The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ghost is obviously referring to the last Invictus Games in 2022 when it was all about H&M and not about the veterans.

This not even true. It was very much about vets and their incredible stories. Especially the ones from Ukraine who they secretly arranged to attend as they were freshly in a war. I learned a lot about the athletes but if you only focused on Harry and Meghan (who mainly just watched the games) then that’s not on them.

What I personally think is a bit bad: There are maimed Afghans too - from both sides! And as far as I know, there is not much care for them...

The twisted and often cruel side of marketing a TV show for western audiences, especially here in the USA, is that the majority of characters have to be American or UK soldiers for people to watch. Over here is practically ignored the fact that Afghans and other people from the Middle East fought side by side with these soldiers to fight the Taliban, ISIS, etc.

For example, yesterday I saw a UK news clip attacking young Afghans refuges looking for a new home in the UK and documenting their saga in Tik Tok. They look exactly like any young person here or in the UK, and the negativity from the presenters was downright racist.

The complained on the Afghan youth coming to the UK and no mention they were abandoned by the coalition, that these young people were born and grew up during the occupation to western ideas of freedom and only want to live in the same freedom the soldiers taught them about in Afghanistan and the Middle East.

If Invictus also focused on giving them, Afghans and Middle East soldiers, equal time on TV the show all included Harry would be attacked by the same racists TV presenters. :ermm:
Let's see how this turns out on TV.

Last edited:
Toledo, I completely agree. Netflix wants-needs 'bang for its bucks'. Big viewership numbers.

The Sussex's, really Harry, want-need credibility, to restore their severely tarnished reputation to gain some much needed respect. With a worthy and honorable Invictus Documentary. Something that will stand on its own merits celebrating The Soldiers and their sacrifice.

I guess we will see soon, where the focus lies in Heart of Invictus Series and then The Games.

Last edited:
Toledo, I completely agree. Netflix wants-need 'bang for its bucks'. Big viewership numbers.

The Sussex's, really Harry, want-need credibility, to restore their severely tarnished reputation to gain some much needed respect. With a worthy and honorable Invictus Documentary. Something that will stand on its own merits celebrating The Soldiers and their sacrifice.

I guess we will see soon, where the focus lies in Heart of Invictus Series and then The Games.

We are all concerned the editing will place front and center the Duke and wife in the filler segments, regardless of the hours of footage available. The Netflix editing here has the chance to make H & M get some legitimacy if their participation is set at a minimum. It has the potential to prove not everything is about them and the family quarrels.

I noticed that the Invictus Games documentary trailer didn't get as many views compared to other shows released by Netflix during this period. It doesn't seem like a very profitable content to me. Harry probably means well but other than people supporting Meghan&Harry I don't think this documentary will get that much attention.

:previous: You may well be right however, if Netflix hasn't already got the message in the financial spreadsheets, you don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Seriously, Harry always comes alive when involved with the Invictus Games and if they just keep the cameras out of his face, they will have a fair chance of making a documentary that is actually worth watching. One that fulfils the dream Harry had for it and the Vets themselves.

But that all depends on how savvy and forward thinking the editors are and if they realised that the Vets are what it's all about. If the programme fails, it will fail on the lack of merit on the part of Netflix rather than that of Harry.

Netflix is now in the same precarious financial situation as almost all of the Hollywood and related studios and, if they have failed to learn from their own recent failures and those of many of the big Hollywood studios, then that failure is on them, not Harry.

:previous: You may well be right however, if Netflix hasn't already got the message in the financial spreadsheets, you don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Seriously, Harry always comes alive when involved with the Invictus Games and if they just keep the cameras out of his face, they will have a fair chance of making a documentary that is actually worth watching. One that fulfils the dream Harry had for it and the Vets themselves.

But that all depends on how savvy and forward thinking the editors are and if they realised that the Vets are what it's all about. If the programme fails, it will fail on the lack of merit on the part of Netflix rather than that of Harry.

Netflix is now in the same precarious financial situation as almost all of the Hollywood and related studios and, if they have failed to learn from their own recent failures and those of many of the big Hollywood studios, then that failure is on them, not Harry.

A review of the documentary that I read today suggests that they do concentrate on the veterans stories although Harry is obviously part of the story but not to the detriment of the veterans and the positive effect of sport.

A review of the documentary that I read today suggests that they do concentrate on the veterans stories although Harry is obviously part of the story but not to the detriment of the veterans and the positive effect of sport.

Glad that this was stated in its review. Of course Harry would be a part of the story.

Doria attended the TIAH 5th Anniversary Soiree in Los Angeles, California, on August 26, and posed for photos with Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

The German TV station 'ZDF' has announced that P.Harry will be guest in their sportshow 'Das Aktuelle Sportstudio' on 9 sept. and will be interviewed about the Invictus Games in Düsseldorf.
(i hope this is allowed to post this way, i got the info from ARD tv text)

Heart of Invictus is screened in US for a week, starting last Monday. Harry went to the premiere in Chula Vista. From the article in Hello:
“HELLO! understands that Netflix planned US screeners for this week that Archewell partnered on, and that the Duke wanted to surprise the audience and spend time with veterans in San Diego.”

Interesting, in order to be able to nominate a production for an award, I understand it has to be screened at least for a week.

"Suits" creator Aaron Korsch discussed the then Meghan Markle and the British royal family in a recent interview.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...meghan-markle-line-palace-removed-1235575191/

Aaron Korsch: [...] I will say, and I think Harry put this in the book, because I heard people talking about it — [the royal family] weighed in on some stuff. Not many things, by the way, but a few things that we wanted to do and couldn’t do, and it was a little irritating.

Interviewer: What kinds of things are we talking about here?

Aaron Korsch: I remember one was a particular line of dialogue and, look, I’ll just say what the line was. My wife’s family, when they have a topic to discuss that might be sensitive, they use the word, “poppycock.” Let’s say you wanted to do something that you knew your husband didn’t want to do, but you wanted to at least discuss it, and in just discussing it, you wouldn’t hold him to anything he said, you’d be like, “It’s poppycock.”

So, in the episode, Mike and Rachel [Markle’s character] were going to have a thing, and as a nod to my in-laws, we were going to have her say, “My family would say poppycock.” And the royal family did not want her saying the word. They didn’t want to put the word “poppycock” in her mouth. I presume because they didn’t want people cutting things together of her saying “cock.” So, we had to change it to “bullshit” instead of “poppycock,” and I did not like it because I’d told my in-laws that [poppycock] was going to be in the show. There was maybe one or two more things, but I can’t remember.

Interviewer: Again, this may be a naïve question, but how was the royal family getting or reading scripts?

Aaron Korsch: I don’t know how they got ’em. I was aware that they were reading them because I got the feedback, but I don’t remember the process by which they got them.

Interviewer: And who calls to tell you Meghan can’t utter the word “poppycock”? Or does Meghan herself make that call to you?

Aaron Korsch: No, Meghan did not call me. I can’t remember. It might have been the directing producer at the time, or her agent. Whoever it was, they didn’t like having to tell me any more than I liked having to hear it. But listen, when they explained it that way, and I’m pretty sure it got explained to me that it was about that [splicing potential], I had some sympathy because I wouldn’t want somebody doing that to her either. And the thing is, I didn’t think anybody really would, but also I don’t know. People are crazy.

The other thing that I’ll say is when you’re making and running a show, any time that anybody tells you that you can’t do what you want to do, [being irritated is] your initial reaction. People will often ask me who I most relate to in the show, and I relate to all of them, I’ve had moments of all of them. But Harvey was a dick when he didn’t get his way, and when I didn’t get my way, my reaction would be to be like, “This is bullshit!” But then five minutes later, I’d be like, “Well, OK, it’s pretty reasonable. Whatever.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-aaron-korsch-suits-poppycock-duchess-sussex/

One former Palace aide said they had “no recollection” of scripts being vetted and suggested it was probably an “over zealous” agent.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment. The Duchess’s representatives were contacted for comment.

It doesn't seem like an exaggerated request.
Before joining the Royal Family, Meghan took many compromising/sexually explicit jobs in which she admitted herself that she felt objectified.

Completely guessing - but I doubt the royal family was reading the Suit's script. More likely Meghan didn't like the dialogue and wanted it changed using them as the excuse.

I really wish the press would stop reporting on them completely - I don't know why people find them news. The fact that Harry appears to have become the aunt at the Tea that has to bring everyone's suffering back to herself is concerning. It is very low that you are in any way comparing someone's disability to your trauma. Oh - you were paralyzed - oh - do you know my mom died at 12? Oh, you stepped on a mine bomb - I understand your pain my mom died when I was 12. It is just becoming ridiculous. You should not act the victim for sympathy and TV views. Everyone has trauma of various extents - why does Harry appear to think that he has a monopoly on it?
I like the British royal family stiff upper lip - as when they start talking, they can't seem to shut up.

Completely guessing - but I doubt the royal family was reading the Suit's script. More likely Meghan didn't like the dialogue and wanted it changed using them as the excuse.

I really wish the press would stop reporting on them completely - I don't know why people find them news. The fact that Harry appears to have become the aunt at the Tea that has to bring everyone's suffering back to herself is concerning. It is very low that you are in any way comparing someone's disability to your trauma. Oh - you were paralyzed - oh - do you know my mom died at 12? Oh, you stepped on a mine bomb - I understand your pain my mom died when I was 12. It is just becoming ridiculous. You should not act the victim for sympathy and TV views. Everyone has trauma of various extents - why does Harry appear to think that he has a monopoly on it?
I like the British royal family stiff upper lip - as when they start talking, they can't seem to shut up.

Exactly. I think the everyone should stop just giving these two any oxygen with which to spew their self-inflicted venom. Enough!

Last edited:
:previous:

On the other hand, give a man enough rope?

But the non-stop whining does get old.

The fact that Harry appears to have become the aunt at the Tea that has to bring everyone's suffering back to herself is concerning.

We all have that aunt, don't we [emoji23]

We all have that aunt, don't we [emoji23]

Maybe it's more to do with all he can talk about. He doesn't strike me as a good conversationalist or dinner party partner. Limited conversation. Mostly about him. So just roles it out repeatedly. Anyway it's disheartening.

I'm confused. How does the creator of Suits independently talking about HRH The Duchess of Sussex's time on the show in a small chunk of a two-part interview about Suits in general and its massive success on Netflix in particular lead to TRH The Sussexes being media-hungry? Did she tell him to talk about her?

And once again, the media will stop talking about them when the public stops responding to them.

It is quite the coincidence that the Duchess' name comes up in this conversation. i suppose we can blame the interviewer. OTOH, WME is very powerful and has a very long reach. i

I think it very unlikely that the Palace would have been reviewing scripts of and commenting on what Meghan's line may or may not be.

It is almost beyond ludicrous. Like they interfered in the careers of Armstrong Jones or Tim Lawrence or in what they'll York Girls do or Zara and Peter. Or with Edward and Sophie. In fact theblaxk of interest has led some of them in to choppy water. More likely that that is what Meghan said to get out of saying things she didn't want to do. They obviously didn't interfer in the, ahem, racy scenes she was in.

Well actually she didn’t really have “racy” anything once the relationship was revealed. In fact her entire relationship was toned down. She barely kissed her on screen love interest. Lol. That said it’s interesting info coming from the creator of the show.

Heart of Invictus has been quite a watch so far. Amazing stories. Very well done. Just on the 2nd episode but you can just feel how much it means to them all.

Well actually she didn’t really have “racy” anything once the relationship was revealed. In fact her entire relationship was toned down. She barely kissed her on screen love interest. Lol. That said it’s interesting info coming from the creator of the show.

Heart of Invictus has been quite a watch so far. Amazing stories. Very well done. Just on the 2nd episode but you can just feel how much it means to them all.

Yep. As soon as their relationship was made official, you can see the complete tone-down of Mike and Rachel's relationship in the show. In actual fact, her screen time was reduced too.

I have to agree with that it was probably Meghan's agent and not the Palace giving this feedback.

Given that it wasn't the palace interfering but the directing producer or her agent making this request, it seems the request indeed came from Meghan herself who wanted to make sure that this was cut-out of the show. However, I guess claiming it was the palace would give it more weight.

I havent been able to view Heart of Invictus yet. Looking forward to it. Apparently episode 3 concentrates on the Ukraine. A poster on another forum described it as emotionally wrenching but heart-warming and absolutely wonderful. And that she cried.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/feature...rry-netflix-documentary-interview-1235707024/

‘Has this project reframed how you’ll think about your work going forward?

von Einsiedel: I’m going to give a really simple example. We were filming with Prince Harry in California, with JJ Chalmers and David Wiseman, who were two of the early Invictus competitors. JJ, who was injured in a bomb attack in Afghanistan, said, “Look, my injury has changed the way I look at the world. It’s made me a more understanding and empathetic person.” I probably had a very naive, ableist outlook on what an injury might do to you, so it really blew my mind hearing him say that. A lot of people working on this show learned an enormous amount abou their own prejudices and blind spots.’

Last edited:
Given that it wasn't the palace interfering but the directing producer or her agent making this request, it seems the request indeed came from Meghan herself who wanted to make sure that this was cut-out of the show. However, I guess claiming it was the palace would give it more weight.

Meghan has form using the palace is an excuse to say no, so it was obviously handy!

I don't think it matters how many times Harry mentions his own trauma and issues. He seems to be able to reach out to others with his own story. He doesn't need to lose a limb to suffer trauma. Not all wounds are visible. As long as his speaking out helps others so be it and from what I have seen he is well respected and appreciated by the participants of the games. He suffered a terrible loss as a 12 year old. He carried that with him through his life until he was able to find ways and means to deal with it. You don't always overcome these things by yourself.

He suffered a terrible loss as a 12 year old. He carried that with him through his life until he was able to find ways and means to deal with it. You don't always overcome these things by yourself.

He is not the only person to lose a parent in a tragic accident.
But the way he goes on, you'd think it has never happened to anyone else, ever.

How long is too long? At this point his trauma just seems self-indulgent.

Are there people who would tell anyone who lost a parent, especially at a young age and in a tragic way, to stop talking about it and get over it? I never met anyone like that, but my social circle is limited. If they are such people, I would really be interested in their rationale in doing so.

Back
Top Bottom