The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "Brexit" was coined in 2012 and was already widely used by the British media and general public in 2016, before it had been revealed that Prince Harry's girlfriend was Meghan Markle.

Etymology Corner - Collins Word of the Year 2016 - Collins Dictionary Language Blog

Brexit

Surely the most significant event in British politics for many years occurred on 23 June 2016 when voters decided that Britain should leave the European Union. Even before departure from the EU became a reality, a new word had been coined to describe the act: Brexit. Brexit was on everyone’s lips in 2016, and we even heard about ‘Brexiteers’ (proponents of the vote to leave) and debated the merits of a ‘hard Brexit’ (complete withdrawal) or a ‘soft Brexit’ (a gradual withdrawal while still preserving close ties).

The roots of the word ‘Brexit’ can be traced to 2012, when the economist Ebrahim Rahbari coined the term ‘Grexit’ as a shorthand for ‘Greek exit’, referring to the possibility that Greece might be forced to leave the euro zone as a result of its economic crisis. The term struck a chord, and when the question arose of other countries leaving the EU, journalists played around with variations on the theme. An article in The Economist later in 2012 coined the term ‘Brixit’, but this failed to catch on and by the following year ‘Brexit’ was starting to emerge as the generally preferred term for a British exit.​

The facts of when the term "Megxit" was coined were described by the Collins Dictionary's representative in one of the articles in the original post.

Why ‘Megxit’ is in the dictionary for good as it becomes an official word of the year

Collins, which adeptly monitors word usage by studying sources such as newspapers and social media, found that Megxit was one of the most popular new entries to the lexicon. According to the Times it was first recorded in 2019, when newspapers used it to refer to staff leaving the duchess’s household, but garnered fresh steam after January 8, when the couple announced their intention to step back. Speaking to the Times, a representative at Collins said: ‘It immediately caught on due to its echoes of ‘Brexit’. The use of Meghan’s name has been taken in some quarters as identifying the Duchess as the instigator of the withdrawal.’​

I have been to 3 and invited to 5. Lots of people are invited to the inauguration (actual invites) the majority going to supporters and of course you do have various types of famous people. You don't necessarily have to be a major donor (You do need money to buy tickets to the various events) but often are very active in local politics. Also if you have an "in" You have more opportunity to go to more exclusive events. You have the opportunity to purchase tickets to various other functions. You will not see many from the opposition at these events, why would one pay to go to events celebrating someone you do not support.

d.

I would have thought that since the President is there for all the people, it woudl be a polite gesture to invite some members of the opposition. However if it is mainly for supporters, then if Meg and H were to go to one it would signify that they were supporting Biden overtly.... and that would mean that tehy are involved in party politics...

I would have thought that since the President is there for all the people, it woudl be a polite gesture to invite some members of the opposition. However if it is mainly for supporters, then if Meg and H were to go to one it would signify that they were supporting Biden overtly.... and that would mean that tehy are involved in party politics...

Members of the opposite party that are in government are invited to some events. Again, many decline due to not wanting to go/pay for events. This is nothing new. While it is mainly for supporters I did say if you had an "in" You have access. If this were a normal inauguration Harry and Meghan have several "in's".

Members of the opposite party that are in government are invited to some events. Again, many decline due to not wanting to go/pay for events. This is nothing new. While it is mainly for supporters I did say if you had an "in" You have access. If this were a normal inauguration Harry and Meghan have several "in's".

It would still be a clear indication that they were getting involved in politics... Their "In" is that they are a rich and somewhat famous couple who recently settled in the US and got involved in political activity in the past few months on the Biden side.

I do think it was a thoughtful thing for them to do.

Several posts have been deleted. Comments directed at other posters are unpleasant to read for members who are here to discuss the thread topic, and usually end up derailing the thread. A diversity of opinion is welcome, but should be on topic.

Please be reminded that the Markle family are off-topic. Accordingly, posts about a member of the Markle family giving an interview and subsequent responses have been deleted.

It would still be a clear indication that they were getting involved in politics... Their "In" is that they are a rich and somewhat famous couple who recently settled in the US and got involved in political activity in the past few months on the Biden side.
Hardly! I'm not sure of Meghan but Prince Harry has had a friendship with the Bidens for well over 5 years now. The Bidens have been ardent supporters of the Invictus games and other veteran related activities Prince Harry has supported.

It wouldn't surprise me the least bit to see Harry and Meghan at an inaugural ball. Not for any recent political meddling or interest but because of years of friends and share mutual interest between the Bidens and Prince Harry.

When is something 'a friendship'? It doesn't seem very likely that a 78 year old likes hanging out with a 36 year old and regularly shares intimate details of their lives with each other. Especially since I am not aware of them privately spending lots of time with each other.

They may be acquaintances thanks to their previous roles (vice-president of the USA and senior member of the BRF), seem to have had a fine informal work-relationship and might have some shared interests but that's about it I'd say.

Last edited:
Hardly! I'm not sure of Meghan but Prince Harry has had a friendship with the Bidens for well over 5 years now. The Bidens have been ardent supporters of the Invictus games and other veteran related activities Prince Harry has supported.

It wouldn't surprise me the least bit to see Harry and Meghan at an inaugural ball. Not for any recent political meddling or interest but because of years of friends and share mutual interest between the Bidens and Prince Harry.
If the balls are mainly there to reward supporters, then I'd say that anyone going to them is probably a supporter..

The Mail, Sun and Mirror are all carrying stories today about Harry's friendship with Joe Biden's wife, Dr Jill, and how Joe Biden used to joke about it. They first met in 2012.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ys-close-friendship-Joe-Bidens-wife-Jill.html

https://www.insider.com/photos-show-prince-harry-friendship-joe-biden-2020-11

It that is considered a friendship I am sure the Bidens have thousands of friends... They clearly are friendly with each other and the relationship between the younger generation (especially William and Harry) and the Obama/Biden administration is very different from the one with the Trump/Pence administration but calling them 'friends' overstates their relationship imho.

I would suspect that the Biden's association with Harry stem from Harry's work with the Invictus Games and other incentives that deal with the military. Joe Biden's son, Beau, served in Iraq. Both President Obama and Vice President Biden met up with Harry and enjoyed the Invictus Games together in Toronto in 2017.

I wouldn't classify the friendship between Harry and Biden as a close, personal one but an acquaintanceship where each man has something specific in common and can work together to promote and support causes and incentives that mean something to each of them.

As far as inaugural balls go, we'll never know really if Harry and Meghan would have been invited to attend one of them or not. So far, I don't think I've heard of *any* balls being planned. My guess is that if the Sussexes were to be invited to one of the inaugural balls, it would be the Military Ball. The military ball is one of only three inaugural balls that the newly sworn in President and First Lady make an appearance at.

I don't think there is a friendship between an old man and a mid 30s man. Each got out of the other what they needed. Being invited to a inaugural ball would only be for show. Being seen is everything. Sadly this is what counts today. See who I know.

Everyone knows that there are different types of friendships and certainly different levels. No one is suggesting that Harry is a close and personal friend of the Bidens. However the photos, videos, and comments in the press indicates that there is clearly a long-standing friendship there that goes more than being respectful and polite towards each other.
It that is considered a friendship I am sure the Bidens have thousands of friends... They clearly are friendly with each other and the relationship between the younger generation (especially William and Harry) and the Obama/Biden administration is very different from the one with the Trump/Pence administration but calling them 'friends' overstates their relationship imho.

I don't think there is a friendship between an old man and a mid 30s man. Each got out of the other what they needed. Being invited to a inaugural ball would only be for show. Being seen is everything. Sadly this is what counts today. See who I know.

According to these articles the friendship if there is one, is between Jill Biden and Harry..I agree though. I think it is a social friendship based on a few somewhat similar interests and mutual back scratching... Harry may like Jill Biden but its probably more to do with getting freindly with Demoractic politicans.. and Biden has the cachet of being friendly with a royal... who has now settled in the US.

I am sure they are friendly enough. Close friends? No. But honestly this is just the UK press latching onto a potential interaction due to Harry being in the states and Jill now being First Lady - Elect. That is really all it is. Prepping for potential stories.

So the friendship between Charles and Sir Laurens van der Post wasn't real than either? Or does it only barely possible since it involves Harry. We all know there are various levels of friendship. In fact the Biden's were not the main "in" I was thinking of. Since the beginning of time things have always been about who you know. I am constantly (but shouldn't be) astounded at how goalposts keep changing.

So the friendship between Charles and Sir Laurens van der Post wasn't real than either? Or does it only barely possible since it involves Harry. We all know there are various levels of friendship. In fact the Biden's were not the main "in" I was thinking of. Since the beginning of time things have always been about who you know. I am constantly (but shouldn't be) astounded at how goalposts keep changing.

According to the articles htat have been posted if there is a genuine freindship, its not Biden but his wife..........

Apologies for posting a similar post earlier (on post #83)

Apparently, Harry & Meghan have a "friendship" Jeremy Corbyn due to similar treatment by the tabloid press or political beliefs. This was based on the book Left Out: The Inside Story of Labour Under Corbyn by Gabriel Pogrund and Patrick Maguire. Pogrund and Maguire mentioned his communication with Harry and Meghan at the Commonwealth Day service.

According to The Week article:
Five things we learned from new tell-all book on Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour leadership
From disastrous election polling to splits between old ‘comrades’ over anti-Semitism
https://www.theweek.co.uk/107884/five-things-we-learned-left-out-jeremy-corbyn-book
Republican Corbyn bonded with the Sussexes
In an unlikely meeting of the minds, Corbyn and his wife, Mexican businesswoman Laura Alvarez, bonded with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle over the royal couple’s “treatment at the hands of the tabloid press”, says Left Out.

While attending the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey, Alvarez “slipped them” a collection of writings by 17th-century Mexican poet Juana Ines de la Cruz.

Alvarez “hoped Meghan might find a kindred spirit” in De la Cruz, a nun whose “willingness to attack the hypocrisies of the colonial classes had made her a target for Establishment hate”.

The following day, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex sent a personally signed note of “great thanks” to “Jeremy and Laura”, who had “privately offered sympathy” over their media battles.

“Such was Corbyn’s dislike of the press that it had even convinced him to moderate his lifelong republicanism,” claim Pogrund and Maguire.

I have also looked at the preview of Left Out: The Inside Story of Labour Under Corbyn on Google Books. Unfortunately, some bits have been taken out from the website, since I posted the extract below
https://www.google.com.au/books/edition/Left_Out/HerODwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0
...hypocrisies of the colonial classes had made her a target for establishment hate. In Sister Juana, Alvarez hoped Meghan might find a kindred spirit. The Corbyns had privately offered sympathy for the duchess's treatment at the hands of the tabloid press, whose misdemeanours they felt similarly familiar with. The following day, the Sussexes sent a personally signed note of 'great thanks to Jeremy and Laura' for their support and said they look forward 'to learn more about her life and works!' Such was Corbyn dislike of the mainstream press that it had even convinced him to moderate his lifelong republicanism

As mentioned earlier, I have no problem with Harry & Meghan's private conversation and friendship with the Corbyns, because it's quite similar to Cambridges' friendship with the Obamas or The Queen's friendship with some of her Prime Minister. This friendship is not the same as making "public politics related statements". Again, I do think Jeremy Corbyn and Laura Alvarez are just providing moral support, who happen to share similar opinions.

In terms of Harry and Meghan attending inauguration balls, it is different from having a friendly conversation in private. More problem will arise if most of the attendees are Biden supporters or Democrat Party members.

It always leads back to the press with the Sussexes, doesn’t it?

:previous:

In some cases, it's the courtiers and palace staff or "men in grey suit".

Well I mean it is the tabloids pulling up years old pictures to create a random story about Harry and the Bidens being BFFs.

Last edited:
Apologies for posting a similar post earlier (on post #83)

A
According to The Week article:
Five things we learned from new tell-all book on Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour leadership
From disastrous election polling to splits between old ‘comrades’ over anti-Semitism
https://www.theweek.co.uk/107884/five-things-we-learned-left-out-jeremy-corbyn-book

I have also looked at the preview of Left Out: The Inside Story of Labour Under Corbyn on Google Books. Unfortunately, some bits have been taken out from the website, since I posted the extract below
https://www.google.com.au/books/edition/Left_Out/HerODwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

As mentioned earlier, I have no problem with Harry & Meghan's private conversation and friendship with the Corbyns, because it's quite similar to Cambridges' friendship with the Obamas or The Queen's friendship with some of her Prime Minister. This friendship is not the same as making "public politics related statements". Again, I do think Jeremy Corbyn and Laura Alvarez are just providing moral support, who happen to share similar opinions.

In terms of Harry and Meghan attending inauguration balls, it is different from having a friendly conversation in private. More problem will arise if most of the attendees are Biden supporters or Democrat Party members.

Obviously if the balls are mainly to thanks supporters, H and Meg attending one would look like a thank you from Biden to them as donors or supporters. But I wouldnt be surprised, if there are Inauguration balls.... that they might attned one.

Well I mean it is the tabloids pulling up years old pictures to create a random story about Harry and the Bidens being BFFs.
the press are there to write stories. Biden is now President elect, Harry and Meg have been showing support fro the Democrats and H is friendly with Biden's wife....

I wonder how the British Embassy in DC feels about having a non-working but active Prince in their backyard..

I wonder how the British Embassy in DC feels about having a non-working but active Prince in their backyard..

probably a bit anxious but they can always say "He doesn't speak on behalf of the queen or the govt... he only represnets himself..."

What do they need the communication staff for if it is not for Archewell? I cannot read the article but it references 'the Office of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex'? What is their office about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom