newsweek.com/meghan-mar...-archie-tyler-perry-mansion-hollywood-1506980

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/05/2...coldwater-canyon-home-are-reported-to-police/

Yes, I know know. I was replying to the other person who talked about drones in the US flying over them. I pointed it out that it happened in the UK as well. It’s not as if it didn’t happen in the UK was my point.

Yes, I know know. I was replying to the other person who talked about drones in the US flying over them. I pointed it out that it happened in the UK as well. It’s not as if it didn’t happen in the UK was my point.

Unfortunately I don't see those pesky flying machines going away any time soon. They have their value, but invading the privacy of anyone public figure or not should not be one of their uses.

Unfortunately I don't see those pesky flying machines going away any time soon. They have their value, but invading the privacy of anyone public figure or not should not be one of their uses.

That we agree on. But as long as there is money to be made and a group that will consume the content, not much can be done.

Regarding Byline, the ITV report says that there was a police investigation as well as an internal palace investigation into the leaks allegations and that both investigations found no evidence to support the accusations.

It also says that Harry broke conditions he had agreed to in the Sandringham agreement by refusing to remove the aide's name. I'm not sure how this would be known, since we only have the broad strokes of the agreement, but I can see why action would be taken if Harry insisted on making public the name of a man whom 2 investigations had cleared of leaking/selling stories via his partner.

:previous: Thank you winifred. I'd forgotten that there had been the two investigations and that the person of interest had been cleared.

The ‘clearing’ by the Palace internal investigation consisted of a senior courtier (I believe it was Sir Clive Alderton) asking the person concerned (and his partner) if he had ever taken money for stories. As the person concerned (and partner) denied being friendly with Dan Wootton or even knowing him (which due to the birthday party photo we now know to be untrue) I’m not sure what value can be put on that denial. If someone denies knowing a newspaper editor well and then turns up at a party for the editor’s close friends then that is a lie as far as I’m concerned.

And the police investigation would have concentrated on whether there had been any strictly illegal activity. As the taking of money by an employee’s domestic partner in exchange for stories might well not have been illegal (but certainly unethical) then the police conclusion would be justified.

I agree that I don’t think she was prepared for a lot of the backlash. Sometimes you think you will be able to handle things and then realize you can’t.

Your mental health is everything. However, as with physical help you can gain help for coping mechanisms and see if this reinforcement helps.

Very True but let’s hope that George is an adult before change happens. I doubt the British public would accept him. He could not be trusted as simple as that to do what is right for the people or the country.

Absolutely no chance Harry would be needed for anything. In an event of a regency, heaven forbid, the counsellors of state would just operate as a council and divide work between themselves. There is plenty of them and more eligible.

In one of the books, she complained that there was no one to cook meals and she was very surprised by the size of the cottage they were living in so

She was surprised but the book mentions her friends saying it about the meals. They couldn’t believe they didn’t live in a castle. I too love Netflix American girl meets European Prince films.

Nobody is saying the UK is perfect but if they had taken their time and sorted something out and thought through a plan that did not involve Charles subsidising them they probably would have been fine. Charles provided transition money, but they obviously expected more. Basically they wanted the perks and kudos of being connected to the RF but not the work. Blanket statements like things that go on in the UK isn’t exactly helpful.

Exactly. They just bolted. It almost seems fantastical what they did. They should have done it right and bided their time.

I recall that it was in "Spare." However I don't have my copy at hand, so my recollection might be mistaken.

There is mention of this in Tom Bower's book "Revenge" chapter 25 page 251:

"American girlfriends visiting Meghan in Kensington Palace found a troubled woman. Cooped up in Nottingham Cottage she complained that there were no staff to prepare meals -- no one treated her as royal."

Her dissatisfaction with the size of Nott Cott was made clear in the Netflix program. In "Spare" Harry mentions some personal embarrassment over the humbleness of Nott Cott when Meghan first sees it. She said nothing critical, or at least he didn't mention it, but she made a light joke about the frat boy milieu.

One of the books mentions that they rejected HM's offers of some other Crown accommodations as they felt they were too grand. No mention of any particular property.

Last edited:

"American girlfriends visiting Meghan in Kensington Palace found a troubled woman. Cooped up in Nottingham Cottage she complained that there were no staff to prepare meals -- no one treated her as royal."
We

Her dissatisfaction with the size of Nott Cott was made clear in the Netflix program. In "Spare" Harry mentions some personal embarrassment over the humbleness of Nott Cott when Meghan first sees it. She said nothing critical, or at least he didn't mention it, but she made a light joke about the frat boy milieu.

One of the books mentions that they rejected HM's offers of some other Crown accommodations as they felt they were too grand. No mention of any particular property.
Thank you for doing the research. I just couldn't recall which book I had read it in.

She was a troubled woman because no one made their meals?

She was a troubled woman because no one made their meals?

Exactly. Didn't Meghan have a blog where she always posted recipes she made? Didn't she call herself a "foodie"? Maybe she had made Harry understand that she liked to cook when she actually wanted to be served like a Lady.

I really don't think she wanted to leave being a working royal because she didn't have a chef.

I really don't think she wanted to leave being a working royal because she didn't have a chef.
Of course not, and she had one by the time they left, it’s Harry before marriage who didn’t have one. But it layed the narrative.

Well if she had a chef and I am sure they had staff at Frogmore unless they did their own laundry, cleaning and gardening then I don't really understand why the narrative is she left because she wanted to be waited on. I may be missing something but I really don't see it. I think the reason they left was beyond household chores. I am sure others will disagree but if she knew beforehand what kind of living arrangements Harry, as the son of the heir, had why would she assume that she as a married in would be treated to a life of being waited on.

Harry himself talks about this in Spare. How people do get better housing, different attention and so on after getting married. He insists on this - that they have to get married to get a different status and perks. And that it doesn’t happen in a hurry. He knew, we don’t know how much she understood. But the narrative wasn’t that, it was that they were treated less than others - for example his brother. Samantha spoke about their need to be victims, that “duty of care” in Valentine Low’s book I think.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Ghost. It helps to get insight into differing perspectives.

Harry himself talks about this in Spare. How people do get better housing, different attention and so on after getting married. He insists on this - that they have to get married to get a different status and perks. And that it doesn’t happen in a hurry. He knew, we don’t know how much she understood. But the narrative wasn’t that, it was that they were treated less than others - for example his brother. Samantha spoke about their need to be victims, that “duty of care” in Valentine Low’s book I think.

They all start off in smaller homes and yes when they marry it is eventually upgraded, they were no different to any of the others . I think we should also agree that although the cottage was small in royal terms it was a reasonable home. They moved into Frogmore the following year, The couple themselves stated that they had been in discussions with the family about their plans to move abroad for some time so I could see why there was no further offer for bigger homes. To be honest IMO there was an element of naivety , impatience and probably surprise that they don’t all live in mansions/ palaces or go to the the local high street for the furniture most of it comes out of royal storage.
I am not sure if it is factual they they were offered KP or if that was Chinese
whispers but I think I am correct in saying that Harry is quoted as saying they were offered other places but they weren’t suitable. He was one of 8 grandchildren of the Queen , yes he is now son of the King and if they were still here I honestly believe they would have their country mansion provided by him maybe even before he became King.

They all start off in smaller homes and yes when they marry it is eventually upgraded, they were no different to any of the others . I think we should also agree that although the cottage was small in royal terms it was a reasonable home. They moved into Frogmore the following year, The couple themselves stated that they had been in discussions with the family about their plans to move abroad for some time so I could see why there was no further offer for bigger homes. To be honest IMO there was an element of naivety , impatience and probably surprise that they don’t all live in mansions/ palaces or go to the the local high street for the furniture most of it comes out of royal storage.
I am not sure if it is factual they they were offered KP or if that was Chinese
whispers but I think I am correct in saying that Harry is quoted as saying they were offered other places but they weren’t suitable. He was one of 8 grandchildren of the Queen , yes he is now son of the King and if they were still here I honestly believe they would have their country mansion provided by him maybe even before he became King.

Yes to all that about impatience etc. having seen Frogmore and pecked in the fence. It is plenty big. The Largest house in that area of Windsor and looks beautiful. It’s a big house. He didn’t need another house. Only Charles and a William have a good number. The rest have small places for work in London and wherever they live.

Harry and Meghan were spotted at a Katy Perry concert in Las Vegas on Saturday 4 November.

Meghan fits into this kind of life like a fish in the water. Harry, not so much. One could almost feel sorry for him looking so bored.

The Daily Mail got some snapshot photos of passing moments. In actual video, Harry looks to be having fun and enjoying himself.

The same thing happened with Beyoncé. The first photos of Harry came out and he looked mildly disinterested in that snapshot, but if you look at actual footage, he was dancing by himself, enjoying drinks and loving on his wife.

And checking footage for this event, it seems to be the same thing. It easier tho, if only those snap-shots are shown because it plays into the narrative.

Also, I wouldn’t say attending a concert is any sort of life, it’s attending a concert. People from all walks of life do it. I’m confused about what kind of life attending a concert is.

But, In the videos, they look they’re having fun and one person said Harry told one of the performs that they killed it.

Yesterday, November 6, the Duke of Sussex appeared via video message during the 17th Annual Stand Up For Heroes Benefit in New York City:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Daily Mail got some snapshot photos of passing moments. In actual video, Harry looks to be having fun and enjoying himself.

The same thing happened with Beyoncé. The first photos of Harry came out and he looked mildly disinterested in that snapshot, but if you look at actual footage, he was dancing by himself, enjoying drinks and loving on his wife.

And checking footage for this event, it seems to be the same thing. It easier tho, if only those snap-shots are shown because it plays into the narrative.

Also, I wouldn’t say attending a concert is any sort of life, it’s attending a concert. People from all walks of life do it. I’m confused about what kind of life attending a concert is.

But, In the videos, they look they’re having fun and one person said Harry told one of the performs that they killed it.

I feel like we go through this every time.

Yesterday, November 6, the Duke of Sussex appeared via video message during the 17th Annual Stand Up For Heroes Benefit in New York City:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Nice to see Harry continually supporting things near and dear to his heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why suddenly their spokesman has issued a statement that Harry and Meghan didn't receive any invitation for King's birthday. They have been quiet with the statements for so long and suddenly for such minor issue we have a statement. Perhaps to ousthine the Parliament Opening by the King?

I wonder why suddenly their spokesman has issued a statement that Harry and Meghan didn't receive any invitation for King's birthday. They have been quiet with the statements for so long and suddenly for such minor issue we have a statement. Perhaps to ousthine the Parliament Opening by the King?

I don't believe they issued a statement, I thought they responded to an inquiry but I guess it's pretty much the same thing.

But I don't think they really care about the opening of Parliament. It doesn't have anything to with them. I think they spoke out about because it might be a minor thing now but it's narrative the media has already ran with -that he snubbed his father's invite. They also mentioned they didn't like the way the Sunday Times tried to portray the story.

And this nips it in the bud (at least for them) when photos and etc come out and the media do their thing. Now, when they report or talk about the party, they'll have to also mention that he couldn't snub an invite he didn't receive.

I wonder why suddenly their spokesman has issued a statement that Harry and Meghan didn't receive any invitation for King's birthday. They have been quiet with the statements for so long and suddenly for such minor issue we have a statement.

I suspect the statement was designed to get them into the news cycle again.

Perhaps to ousthine the Parliament Opening by the King?

Entirely possible. Though of course, they cannot outshine a monarch setting out the governments legislative agenda, but they can provide a distraction.

Back
Top Bottom